Jump to content


STA-1 Turret Side Armor

STA-1

  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

RommelTanker #21 Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:14 AM

    He who is supremely annoying

  • Players
  • 7872 battles
  • 2,911
  • [ACTS2]
  • Member since:
    09-03-2017

View Postminitel_NA, on 04 December 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

 

what you see is different fro. What the server sees, and the server is right and accurate, your device is only showing his best guess. Which in most cases is close enough to play. And sometimes not.

 

also, heat ont only get trapped in spaced armor (tracks, etc...) which u see, to know already, but also doesn’t normalize. So angles or rounded shapes can trick you. 

 

I hate heat.

 

I find HEAT more reliable at range and in general. APCR shells are bizarre in that they like to not penetrate tracks and they lose penetration far faster than standard AP at range (Think of it like this, if AP lost 10% pen at 200m, APCR lost 25% [Which is generally your standard pen at that point])
Something something insert joke here

AmmorackedIS7 #22 Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:23 AM

    something vaguely inappropriate

  • Players
  • 23237 battles
  • 166
  • [501ST]
  • Member since:
    05-16-2013

View PostRommelTanker, on 06 December 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

 

I find HEAT more reliable at range and in general. APCR shells are bizarre in that they like to not penetrate tracks and they lose penetration far faster than standard AP at range (Think of it like this, if AP lost 10% pen at 200m, APCR lost 25% [Which is generally your standard pen at that point])

There are no high tier tanks that have AP overcome APCR in pen. 0.



minitel_NA #23 Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:03 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 454 battles
  • 5,896
  • [EUREF]
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

View PostRommelTanker, on 07 December 2017 - 01:14 AM, said:

Minitelrose

 […] 

also, not only HEAT does get trapped in spaced armor (tracks, etc…;) which you seem to know already, but aloe it doesn’t normalize, so the effect of angle on heat is greater than on AP or APCR and will therefore trick you more often than with these.

  

I find HEAT more reliable at range and in general. APCR shells are bizarre in that they like to not penetrate tracks and they lose penetration far faster than standard AP at range (Think of it like this, if AP lost 10% pen at 200m, APCR lost 25% [Which is generally your standard pen at that point])

 

That’s right. 

Heat doesn’t lose any pen in the distance. Plus, shapes become much flatter in the distance. So both make heat a clearly advantageous ammo for long distance.

 

about AP to APCR loss of pen with the distance, yes APCR loses pen faster.. however this is more noticeable in the PC game.

in blitz, shots at longer range than 250 are extremely rare, because of both gameplay and map design.

and at this distance, it’s not clear if the red hitskin is to be trusted anymore (i think it adjust tp the distance but I have never clearly made a test. Maybe it’s time someone does it) but overall , I still found that APCR pens better than AP. So I wish they would make the loss of pen more obvious, occurring onto shorter distance, to make the ammo choice a more interesting game feature.

 

the only place where you could  tell APCR is not as good as AP was the old sniper duel map, aka Oasis palm the 3rd. But this map is no more.

 

influence of distance on the armor angle (which is why E100 is a better “in yer face tank” BTW

shooting from 10 m away

 

shooting from 150 away

 

(Pictures from www.wotinspector.com) 


Edited by minitel_NA, 07 December 2017 - 08:27 AM.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

 


minitel_NA #24 Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:06 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 454 battles
  • 5,896
  • [EUREF]
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

View PostAmmorackedIS7, on 07 December 2017 - 05:23 AM, said:

There are no high tier tanks that have AP overcome APCR in pen. 0.

 

any tank AP penetration will overcome APCR penetration, with a shot that is made from a distance long enough. That because APCR loses penetration over distance faster than AP, due to the construction : APCR is a lighter shell with a harder core. It reaches higher speed and therefore more kinetic energy and other advantages (less leading of target), but it is also more subject to air resistance (due to faster speed and less mass). Hence the loss of speed, and since the pen of APCR relies on speed rather than mass,  the drastic loss of pen.

 

as I mention above, though, meeting the case in blitz is rare and I wish it was more often, for gameplay interest.


Edited by minitel_NA, 07 December 2017 - 08:09 AM.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

 


AmmorackedIS7 #25 Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

    something vaguely inappropriate

  • Players
  • 23237 battles
  • 166
  • [501ST]
  • Member since:
    05-16-2013

View Postminitel_NA, on 07 December 2017 - 03:06 AM, said:

 

any tank AP penetration will overcome APCR penetration, with a shot that is made from a distance long enough. That because APCR loses penetration over distance faster than AP, due to the construction : APCR is a lighter shell with a harder core. It reaches higher speed and therefore more kinetic energy and other advantages (less leading of target), but it is also more subject to air resistance (due to faster speed and less mass). Hence the loss of speed, and since the pen of APCR relies on speed rather than mass,  the drastic loss of pen.

 

as I mention above, though, meeting the case in blitz is rare and I wish it was more often, for gameplay interest.

Well that's the thing, there aren't any distances long enough.







Also tagged with STA-1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users