Tier 8 Heavy

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Dark_Magician_Girl #1 Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

Wicked Witch of the West

• Players
  • 50349 battles
  • [_STR8]

Hi everyone, with tier 8 being largely biased towards heavy tanks, I thought I would do a ranking list similar to the tier 9 heavy list, found below.

http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/84086-a-challenger-approaches-post-update-41-best-tier-9-heavy/page__fromsearch__1

I will provide my own thoughts on the "best" tier 9 heavy tanks and I apologize in advance if your favorite tier 9 heavy is at the bottom of the list. This is purely my opinion, and you are free to put in your input.  Hope you enjoy!

*Note: Reviews are done in the style of WoTLabs.  

What do you think is the best tier 8 heavy?  Let me know!

Spoiler

STAR1 NA top 10 all-time ranked player - Blitzstars NA top 10 most winning all-time ranked player - Blitzstars NA top 10 highest career WN8 all-time ranked player - #1 ranked driver E75 STAR1 - Blitzstars 44 different vehicles with top 10 all-time NA WN8 - 40 unique career 3000+ damage averages at high tiers - Captain of 5 top 8 NA professional tournament appearances - Content creator of map meta defining Blitz YT content - 1 of 3 Bushka masterclass candidates.

I am, the Dark Magician Girl

Apple_Pen #2 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6467 battles
  • [SCAMO]
KPZ is the best tier 8 heavy... Dunno why they put it in 9.

Edited by Apple_Pen, 04 October 2017 - 06:35 PM.

Nein

MayoNasalSpray #3 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Players
  • 35463 battles
  • [MSELF]
I would say swap the T32 and Caernarvon's positions.

CryptOh #4 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Twenty Shots One Kill

• Players
  • 40587 battles
I'm only at tier 7 right now but I'm a little surprised the IS-5 is that "bad". I've been looking forward to getting it once I get my supply.
Hide your kids, hide your wife
And hide your husband
Cuz they’re derpin errbody out here

_Cletus #5 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

[edited] Voodoo [edited] Wizard [edited]

• Players
  • 33657 battles
I've been working on tier 8 heavies, this is a very helpful post, thanks much.  I've been working on the AMX 50 100, which has been really difficult but I'm finally starting to get the hang of the autoloader, it's been okay for me the past couple of days.  I also bought for the second time the IS-3, I sucked with it the first time I got it, I didn't like the slow reload, but now that I've improved I'm doing much better with it.  I would like to get the IS-6, but I'm cheap.  I almost have enough gold for the IS-5 so I think I might try to buy it before I quit my crappy clan.  Anyway, mucho gracias.

If it burns when I pee, does that mean I wouldn't be a good fireman?

Barny227 #6 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 44627 battles
  • [III-C]

Pretty spot on.  Seeing all this Caernarvon talk really makes me think I need to cut a ticket and get it back.  I must not be right in the head because I did like the 45.02A. I played it second line and people kind of ignored me in it.

cheasesteak #7 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

• Players
  • 23659 battles
  • [COD-R]

View PostGableHawk, on 04 October 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

I'm only at tier 7 right now but I'm a little surprised the IS-5 is that "bad". I've been looking forward to getting it once I get my supply.

​Based on the stats on compare tanks, it doesn't seem to be all that different from the other IS-spam tanks in gun handling.  There may be some soft stats, who knows?  I haven't driven mine yet (still waiting for spares).

CryptOh #8 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

Twenty Shots One Kill

• Players
  • 40587 battles

View PostBarny227, on 04 October 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

Pretty spot on.  Seeing all this Caernarvon talk really makes me think I need to cut a ticket and get it back.  I must not be right in the head because I did like the 45.02A. I played it second line and people kind of ignored me in it.

Yeah I need to get the Churchill I first. LOL

I currently have the Matilda maxed out but the dang thing was soooo slow i stopped and haven't progressed as I think I read a comment that the Churchill I is even SLOWER.

Hide your kids, hide your wife
And hide your husband
Cuz they’re derpin errbody out here

_Verstappen #9 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32984 battles
  • [PRAMO]
Is-6 [edited]. That thing is trash now. Garbage pen and switching to the heat gun gives it the worst 400 alpha dpm in tier 8. Far cry from what it once was

_Sterben_ #10 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8230 battles
Mutant EXP, more salty than the rest of its Tier 8 Premium Counterparts :justwait:

Rip Wallet Warrior Journey

2015 - 2017

Posit1ve_ #11 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 77211 battles
  • [_N_]

I'd swap IS-6 and IS-3; 

IS-3 is the tank IS-6 wants to be. Much more reliable turret, and even though the IS-6 does have better DPM, the DPM advantage becomes almost toally negated once you dab the 2 key. And you get lower alpha when you do so. IS-3 on the other hand has better pen on the standard AP rounds (even before the normalization advantage, which effectively gives it ~10mm extra penetration on top of the nominal difference with the IS-6's APCR) than the IS-6's APCR rounds. 175mm of penetration with the gun handling of the IS-6 just does not cut it anymore at tier 8. 175mm pen is considered bad, even for a tier VIII med with good gun handling that can snap in shots at weakspots. On a Soviet heavy with crap gun handling? Have a blast bro.

Furthermore, IS-3's good dispersion value lets it connect it's shots more reliably, and in terms of mobility, it's not even close. IS-3 due to superior terrain resistance is just so much faster, and thus more flexible than IS-6, on top of a higher speed limit and higher traverse. Also, IS-3 reverse sidescrapes like a BOSS but IS-6 has difficulty doing so due to the sloping "cheeks" on the front and rear of the tank. 

The only real advantage IS-6 has over IS-3 is that one measly degree of gun depression, which isn't enough to offset all of those major advantages IS-3 has

Edited by Posit1ve_, 04 October 2017 - 07:01 PM.

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

_CH3F #12 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 68436 battles
Jag 8.8 since  buff is like playing the jagtiger. It is a complete beast. 

Edited by _CH3F, 04 October 2017 - 06:40 PM.

_CH3F #13 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 68436 battles

View PostGableHawk, on 04 October 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

it's not that bad. If played correctly it's pretty good. 

SoccerDragon10 #14 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:44 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 98802 battles
  • [AVNGR]
Remember the defender was a grind tank, a long one but still a grind tank. It also is no longer the monster it was. Is it a good tank and fun to play?...yes. But the nerf to pen, reload,and especially the aim time increase dropped it out of the "purple" category. Additionally, the cheaper-per-shell prammo means you get penetrated a lot more.  All these drop it to the "fun to play" category IMO

Tomio_Hara #15 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

Monteagle madness

• Players
  • 23303 battles
  • [SNEED]
Nice. I agree with the list for the most part. 

Tomio Hara was the chief of Japanese tank development during the pre war period and WWII

Want to cap base? Read this!

Posit1ve_ #16 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 77211 battles
  • [_N_]

Also, I personally rather dislike the Caernarvon.

It's a heavy tank that tries to be a med, but fails rather spectacularly at both. Unlike the Centurion 1, Caernarvon has a difficult time keeping that 20pdr firing because it's still a heavy, and capped out 34km/h at that, and is overall slower than the IS-3. And 190 alpha is terribad for tier 8. Period. It's the worst in tier, and again, keeping the gun firing is exceptionally difficult since Caern does not have medium tank mobility to quickly relocate to a favorable position, nor does it have the armor to put itself in the center of the fight

The armor, despite prammo nerfs, is STILL a joke. The forehead is huge, and only 100mm effective vs. AP, so even if Caern were sitll facing tier VI's, tier VI meds and lights would punch through it pretty easily, and the upper plate, while not horrible, is still only ~220mm thick vs. AP, so tier VIII heavies and TDs can punch through with standard rounds, and if they load gold, they'll get through it no problem. And that's not to mention the lower plate, which is pretty big and leads to dead drivers and ammo racks, or the turret ring, which is also thin, and results in jammed turrets and broken ammoracks. And I don't think I even need to get into how bad the sides and rear are

Realistically, unless they get unlucky and hit the mantlet, the Caern is going to get penetrated by every shot, especially since it can't even sidescrape.

I'd personally put a tank like T32 over the Caern, since T32 brings the alpha, and the armor, while retaining the mobility and gun depression. Sure the DPM drops some, but it's easily compensated for by the fact that T32 can remain at the center of the fight and fully utilize the DPM while Caernarvon can't.

Edited by Posit1ve_, 04 October 2017 - 06:54 PM.

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Posit1ve_ #17 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 77211 battles
  • [_N_]

View Post_CH3F, on 04 October 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

it's not that bad. If played correctly it's pretty good. 

I fully agree with DMG on this one.

It's bad because even if played correctly, the gun will screw you over. It has the worst overall gun handling/aim time/Dispersion combination of all tier 8 heavies, so when you take a shot, you're just praying to RNGsus that you actually hit the enemy tank at all and not the ground. And when facing enemies you can't reliably penetrate, like tier 8 and 9 heavies frontally, or the turret of most tanks, it's like lol good luck when you're trying to hit a weakspot.

Mobility isn't great, but it's not terrible, so honestly, all IS-5 really has to try and compensate for that horrid gun is the armor, which while good, isn't standout enough to compensate for the horrid gun, and is only good enough to allow you some time to aim at a target before he can aim at your weakspots and pen you back.

336 tanks in the garage!

Posit1ve_ #18 Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 77211 battles
  • [_N_]

Other than the 2 beefs I posted above, I think the list is more or less accurate.

If you're too lazy to read my above posts:

Swap IS-6 and IS-3, and Swap Caern and T32

336 tanks in the garage!

Herodotus4 #19 Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22492 battles
  • [SRT_]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 04 October 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

Also, I personally rather dislike the Caernarvon.

It's a heavy tank that tries to be a med, but fails rather spectacularly at both. Unlike the Centurion 1, Caernarvon has a difficult time keeping that 20pdr firing because it's still a heavy, and capped out 34km/h at that, and is overall slower than the IS-3. And 190 alpha is terribad for tier 8. Period. It's the worst in tier, and again, keeping the gun firing is exceptionally difficult since Caern does not have medium tank mobility to quickly relocate to a favorable position, nor does it have the armor to put itself in the center of the fight

The armor, despite prammo nerfs, is STILL a joke. The forehead is huge, and only 100mm effective vs. AP, so even if Caern were sitll facing tier VI's, tier VI meds and lights would punch through it pretty easily, and the upper plate, while not horrible, is still only ~220mm thick vs. AP, so tier VIII heavies and TDs can punch through with standard rounds, and if they load gold, they'll get through it no problem. And that's not to mention the lower plate, which is pretty big and leads to dead drivers and ammo racks, or the turret ring, which is also thin, and results in jammed turrets and broken ammoracks. And I don't think I even need to get into how bad the sides and rear are

Realistically, unless they get unlucky and hit the mantlet, the Caern is going to get penetrated by every shot, especially since it can't even sidescrape.

I'd personally put a tank like T32 over the Caern, since T32 brings the alpha, and the armor, while retaining the mobility and gun depression. Sure the DPM drops some, but it's easily compensated for by the fact that T32 can remain at the center of the fight and fully utilize the DPM while Caernarvon can't.

The T32's gun sucks though, below average alpha, below average pen, pretty much average accuracy, barely average dpm. The gun get's saved by the fact that in the right position you just can't hurt it.

"it is not because I was "brought to my knees" by some noobs, rather because I was unable to bring enough red noobs to their knees." -Vsavsa1

"I excel at mediocracy" -xjs

Blartch #20 Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

Causer of Unrest

• Players
  • 69019 battles
  • [BRSKT]

IMO the Carny need to be on an even higher level ;)

The VK 45.02A is an awesome tank, one of my winningest tier 8's... it's just that it's a burly medium, not a heavy

Also tagged with Tier 8 Heavy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users