Official Matchmaking Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
2090 replies to this topic

JefeMac #1981 Posted 18 January 2022 - 06:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10508 battles
  • [ROTI]

Interesting premise put forward by Little Finger. Example: What if WR (or all profile info) wasn’t available to anyone not on your friends list ? 

https://youtu.be/m1X8g08ruao

“And yet when you hear people say ‘conspiracy theory’ that’s designed to pluck this little part of your brain that says, well, that thing’s not true,” said Attkisson. “And I always keep an open mind and say, that crazy thing that they say is a conspiracy theory may well have some truth in it.”

__V_O_P__ #1982 Posted 18 January 2022 - 10:14 PM

A Lapsed Pacifist

• Players
  • 67035 battles
  • [LAP]
erm... don't I just look that up on Blitzstars or some other website?

JefeMac #1983 Posted 18 January 2022 - 11:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10508 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Post__V_O_P__, on 18 January 2022 - 10:14 PM, said:

erm... don't I just look that up on Blitzstars or some other website?

Clearly yes. Makes it a lot harder to blah blah blah over a WR when you gotta go find it. 

“And yet when you hear people say ‘conspiracy theory’ that’s designed to pluck this little part of your brain that says, well, that thing’s not true,” said Attkisson. “And I always keep an open mind and say, that crazy thing that they say is a conspiracy theory may well have some truth in it.”

_Crusader6_ #1984 Posted 19 January 2022 - 02:08 AM

St. Javelin: NLAW we Trust

• Players
  • 84903 battles
  • [III]

View PostJefeMac, on 18 January 2022 - 01:49 PM, said:

Interesting premise put forward by Little Finger. Example: What if WR (or all profile info) wasn’t available to anyone not on your friends list ? 

https://youtu.be/m1X8g08ruao

Which really has what to do with MM?   Other than maybe cutting into the reoccurring theme that WG is specifically targeting certain people because they want to? 
     Think of all the lost tin foil sales. 

I hate Annihilator spammers...  
Tank Hoarder: 495 tanks in Garage:  511/511 Played Tanks Aced

323 extra garage slots too - lucky me. 

I need more tanks...

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

JefeMac #1985 Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:38 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10508 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 19 January 2022 - 02:08 AM, said:

Which really has what to do with MM?   Other than maybe cutting into the reoccurring theme that WG is specifically targeting certain people because they want to? 
     Think of all the lost tin foil sales. 

People lose steam when raging over mm when the instant availability to prove their point isn’t easily/readily available. 

_Crusader6_ #1986 Posted 19 January 2022 - 08:58 PM

• Players
  • 84903 battles
  • [III]
I’m in Vegas for SHOT SHOW - let’s avoid Politics please. 

I need more tanks...

_Crusader6_ #1987 Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:15 PM

• Players
  • 84903 battles
  • [III]
Guys maybe try the ignore poster option? 

I need more tanks...

_Crusader6_ #1988 Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:02 PM

• Players
  • 84903 battles
  • [III]
Re-opened.  
    Any violations will be dealt with using a heavy hand. 

I need more tanks...

wrecker1968 #1989 Posted 20 January 2022 - 06:33 PM

Head of Security

• Players
  • 60788 battles
  • [HOUSE]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 20 January 2022 - 04:02 PM, said:

Re-opened.  
    Any violations will be dealt with using a heavy hand. 

Censored and ruled by fear?

Chiefmac #1990 Posted 20 January 2022 - 06:49 PM

Forum Fire Chief (Ret)

• Players
  • 59927 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Postwrecker1968, on 20 January 2022 - 11:33 AM, said:

Censored and ruled by fear?

Ruled only by the EULA. 

Recent escapee from Kommiefornia to Texas. 

Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% my attitude. 

TengenToppaPotatoLagann #1991 Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:45 PM

ᵐʸ ʰᵉˢʰ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵖᶦᵉʳᶜᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵛᵉᶰˢ﹗

• Players
  • 75783 battles
  • [CRYBB]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 19 January 2022 - 03:58 PM, said:

I’m in Vegas for SHOT SHOW - let’s avoid Politics please. 

1. anything catch your eye there?
  2. should we have a small arms thread somewhere in this forum?
  3. "under no pretext..."

View Post_YSoSerious, on 03 November 2021 - 10:33 PM, said:

Everything you need to learn from on the forum is already written down eons ago. What's left is a scattering of woe me hobos and wannabe Unis like me. Just do a search on the search bar, and soak up the knowledge from legends who have since moved on to Valhalla. All we can offer you is distilled regurgitation, or worse, incorrect advice.

Learn about HE

DirkTheDaring76 #1992 Posted 21 January 2022 - 01:53 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 40666 battles
  • [ZOOM]

So rather than create a new thread, I thought I'd add this here. Forgive me if it's been discussed since this thing is over 100 pages and I didn't read each one.

But I've noticed a tendency recently (that could have been in place for quite a while - I'm just realizing it) of having similar tanks on each team. I really notice it when you have two unique tanks in the same game that you don't see too often. Apparently not on the type of tank, but the actual tank seems to be taken into consideration when matching up teams. An example would be each team having a Helsing. I don't wear my tinfoil hat too often, but that seems like it's part of the process.

TengenToppaPotatoLagann #1993 Posted 21 January 2022 - 07:18 AM

• Players
  • 75783 battles
  • [CRYBB]

View PostDirkTheDaring76, on 20 January 2022 - 08:53 PM, said:

. I don't wear my tinfoil hat too often, but that seems like it's part of the process.

it definitely happens for some tanks. op tier sevens mostly, but it happens elsewhere too - especially if a new tank line comes in.

noticed it earlier tonight with wg splitting russian lights between teams, so half the games in my t92e1 there was a ruskie on green, while red also had a ruskie and a derp american light.

no idea what the threshold is for engaging that mm mechanic, however. 

Edited by TengenToppaPotatoLagann, 21 January 2022 - 07:20 AM.

Everything you need to learn from on the forum is already written down eons ago. What's left is a scattering of woe me hobos and wannabe Unis like me. Just do a search on the search bar, and soak up the knowledge from legends who have since moved on to Valhalla. All we can offer you is distilled regurgitation, or worse, incorrect advice.

Learn about HE

__V_O_P__ #1994 Posted 21 January 2022 - 05:36 PM

A Lapsed Pacifist

• Players
  • 67035 battles
  • [LAP]

View PostDirkTheDaring76, on 20 January 2022 - 08:53 PM, said:

So rather than create a new thread, I thought I'd add this here. Forgive me if it's been discussed since this thing is over 100 pages and I didn't read each one.

But I've noticed a tendency recently (that could have been in place for quite a while - I'm just realizing it) of having similar tanks on each team. I really notice it when you have two unique tanks in the same game that you don't see too often. Apparently not on the type of tank, but the actual tank seems to be taken into consideration when matching up teams. An example would be each team having a Helsing. I don't wear my tinfoil hat too often, but that seems like it's part of the process.

so there's what I think of as the long post... which El Din posted. The easiest way to find it is to search for "annealing" 

Excerpt from it below...

At the time of this writing, the list for regular battles consisted of the following items:

Balancer Requirements List

The difference between the maximum and minimum level of the tank should not exceed one, with the exception of platoons (that is, if there are 10s in battle, then there should not be 5s or 7s, only 9s and 10s);

Teams must be 7x7, except for low online (in this case, you can create smaller battles, for example 5x5 or 3x3);

Teams should be mirror-balanced according to the level of technology (if one team has 3 tanks of the tenth level and 4 of the ninth, then the other should also have 3 tens and 4 nines);

In both teams, the tier of platoons must be the same; <= although one team can get two failtoons (say 8-9 8-9) and the other two normal toons (9-9 8-8).

Teams should have no more than 3 tanks of each type (for example, no more than 3 heavy tanks, no more than 3 tank destroyers). The rule works from the 5th level and higher; <= this seems to have changed, since there are battles in the tiers I play (8, 9, 10) where one side has zero lights or mediums

The difference in the number of tanks of the same type for two teams should not be more than one (for example, if one team has 1 tank destroyer, then the second can have a maximum of 2 tank destroyers); 

Teams should be balanced in the number of identical tanks, with a difference of no more than one tank (if one team has 1 IS-7, then in the other - no more than 2 IS-7); <=so there is some functionality that looks at actual tank...not just class

Players should only get into the battle modes they have chosen (if a player has only turned on "Encounter battle", then he should not get into "Superiority.” ) ;

If the player bought a new tank, then in the first N battles on the new tank the levels of other tanks do not exceed the level of the player's new tank (that is, if the player has a level 5 tank, then there should not be level 6 tanks in the battle);  <= Honeymoon period, which many report doesn't seem to be happening now.

The player must hit the cards that he has already loaded. Some of our content is loaded after installing the game;

If a player has enabled the "Single type of control" option, then he should only play with players who have the same type of control as him (if he plays on a tablet / phone, then he should not get to players with mice, and vice versa).

So all that being said, there is some evidence that Annihilators were the subject of a nerf because they were being matched with other Annihilators on Red. And then later, this nerf now seems to include Dracs and Smashers instead of just Annihilators (anecdotally). So there seems to be some functionality that allows for your observation. However, there is also a cognitive bias that when you are playing an unusual tank you are more likely to notice another one on red. Similarly, you may be playing that tank because you just bought it... or you had it and it went on sale in the store and that reminded you that you hadn't played it for a while. And then there is the meta... and buffs... things that encourage players to choose certain tanks. In short, it's possible...

Chiefmac #1995 Posted 21 January 2022 - 07:28 PM

Forum Fire Chief (Ret)

• Players
  • 59927 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Post__V_O_P__, on 21 January 2022 - 10:36 AM, said:

so there's what I think of as the long post... which El Din posted. The easiest way to find it is to search for "annealing" 

Excerpt from it below...

At the time of this writing, the list for regular battles consisted of the following items:

Balancer Requirements List

The difference between the maximum and minimum level of the tank should not exceed one, with the exception of platoons (that is, if there are 10s in battle, then there should not be 5s or 7s, only 9s and 10s);

Teams must be 7x7, except for low online (in this case, you can create smaller battles, for example 5x5 or 3x3);

Teams should be mirror-balanced according to the level of technology (if one team has 3 tanks of the tenth level and 4 of the ninth, then the other should also have 3 tens and 4 nines);

In both teams, the tier of platoons must be the same; <= although one team can get two failtoons (say 8-9 8-9) and the other two normal toons (9-9 8-8).

Teams should have no more than 3 tanks of each type (for example, no more than 3 heavy tanks, no more than 3 tank destroyers). The rule works from the 5th level and higher; <= this seems to have changed, since there are battles in the tiers I play (8, 9, 10) where one side has zero lights or mediums

The difference in the number of tanks of the same type for two teams should not be more than one (for example, if one team has 1 tank destroyer, then the second can have a maximum of 2 tank destroyers); 

Teams should be balanced in the number of identical tanks, with a difference of no more than one tank (if one team has 1 IS-7, then in the other - no more than 2 IS-7); <=so there is some functionality that looks at actual tank...not just class

Players should only get into the battle modes they have chosen (if a player has only turned on "Encounter battle", then he should not get into "Superiority.” ) ;

If the player bought a new tank, then in the first N battles on the new tank the levels of other tanks do not exceed the level of the player's new tank (that is, if the player has a level 5 tank, then there should not be level 6 tanks in the battle);  <= Honeymoon period, which many report doesn't seem to be happening now.

The player must hit the cards that he has already loaded. Some of our content is loaded after installing the game;

If a player has enabled the "Single type of control" option, then he should only play with players who have the same type of control as him (if he plays on a tablet / phone, then he should not get to players with mice, and vice versa).

So all that being said, there is some evidence that Annihilators were the subject of a nerf because they were being matched with other Annihilators on Red. And then later, this nerf now seems to include Dracs and Smashers instead of just Annihilators (anecdotally). So there seems to be some functionality that allows for your observation. However, there is also a cognitive bias that when you are playing an unusual tank you are more likely to notice another one on red. Similarly, you may be playing that tank because you just bought it... or you had it and it went on sale in the store and that reminded you that you hadn't played it for a while. And then there is the meta... and buffs... things that encourage players to choose certain tanks. In short, it's possible...

Dude - nicely done ! 

Recent escapee from Kommiefornia to Texas. 

Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% my attitude. 

EL_Din_46 #1996 Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:38 PM

Poet Laureate of Boris’ Den (of Iniquity)

• Players
  • 21247 battles
  • [MOD3]

View Post__V_O_P__, on 21 January 2022 - 09:36 AM, said:

Excerpt from it below...

The original post is at http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/112723-development-of-matchmaking/page__p__1771556#entry1771556

I’ve had a tier 6/7 regular battle that was all mediums and lights and several where there was only one td or heavy.. For Update 4.5 the limit was 4 per class. They may have just gone back to the earlier requirement or, when there is difficulty balancing at 3 per class, the requirement might be softened to 4 per class.

This is what you get for letting rednecks play with antimatter, boss.

John Ringo, Hell’s Faire

TengenToppaPotatoLagann #1997 Posted 22 January 2022 - 09:03 PM

• Players
  • 75783 battles
  • [CRYBB]

*throws tinfoil hat in trash*

got tossed into a match with my 40tp (a tier six heavy) where the only other heavy was a smasher, on red. 

*picks up tinfoil hat and smoothes it out*

clearly, theory posting in this thread earns you at least one (1) assigned loss.

Learn about HE

Bellatormonk #1998 Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:16 PM

Tinfoil Knight

• Players
  • 38772 battles

I had forgotten this existed.  I would love to hear the tinfoil attacks and defenses on this as of this year.  Now I will caveat this upfront by saying the overall opinion here was that Mad Games is affected and Regular is not based on their evidence and analysis.

https://www.youtube....h?v=QxZtqKHEGuo

_Crusader6_ #1999 Posted 24 January 2022 - 09:25 PM

• Players
  • 84903 battles
  • [III]

View PostBellatormonk, on 24 January 2022 - 03:16 PM, said:

I had forgotten this existed.  I would love to hear the tinfoil attacks and defenses on this as of this year.  Now I will caveat this upfront by saying the overall opinion here was that Mad Games is affected and Regular is not based on their evidence and analysis.

https://www.youtube....h?v=QxZtqKHEGuo

Yawn.   Part of the issue in that was who bothers uploading games from other modes? 
   Even in regular modes you don’t get a good balance of games uploaded - because the majority of folks who upload them are for great games or awful ones.  

I need more tanks...

TengenToppaPotatoLagann #2000 Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:03 PM

• Players
  • 75783 battles
  • [CRYBB]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 24 January 2022 - 04:25 PM, said:

Yawn.   Part of the issue in that was who bothers uploading games from other modes? 
   Even in regular modes you don’t get a good balance of games uploaded - because the majority of folks who upload them are for great games or awful ones.  

if i had a pc that could handle editing, i'd start a channel called third class and focus on games where i earned my lucky player votes so people could just watch in awe as i make mistake after mistake.

Learn about HE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users