Red Armor Lag

patch 1.5 lag

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Should "red armor" (armor penetration zones) be removed from the game? (52 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Remove "red armor" and all its files from the game!!

1. Yes (18 votes [34.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

2. No (34 votes [65.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.38%

Keep "red armor" only for low tiers ONLY up to tier 4

1. Yes (20 votes [38.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. No (23 votes [44.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.23%

3. Other - (up to a diff tier lvl) (9 votes [17.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.31%

Vote Hide poll

_RNGesus #21 Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:08 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15410 battles
  • [PRAMO]
Why do you keep posting about your 2 j? You aren't even good in it. 

Looney999 #22 Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6709 battles
  • [III-Z]
I have the hardest time reliably hitting cupolas in tanks that don't start in KV or end in E5, they vex me for some reason.

-Community Pledge Signer-

The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!

JDMluv18 #23 Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:04 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5901 battles

Removing the red skin may be beneficial to a number of users on this forum, especially the veterans. However, we must remember that Blitz is not, nor will it ever be, the PC version. It is intended for a much wider, more casual audience, not specifically for forum rats or PC players. As forum members, we comprise a minute amount of the total players on Blitz; therefore, while our opinions and suggestions can alter the game, our views are never the final word in gameplay changes, especially if only really wanted by ourselves. Blitz was created to be a combination of simplicity and strategy, allowing for a massive variety of players, ranging from casual to those like ourselves, to play and enjoy the game. Removing the red skin would not only damage this balance, but remove a massive portion of the game's audience, a goal that any for-profit company would never intend to pursue.

Proud Member of Luckyshots & Imperium

Tanks in my Garage: LTP, Covenanter, Pz. IV, T29, T28, T20, T-44, ISU-152, KV-4, IS-3, IS-8, Panther II, Jagdtiger, Jg.Pz. E100, E75, & E100

Working for IS-7, T62A, and a 60% WR

Happy Tanking!

_ENO_ #24 Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Something in the background needs to calculate what shell is in the chamber, what the effective armor is and lay out the appropriate pattern across the whole tank- and when that is happening 30 times simultaneously (ie: when a bunch of tanks are in close quarters shooting at one another) the data transfer that must have to happen may be a bit overwhelming. I'm no tech- but it makes sense since lag is frequently induced when we get a bunch of hardware in close quarters- on screen or off somewhere else.

Deductive reasoning suggests that with this additional work would come increased data transfer especially in the event where multiple tanks are targetting the same vehicle- in multiple occasions simultaneously.

I agree- I do feel a bit cheated as I get into higher tiers (or in the IS6) and have my soft spots spoon-fed to 6 year olds getting 7 kill games (allegedly). I would absolutely embrace a limitation at tier 5-6 whether it helped lag or not since the calculations would still need to be done to determine whether penetration occurs.

gffcom #25 Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:50 AM

REDACTED

• Players
  • 37950 battles
  • [SRT-]

View PostJDMluv18, on 08 December 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

It is intended for a much wider, more casual audience

While I'm not advocating the removal of hit skins, I think this particular trope is kind of tired. We don't know WGs intent for this game or what audience they are catering to. What we do know is that its a game that is truly free to play with fairly expensive in game purchases. I question the assumption that this game is intended for a "casual" audience when WGs bottom line needs a more committed player who is willing to drop $25 for a premium tank, or buy gold for premium time or converting free exp. 

Looking at the game play and revenue model, I think its fair to say that Blitz is a mobile game for a serious gamer.

But again, I am not advocating the removal of hit skins. The recent update included normalization into the skins info, so WG seems committed to them, but aside from that, soon we will have Android players having access to abundant game mods that an iOS player can only get by jailbreaking their device. I don't want to jailbreak my iPad, I don't want to buy an Android device, and I don't want the Android players to have an advantage. And they will if they all download a hit skin add on that iOS players can't. So keep the skins.

Xs: IS-7, IS-4, FV215b, T110E5, E100, E50M, Obj 140, T-62A, M48A1 Patton, FV4202, Leopard 1, Obj 268

SPARTA 

Androyce #26 Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10107 battles

View Postgffcom, on 08 December 2014 - 01:50 AM, said:

While I'm not advocating the removal of hit skins, I think this particular trope is kind of tired. We don't know WGs intent for this game or what audience they are catering to. What we do know is that its a game that is truly free to play with fairly expensive in game purchases. I question the assumption that this game is intended for a "casual" audience when WGs bottom line needs a more committed player who is willing to drop $25 for a premium tank, or buy gold for premium time or converting free exp. 

Looking at the game play and revenue model, I think its fair to say that Blitz is a mobile game for a serious gamer.

Its fairly safe to assume they are catering to a more casual audience because they are not stupid and it has become clear that it's the only way to make money on the AppStore. Look at the price of IAPs in CCS, Hay Day, [edited]or pretty much anything in the top grossing charts. They all have IAPs that go up to $100. Causal players are often willing to drop significant money on a game, and then if course there are the whales who will spend a fortune to zoom through every tank and keep themselves fully loaded with premium ammo. Games aimed at serious gamers don't work on the AppStore. Sadly it's been proven time and time again over the years. A company as large as wargaming knows this.

SkiFletch #27 Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30829 battles
  • [SRT]
The OP suggests that the red skins cause more lag of some type?  Server, or device?  And how do you know this?  If it's going to make the game less laggy, I'm all for it...

tpcshadow #28 Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 45831 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostENO75, on 08 December 2014 - 12:20 AM, said:

Something in the background needs to calculate what shell is in the chamber, what the effective armor is and lay out the appropriate pattern across the whole tank- and when that is happening 30 times simultaneously (ie: when a bunch of tanks are in close quarters shooting at one another) the data transfer that must have to happen may be a bit overwhelming. I'm no tech- but it makes sense since lag is frequently induced when we get a bunch of hardware in close quarters- on screen or off somewhere else.

Deductive reasoning suggests that with this additional work would come increased data transfer especially in the event where multiple tanks are targetting the same vehicle- in multiple occasions simultaneously.

I agree- I do feel a bit cheated as I get into higher tiers (or in the IS6) and have my soft spots spoon-fed to 6 year olds getting 7 kill games (allegedly). I would absolutely embrace a limitation at tier 5-6 whether it helped lag or not since the calculations would still need to be done to determine whether penetration occurs.

I suspect that this processing is done locally on the device. This really isn't that complicated and can even have some pre-defined skins.

I suspect that data transfer is limited to type, location, orientation (body and turret), and health for tanks,  as well as firing info. Right now we don't know if the lag/jerkiness/other issues are on the server or the device. It could be the influx of Android users is overwhelming the servers at times and they can't send out updates in a timely fashion. It could be that the client side app has a bug that causes the device to slow down and skip frames. All we can do is speculate.

ErwinnRommel68 #29 Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:50 AM

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
how did you get a PANZER II J????

Bronze_Knight #30 Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:26 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 14103 battles

View PostDelta256, on 07 December 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

This. This is why we have hitskins, why we don't have individual crews, why we only have encounter battles (and no standard), and likely why Clan Wars is going to be different from PC. Different audiences. Unlike a lot of you, most people don't spend hours at home grinding away, they play to kill a bus ride or something.

What you guys propose is to shoehorn WoT PC into a mobile game, and ruin the fine balance that's been struck between complex and simple.

Yep. I agree with this guy.

Personally I don't think the "red armor" highlighting has anything to do with lag. every instance of lag I've had so far has been due to high ping. However I am on a newer device (iPad Air) so that may be part of it.

I think the the "serious" mobile gaming crowd can still be called casual by most of the serious PC gaming crowd. I've played some of the PC WOT (less than 300 games I think) and I like the idea of the game but the grind is so long.

Blitz is a simple game. 

Although it may not seem like it depending on how you look at gaming as a whole, I think of it like that. And I think many of the people on these forums would say the same. As a simple game things like the TTK (time to kill) and match timer are important. And frankly they are why we have hitskins, and why they are here to stay. 

I play on iPad Air.  Click here for my WOT Blitz stats@ wotbstars.com.

WOT Blitz projects and Tier X tanks:  Germany: Maus, E 100,  JagdPanzer E 100: Researched, saving credits E 50 M, Leopard 1, U.S.A.: T110E5,  T110E4: on T30, T110E3, M48 Patton, U.K.FV215b, FV4202               

Real life projects: 1961 Chevy Impala, British FV432(sold), 4 year English degree(Finished! AAAHHHHH PANIC!), A Job(The search is on!)

AXMarks #31 Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:32 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5276 battles

View PostErwinnRommel68, on 09 December 2014 - 07:50 PM, said:

how did you get a PANZER II J????

Hi Generic, using an alternate account is totally dumb

AXM Entertainment
 KV-2 is my JAM!
      Completed: Jagdpanzer E-100     
"Enjoy the grind... meh, free exp"

Also tagged with patch 1.5, lag