Video games and thier effect on our minds, physically and mentally

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

outersketcher #1 Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10890 battles
  • [COD-R]

Okay, I've recently read some posts from forumers about the pros and cons of playing a game like WOTBlitz. Many are worried that playing video games can be damaging. And I agree, to the extent that too much of ANYTHING can be bad for you. However, there are proven benefits as well. One forumers comment on how playing the game helped him improve his hand and eye coordination after brain surgery was especially touching.

So there are moral, physical, and mental aspects of this argument that we could discuss. But I would like to focus on the physiological and mental effects of engaging in video game-play. 

I've been researching this subject online out of curiosity. And to be honest.. so far.. there seem to just as many articles BLAMING the use of video games for loss of grey matter in the brain, as there are articles claiming that it helps improve mental health and even staves off the onset of Dementia and Alzheimer.

I for one, believe that playing video games is good for our minds. I believe playing video games, sharpens our thinking, and helps keep our minds stronger and more resilient to atrophy and age. Just like exercising ones muscles. Video games exercise your mind. I've reached these conclusions based on my own personal experiences. From watching my own grandparents and parents begin exploring video games. And watching my own children play as well.

Granted.. I can see how overindulgence in constant game-play could be harmful. But so is overindulgence in ANYTHING. You can overindulge in water.

What do you think? I'm curious to hear your opinions.

....DamageDamageDamageDamageDamageDamageDamage....

also...

If you see me in the line up. Be aware, I won't go afk to preserve my damage. And I WON'T give you the win just cuz I'm the last one on my team still alive.

You're gonna have to come TAKE your win from me. I fight for the team.

NICKEL_AND_DIME #2 Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:30 PM

Insufficient Loyalty

• Players
  • 41612 battles
  • [III-S]

I have to set some limits on my video game play as I am the type to be somewhat addicted to it, if I give in.  One of the easy things I have to be diligent about is to NOT play immediately before going to sleep, and not push myself to play when I am physically or mentally fatigued.  If I do, I have high anxiety dreams that are amplified distortions of the worst experiences in game.  The end result is I don't get properly rested and it begins to consume too much real estate in my brain, which causes other more important arenas of life to suffer.

A very positive attribute of WOT Blitz is the development of situational awareness and the prioritization of tasks or targets.  I don't see this as bad, even if there is some frustration experienced when others do not place the same emphasis on what needs to happen next, etc.

It also helps me to realize how to brush things off and move on.  That is still very much a work in process, but each game is a new game just like every day is a new one.  It's a good perspective to develop.

__The_Dude_30__ #3 Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:36 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10941 battles
  • [RUDY]
Of course, too much of anything is bad. But, I think WOT Blitz is a very beneficial game. It can improve hand-eye coordination. It can also improve things like situational awareness, by making you pay attention to what is going on around you. Strategy, making you think outside the box to outsmart and outmaneuver your enemy. As well as adaptation. When something doesn't go according to plan, which is most of the time, you adapt and improvise to secure the win.

Member of the Training Room Police Department (TRPD)

Deputy Leader of RUDY

djhiz #4 Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12773 battles
  • [T-T-T]

Sparticus just started a thread on people's favorite forumers, and I think outersketcher deserves a recognized place among the best forumers.

o7 m8

"Common sense is not so common"

- Voltaire Jingles

WhiskeyCyclone #5 Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 18777 battles
  • [LONR]
I don't see a problem with playing VGs in moderation. I for one was hooked on this game like a junky on smack, and it did have an effect on my relationship, but she was addicted to candy crush, so there ya go. This is the first serious online, multiplayer game I've ever played, I used to only play single player games and still do. Multiplayer games like Blitz can be a bad place for sensitive people, with all the rage from the player base. And the stress with multiplayer games is real- worrying about stats, letting the team down, and so on. Blitz and similar games seem to be a substitute for making friends in the real world, or on dedicated social media platforms. Not that that's a bad thing. I think you summed it up poignantly with moderation being the key, not only with video games but in all things... except maybe for your career. 

Keep it old school. 

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #6 Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5837 battles
  • [COD-R]

View Postdjhiz, on 09 November 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

Sparticus just started a thread on people's favorite forumers, and I think outersketcher deserves a recognized place among the best forumers.

o7 m8

I definitely agree. Forgot to include him on my list though :(

I think Blitz has really helped me. It's a very unique game; you need to actually think and not just press the fire button over and over. Oh, and the forums. No joke, I think the forums have helped my English skill quite a lot. By watching and partaking in the various arguments you are forced to develop your prose and improve your delivery of ideas and evidence.

Google "succulent chins" and click on the first result. It will be very much worth your time! Some satisfied customers:

"T'was worth the read, but I shall never read it again. You have amazing writing skills, though. Teach me how to writeeeeee!" -you happy now?!?! HUH!?!?

"lol, googled succulent chins. It was worth it"

"10/10 wouldn't read again"

Co-founder of the Training Room Police Department (TRPD)

tater_WOT #7 Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 49861 battles
  • [III-P]
Waahoo! I'm not going to get oldtimers ! lol (Alzheimer's)

reluctanttheist #8 Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 18952 battles
  • [III-H]
To me Blitz is great because of the cerebral element of the game.  Learning is required.  There's a social element to it as well, and I've met great people through this game, and I play with my kids.  I'm not much for gaming otherwise, but Blitz has been a great pastime during the winter months in the Pacific Northwest when rain and dark are all you get for weather.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Watch the WoTB Users Manual Series  | Click here if you have lag  |  The best settings for your iOS device |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  | Get good: watch Bushka! | Check out tanks on Tank Compare

outersketcher #9 Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10890 battles
  • [COD-R]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 09 November 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

To me Blitz is great because of the cerebral element of the game.  Learning is required.  There's a social element to it as well, and I've met great people through this game, and I play with my kids.  I'm not much for gaming otherwise, but Blitz has been a great pastime during the winter months in the Pacific Northwest when rain and dark are all you get for weather.

PACIFIC NORTHWEST?!?  

I hereby offcially invite you to join our tuesday night forays into the training rooms. 

Just look for "Pacific Time Tankers" in the training room.. because.. well, all of us are Pacific Northwesterners. 

We start around 8:30 to whenever we feel like disbanding. We have a PTT Discord channel and we all hop on and laugh at each other while playing. Usual suspects in the training room will be War_Machine, PNW72, Boris, Skyshifter, CapMan, WouldChip, and.. and.. that-other-guy-who-I-like-but-can't-for-the-life-of-me-remember-his-name-at-the-moment, and myself.

We explore the maps, try to teach each other new game tactics.. but mostly.. we end up just having a blast attacking each other. Anyone is always invited to join us anytime.

Edited by outersketcher, 09 November 2017 - 09:03 PM.

also...

If you see me in the line up. Be aware, I won't go afk to preserve my damage. And I WON'T give you the win just cuz I'm the last one on my team still alive.

BluesAllDay #10 Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6609 battles
  • [SRV]
     It's a way for me to kill some time. Retired. Turn it on play a battle or three turn it of and do something else. If in a few hours I want to kill another 15 minutes I'll repeat.

dogs look up to you,

cats look down on you,

pigs look you in the eye

and treat you as equal.

EdAWACSdenyY #11 Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:59 PM

Resident Nice Guy of the Forums

• Players
  • 29677 battles
  • [501ST]
History 

Proud owner of Her Majesty's MBT the Centurion Mk 7/1

Armed with the Royal Ordnance 105 mm L7A1 Gun

outersketcher #12 Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10890 battles
  • [COD-R]

I've been in a hospital bed. Bored outa my mind. Trying to read but the pain just pounds and pounds. Your choices are watch day-time Television.. ( Oh Dear Gawd...) or.. some kinda pain killer that knocks you out. 

Ever since that last experience. I've often wondered why Hospitals don't install a simple video game system into the bedrooms.. Tho.. now that I think of it.. These days.. we all carry around our own gaming systems in our phones and tablets.

My littlest girl has a rare auto-immune disease called "Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis" or JIA. She is doing GREAT now. But there IS pain for her once in a while. And when that happens. Playing games on her mothers Ipad-mini helps distract her from that. I believe it works so well, because unlike say... watching a movie on TV, which is a passive activity.. the video games she plays, require active participation on her part. 

In short. The games engage her mind. Distracting her from pain.

That's a good thing.

Edited by outersketcher, 09 November 2017 - 10:47 PM.

also...

theFANTASTICfox #13 Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:47 AM

sparepartsophobia

• Players
  • 15129 battles
  • [-DD-]

Blitz got me interested in the Cold War and game modding 

Team Fortress 2 go me interested with creating in-game skins and stuff

Blazing Angels and IL-2 Sturmovik got me interested with aviation technology 

I sometimes make goofy game or animations in Alice or GameMaker

To put it simply; guns kill people whatever floats your boat

#24 in the IS-2 Victory

T49 ATGM: The most broken gift tank since the BT-7 Artillery

_blimster_ #14 Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:06 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 25301 battles
  • [COD-X]
Can def negatively hurt ur eyesight!!!!

Edited by _blimster_, 10 November 2017 - 01:07 AM.

outersketcher #15 Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10890 battles
  • [COD-R]

View Post_blimster_, on 09 November 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

Can def negatively hurt ur eyesight!!!!

heh.. well.. yah.. I'd agree with that. I've noticed a definate decline in my close up vision. Have to wear glasses now to play.

also...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users