D.A.R.E. to Say No to the Cap Circle

capping

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Capping (51 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Should capping be removed?

1. No (45 votes [88.24%])

Percentage of vote: 88.24%

2. Yes (6 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

Vote Hide poll

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #1 Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15010 battles
  • [HATED]

This week I've had two players who adamantly insisted on staying in the cap circle when the situation was such that if they pushed, the game would have undoubtedly been won. One had a 40% win rate. The other was 54%. If this continues, I'd really like to see the cap circle simply being removed. It doesn't contribute to any meta, doesn't make the game more exciting, and for those historical accuracy enthusiasts, no battle was won by a tank sitting in an arbitrary circle for a couple minutes. Furthermore, it is an absolute noob-magnet. New players might see capping as an easier alternative to facing those enemy tanks that keep blowing them up.

The only setting in which the cap circle is of any use is when highly coordinated teams, such as those in the Twister cup, set up in a way that attempts to win by capping. However, I believe this is highly detrimental to the success of Blitz as an esport because such games are boring to watch, at least in my opinion—one team caps for a minute, then the other team just rushes the cap. These games are far less interesting than, for example, the recent Bo5 between -TK and PRAMO on Bushka's channel; throughout the series both sides employed precisely coordinated and unique strategies, and the battle was constantly fluid and dynamic. 

What do you think—should capping be removed? Respond in the poll above. 

Sleeepy_Joe #2 Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12195 battles
  • [LMFA0]
If they removed them from supremacy I might even play it.

cheasesteak #3 Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

• Players
  • 22505 battles
  • [COD-R]
Despite cap happy noobs, cap circles remain essential to the game, especially at the end of a match.  They are very useful end game to pressure reds out of their camping spots, and to keep fast tanks from simply running from heavies. 

Epstein didn’t kill himself

_Crusader6_ #4 Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 66907 battles
  • [DEF]

View Postcheasesteak, on 13 December 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

Despite cap happy noobs, cap circles remain essential to the game, especially at the end of a match.  They are very useful end game to pressure reds out of their camping spots, and to keep fast tanks from simply running from heavies. 

What he said

Tank Hoarder: 404 tanks in Garage:  420/420 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

BOOMROCKA #5 Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17826 battles
  • [BNGER]

Capping is one of the dynamics of the game. I think you'd see a whole lot of games ending in draw if capping were to be removed from the game.

I've been in games before where there's been just one light or medium tank on one team and a slow TD or heavy on the other team. The Heavy naturally goes to the cap circle to flush out the speedy tank. Otherwise, the speedy tank could just drive around in circles and run out the clock, while the slow tank is stuck with no other option but to slowly putter around the map hoping to find the other tank.

I'm sure there are other scenarios out there, that would explain the necessity for having the cap circle in the game.

BOOMROCKA #6 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17826 battles
  • [BNGER]

On the other side of things, you do have rookies with mashed potatoes between their ears who think capping is the only way to win the game, or just have no common sense. I can't count the number of times where our last remaining tanker in the game (who is absolutely unspotted) starts rolling over to the cap circle. They continue to do this despite the screams of their team "NOOOO, YOU IDIOT! DON'T CAP!!!"

Ridiculously frustrating, but no reason to remove capping from the game. This move wouldn't solve poor judgment.

AntoineDodson #7 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30031 battles

View Postcheasesteak, on 13 December 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

Well thought out response. YES
Hide your kids, hide your wife
And hide your husband
Cuz they’re derpin errbody out here

chicagoK #8 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 83384 battles
  • [RNG]
The problem there is the stupid players, not the cap circle itself.  

AntoineDodson #9 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30031 battles
There would be too many draws without it. And I HATE draws. I'd honestly rather lose than draw.
And hide your husband

cheasesteak #10 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:04 PM

• Players
  • 22505 battles
  • [COD-R]

View PostBOOMROCKA, on 13 December 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

I'm sure there are other scenarios out there, that would explain the necessity for having the cap circle in the game.

The other big one I see is TDs.  A lot of times on Dead Rail, the last red will be some full health TD with a honking big gun that has been corner sniping the whole game.  Greens can use cap to force him out of his camp site and kill him as he tries to come and reset.

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #11 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15010 battles
  • [HATED]

View Postcheasesteak, on 13 December 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

Here's the thing. If, as the sole remaining member of my team, someone tries to force me into a confrontation via capping, I'm glad to do so. I know exactly where they are, and judging by the speed of the counter's ascent I'm able to determine how many reds are in the cap circle. From there, it's an easy thing to do to take advantage of my superior camo and poke them from a distance. The thing I'm trying to say is that capping to force a confrontation causes the winning team to give away their position quite clearly.

There are several solutions for draws. One easy fix is to give the win to the team with the most members still alive. It's historically accurate and easy to implement.

cheasesteak #12 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

• Players
  • 22505 battles
  • [COD-R]

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 13 December 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

Here's the thing. If, as the sole remaining member of my team, someone tries to force me into a confrontation via capping, I'm glad to do so. I know exactly where they are, and judging by the speed of the counter's ascent I'm able to determine how many reds are in the cap circle. From there, it's an easy thing to do to take advantage of my superior camo and poke them from a distance. The thing I'm trying to say is that capping to force a confrontation causes the winning team to give away their position quite clearly.

There are several solutions for draws. One easy fix is to give the win to the team with the most members still alive. It's historically accurate and easy to implement.

What if same number left alive?  Then we need some other criteria.  Can't be HP remaining, because then a fast tank that has a couple more HP will run and hide.  Capping at least gives the heavy or heavies a chance to force a favorable outcome. 

​Simply because morons go cap early is no reason to do away with it.  Those same players would most likely do something else equally stupid anyway. 

AntoineDodson #13 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30031 battles

I can understand the new players capping in the low tiers. They see the circle, see the "capture the base" button, they just gots to get it.

HOWEVER, I'm floored at some of the players in higher tiers that go straight to it. Drives me bonkers. I don't see how they haven't learned after a few thousand battles.

And hide your husband

Ruby_Rose_ #14 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

I don't need help growing up! I Drink Milk!

• Players
  • 14179 battles
  • [SCAMO]

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 13 December 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

I see the word Historically Accurate
Your suggestion is null and void

Made by Panbun

"Efficiency is Just Clever Laziness" 

Want a RWBY signature? Here

__The_Dude_30__ #15 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

acrisis’s assistant

• Players
  • 24982 battles
  • [CRUEL]
Cap should not be removed. Lets say you are playing the KV-3, and you are the only one left on the team. There is one red left, and SP 1 C, and he is a one shot. You must use the cap to bait out the SP, or it will just be a draw, because there is know way you can catch him. Cap is still very important to the game, as it also provides a kind of "base" to fight over. I feel that new players should be properly educated on when it is appropriate to use the cap. Not necessarily as the main plan to win the battle, but more of a back up plan if nothing else works.

Signature by SpartacusDiablo   The king of signatures                                                                                                                       CRU2L Deputy. CRUEL/CRU2L discord: https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

o7 RatchetGod, R.I.P.

jonj02 #16 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1171 battles

View Postcheasesteak, on 13 December 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

this^^^^, i have been reading this guys posts....and a lot of them make sense

idiot noobs are gonna run there....yes...and you can chat to not do it...but they will do it anyway...cause they are stubborn and dumb.

i think we introduce team damage so you can shoot the noob running for the cap straight from spawn.

Yes, add team damage

Edited by jonj02, 13 December 2017 - 04:18 PM.

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #17 Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15010 battles
  • [HATED]
I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear those overenthusiastic cappers.

fedsnbr #18 Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 58707 battles
  • [STRYK]
If people don’t know what they are doing, removing the cap will only make them camp somewhere else.

sk8xtrm3 #19 Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 288 battles

Can I ask what tier this was at?

I only ask as I see loads of players at low tiers herding to the cap circle but on at higher tiers people avoid it like the plaque in the most part.

I think the cap circle needs to stay as it provides a good tactical advantage, I like to use it to make people panic especially at higher tiers. If I am in a game with lots of big TD's that are going to cap I love to hit the cap circle and watch them sweat and leave the camp spot to try reset cap. I have no intention of capping but its a very good magnet to pull people from there strong positions.

p.s in the interest of honesty this has resulted in me capping once or twice doing very low damage :hiding::teethhappy:

Edited by sk8xtrm3, 13 December 2017 - 05:27 PM.

Triode757 #20 Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17368 battles
  • [XWING]

Not only is cap useful for flushing campers/running light tanks, it's a useable early game strategy on maps like Fort Despair in an American heavy (or anything with a good turret and some gun depression.)

But if you go cap solo in a heavy on Goldville when literally every other tank is at caves...

Also tagged with capping

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users