Jump to content


Official Matchmaking Discussion Thread


  • Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

krietenstein34 #101 Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 22547 battles
  • 1,261
  • [HAHA]
  • Member since:
    01-03-2015
Had a match yesterday............  5 players on my team their battle count was < than their WR.  That happens frequently.  It used to not be like that....
Best Game Ever>>>> NHL 94' on Sega CD.

RibbleStripe #102 Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Administrator
  • 51 battles
  • 195
  • Member since:
    10-04-2017

Hey guys. 

 

Me and SpartacusDiablo talked a bit and decided that this thread needs kind of FAQ concerning Matchmaker. I'll post it here and then it will be added to the first message. Hope it will be useful for you. 

 

What is Matchmaker?
Matchmaker (MM) is a special tool that forms teams in random battle. When forming teams MM follows ground rules:
- Team equality i.e. teams should be as balanced as possible;
- Interesting team composition = interesting gameplay;
- Short waiting time i.e. teams should be formed as quickly as possible;
- "+/- 1" i.e. tier VI tank can battle against vehicles ranging from tier VI to tier VII etc.

 

What criteria does MM consider in random battles?
MM consider balance weight that reflects overall efficiency of each vehicle. Balance weight depends on vehicles' tier - theefore, MM tries to form teams with equal number of vehicles with the same tier. 
MM doesn't consider:
- personal skill level;
- tank nation or class;
- crew mastery level
- vehicle configuration (mounted modules, equipment, consumables).

 

Why doesn't MM consider vehicle classes? Isn't it better to form teams with equal number of LT, MT, HT and TD?
One of MM rules is interesting team composition. Different tanks have different roles on the battlefield. MM seeks to ensure variety in the types of vehicles on the battlefield so that the battle gameplay and tactics remain varied from start to finish.

 

How does MM work for platoons?
MM consider the highest vehicle tier in platoon. For example platoon formed by KV-1 and M6 can battle against tier VII tanks. 

 

Are there any exceptions for MM rules?
Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f) and Valentine II can battle only against tier III-IV vehicles due to low firepower.

 

What is honeymoon period? 
Once you purchase a recently researched vehicle you get a honeymoon period for it. It means that MM will try to put your tank up top for several battles. Keep in mind that this condition is not guaranteed - if it takes more time than usual MM won't consider honeymoon period.

 

Will the findings from ranked battles be implemented into random battles?
It isn't excluded. If any MM adjustment for ranked battles appears useful for random battles it can be brought into this mode.



SpartacusDiablo #103 Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 11500 battles
  • 4,262
  • [VF-1]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014
Two additional questions and answers that the forum might find interesting.

Other questions don't concern MM. However:

Will ranked battles expand to include more tiers?
We'll see. Ranked battles is a new mode - some changes can be made after researches.

Can you expand on how the Random Number Generator factors hits, penetration and damage values, mainly is this an on the fly during battle calculation, or have some been preloaded before battle.
Penetration is calculated at the same moment when shell touches armor. Damage is calculated at the same moment when shell penetrates. There are no preloaded calculations.

Edited by SpartacusDiablo, 25 October 2017 - 01:46 PM.


SpartacusDiablo #104 Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 11500 battles
  • 4,262
  • [VF-1]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014
Thanks again RibbleStripe.  All of the questions and answers have been added to the opening post in this thread. :)

__Crusader6__ #105 Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

    BANNED

  • Players
  • 46144 battles
  • 7,244
  • [III]
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014
Awesome -- thanks for the efforts Spartacus - and the answers Ribble.

Join the BCC, let's make Blitz great again together https://discord.gg/cdDdKMw

Certified Tank Hoarder: 308 tanks in Garage (53 now equipped w/ at least 1 Level 3 Slot, thx 3.8), 307/310 aced (Mk1 and T49A repo), and ~wallet warrior

WANTED: SPARE PARTS...

 


SanguinaryDan #106 Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 9174 battles
  • 656
  • [2PINT]
  • Member since:
    07-06-2014

And could you please expand on how tank type actually effects the MM?  

 

Because as it stands the MM is creating a large number of severely unbalanced games where there will be four TDs or Lights on one side and none on the other.  And I can assure you that is no damned fun.  

 


Edited by SanguinaryDan, 25 October 2017 - 04:10 PM.

The point of the game is to win.  The purpose of the game is to have fun.  They are not mutually exclusive.

NICKEL_AND_DIME #107 Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:20 PM

    Insufficient Loyalty

  • Players
  • 43211 battles
  • 1,369
  • [III-C]
  • Member since:
    06-29-2014

View PostSanguinaryDan, on 25 October 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

And could you please expand on how tank type actually effects the MM?  

 

Because as it stands the MM is creating a large number of severely unbalanced games where there will be four TDs or Lights on one side and none on the other.  And I can assure you that is no damned fun.  

 

 

I see this also - often.  Red team almost always has more heavy tanks, which tends to dominate since the mediums experienced a pen nerf, and heavies can load an armor buff on equipment.


SpartacusDiablo #108 Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 11500 battles
  • 4,262
  • [VF-1]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014
I am going to start playing my SP 1c soon. As soon as the top gun is unlocked with free XP. I have not yet played the tank at all yet. The crew will be at 75%.  It'll be interesting to see how MM treats a fully upgraded, unplayed, and untrained tank.  I'll post my results.

SpartacusDiablo #109 Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 11500 battles
  • 4,262
  • [VF-1]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014

View PostSanguinaryDan, on 25 October 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

And could you please expand on how tank type actually effects the MM?  

 

Because as it stands the MM is creating a large number of severely unbalanced games where there will be four TDs or Lights on one side and none on the other.  And I can assure you that is no damned fun.  

 

One thing to also keep in mind is the HP pool of a team equipped with a number of heavy tanks is significantly higher. This puts the team equipped with lights and meds at a significant disadvantage.

 

Ideally I would like to see tank types generally mirrored between the two teams.  



dayton07277 #110 Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

    (SMH)

  • Players
  • 13264 battles
  • 3,395
  • [CROWN]
  • Member since:
    09-13-2015

View PostRibbIeStripe, on 25 October 2017 - 05:27 AM, said:

Hey guys. 

 

Me and SpartacusDiablo talked a bit and decided that this thread needs kind of FAQ concerning Matchmaker. I'll post it here and then it will be added to the first message. Hope it will be useful for you. 

 

What is Matchmaker?
Matchmaker (MM) is a special tool that forms teams in random battle. When forming teams MM follows ground rules:
- Team equality i.e. teams should be as balanced as possible;
- Interesting team composition = interesting gameplay;
- Short waiting time i.e. teams should be formed as quickly as possible;
- "+/- 1" i.e. tier VI tank can battle against vehicles ranging from tier VI to tier VII etc.

 

What criteria does MM consider in random battles?
MM consider balance weight that reflects overall efficiency of each vehicle. Balance weight depends on vehicles' tier - theefore, MM tries to form teams with equal number of vehicles with the same tier. 
MM doesn't consider:
- personal skill level;
- tank nation or class;
- crew mastery level
- vehicle configuration (mounted modules, equipment, consumables).

 

Why doesn't MM consider vehicle classes? Isn't it better to form teams with equal number of LT, MT, HT and TD?
One of MM rules is interesting team composition. Different tanks have different roles on the battlefield. MM seeks to ensure variety in the types of vehicles on the battlefield so that the battle gameplay and tactics remain varied from start to finish.

 

How does MM work for platoons?
MM consider the highest vehicle tier in platoon. For example platoon formed by KV-1 and M6 can battle against tier VII tanks. 

 

Are there any exceptions for MM rules?
Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f) and Valentine II can battle only against tier III-IV vehicles due to low firepower.

 

What is honeymoon period? 
Once you purchase a recently researched vehicle you get a honeymoon period for it. It means that MM will try to put your tank up top for several battles. Keep in mind that this condition is not guaranteed - if it takes more time than usual MM won't consider honeymoon period.

 

Will the findings from ranked battles be implemented into random battles?
It isn't excluded. If any MM adjustment for ranked battles appears useful for random battles it can be brought into this mode.

Are you saying MM is weighted?? If so I've said this forever. Lose so many games you're put into a winning team and vice versa..



SpartacusDiablo #111 Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 11500 battles
  • 4,262
  • [VF-1]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014

View Postdayton07277, on 25 October 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

Are you saying MM is weighted?? If so I've said this forever. Lose so many games you're put into a winning team and vice versa..

Where are you seeing something that implies that MM is weighted?



I_Maverick_I #112 Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

    Ribble4Prez2020

  • Players
  • 11879 battles
  • 549
  • [IRH]
  • Member since:
    06-13-2016

View PostRibbIeStripe, on 25 October 2017 - 05:27 AM, said:

Hey guys. 

 

Me and SpartacusDiablo talked a bit and decided that this thread needs kind of FAQ concerning Matchmaker. I'll post it here and then it will be added to the first message. Hope it will be useful for you. 

 

What is Matchmaker?
Matchmaker (MM) is a special tool that forms teams in random battle. When forming teams MM follows ground rules:
- Team equality i.e. teams should be as balanced as possible;
- Interesting team composition = interesting gameplay;
- Short waiting time i.e. teams should be formed as quickly as possible;
- "+/- 1" i.e. tier VI tank can battle against vehicles ranging from tier VI to tier VII etc.

 

What criteria does MM consider in random battles?
MM consider balance weight that reflects overall efficiency of each vehicle. Balance weight depends on vehicles' tier - theefore, MM tries to form teams with equal number of vehicles with the same tier. 
MM doesn't consider:
- personal skill level;
- tank nation or class;
- crew mastery level
- vehicle configuration (mounted modules, equipment, consumables).

 

Why doesn't MM consider vehicle classes? Isn't it better to form teams with equal number of LT, MT, HT and TD?
One of MM rules is interesting team composition. Different tanks have different roles on the battlefield. MM seeks to ensure variety in the types of vehicles on the battlefield so that the battle gameplay and tactics remain varied from start to finish.

 

How does MM work for platoons?
MM consider the highest vehicle tier in platoon. For example platoon formed by KV-1 and M6 can battle against tier VII tanks. 

 

Are there any exceptions for MM rules?
Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f) and Valentine II can battle only against tier III-IV vehicles due to low firepower.

 

What is honeymoon period? 
Once you purchase a recently researched vehicle you get a honeymoon period for it. It means that MM will try to put your tank up top for several battles. Keep in mind that this condition is not guaranteed - if it takes more time than usual MM won't consider honeymoon period.

 

Will the findings from ranked battles be implemented into random battles?
It isn't excluded. If any MM adjustment for ranked battles appears useful for random battles it can be brought into this mode.

wait really? i have both tanks and they both have insane armor and insane dpm, but lack pen. guess i'll be playing these more. what about the A-32 tho? it has very low pen as well, less armor, and lower DPM. i struggle to pen a KV-1 with HEAT running calibrated shells from the back, sides, or front. it is fast, but that doesnt help with no pen.

 

theres also the T7 car. some tier 3's are literally impossible to pen


Edited by I_Maverick_I, 25 October 2017 - 06:52 PM.

View Post__Seal__, on 13 December 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

 

I have said this before. The reason seals are migrating to tier X is because there are too many clubbers at 1-5. Its no longer safe, even in our homeland.

 

Well...if the seals think it's safer to be at tier X, we should be playing tiers I-V to avoid the seals at tier X right?? 


I_Maverick_I #113 Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:51 PM

    Ribble4Prez2020

  • Players
  • 11879 battles
  • 549
  • [IRH]
  • Member since:
    06-13-2016

View Postkrietenstein34, on 25 October 2017 - 04:45 AM, said:

Had a match yesterday............  5 players on my team their battle count was < than their WR.  That happens frequently.  It used to not be like that....

 

were you playing tier 1 or 2? thats literally impossible unless their battle count is less than 100...in which case you should expect them not to perform even decently well

Edited by I_Maverick_I, 25 October 2017 - 06:52 PM.

View Post__Seal__, on 13 December 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

 

I have said this before. The reason seals are migrating to tier X is because there are too many clubbers at 1-5. Its no longer safe, even in our homeland.

 

Well...if the seals think it's safer to be at tier X, we should be playing tiers I-V to avoid the seals at tier X right?? 


dayton07277 #114 Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

    (SMH)

  • Players
  • 13264 battles
  • 3,395
  • [CROWN]
  • Member since:
    09-13-2015

View PostSpartacusDiablo, on 25 October 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

Where are you seeing something that implies that MM is weighted?

Sorry I read his statement to fast. It doesn't say anything about weight



outersketcher #115 Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 11295 battles
  • 2,475
  • [COD-R]
  • Member since:
    02-25-2016

Okay.. the landslide battles are rough. But do you REALLY want the battle line ups so regulated and manipulated that you will eventually know EXACTLY how many of each tank type will be on each side in any given battle?

 

Really?

 

That sounds hella boring to me.

 

I'd rather have the occasional one sided chaos thankyouverymuch. I prefer the challenge. And I prefer not knowing how screwed up my team is gonna be.

 

Look at HISTORY folks!. NEVER...EVER has a battle gone according to plan. Look at D-Day. The American's screwed up just about everything we could POSSIBLE screw up in that assault. And yet... our soldiers on the field took what they had and found a way to do the job and win. 

 

I'm just saying be careful what we wish for. A perfectly matched MM system might not be what we really want. 

 

I'm certainly not here to have everything made "fairsies and squarsies" so I can win easier.

I'm here to confront, overcome, and win. In SPITE of the inequalities and challenges I may face in-game.


I LIKE seals. They're delicious. 

also... Damage, damage, damage, damage, damage...


MisssMe #116 Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 32504 battles
  • 141
  • [VRTX]
  • Member since:
    01-12-2016

View PostI_Maverick_I, on 25 October 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

 

were you playing tier 1 or 2? thats literally impossible unless their battle count is less than 100...in which case you should expect them not to perform even decently well

 

​Had a guy with 20 battles in tier 8 driving around in Lowe

SpartacusDiablo #117 Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 11500 battles
  • 4,262
  • [VF-1]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014

View Post__Crusader6__, on 25 October 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

Awesome -- thanks for the efforts Spartacus - and the answers Ribble.

I also want to thank this guy right here for the assistance on putting together the questions. Thanks C6!



dayton07277 #118 Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

    (SMH)

  • Players
  • 13264 battles
  • 3,395
  • [CROWN]
  • Member since:
    09-13-2015

View Postdayton07277, on 25 October 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

Sorry I read his statement to fast. It doesn't say anything about weight

But I take nothing WG says without a grain or two of salt. I want a official MM algorithm fact post in there actual game info. Before I actually change my mind on a weighted system. 



SpartacusDiablo #119 Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 11500 battles
  • 4,262
  • [VF-1]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014

View Postdayton07277, on 25 October 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

But I take nothing WG says without a grain or two of salt. I want a official MM algorithm fact post in there actual game info. Before I actually change my mind on a weighted system. 

That is all proprietary information.  There is absolutely no reason that they should release that information publicly.  Expecting them to is simply setting yourself up for disappointment.



__Crusader6__ #120 Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

    BANNED

  • Players
  • 46144 battles
  • 7,244
  • [III]
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View PostSpartacusDiablo, on 25 October 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

That is all proprietary information.  There is absolutely no reason that they should release that information publicly.  Expecting them to is simply setting yourself up for disappointment.

 

Bingo. 

 

While I admit my faith in WG is low, they cannot divulge MM as it would allow others to copy. 

However we should accept their word on this as they do say that WOT is weighted. 

  Besides it is actually pretty easy to see that MM isn’t weighted simply out of play.  

Track 1,000 battles, you will see what I have found. 

 

You (the individual player) make your own luck.  

   Play well, direct the battle and don’t die ;)

 

 

 


Join the BCC, let's make Blitz great again together https://discord.gg/cdDdKMw

Certified Tank Hoarder: 308 tanks in Garage (53 now equipped w/ at least 1 Level 3 Slot, thx 3.8), 307/310 aced (Mk1 and T49A repo), and ~wallet warrior

WANTED: SPARE PARTS...

 





3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users