How's the Pershing?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

KDEstroy_1 #1 Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:26 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6290 battles

I have maxed out the T20 and mastered it a couple of times, I think it's a fun little tank that forces me to play well and think about every move. I just wish the gun's DPM was higher.

I'm about 50k xp away from the Pershing, and looking at the stats I can already see that it won't be a pleasant grind. It has the exact same gun as the T20 ( with slightly higher pen), which to be honest is already underpowered at tier 7.

Now, all of you Pershing fans are probably going to tell me to just go hull down and abuse that turret. I've spent about 500 battles in the Centurion 1 and Centurion 7/1 combined, so I'm quite comfortable with going hull down, but it's just that the Pershing has neither the DPM or the pen of the Cent 1's gun , while having a slightly thinner turret armor, so I don't see what the Pershing can do that the Cent 1 can't. Which is discouraging, and Cent 1 is probably the worst tank in the entire main British medium line.

Obviously, Pershing is by no means the best hill fighter, its DPM is too low to be an effective flanker, and its penetration isn't high enough to snipe effectively. I just don't see how this tank is supposed to be played. 

(and yes, many people like the high APCR pen, but spamming APCR lowers the DPM to tier 4 levels. )

Posit1ve_ #2 Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:49 AM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 79726 battles
  • [_N_]

Pershing was probably the best tier 8 med in the past, especially before the prammo nerf, but now it's not quite as good as it used to be. However it's still a very strong tank. 

You bring up the Cent as a comparison, and while it is a somewhat valid comparison, Pershing is simply just much better (One of the reasons I hate Bushka's vid on it)

Sure cent has better DPM and pen, but that's really it. Pershing's turret, is much better than Cent against pretty much everything other than TDs. Cent's turret can be penned in the turret ring, as well as the very prominent forehead quite easily, as well as the cheeks. Pershing's mantlet covers much more of the tank, and really, only the small cupola is pennable.

Furthermore, Pershing has 225 alpha, which lets it trade well, unlike Cent's terribad 180, which also means Cent needs much more exposure time to use its DPM unlike Pershing. Pershing also has better gun handling, further exacerbating this difference.  

Couple this with better mobility (Cent is BADLY limited by the 40km/h max) and a much lower profile, and for me, Pershing is the clear winner.

Edited by Posit1ve_, 04 December 2017 - 05:49 AM.

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

wannabeunicum #3 Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:24 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 51682 battles
  • [-MM]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 04 December 2017 - 05:49 AM, said:

Pershing was probably the best tier 8 med in the past, especially before the prammo nerf, but now it's not quite as good as it used to be. However it's still a very strong tank. 

You bring up the Cent as a comparison, and while it is a somewhat valid comparison, Pershing is simply just much better (One of the reasons I hate Bushka's vid on it)

Sure cent has better DPM and pen, but that's really it. Pershing's turret, is much better than Cent against pretty much everything other than TDs. Cent's turret can be penned in the turret ring, as well as the very prominent forehead quite easily, as well as the cheeks. Pershing's mantlet covers much more of the tank, and really, only the small cupola is pennable.

Furthermore, Pershing has 225 alpha, which lets it trade well, unlike Cent's terribad 180, which also means Cent needs much more exposure time to use its DPM unlike Pershing. Pershing also has better gun handling, further exacerbating this difference.  

Couple this with better mobility (Cent is BADLY limited by the 40km/h max) and a much lower profile, and for me, Pershing is the clear winner.

Honestly I preferred the cent

IMO the cent turret felt harder to pen overall and the alpha difference is not really worth it> Id rather have the cents rof for 2 shots for 1 and then if needed the penetration is much better

KingxChuck #4 Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:19 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17304 battles
  • [DD]

View Postwannabeunicum, on 03 December 2017 - 10:24 PM, said:

IMO the cent turret felt harder to pen overall

​Nein

Me going hill

↳                    Morons who go town                     ↵

SanguinaryDan #5 Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles
  • [III-P]

I felt safer in the Pershing than I ever did in the Centurion I. Bouncier turret plus overall heavier armor combined with stronger gun and better mobility?  Yes please.

The Centurion I is a means to an end.  It’s gets you to the 7/1.  The Pershing is a keeper.

The point of the game is to win.  The purpose of the game is to have fun.  They are not mutually exclusive.

Pittoors_ #6 Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:14 PM

Killer Queen has already touched this forum title

• Players
  • 36098 battles
  • [MAHOU]
It's OK, I don't dislike it, but if I want a good tier VIII medium I would drive the Indien Panzer. Go hull down when you can, the turret is good but not reliable. Be sure to aim your shots because the gun handling is very rubbish. The M46 and M48 are much better tier for tier IMO, so it's worth the grind.

https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/Pittoors_

Current garage: M48A1 Patton, IS-4, T110E5, E 50 Ausf. M, Leopard 1, T-62A, M46 Patton, T54E1, IS-8, IS-5, IS-6, Rheinmetall Borsig Waffentrager, T49, T23E3Type 62, Helsing, T-34-1, Kuro Mori MineAC IV Sentinel, SU-100YStridsvagn 74A2, Panzer IV Anko SP, Churchill III, T-34, Hetzer Kame SP, A-32, DW 2, Panzer S35, BT-SV, BT-7 Artillery, SU-76i, T-15M3 LightT2 LightT7 Combat CarLight Mk. VIC.

BobboEvans #7 Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42252 battles
The Pershing is a great tank.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The grind, however, is difficult.  It's slow upgraded and is really slow stock.  The gun is fantastic.  I found it has enough punch to stay with AP most of the time.  The prammo nerf has impacted it a little but not much.

If you like depression and working ridges you will like this tank.  It's not as fast as the T-20 so you have to be more aware of the map.  That will help as you go to the M46 though.

I did not line the Cent I.  

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

KDEstroy_1 #8 Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6290 battles

View PostPosit1ve_, on 03 December 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

Centurion 1 also has a more accurate gun with quicker aim time. Sadly, Pershing can't pen the front armor of t8 heavies without APCR, and with APCR the alpha is the same as Cent 1.

Kiser_Sosei #9 Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:23 PM

Who is Kiser Sosei?!?

• Players
  • 41271 battles
  • [III-C]
Pershing and M46 are great. M48 will disappoint you.

"MM may not be rigged but RNGesus only answers the prayers of one team."
My WOTB Youtube Channel.

https://www.blitzsta...com/Kiser_Sosei

SanguinaryDan #10 Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostKiser_Sosei, on 04 December 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

I thought the M46 was the disappointing one.  Great mobility plus a solid gun with excellent gun handling just couldn’t make up for the crap turret armor. You go from a solidly dependable mantlet to effectively no mantlet.  So if you’re not above the reds you get penned by everybody, hull down or not.

I’ve found the M48 to be the best of both worlds with the added bonus of a really, really good gun.  Not that I’m any damned good.  But at least I know that, if it’s not a TD with mega cannon, I’ll bounce the shot of the guy I’m aiming at while hull down.

The point of the game is to win.  The purpose of the game is to have fun.  They are not mutually exclusive.

Boomer_Von_Doom_II #11 Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20490 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostKiser_Sosei, on 04 December 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

​[edited].  M48 is probably the best tier X medium.  The turret is outstanding (I regularly bounce TD rounds) AND it has great depression.  Its on-the-move accuracy I believe is the best out of all tier Xs.  Put fuel on it and its also pretty quick.  The DPM is pretty good too.

Tier Xs: M48 Patton, E100, T110E4, T110E5, Maus, T57

Join my Discord: https://discord.gg/vkMn9Q7

View PostASensationalAsian, on 27 July 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

Anyone who drives a 183 please commit die.

Kiser_Sosei #12 Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

Who is Kiser Sosei?!?

• Players
  • 41271 battles
  • [III-C]

I just can not make the M48 sing like the other two. 

M26 - 64% Super Uni

M46 - 63% Uni

M48 - 47% Good

"MM may not be rigged but RNGesus only answers the prayers of one team."
My WOTB Youtube Channel.

https://www.blitzsta...com/Kiser_Sosei

Boomer_Von_Doom_II #13 Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20490 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostKiser_Sosei, on 05 December 2017 - 11:50 AM, said:

I just can not make the M48 sing like the other two. 

M26 - 64% Super Uni

M46 - 63% Uni

M48 - 47% Good

​Its a tough tank to master.  Took me 300ish battles to get the hang of it.  Once you crack it though, it will shred enemies.

Tier Xs: M48 Patton, E100, T110E4, T110E5, Maus, T57

Join my Discord: https://discord.gg/vkMn9Q7

View PostASensationalAsian, on 27 July 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

Anyone who drives a 183 please commit die.

Mattty2004 #14 Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5731 battles
Pershing is a beast in the right circumstances. Try to platoon with a Russian or German med with good dpm and you’ll see it can perform. A good mix of gun depression and turret armor is nice. Also, the tracks are huge. Just remember to always keep moving. The gun handling is phenomenal. Use the upper half of the tank most and you’ll see a difference in your wr

Mattty2004 #15 Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5731 battles
M48 is one of my favorite tanks. It beats the stb-1 by a great margin. The best medium turret armor with a mix of great gun depression. Always try to find hills or mounds to use it. Also, the traverse is the best.

SanguinaryDan #16 Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles
  • [III-P]

It’s a funny line.  The Pershing is a hull down bounce machine.  While the M46 takes about the same level of luck you need to win an M60 to generate bounces in the same circumstances.  And then the M48 again bounces nearly everything thrown at it.

But the M48 is so worth the effort. I’ve got a 90% hit rate with the gun and it’s easily the most flexible Tier X Medium.  When you’re are hull down and wiggling-jiggling anything short of a Tier X TD will probably be considering using prammo.  The only thing it will leave you wishing for is a slightly higher top speed, but thems the breaks.

dport02 #17 Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 35482 battles
  • [-FE4R]
I rage sold my Pershing, I just hate it so much
RNG is rigged !

V1n2002 #18 Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6352 battles
  • [NAM7]
Ask carrot panda about the M48. He/she loves it

(COD-R) 54.54% Winrate. Low tiers are trash, game is ruined. FML. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users