How do I get better?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

DoctorHan #1 Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

Private

• Players
  • 3288 battles
  • [EINS]
I'm not exactly a noob, but I suck at the game. Look at my stats! How did you all stop being noobs?

GableHawk #2 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10371 battles
  • [F_S]
youtube by far

GableHawk #3 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10371 battles
  • [F_S]
Also, looks like you are rushing tiers like CRAZY. Slow down.

FitzhughGoode #4 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:08 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 67869 battles
  • [FUXII]

Welcome to the forum, Dr.

First let me say, you are waaaaay ahead of me in coming here.  Do some reading here.  The archives and such.  Lots of great players have left material here for players like you.  Watch some videos in the video vault.  Yes, yes, I know. Homework!  Get at 'er though.  You won't regret the time you put in.

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #5 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5825 battles
  • [COD-R]

1. The first thing you must realize is that a tank is not good or make you a better player simply because it is a high tier. By playing in a high tier when you aren't ready, you will face opponents that are much better than you. So, stay in tiers 5 and under until you hit 50% win rate or something.

2. Watch youtubers and learn from what they do. There are a variety to choose from: Sk8xtrm, M16, Bushka, Anon___, and many others who create helpful, informative content. Put the things you've learned into practice in the lower tiers first, and then progress to higher tiers as your skill increases.

3. Like FitzHughGoode said, there are several very good players on this forums who've written very good guides; they'll help you improve a lot. 

4. Watch the minimap!!!! Almost all newer players have a terrible grasp of situational awareness. By ingraining the habit of checking the minimap often, you'll quickly surpass others who don't.

Google "succulent chins" and click on the first result. It will be very much worth your time! Some satisfied customers:

"T'was worth the read, but I shall never read it again. You have amazing writing skills, though. Teach me how to writeeeeee!" -you happy now?!?! HUH!?!?

"lol, googled succulent chins. It was worth it"

"10/10 wouldn't read again"

Co-founder of the Training Room Police Department (TRPD)

DoctorHan #6 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

Private

• Players
  • 3288 battles
  • [EINS]

View PostGableHawk, on 14 November 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

Also, looks like you are rushing tiers like CRAZY. Slow down.

Thank you for your advice! I have recently been using videos to learn strategies, and it has helped me some. I really do need to slow down. Thank you!

Modern_Neanderthal #7 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

Sedentary Nomad

• Players
  • 29231 battles
  • [BOWL]

see above

also: don't rush lines just because you want the next tier tank.

Keep the tanks you are good at and/or enjoy playing and equip them up to v-stab at least. 

focus on doing madre damage per match and try to kill more tanks than you are getting killed. Higher damage ratio and higher kill ratio always equals higher WR in the long run

nukiwaza #8 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19260 battles
  • [XWING]

View PostDoctorHan, on 14 November 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

I'm not exactly a noob, but I suck at the game. Look at my stats! How did you all stop being noobs?

looks to me like you charged up the tiers waaaaayyy to soon. Drop back down to lower teir games and focus on learning to win there.i would also say you played too many styles of tanks rather than focusing on one skill set. 

Toolan #9 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

I still yolo

• Players
  • 35633 battles
  • [MRKVM]
Whoa Fitz. We’ve  been playing the the same amount of time and you have double my battles. Thats some serious tanking. 

FitzhughGoode #10 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 67869 battles
  • [FUXII]

View PostToolan, on 14 November 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

Whoa Fitz. We’ve  been playing the the same amount of time and you have double my battles. Thats some serious tanking. 

Was working part time.  Full time now.  Plus, I'm stingy as heck. Would rather grind it out than convert xp.  Not a good deal imo.

jahawa #11 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9455 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for asking for help. Some good advice above. Here's some things I would do.

Go back to tiers 3&4. Pick some tanks like the T-46, M2 Med, DW2, etc.

Improve your dmg ratio(DR), hit rate %, and survival rate.

You do this by learning how to reset camo, don't trade shots, take your time when aiming. You want to deal more dmg than you take.

Your DR should be above 1.0, hit rate in the 80's%, and survival in the 40's%

Watch when a red shoots, then peek out and shoot him.

Watch the mini-map. Did I say watch the mini-map. WATCH THE MINI-MAP.

The DW2 is an awesome tank. Learn how to sidescrape, peek a boom.

You should be doing at least double your tier in dmg per battle to carry your weight.

Learn the maps and the tanks you are driving. Learn the role of each type tank.

Ask questions here, but first search the forums for your answers. There are a lot of really good threads out there.

Ask some one better than you to platoon with you.

It takes a lot of battles to get good.

We are all still learning. Good luck!

BobboEvans #12 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 37717 battles
Oh my... your stats look like the German flag...

look on the bright side.  There's only one way for you to go.  Up!

Here's what I see.  You don't get nearly enough damage. Not even close.  So... why?  If I look at your survival rate... BINGO.  You die a lot and I'm guessing early.  By now, you should have a decent understanding of the maps and a general understanding of what the other team is likely to do on each map.  You need to move into a position on each map that gives you cover from where red is likely to be.  Don't go there alone and preferably with the whole team.  Don't camp spawn but don't be the first to spot, either.  You want to stay in cover, come out to shoot, and then go back into cover.  Don't come back out of cover until one of two things are known... 1) guns are not pointed at you or 2) you reset your camo (10 seconds).  Use this tactic in the early game so you don't become an early casualty.

Work on damage and damage only.  If you die... think about what you did wrong EVERY time.  Don't do that next game.  Longer you live... more damage you get.  Keep cover ALWAYS.

Start there.  

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

__Crusader6__ #13 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 43972 battles
  • [III]

Read the play guides here.  

Learn what the techniques and mechanics are.   

Watch some YouTube videos on game mechanics and play. 

Map Metas 

Pick a tier 5 tank and work on it. 

KV-1 being the easiest - but Crusader or US Sherman being better technical tanks to learn. 

Find a good 55%+ player to toon with for a bit to help you - ideally with voice 

Join the BCC, let's make Blitz great again together https://discord.gg/cdDdKMw

Certified Tank Hoarder: 306 tanks in Garage (52 now equipped thx 3.8), 291/308 aced (Mk1 and T49A repo), and ~wallet warrior

WANTED: SPARE PARTS...

acrisis #14 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19019 battles
  • [EQ-TR]

How? Simply focus on getting better, and keep working on it, continuously.

And you made the right first step, by coming to the forum and asking for help here :)

Think briefly after every battle what you could have done better. If you die early, watch the battle complete, and look what good greens or reds are doing. Then work that into your gameplay.

Note that about 2-3 games out of 10 are probably auto-losses and auto-wins ... simply based on which team has better players, tanks, etc. So don't worry about those steamrolls too much.

Based on this ... https://www.blitzsta...r/com/doctorhan
You play too high up for your experience and insights, probably wait in the back (limited to no spotting in many tanks) and only do a couple shots of damage per game, probably when the game is already decided / lost ... or maybe you go to what you think is a key position, based on past success, but it is not really an advantage to the team under the battle circumstances.

First step. Stop playing 6 7 8 9. Back to tier 3 4 5. Get those tanks to 50% 55%, learn the maps, learn to read the teams, don't go solo, go with the group... start doing more damage per battle while staying alive longer. Make your shots count, don't snapshot and miss/bounce ... aim in a bit more and try to make shots that will pen and do damage. Don't rush out there and implode. Don't engage two three enemies at a time because you want to get a kill. Learn about holding hard cover, practice peekabooming, start sidescraping, ... and start doing more damage than your own tank has hitpoints. Go with the team and play forward enough so you can do damage from start to finish ... always keeping an eye out for hard cover, which shot to take next ... and if you don't see many reds ahead of you, expect them to flank around.

Make sure your tanks are setup for success, have repair kits, have three types of ammo ... and be ready to use them as needed.

Make sure your phone, tablet, laptop is setup properly too.  Are the controls in the right place? Big enough? Etc.

If you have discord (free app) and are interested, I'd be happy to have a chat, point you to some great video series I have bookmarked, platoon a few.

Edited by acrisis, 14 November 2017 - 06:34 PM.

Blitz   Community   Coalition   
 BCC Forum Thread | BCC Discord invite

Mission Poll  |  Goose Event Poll  | ... 
Looney Tooners  ||  Triarii  ||  Blitz University  ||  Basic Training  ||  Mentor

2.8 Blitz Economy - A visual of the credit coefficients | Got lag? =>  Pingplotter thread

KanKanMikan #15 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

Vladimir-Taichou no Tanku

• Players
  • 18934 battles
  • [PURPL]
In my point of view, Blitz dramatically changed so I have to Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Tier X: IS-7, IS-4, Object 140, Grille 15, Leopard 1, AMX 50 B, E 100, Obj 268, T57 Heavy

First MAHOU/ANEKI member to reach Diamond League

ShootinSabot #16 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11871 battles
  • [SPUDX]
OP I can’t add any advice to what has been said already. I will add this, some truly gifted players have stopped by your thread to offer extended replies. It is just possible that they can be convinced to give some person mentoring so add them in game and see what happens. I have learned from personal experience that forum unicums don’t bite, they may growl a bit, but no biting. Also be aware that when you start tooning with good players, your inner potato will rear it’s ugly head. Just relax, they get into their tanks one leg at time, just like you.

Flinger of Taters

krietenstein34 #17 Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 21701 battles
  • [HAHA]
play tier 2 and 3.   Make some tanks Blue or Purple  Once you can Seal Club effectively,  play some higher tier stuff.  Make a staying alive a priority
Best Game Ever>>>> NHL 94' on Sega CD.

Cletusrocks_ap #18 Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11913 battles
  • [CTIRE]
You've had tons of good advice on this thread, and no salty a-holes [which is weird].  The only thing I have to add is that when I started out I'd youtube a couple of reviews on each tank I bought before I started playing it.  It made a big difference!  After you've played a while you learn all the tanks by playing against them, I don't do this anymore [mostly].  Oh, and learn to find cover.  Years ago, playing other games, a buddy told me to focus on surviving first.  Once I could do that, start learning to kill.

Howitzer_155 #19 Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 41756 battles
  • [DD]
be real patient moving up tiers....become completely efficient in each tier then move. its not a sprint race..watch hrs of gameplay and try mimic  the strats u comprehend. 

Edited by Howitzer_155, 14 November 2017 - 07:36 PM.

DoctorHan #20 Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

Private

• Players
  • 3288 battles
  • [EINS]
Thanks, guys. I'm definitely going to have to start sealclubbing. Is the Luchs good for it? It is an easy one to carry in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users