General Tactics

tactics guide help

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

ats1080 #41 Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:25 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles
Added contents of #9.  Need to update #6 yet then it is pretty well complete.

illnagas #42 Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 56760 battles
  • [10_BR]

View Postthunderthies, on 13 December 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

I can understand a debate on 1 and 2, but why would not want to focus fire? It's one of the most effective tools a platoon can use. 

it's not a bad idea for a team to focus fire to take guns off the board, but how many times do multiple tanks have a clear sight line on ONE tank?  I see teams obsess on one target (sometimes me) while ignoring other more hittable targets, and the ignored targets inflict major damage, flank, etc.  If the target tank retreats, should the team wait, or just hit what's available?  If I'm supposed to focus on some tank that another teammate can damage, but my angle or gun causes me to hesitate, aim, and still possibly miss, it hurts the team more.  It's just not a good idea to be a lemming and its also impossible in the current format to actually coordinate what the target is by stopping play to type in commands.  Unless focus fire just boils down to "if there's an enemy in the wide open, shoot it" which is kinda duh.

Just use common sense and hit what you can damage, slow their maneuvers, etc

ats1080 #43 Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles

View Postillnagas, on 15 December 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

it's not a bad idea for a team to focus fire to take guns off the board, but how many times do multiple tanks have a clear sight line on ONE tank?  I see teams obsess on one target (sometimes me) while ignoring other more hittable targets, and the ignored targets inflict major damage, flank, etc.  If the target tank retreats, should the team wait, or just hit what's available?  If I'm supposed to focus on some tank that another teammate can damage, but my angle or gun causes me to hesitate, aim, and still possibly miss, it hurts the team more.  It's just not a good idea to be a lemming and its also impossible in the current format to actually coordinate what the target is by stopping play to type in commands.  Unless focus fire just boils down to "if there's an enemy in the wide open, shoot it" which is kinda duh.

Just use common sense and hit what you can damage, slow their maneuvers, etc

You have to use your best judgement.  If there are 3 tanks in front of you and they are all playing peekaboom, then of course you shoot whatever is available. Try your best to hit the same target the others are hitting.  Focus fire refers more to when there is a group of tanks in the wide open, with the opportunity to hit multiple tanks repeatedly.  You don't want to let that whole group of tanks back in to cover with 75% health each, you want to get one dead and leave the rest.

johndd1 #44 Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:05 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10 battles

View Postats1080, on 15 December 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

You have to use your best judgement.  If there are 3 tanks in front of you and they are all playing peekaboom, then of course you shoot whatever is available. Try your best to hit the same target the others are hitting.  Focus fire refers more to when there is a group of tanks in the wide open, with the opportunity to hit multiple tanks repeatedly.  You don't want to let that whole group of tanks back in to cover with 75% health each, you want to get one dead and leave the rest.

#removedamagedtanksfromthegame

You're just a bag of particles obeying the laws of physics

diagonalorange #45 Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:41 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 40447 battles
  • [GRIM]
Good points ats.  I might add "communicate an initial strategy." Especially if you are the top tier and because most will listen.  Some may disagree on this one, but I find chatting something simple like go to hill, town, refinery or even cap the base, is effective.  Much better than having no strategy at all.  The worst are tier X matches where no one says anything and the lower tiers sit in the spawn not knowing what to do or who to follow.  In this case, if that enemy team was coordinated, your hesitation and pause in the action probably already lost you the game.  Just my observations in game.  This is different from following the lemming train because if the lemming train decides to go to bridge on falls creek for example, you better believe I will be repeating cap the base and insisting we go there. 

tcamp48 #46 Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:51 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 60937 battles
  • [III-S]
See below....posted too soon.

Edited by tcamp48, 15 December 2014 - 09:52 PM.

tcamp48 #47 Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 60937 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postluciuscornelliussulla, on 09 December 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Thanks for this. I am struggling. I don't believe in blaming anyone but myself and my limitations, but it seems like since the update, the game is very choppy. I just got my KV-1 and would play a few games, then come here and study or watch gameplay on YouTube. But being in Tier VII battles, the game seemingly choppy and hard to play, it just feels like I have taken two steps back. It is hard enough playing fluid chess with grandmasters when the chessboard disappears and the pieces suddenly shift places. But how can I blame ping or slow FPS when I see that other KV-1 perform effortlessly? Often times we blame outside factors and fail to look inward and fix what we can. I got a T2 Light, but the speed is pointless when the lag makes gameplay disconcerting. Again, thanks to every veteran on here who bothers trying to share the knowledge they have gleaned playing this addictive game. Any doubts I was hooked were shattered because despite the lag, I still thrust myself into battle and try to help as much as I can before being obliterated by a veritable Olympian tanker.

It all takes time. Thousands of battles later and I'm still learning. There are so many amazing players and vets here in the forums, it's worth it to visit and read up every day. Many of these guys will provide you with a wealth of knowledge. 

Edited by tcamp48, 15 December 2014 - 09:53 PM.

JDMluv18 #48 Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:59 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5901 battles
Accidentally -1'd; I'll +1 one of your other posts. Thanks for the great guide!

Proud Member of Luckyshots & Imperium

Tanks in my Garage: LTP, Covenanter, Pz. IV, T29, T28, T20, T-44, ISU-152, KV-4, IS-3, IS-8, Panther II, Jagdtiger, Jg.Pz. E100, E75, & E100

Working for IS-7, T62A, and a 60% WR

Happy Tanking!

ats1080 #49 Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:58 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles

View Postdiagonalorange, on 15 December 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Good points ats.  I might add "communicate an initial strategy." Especially if you are the top tier and because most will listen.  Some may disagree on this one, but I find chatting something simple like go to hill, town, refinery or even cap the base, is effective.  Much better than having no strategy at all.  The worst are tier X matches where no one says anything and the lower tiers sit in the spawn not knowing what to do or who to follow.  In this case, if that enemy team was coordinated, your hesitation and pause in the action probably already lost you the game.  Just my observations in game.  This is different from following the lemming train because if the lemming train decides to go to bridge on falls creek for example, you better believe I will be repeating cap the base and insisting we go there. 

Good point, I'll add that in.

ats1080 #50 Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles
Updated 4, added 10 and 11 to be added soon, and made it look pretty.  Not sure why diagonalorange's name is not in the parenthesis, it looks fine in the editor.

thunderthies #51 Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:58 PM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 14051 battles
Mods: please pin this in the gameplay section! There's a lot of great info here.

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels

HBFT #52 Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:33 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 35 battles
Pinned and moved! :)  +1

Please read the WoT: Blitz Forum rules

Find us on Facebook & Twitter!

ats1080 #53 Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:46 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles
Thanks HBFT!  Any progress on the map tactics?

_law #54 Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:55 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23976 battles
  • [GRIM]
Nice pinned!

"Get two birds stoned at once."

BearHawkMan #55 Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7693 battles
  • [DFNT]
10/10 - IGN

YouTube: Here | Old Sig: Here

Come watch me play video games LIVE at twitch.tv/bearhawkman

ats1080 #56 Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:38 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles

View PostBearHawkMan, on 17 December 2014 - 12:40 AM, said:

10/10 - IGN

wat

ats1080 #57 Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles
It's been a while since I updated anything, so I added a bit to platoons.  More to come on the platoons in the next few days.

koop123 #58 Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:42 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8342 battles

Life is strange. . .I hope a lot of people read this response to Ats1080's amazing tactics thread, because it reflects on what kind of person he is. . .

Have you ever really sat and tried to imagine how crazy it is that there are 13 other human beings "in" all those other tanks as the battle counts down?

I often try to picture everyone--what they are doing, etc. I wonder if the reds are going to work together, wander if my allies will all wander off and who do I try to run after and help. I do a lot of wondering, maybe too much. But as I now have played 1,000 games, I realize how handicapped I am. I am a 39 year old who has never gamed before--my hand eye coordination needs work, a lot of work. But the importance of this tactics thread--the understanding that there needs to be a tactics thread--can not be stressed enough for any player on any level. I feel anyone can improve themselves if they try to learn from their mistakes and study and practice. I played a lot of chess my entire life and as I have said before, online chess was the only online "gaming" I have done. Games always bored me, seemed pointless. I would download a game for my phone and play it a few times then delete it. I played Infinity Blade for a small run, but grew bored. But I hope you Unicorns and Great Tankers know you have mastered a game that is FAR more challenging then chess. Chess is plodding, chess is methodical and if you have only played casually and we sit down and I open with the Alekhine Defence or better yet, the Stonewall Attack you will lose very quickly. Chess is solving a complex math problem, this game is solving complex math problem as a team, as your house is burning down and a cat is clawing the back of your neck. The fact that a lot of you seemingly play with ease always amazes me. . .

So I am at the office. I work in sales--which means I have a lot of free time. Our network is slow and taxed (we are a small audio/video custom install company) and I usually don't have the chance (too many eyes) or know the lag will be too horrible to play here. . .but I also know my first gen ipad mini is part of the problem and home wifi is not that much better. I have become addicted to this game. Until I have robust wifi and the latest ipad, the lag will be what it will be. . .anyway, I get a platoon request from ats1080.

I have no shame, this is why I am in sales. I don't care if it sounds stupid, or not cool--we are spending more of our lives online and in life I am just an open, "this is me" kind of guy--but I got very nervous. Really nervous seeing the toon request. Why? Because all of you master tankers are very intimidating. Every post I make the thought is," why would any of these people care what I have to contribute? I am a below average tanker, noob with not great wifi and device, so what does it matter what I think? But I learn so much from all of you and also am learning that it is one thing to know what tactics to use and another to be able to be cool headed enough to employ them during the game. I also did not want to let him down, or hurt his win rate. Worried that I would be so bad he would mock me. . .again, this is what I thought and I would be lying if I said otherwise. I just wanted to be in a game where I could learn from him and maybe be able to help contribute to a win.

Well, I shi* the bed.

Did not help that I just got a M3 Lee (I want to grind to tier up to the M4) and seemingly play it as if I am a blind two year old. The last few days have just been bad in that tank and it seems that it really messes with me and effects how I play in other tanks. I also am running the fully upgraded KV-1s and manage to suck less in that wonderful beast. What kills me is the match making. But I prefer it in an odd way, I think it makes you better to play with superior tankers. It is easier to run a Tier III or a Tier V, tiers I am used too-- but if you're comfortable, you are not learning. We end up on Falls Creek--I am in the KV-1s and he is in a medium. I Look down in horror and see ping at 240 with a high 30 FPS. Ok, work with it, you should be used to this by now. I follow his advice and try to follow and support--battle for the bridge. The reds are in full force and like a fool I try to hit a target with my 122 and start getting obliterated. I have played this scenario before--used the building to sidescrape--but here I am offering this giant target for everyone. Ats is behind the rock and working beautifully and I die right away. I felt horrible.

There are no excuses. Cool heads prevail and nervous players are dead players. 

We chat a bit, I explain I am at work (again, excuses. . .I am sure a lot of you have same issues and still play well) and maybe we can play again later? MM is BRUTAL for Tier VI and that is my highest Tier. He is a saint and asks if I want to toon one more game? Yes! Maybe MM will be more forgiving, maybe I will get a green ping and it will stay solid. . .maybe. . .

. . .not.

Oasis Palms. I spawn town, he is desert. I try to get out there as fast as I can. I have upgraded engine, pretty quick. I should have stayed low and let the dunes block me (as I have done before, again. . .nervous). Need I finish? Smoking ruin and I am crushed. I feel horrible.

I still do. But I needed to type this and share with the community. I am one of those players that tankers of ats1080's caliber roll and destroy. I do not have great stats. I am trying, but what defines a great player? Consistency. This is why their win rate is above the mean. It was great--strange, no? It was great because it showed me how much there is still to learn. A lot of you would never toon with someone like me. I am beneath you and can only hurt you chances for another win. But Ats was not like that. Even if this is the only time someone on his level toons with me, it was a great learning experience. He also gave me pointers in chat and didn't say I was horrible when I was. Thanks Ats1080! It felt like I was a teenager plucking away on a guitar I got for xmas when a flash of light lit my room and from a cosmic doorway, out walks Jimi Hendrix. He nods and says, "Hey man, want to jam?"

tl;dr: got the chance to toon with Ats1080, failed so much was gifted the domains: fail.org and fail.net, but hopefully learned a lot.

WR~0.23% Damage Ratio~.0009  WN9~ 35.  Avg Tier~1.10

ats1080 #59 Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1453 battles

View Postluciuscornelliussulla, on 19 December 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

tl;dr: got the chance to toon with Ats1080, failed so much was gifted the domains: fail.org and fail.net, but hopefully learned a lot.

lol I don't think you did that bad.  I've definitely seen worse.  Maybe I'll make an alt account for people that want to learn so they don't feel this way.

_IRONHAWK #60 Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 3742 battles
Thank you for the breakdown. It is very helpful. 

Also tagged with tactics, guide, help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users