tactics guide help

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

ats1080 #21 Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles

View Postluciuscornelliussulla, on 09 December 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Thanks for this. I am struggling. I don't believe in blaming anyone but myself and my limitations, but it seems like since the update, the game is very choppy. I just got my KV-1 and would play a few games, then come here and study or watch gameplay on YouTube. But being in Tier VII battles, the game seemingly choppy and hard to play, it just feels like I have taken two steps back. It is hard enough playing fluid chess with grandmasters when the chessboard disappears and the pieces suddenly shift places. But how can I blame ping or slow FPS when I see that other KV-1 perform effortlessly? Often times we blame outside factors and fail to look inward and fix what we can. I got a T2 Light, but the speed is pointless when the lag makes gameplay disconcerting. Again, thanks to every veteran on here who bothers trying to share the knowledge they have gleaned playing this addictive game. Any doubts I was hooked were shattered because despite the lag, I still thrust myself into battle and try to help as much as I can before being obliterated by a veritable Olympian tanker.

You're welcome.  What is your ping and FPS while you are playing?  And what device are you playing on?

koop123 #22 Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8300 battles
  • [ASTER]

Last night my Ping was around 150 and FPS was 20-25 when Reds were around and about 40 at start of the match. I am on a first gen iPad mini. I do a hard restart, clear my cache and did a few other small things that an online article advised when I searched how to make my iPad run faster. . .

This is my first online game I have ever gotten into (39 years old) and I have a lot to learn. I was into online chess for years, but never video games. I don't care what anyone says--I was and am a pretty descent chess player--but I find this game more of a challenge and am hooked. I spend more time here learning and on YouTube, because I feel over time my hand to eye coordination will improve, but the head game is the actual game we are playing. It matters not that these are virtual tanks. Value is assigned by our minds. If you value your tank, your stats, your reputation as a tanker, you will "feel" every shell that pens your tank and become invested in winning the match. Because of this, we get stressed when we engage the enemy. Some people freeze, some flounder, or get tunnel vision--but those that remain calm and always think ahead will prevail. Those that learn to control as much of the battle as possible and learn to read the fluid nature of this game will always preform better then those who lose their cool the second they see an enemy tank. I was close to getting into that focused zone I used to have playing hours and hours of online chess before the update. Now I feel lost. Again, I just have to adapt my play and not blame the situation. Trying to play with the lag and not against it.. .I can not change game lag, only the way I play. I can not change if the game crashes right before battle, only prepare for what the battle may be if I am dropped back in and still alive.

WR~0.23% Damage Ratio~.0009  WN9~ 35.  Avg Tier~1.10

johandelange #23 Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 26347 battles

View Postluciuscornelliussulla, on 09 December 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

Last night my Ping was around 150 and FPS was 20-25 when Reds were around and about 40 at start of the match. I am on a first gen iPad mini. I do a hard restart, clear my cache and did a few other small things that an online article advised when I searched how to make my iPad run faster. . .

This is my first online game I have ever gotten into (39 years old) and I have a lot to learn. I was into online chess for years, but never video games. I don't care what anyone says--I was and am a pretty descent chess player--but I find this game more of a challenge and am hooked. I spend more time here learning and on YouTube, because I feel over time my hand to eye coordination will improve, but the head game is the actual game we are playing. It matters not that these are virtual tanks. Value is assigned by our minds. If you value your tank, your stats, your reputation as a tanker, you will "feel" every shell that pens your tank and become invested in winning the match. Because of this, we get stressed when we engage the enemy. Some people freeze, some flounder, or get tunnel vision--but those that remain calm and always think ahead will prevail. Those that learn to control as much of the battle as possible and learn to read the fluid nature of this game will always preform better then those who lose their cool the second they see an enemy tank. I was close to getting into that focused zone I used to have playing hours and hours of online chess before the update. Now I feel lost. Again, I just have to adapt my play and not blame the situation. Trying to play with the lag and not against it.. .I can not change game lag, only the way I play. I can not change if the game crashes right before battle, only prepare for what the battle may be if I am dropped back in and still alive.

Lucius, my average ping is around 275 on a good day. So can't be that, as 150 is still quite playable.  Are you seeing the battles almost like stop animation?  Jerky movements?

Team mates, please help me by reading Lert's excellent guide to basic tanking.

My Yolo Life YouTube Channel

koop123 #24 Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8300 battles
  • [ASTER]

Johan,

I just played two games. Smoked quicky by a T29 in three shots in Copperfield. As 4 of us went up the hill I froze, then jumped. He didn't see me and engaged an ally T1 Heavey. I should have known to pull back but the T29 was smoking us. I was able to pen three shots, tried to move back--frame jumped...I was dead. Oasis was better, but not by much, close to cap I started getting high 20's when I spotted an M3 Lee ( this was a Tier IV--V, Copperfield was V--VII) and a Russian TD. It seems the more tanks, the lower FPS and this is exactly when I need smooth gameplay. Anyway, I downloaded Battery Doctor--someone in another thread mentioned it might help. I guess I will go back in for more punishment. The worse is the T2 Light, the lag is so bad, what should be a fun tank is almost not playable.

gffcom #25 Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

REDACTED

• Players
  • 37120 battles
  • [SRT-]
Great primer. This should be pinned in the tutorials section with the title "Basic general tactics". I realize this goes beyond the basics, but the new guys don't need to know that.

Xs: IS-7, IS-4, FV215b, T110E5, E100, E50M, Obj 140, T-62A, M48A1 Patton, FV4202, Leopard 1, Obj 268

SPARTA 

gffcom #26 Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:48 PM

REDACTED

• Players
  • 37120 battles
  • [SRT-]

View Postluciuscornelliussulla, on 09 December 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

I feel over time my hand to eye coordination will improve, but the head game is the actual game we are playing. 

Good observation. This isn't a fast twitch shooter. We do need the muscle memory to be able to hit the buttons when we want to, but it is a strategy game, and its about decision making more than fast reaction time.

Xs: IS-7, IS-4, FV215b, T110E5, E100, E50M, Obj 140, T-62A, M48A1 Patton, FV4202, Leopard 1, Obj 268

SPARTA 

koop123 #27 Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8300 battles
  • [ASTER]

gffcom,

It is like learning to play guitar. . .in the beginning you stare at your hands, struggle not to buzz strings (acoustic) and focus so much on not sounding like a dying cat you don't really enjoy playing music. . .I tried changing the positions of a few of the control buttons and floundered so bad it was like my first day in the game. I realized that I just need to give things time, once I have the muscle memory I can shift focus and actually begin to play the real game. . .i just watched a video someone posted (Hero or Idiot) and the guy had Ping in the 20s and an almost constant FPS of 58-60. Very smooth gameplay, this is not my reality when I push Battle. I just have to adapt to the current situation.

ats1080 #28 Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:26 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles
If you are experiencing times when your tank appears to telephone or your game freezes for a few seconds 9 times out of 10 that is your Internet connection (packet loss). I would suggest trying to connect to another Internet connection and trying again. If things are stuttering particularly when there is a lot going on that is usually your device telling you to upgrade but usually will not cause the freezing and teleporting.

TheHollowSyndicate #29 Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:38 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2374 battles
Nice tactics. Thanks for sharing!
You mine.

dddqqq #30 Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:04 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10289 battles
Bump for appreciation 

ats1080 #31 Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles
Updated #8

Asiaticus #32 Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16340 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postluciuscornelliussulla, on 09 December 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

Johan,

I just played two games. Smoked quicky by a T29 in three shots in Copperfield. As 4 of us went up the hill I froze, then jumped. He didn't see me and engaged an ally T1 Heavey. I should have known to pull back but the T29 was smoking us. I was able to pen three shots, tried to move back--frame jumped...I was dead. Oasis was better, but not by much, close to cap I started getting high 20's when I spotted an M3 Lee ( this was a Tier IV--V, Copperfield was V--VII) and a Russian TD. It seems the more tanks, the lower FPS and this is exactly when I need smooth gameplay. Anyway, I downloaded Battery Doctor--someone in another thread mentioned it might help. I guess I will go back in for more punishment. The worse is the T2 Light, the lag is so bad, what should be a fun tank is almost not playable.

That used to happen to me all the time. I found that upgrading my wireless router from a very old model to a newer one helped a lot. Now ping stays pretty low most of the time, even when other people in the house are streaming video.

_TheMessiah #33 Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22876 battles
Uhhh nice I like number 3 a lot saved Soo many battles in PC.

koop123 #34 Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:04 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8300 battles
  • [ASTER]

Thanks ats1080. I work in home integration sales (Savant systems, RTI, Control4 with Anthem, Paradigm and Linn) and we just started installing Sonos for some clients who don't want to break the bank with their system--we brought on a tech guy to just design upgraded wifi and home networking since so much of this industry is going in that direction. . .anyway, life is so weird, I never got into gaming and our wifi was fine, until I got addicted to WOTB. I am still catching up and think I can upgrade our router and get a few wireless access points--explaining to the wife it has nothing to do with "that tank game." I use a company provided (never when I am "working") iPad mini first generation (we use them for control of Savant systems, since it is less expensive then their remotes) to play, but I think if I still have horrible FPS after fixing our wifi, I will upgrade the iPad. My stats are horrible and getting worse. But more importantly, it is starting to bother me--even when I am trying to adapt to the situation. I will never have unicorn skills, I just don't want to burden other teammates--I understand that many people don't want to pay for this game, playing in mid tier games on elites is their way of paying for their higher tier tanks. I don't want to make mistakes that cost them the game or get them damaged or killed. Anyway, learning for veterans and applying that to my game play is something I can do right now until I get my FPS and ping up to playable levels.

ats1080 #35 Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:56 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles

I would recommend ASUS routers.  They are all around great home routers for the price.  I have the NT-R66U router and it works wonderfully.

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY

Edited by ats1080, 11 December 2014 - 01:56 AM.

ats1080 #36 Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles
Updated 8.B

tcamp48 #37 Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:49 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 57939 battles
  • [III-S]
I completely relate. So many times this last weekend, the choppiness of the game sent my tanks sprawling from one part of the battlefield to the other......and yet, I'm still playing. ;)

koop123 #38 Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8300 battles
  • [ASTER]
Thanks for the link, ats, gonna check it out. Have not played all day. . .but I now check the forum and see if more people are mentioning the lag, before I dive in for more punishment. I still love this game and am trying to get better, but at this point it is getting harder to recall what the game was like before the issues. It is just my way of trying to adapt and cope with the new jump cut, tank in quicksand, disappearing tanks gameplay.

illnagas #39 Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 54889 battles
  • [10_BR]
thanks for the effort and i think your intentions are good, but i really hope people disregard 1,2, and 7.

thunderthies #40 Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:49 AM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 14051 battles

View Postillnagas, on 13 December 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

thanks for the effort and i think your intentions are good, but i really hope people disregard 1,2, and 7.

I can understand a debate on 1 and 2, but why would not want to focus fire? It's one of the most effective tools a platoon can use. 

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels

Also tagged with tactics, guide, help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users