M6 is Outdated

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

UTA_Tank_Commander #1 Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:37 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1570 battles
  • [UTA1]
The American tier VI “heavy” tank is so outdated. It really needs changes or buffs done to it. Wargaming has held off on this for far too long. Nobody even plays the tank anymore and those that do are just grinding for the T29 and up. Also I quoted heavy because it isn’t very heavy like for a heavy tank. More like big fat slow medium. It’s about time Wargaming takes a hard look at this tank and sees how they can change it to make it at least decent if not better. It’s the second or third worst tier VI tank. Only one I can think of off the top of my head that beats it is Churchill Gun Carrier. That thing also needs changing or it should be removed. Nobody plays that thing either and if they do they are stupid or crazy.

YourTypicalNoob #2 Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:57 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11728 battles
  • [-7-]

I disagree, its got a great 90mm, a trollish armor profile, gun depression and heavium mobility.

If you are expecting to bounce shots from all angles, don't. It can bully tier 5s, but don't count on bounces from tier 6s even though you will get a fair amount.

_The_Tactition_ #3 Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:33 AM

The Best Tactician

• Players
  • 16818 battles
  • [CRUEL]

It’s a heavium. If you want a brute heavy, go get a T-150 or ARL 44. 

Member of the Training Room Police Department

tankeatingtiger #4 Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7342 battles
  • [XWING]
Well considering it is about 70 years old of course it is outdated

YouTube Channel: 

https://m.youtube.co...yh36wuxFqeEiO3g

There's an old Etruscan saying, "you can lead a horse to water, and you can really freak out your enemies by leaving its severed head in their bed."

-Blartch

UTA_Tank_Commander #5 Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1570 battles
  • [UTA1]

View PostYourTypicalNoob, on 19 November 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

I disagree, its got a great 90mm, a trollish armor profile, gun depression and heavium mobility.

If you are expecting to bounce shots from all angles, don't. It can bully tier 5s, but don't count on bounces from tier 6s even though you will get a fair amount.

Pfft! Trollish armor my foot. It rarely, if ever, gets any bounces. Even tier Vs can pen it if they aren’t completely stupid. It has no armor and is crap for a so called heavium. Nobody even plays the darn thing anymore.

Edited by UTA_Tank_Commander, 19 November 2017 - 05:03 PM.

UTA_Tank_Commander #6 Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1570 battles
  • [UTA1]

View Post_The_Tactition_, on 19 November 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

It’s a heavium. If you want a brute heavy, go get a T-150 or ARL 44. 

Eh, I wouldn’t call ARL a brute heavy. The turret is too weak for it to quite be that. Though Wargaming did nerf it’s mobility a bit. At least on the traverse they did. I guess I can get why but at the same time it wasn’t that tough if you know what you’re doing when going against one. T-150 I can agree is a brute heavy if used right but I never got that down with it. Wasn’t until KV-4 that I understood sidescraping. Plus T-150 is so dang slow so if mediums and lights push on you you’re screwed. Still it’s not a bad tank. It’s just the game has become too gear toward speed and dpm rather than armor and firepower.

fangs58 #7 Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:00 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7988 battles
  • [WHC]
It's a good tank it's just doesn't look as sexy as some of the others at the tier. Good gun depression tank. Hide your side face the enemy and shoot away. When the numbers start to drop on the red side you can chase them down and ram, ram, ram. Granted a buff to the hull traverse numbers and the forward speed would be helpful. But I like it. The tier 6 heavy that needs to be updated is the Churchill VII. That one needs some work. 

UTA_Tank_Commander #8 Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:09 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1570 battles
  • [UTA1]

View Postfangs58, on 21 November 2017 - 04:00 AM, said:

It's a good tank it's just doesn't look as sexy as some of the others at the tier. Good gun depression tank. Hide your side face the enemy and shoot away. When the numbers start to drop on the red side you can chase them down and ram, ram, ram. Granted a buff to the hull traverse numbers and the forward speed would be helpful. But I like it. The tier 6 heavy that needs to be updated is the Churchill VII. That one needs some work. 

No mate. The armor is what needs to be updated. Specific weak points in it need to be removed. Not talking about the sides but the weak links in the frontal armor. It’s armor let’s it down. Hull downing doesn’t work with the M6 like it does with T29 and T32. Those 2 can do it but M6 cannot because of the size and shape of the hull. Plus the turret is kind of small compared to the hull. So basically it’s still penetrable no matter what you do with it. Unless someone is an idiot who panick fires they will pen you no matter what you do. The armor just has too many holes.

fangs58 #9 Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7988 battles
  • [WHC]
You are right about the armor. It can be a challenge, I don't usually treat it like a T-29 because as you said the turret is not that strong and the front wheels can be a liability. I guess i use more like a gun depression medium, or maybe a more mobile Jackson. I shoot, move and shoot a lot. So I guess to your point it is not really a proper heavy not a breakthrough tank. I think that is a problem with the original design of the tank, and is also probably why it never reached production status. It is in my garage, and for me it is a keeper so any buffs would be very much appreciated. But IMHO the worst tier 6 heavy is Churchill VII (and I like the Churchill tank line). It just does nothing really well at this point. At least on the T110-E5 line I have two routes to the T-29, either the Jumbo or the M6. My only path to the Caernarvon is through Churchill VII and The Black Prince. Two painful grinds the way the game is currently constructed with all of the very powerful medium and light tanks in tier 6 and 7. If they could make both better then it Merry Christmas. 

UTA_Tank_Commander #10 Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1570 battles
  • [UTA1]

View Postfangs58, on 21 November 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

You are right about the armor. It can be a challenge, I don't usually treat it like a T-29 because as you said the turret is not that strong and the front wheels can be a liability. I guess i use more like a gun depression medium, or maybe a more mobile Jackson. I shoot, move and shoot a lot. So I guess to your point it is not really a proper heavy not a breakthrough tank. I think that is a problem with the original design of the tank, and is also probably why it never reached production status. It is in my garage, and for me it is a keeper so any buffs would be very much appreciated. But IMHO the worst tier 6 heavy is Churchill VII (and I like the Churchill tank line). It just does nothing really well at this point. At least on the T110-E5 line I have two routes to the T-29, either the Jumbo or the M6. My only path to the Caernarvon is through Churchill VII and The Black Prince. Two painful grinds the way the game is currently constructed with all of the very powerful medium and light tanks in tier 6 and 7. If they could make both better then it Merry Christmas. 

Actually the worst tier VI tank altogether is the Churchill Gun Carrier as can be clearly seen by the lack of players using it. Those that do usually wind up dead real quick. Still M6 isn’t very good for a heavy class. It could be called a heavium but the Tiger I is better at being that than M6 arguably. As for Churchill VII and BP I guess they could use some buffing. Churchill to mobility. Not saying it has too be as fast a heavium but retain it’s armor but it could be faster. I have managed sidescraping with it but it isn’t easy so side armor isn’t the most effective for that. Maybe better side armor and a bit faster top speed. BP though is the one that really needs buffing. Even it’s armor isn’t very effective anywhere. The only strong part of it’s armor is the turret front. The hull front isn’t as reliable. I think it needs better armor and a slightly higher top speed. I don’t know how much higher Wargaming can make their top speeds but they must be higher. Also while we are on the topic AT 8 to AT 15 need buffs to armor on certain areas plus need better traverse speeds or better top speeds or a little of both. They are just too slow with too many weak points to be very effective. This is made worse by the lack of TD sniping positions. You cannot set up a TD in an area with a nice combination of hard and soft cover. Oh no the maps have a lack of good TD cover for any type of TD. They’re geared more toward the fast tanks which is stupid in my opinion.

Edited by UTA_Tank_Commander, 21 November 2017 - 11:48 PM.

fangs58 #11 Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:21 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7988 battles
  • [WHC]

View PostUTA_Tank_Commander, on 21 November 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

Actually the worst tier VI tank altogether is the Churchill Gun Carrier as can be clearly seen by the lack of players using it. Those that do usually wind up dead real quick. Still M6 isn’t very good for a heavy class. It could be called a heavium but the Tiger I is better at being that than M6 arguably. As for Churchill VII and BP I guess they could use some buffing. Churchill to mobility. Not saying it has too be as fast a heavium but retain it’s armor but it could be faster. I have managed sidescraping with it but it isn’t easy so side armor isn’t the most effective for that. Maybe better side armor and a bit faster top speed. BP though is the one that really needs buffing. Even it’s armor isn’t very effective anywhere. The only strong part of it’s armor is the turret front. The hull front isn’t as reliable. I think it needs better armor and a slightly higher top speed. I don’t know how much higher Wargaming can make their top speeds but they must be higher. Also while we are on the topic AT 8 to AT 15 need buffs to armor on certain areas plus need better traverse speeds or better top speeds or a little of both. They are just too slow with too many weak points to be very effective. This is made worse by the lack of TD sniping positions. You cannot set up a TD in an area with a nice combination of hard and soft cover. Oh no the maps have a lack of good TD cover for any type of TD. They’re geared more toward the fast tanks which is stupid in my opinion.

LOL on the Churchill Gun Carrier I was considering it a TD that is why I didn't include. Yeah Churchill VII just needs some more speed and mobility. It is a little better since the last buff but I emphasize little. I love the gun and when I can get it into action I can do pretty well. The problem is getting there.  I have my suspicions about the Black Prince there is supposed to be a new Churchill Premium coming at Tier, and they have been talking about some realignment of the heavy line. I know absolutely nothing this is just a total SWAG. I would not be surprised if the Black Prince was the new Premium and there is either a new tier VII heavy or something like the FV201 from WOT, or they add the Super Conqueror at Tier 9 and then move the Caernarvon and Conqueror down a tier. I like the first one better as that would have less negative impact. If you have the Black Prince you just got a premium tank. If you move the other two down a tier that would make a lot of people very angry. Hopefully they will buff them all M6 and Churchill family. 

snoozyalooz #12 Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:33 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 40858 battles
  • [YOTA]
I like my M6.  One of my trusted tanks.  It is nothing fancy but it does a good job for me. 1065 battles and 65% wr but only 590 avg pen.  I would like to see more alpha but it is ok as in my opinion.

UTA_Tank_Commander #13 Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:50 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1570 battles
  • [UTA1]

View Postsnoozyalooz, on 22 November 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

I like my M6.  One of my trusted tanks.  It is nothing fancy but it does a good job for me. 1065 battles and 65% wr but only 590 avg pen.  I would like to see more alpha but it is ok as in my opinion.

Eh, I’ve driven it 3 times now. I guess my initial frustration each time was because of the grind to get the parts. But even fully upgraded it isn’t really a worthy keeper to me. The armor is the main issue but accuracy is also a slight issue. It’s just not a fun tank to me. It’s just there to slow you down on getting the far superior T29 the way I see it. T32 is similar to T29 in play style but I wish they’d up the pen on its standard rounds at least. At tier VIII 198mm doesn’t cut it. Anyway M6 is one of my pet peeve tanks. 

Edited by UTA_Tank_Commander, 11 December 2017 - 01:30 AM.

tjohn6041 #14 Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10865 battles
  • [TMPN]

IMO the while line needs love.  I was OK with the M6, that was nearly 3 years ago and it has been completely power crept.  I don't even fear them in a Tier V. 

A basic suggestion is buff mobility. 

The whole line is based on peeking over hills and turret armor, but has gotten outdated since the addition of light tanks. 

The IS line which has speed and Alpha or the KV line which has Armor and Alpha. 

The E100 line has Accuracy and DPM

the Maus Line has Armor and DPM and the switches to Armor Armor

The T110E5 line doesn't excel until the M103, which is still heavily compromised in the face of the E75 and IS-8.  

They don't have the hull armor to be true heavies, and they don't have the mobility to be heaviums.  They don't have the DPM or gunhandling to be snipers.  Good on maps where you have teammates to block your flank, but overall subpar tanks for most players.  

Garage:                          Loads...

Premium tanks:              Loads...

Favorite tanks:               T6 Dracula, Van Helsing HO, Su-76i Ice Claw, M4A3E4, IS-3, Object 704

I'm a wallet warrior...deal with it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users