Oh, RNGesus, why have you forsaken me?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

lsubacker22 #1 Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 23615 battles
  • [_CRY_]

Just a thought,  if you're the superior player in a superior tank, why is it that RNG has a say in the outcome of the battle?  I'll paint the picture; 1 vs 2, me in my maxed out T34 vs a T49 and a T71.  Both of them are 1 shots for me and I still have 1200 hit points.  I back up against a rock so I can't be CODd.  My first shot bounces off the side of the T49 as he hits me for a 400 roll.  He then circles off to reload at which point the T71 made the mistake of showing me his rear.  I process to bounce a well aimed shot off the rear of a T71.  Now I angled up to the T49 again as my tracks eat up his next shot.  I have reloaded at this time and then bounce yet another shot off of the front lower of the T49.  Again, this is a T34 fully equipped.   The T71, tired of his inability to pen me tries for the ram kill; and he is left with 1 up.  My last shot was an HE found to the side of the T71 at point blank range that was a ghost shot....let the players figure out who wins because they're the better player; not some random generated number.

MessengerOfFear #2 Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13934 battles
  • [ACDC]
I feel your pain - bouncing shot when in a tank like T34 is rough. However, if you think about it from another angle, RNGesus helps you in some cases, as well. If you were that T49 or T71, you’d be crazy happy, yeah? My favorite RNGesus memories are of when I was in my FV215b and I bounced an HE shell from a JgPz E100 from point-blank range off my gun manlet with 31 HP left, and it was just him and me. I won because RNGesus saved me there by bouncing that HE shell, rather than letting it blow up in my face. I have Evan gotten steel wall in a Grille 15 before because half of it’s turret is taken up by the gun, which bounces shots more often than people think (its hilarious when I see a vector for like 640 dmg from a TD or even 900+ dmg from an HE shell show up black because it bounced off my gun).
"Ignoring life for 7 minutes is really a true superpower. Thank you, Wargaming."

christian1470 #3 Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 35539 battles
  • [III-H]

View Postlsubacker22, on 07 December 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

Just a thought,  if you're the superior player in a superior tank, why is it that RNG has a say in the outcome of the battle?  I'll paint the picture; 1 vs 2, me in my maxed out T34 vs a T49 and a T71.  Both of them are 1 shots for me and I still have 1200 hit points.  I back up against a rock so I can't be CODd.  My first shot bounces off the side of the T49 as he hits me for a 400 roll.  He then circles off to reload at which point the T71 made the mistake of showing me his rear.  I process to bounce a well aimed shot off the rear of a T71.  Now I angled up to the T49 again as my tracks eat up his next shot.  I have reloaded at this time and then bounce yet another shot off of the front lower of the T49.  Again, this is a T34 fully equipped.   The T71, tired of his inability to pen me tries for the ram kill; and he is left with 1 up.  My last shot was an HE found to the side of the T71 at point blank range that was a ghost shot....let the players figure out who wins because they're the better player; not some random generated number.

rng has been f*cked with. Too many low rolls on kill shots. Too many bounces. Had a similar bounce everything game in the t34 last night. Remember, this is a tank that regularly faced tier tens, yet it bounces a tier 7 light.....dafuq. 

p30_1 #4 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25856 battles
i knew this game felt like a waist of time. 

BobboEvans #5 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 38073 battles

View Postchristian1470, on 07 December 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

rng has been f*cked with. Too many low rolls on kill shots. Too many bounces. Had a similar bounce everything game in the t34 last night. Remember, this is a tank that regularly faced tier tens, yet it bounces a tier 7 light.....dafuq. 

In the rolls.  I don’t know if the RNG has been modified but I’ve noticed a LOT more variability in the damage over the potential range.  I used to have a pretty consistent damage around the average with the occasional high or low roll.  The high and low rolls seem to have become more frequent.  That’s purely anactodal and might be perception (especially now that you can see your damage better) but it ‘feels’ that way.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

Kiser_Sosei #6 Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

Who is Kiser Sosei?!?

• Players
  • 22823 battles
  • [III]

Everybody wants to blame MM when RNG is the devil in the details. 

WG has admitted that they play RNGesus on WOT. So I am pretty sure we don't need a tin foil hat to see they also jack with it on WTOB. 

I too recently had a clear kill shot on the back side of a soft medium and it bounced. Yeah nothing funky going on there. 

Edited by Kiser_Sosei, 07 December 2017 - 05:38 PM.

"MM may not be rigged but RNGesus only answers the prayers of one team."
My WOTB Youtube Channel.

https://www.blitzsta...com/Kiser_Sosei

christian1470 #7 Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 35539 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostBobboEvans, on 07 December 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

In the rolls.  I don’t know if the RNG has been modified but I’ve noticed a LOT more variability in the damage over the potential range.  I used to have a pretty consistent damage around the average with the occasional high or low roll.  The high and low rolls seem to have become more frequent.  That’s purely anactodal and might be perception (especially now that you can see your damage better) but it ‘feels’ that way.

it seems to me that the rolls are tied to armor. 400 avg becomes 380 against heavies and 420 against lights. At least, that's the way it appears. 

RommelTanker #8 Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 338 battles
  • [FLPN]

Eh all I can say is that you just got really really unlucky. Both shots likely damaged their tracks am I right?

Best counter to firing an accidental track shot is to try to aim center of mass of the target. WG has explained multiple times in the past that the RNG for shell dispersion is biased towards causing shells to stray toward your center reticule. I can testify that's how it works as dozens of shots from an autocannon will still stray closer to the reticule  rather than flying wildly into Narnia.

I would also suggest that HE would be an effective alternative to countering track shots as even if you get the most AIDS RNG in the world, the shell will still almost always do some damage and even immobilize the target, making it easier to kill them faster.

I'm a filthy reroll. Fight me.

"Erwin Rommel was a German general and military theorist. Popularly known as the 'Desert Fox', he served as Field Marshal in the Wehrmacht of 3rd Reich Germany during World War 2." No, I don't support the ideology of the 3rd Reich. But I believe that there were respectable men in the 3rd Reich. Rommel was one of them.

BobboEvans #9 Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 38073 battles

View Postchristian1470, on 07 December 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

it seems to me that the rolls are tied to armor. 400 avg becomes 380 against heavies and 420 against lights. At least, that's the way it appears. 

Now that you say that, I have noticed a little of this effect.  Again, just anactodal.  Meh... it is what it is.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

Ericmopar #10 Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2890 battles

This must all be related to my thread about noticing that tanks like french lights suddenly don't seem to need to fear a KV-1 anymore.

All my heavies guns are bouncing way too many shots off lights and mediums. Add in the fact they have a low rate of fire already, and they are sitting in the garage now unplayed for a couple of days.

I got curious and fired up my Soviet T34s  recently and they are fine, bouncing shots like crazy (to good) off their armor and the guns are penning and rolling high when fired against heavies. I usually do terrible in the T-34 and T34-85.

It did make it fun to take on a red KV-1 and easily bounce it's shots while penning it time and again in my Panzer V/IV.

It's all my heavies, which makes me wonder if it was a core game program change.

P.S. I've noticed in the post game info, that many shells rated at something like 120 - 200 alpha are rolling as low as 80. I thought based on the listed specs that should be impossible.

IE shouldn't the minimum roll for a shell listed as 120 - 200 be 120 if it pens the armor?

I noticed this on tanks where I only penned a single shot and no kill was involved.

P.S. Over in the PC forums, they're having similar issues, but their theory is that the AP shells are behaving like HE.

Edited by Ericmopar, 07 December 2017 - 11:25 PM.

Old and Treacherous Flying Monkey

Tomio_Hara #11 Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:08 PM

Monteagle madness

• Players
  • 20307 battles
  • [XWING]

Play a Soviet tank. Problem solved, comrade!

:trollface:

Tomio Hara was the chief of Japanese tank development during the pre war period and WWII

Want to cap base? Read this!

Ookla_the_Mok #12 Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:51 AM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 22853 battles
  • [BRSKT]
I'll have to pay more attention to the low rolls. Normally I'd be inclined to dismiss speculation of a glitch, but the bounces are unreal. High pen tanks (Clown Car, T30, etc) are bouncing off Sp1C broadside or the rear of Leos. 

Ericmopar #13 Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:06 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2890 battles
Which tank is the "Clown Car" ?

Gojira5475 #14 Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22496 battles

Geee...you THINK something might be wrong with this blasted game? Hn? REALLY???? :angry: 

I dunno try playing eight up and praying your gun works at least 25% of the time,and TRY not to lose your mind-I have half a mind to record a few runs with an eight and you can see what I'm going through.

The game is ganked from eight up so you'll lose more often then not simple as that,how they're doing it either rng or something I dunno but I can tell you I ain't lying when I say a run at those stages is mind numbingly awful.

Oh and as somebody pointed out the new thing is having a tank at say 150 and you've a gun that can do 310 damage,so you shoot them...for 149 damage ha-ha WG fookin' hilarious you bucnha jokers,my sides hurt from laughing!!!  

Gojira5475 #15 Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:10 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22496 battles

View PostEricmopar, on 07 December 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Which tank is the "Clown Car" ?

American T34 with the 4th paint job.

Ericmopar #16 Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2890 battles

View PostGojira5475, on 07 December 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

American T34 with the 4th paint job.

OH :D

Edited by Ericmopar, 08 December 2017 - 02:16 AM.

christian1470 #17 Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 35539 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostGojira5475, on 07 December 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

Geee...you THINK something might be wrong with this blasted game? Hn? REALLY???? :angry: 

I dunno try playing eight up and praying your gun works at least 25% of the time,and TRY not to lose your mind-I have half a mind to record a few runs with an eight and you can see what I'm going through.

The game is ganked from eight up so you'll lose more often then not simple as that,how they're doing it either rng or something I dunno but I can tell you I ain't lying when I say a run at those stages is mind numbingly awful.

Oh and as somebody pointed out the new thing is having a tank at say 150 and you've a gun that can do 310 damage,so you shoot them...for 149 damage ha-ha WG fookin' hilarious you bucnha jokers,my sides hurt from laughing!!!  

dude has a point....for once. 

Fu_Manchu_ #18 Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1729 battles
  • [KILCO]

You guys are putting too much stock into the occasional streaks that come along with randomness. I've been solely driving my M4 for the last few days trying to get its WR above 60%. Partly as a result of that, I had an ironclad mission sitting uncompleted for the last few days because I couldn't bounce shots for the life of me.

Then this morning my sacrifices on the alter of RNGesus were rewarded when I bounced 3 shots from a T1 in a 1v1 battle.

Ericmopar #19 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2890 battles

View PostFu_Manchu_, on 08 December 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

You guys are putting too much stock into the occasional streaks that come along with randomness. I've been solely driving my M4 for the last few days trying to get its WR above 60%. Partly as a result of that, I had an ironclad mission sitting uncompleted for the last few days because I couldn't bounce shots for the life of me.

Then this morning my sacrifices on the alter of RNGesus were rewarded when I bounced 3 shots from a T1 in a 1v1 battle.

It wan't RNGebus.

That's exactly what we are talking about, at least in part, that the Heavies have somehow been crippled by the last update, and are now having their shots bounced by lights and mediums. Sometimes more than 50% of well aimed shots will bounce and/or roll really low even when they pen.

Tanks that I used to do high hundreds to over 1K damage per battle since last summer, I'm now lucky to do 4 or 5hundred in damage.

Fu_Manchu_ #20 Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:14 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1729 battles
  • [KILCO]

View PostEricmopar, on 08 December 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

It wan't RNGebus.

That's exactly what we are talking about, at least in part, that the Heavies have somehow been crippled by the last update, and are now having their shots bounced by lights and mediums. Sometimes more than 50% of well aimed shots will bounce and/or roll really low even when they pen.

Tanks that I used to do high hundreds to over 1K damage per battle since last summer, I'm now lucky to do 4 or 5hundred in damage.

Well, I'm not going to make assumptions about your experience but my experience was definitely RNGesus. Like I said, I couldn't bounce a shot to save my life for the last few days and that mission just kept smirking at me. Then today the gods smiled at me and I bounced a whole bunch.

I have not notice any more issue with bounces in my KV1 since the last update.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users