Foch 155 - lets discuss

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

tjheff1066 #1 Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 68560 battles
  • [ACE1]

So the French TD line has had a chance to burn in for a bit.  More and more (although still not very many) Foch 155s are showing up in tier X.  I recently got mine, sprung for the legendary camo and everything because that bullseye on the side and stripes in the camo look pretty friggin cool.

I realize its not considered a very good tank.  At least the original flurry of discussions have it pretty much pegged as one of the worst tier X TDs...maybe even tanks overall.

I personally like playing it.  I find it interesting and fun, very challenging.  I am still equipping it, 3 out of 9 slots filled and crew is at about 80% so its not maxed out yet.  I have a 50% WR in it right now with about 67 battles in it.  Not very good.  I am an average player though (57%) who generally does between 50-55% WR in my tier X tanks and rarely platoons.

My impressions of the tank so far

• Fast, faster than some meds it seems.  I like the fact that you can move around the map if need be with this tank
  • Traverse is OK, but with the terrible side armor I wish it was faster like the tier IX was.  Being able to traverse quicker would go a long way in dealing with incoming shells or rushing meds
  • I don't like to snipe or camp much in this tank.  Now this could be more just my personal playstyle...I hate sitting around, but I think the tank is not really suited to it very well either.  It has a bit of a derpy gun IMO.  The shell velocity seems slow and the gun arc is very narrow so its hard to track a target without moving your tracks...which of course blooms the aim circle.  I think widening the gun arc would be a nice buff
  • Armor is hard to pin down.  I guess you would describe it as troll.  I have had some games where 3 tanks have me cornered and are firing away, and I bounce a bunch of shots, so it definitely CAN bounce a fair number of shots, but then other games where I get penned seemingly by everyone.  Forget about the sides and rear, you will get penned there, just talking about the frontal armor.  Something to note....every 183 that targets me seems to pen me.  Can't tell if they are hitting the range finder of going right through my front plate.  But I avoid 183's as much as possible.
  • Much like the proceeding tiers (7, 8 and 9) I think that this tank is best when played moderately aggressively. Hiding, sniping and camping don't seem to work all that well for me, but using the speed, running with your meds to a flank seem to work a bit better. 
  • Right now I think the Foch > Foch 155 at its tier, but like I said I do enjoy playing the 155.  I like unique tanks and I like playing challenging tanks, this one fits both those descriptions.

I would love to hear other peoples opinions.  Both owners and people who have faced them.  The only other tier X TD I own is a deathstar which I rarely play, I just don't find it very fun to drive, so opinions from other TD drivers would be helpful.

MSixteen #2 Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:39 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18667 battles
After about 20 some battles I’ve got 3k average and a 80% WR in it. I’ve got absolutely ZERO FRIGGIN CLUE how that managed to happen, because the TD is a complete disgrace. In a straight up DPM race against its T9 counterpart, the only reason the T9 loses is because it has fewer HP, and the larger chunks it takes out barely means that the T9 Foch loses with about 2s to reload on the finishing blow.

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

Posit1ve_ #3 Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 64052 battles
  • [_V_]

I like the Foch 155

It's like a Grille, but with actual armor and camo.

Also, the armor is great. Frontally it's ~270mm vs AP and ~300mm vs. HEAT which is fantastic, and able to resist medium tanks unless they aim at weakspots

Also, Foch has the mobility to keep the gun in the game, and also chase down good HE targets to help alleviate the somewhat low DPM

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

john_bond_16_pc #4 Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

The name's bond...John bond.

• Players
  • 16245 battles
  • [COD-R]
It needs it auto loader. End discussion :)

​"Well John, people have different priorities. Some are here to drive historical tanks and have fun, others for the glorious color coded numbers and other for the relationships and friends they've made. The middle group are the ones who'll say they can't play due to 3.8, they're afraid of having smaller numbers than everyone else and losing the imaginary position they have. They're also the same people who immediately pull stats into any discussion so that they can try to discredit the other side. I will admit I have good stats but I honestly am here for the tanks and fun. Once this game becomes anything other than that I'm out , but until then I'm here to stay."

​Ptank2012

COD-R CLAN DEP & TRPD MATE

Stats:                                                                                       

MSixteen #5 Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:13 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18667 battles

View PostPosit1ve_, on 05 October 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

I like the Foch 155

It's like a Grille, but with actual armor and camo.

Also, the armor is great. Frontally it's ~270mm vs AP and ~300mm vs. HEAT which is fantastic, and able to resist medium tanks unless they aim at weakspots

Also, Foch has the mobility to keep the gun in the game, and also chase down good HE targets to help alleviate the somewhat low DPM

See you claim it’s ~270 vs AP, but I tested it against a medium shooting APCR on level ground and it penned at least 1/2 the time 

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

Posit1ve_ #6 Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 64052 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostMSixteen, on 05 October 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

See you claim it’s ~270 vs AP, but I tested it against a medium shooting APCR on level ground and it penned at least 1/2 the time 

I don't think that should be possible, because on armor inspector, it's only a 5% chance to pen on level ground against a Leopard 1 shooting APCR.

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

MSixteen #7 Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18667 battles

View PostPosit1ve_, on 05 October 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

I don't think that should be possible, because on armor inspector, it's only a 5% chance to pen on level ground against a Leopard 1 shooting APCR.

Well an STB got me rather consistently from point blank 

Posit1ve_ #8 Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 64052 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostMSixteen, on 05 October 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

That's because it was probably shooting the cupola/rangefinder bar or the lower plate, which are easy pens, however are fairly difficult to hit from mid-long range

336 tanks in the garage!

Player_5773117413 #9 Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

Professional Tinfoil Hatter

• Players
  • 30807 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostMSixteen, on 05 October 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

literally point blank or just very close? If he was right up in your face, it is possible that he could have simply aimed down and decreased the effective slope of the foch's front plate. 

"HULK SMASH[er]!!!"

^ Gotta derp around in Tier 7 before the inevitable nerf! ^

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch

MSixteen #10 Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18667 battles

View PostPlayer_5773117413, on 05 October 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

literally point blank or just very close? If he was right up in your face, it is possible that he could have simply aimed down and decreased the effective slope of the foch's front plate. 

like our barrels were touching pretty much

UwUmonkeChan #11 Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:00 PM

Clubs Wargaming

• Players
  • 31855 battles
  • [_V2_]
Its a pretty fun tank to shoot at. The massive weakspots are even worse than that of the Tortoise's.

matoro4826 #12 Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:27 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 31833 battles
  • [1DBQC]
Grille? Where is my german accuracy? Grille is by far much more accurate and versatile. Foch 155 needs either an autoloader (3 rounds ~500 alpha) or (2 rounds 640 alpha). Or maybe buff the gun handling and penetration. 280mm of pen is a joke for a gun with meh accuracy. The grille can pass because it can snipr the weakspots even across the map.

Big_Tidday_Goth_GF #13 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:31 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23949 battles
  • [KATAR]

I like fast TDs and I don't really enjoy being ten miles away so I like the Fock.  I hear bad things about the 155 but everyone talked that way about the Maus before the med nerf and they were all wrong.

Some of us like tanks that the majority hates anyway.

E 50 M: "Gungnir" T-62A: "Charon" Leopard 1: "Tyrfing" Obj. 140: "Deimos" E 100: "Gram" M48 Patton: "Justice" STB-1: "Muramasa" FV4202: "Narsil" FV 215b: "Anduril"  Grille 15: "Mystletainn" IS-4: "Scamander" IS-7 "Ionia" T110E5: "Eclipse" Maus: "Tarnhelm" Obj. 263: "Aristeia" AMX 50 B: "Durandel" Foch 155: "Joyeuse" M60: "Traveller"

dport02 #14 Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 34106 battles
  • [-FE4R]
TDS are my least favorite if the tank types. From what I’ve heard though, Foch 155 is similar to 268
RNG is rigged !

_UpInSmoke #15 Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 23852 battles
  • [-MM]
It needs a buff, that's all

Pastaguy2003 #16 Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5734 battles
  • [COD-R]

View PostNukoPls, on 09 January 2018 - 11:17 PM, said:

It needs a buff, that's all

Only buff it needs is the gun arc, and depression.

Lines I'm grinding: Obj. 268 (at ISU 152)  WZ-113 (at Type T34)

"To derp, or not to derp"

-Anonymous KV2 driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users