Low Tier Tank Destroyers

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

UTA_Tank_Commander #1 Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2150 battles
  • [UTA1]

Okay my experience with low tier TDs has always been pretty bad. Other than Hetzer they seem to be meh to horrific. Now I’m probably not driving them right all the time but it seems like they’ve gotten worse from when I used them on my second account to now. I don’t know if it’s them or all the newbies or a little of both. It just seems like low tier TDs are made to lose. But what do you guys think? Are they bad? Is it all the newbies and such? Could it be a mixture of both those things? What makes low tier TDs so hard to get wins out of?

BobboEvans #2 Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 38579 battles
2nd account... is this your 3rd?  How many do you have!????

Anyway, I recently was in low tiers for aces and the TDS are difficult but many are pretty OP.  It’s a much different play style and you really need to think about which gun to use.  I see too many people using derp guns as long distance snipers for the whole game.  That’s a fail in my book.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

UTA_Tank_Commander #3 Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:37 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2150 battles
  • [UTA1]

View PostBobboEvans, on 15 December 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

2nd account... is this your 3rd? How many do you have!????

Anyway, I recently was in low tiers for aces and the TDS are difficult but many are pretty OP. It’s a much different play style and you really need to think about which gun to use. I see too many people using derp guns as long distance snipers for the whole game. That’s a fail in my book.

I don’t use derp guns. Also currently working on the Russian TDs. AT-1 took 20 games just to get 50/50. Part of it was my fault I think for moving into bad positions. But I felt like I had to or I’d just sit there being useless like the rest of my teammates. SU-76 is proving difficult so far. Just barely got the engines. Normally I’d go for guns first but the thing is so slow stock. Oh and I had my 2 old accounts deleted. Made this one as I was having issue with perceived completion date for the LightningSword2 one. This is my last account though. If I ever have this one deleted then that means I’m done with this game for good. 

Posit1ve_ #4 Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:11 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 33662 battles
  • [IRD]

As far as low tier TDs go, there's really 2 types

1. Paper TDs

2. Assault gun TDs

with 2 types of guns

1. Derp guns

2. Small derp guns

Low tier TDs used to be quite good, but that was a long time ago. Tanks like the tier III T82 were complete monsters that could fly around the battlefield, and frontally pen tier IVs with HE to one shot them.

Those days are definitely gone due to HP buffs and HE pen nerfs, and prammo nerfs. The tanks with actual derp guns (T82, T40, T17, Alecto, Hetzer) have been hit pretty bad by the meta changes. Furthermore most of the low tier TDs (Brits, French, T82, Pz J1, Marder II) have paper armor vulnerable to autocannons. Also not good when fighting players with autocannon armed lights and a passion for YOLO. 

This isn't to say that they aren't effective, and many can still be quite good; however, it will be a tad more difficult to carry in, since mistakes will be much more costly, and low tier TDs cannot simply shoot their way out of bad situations like they used to. You'll have to play a careful support role now, especially since many same tier light tanks will have the same, if not better firepower, with a turret and a lot more mobility. 

For a lot of low tier TDs, their strengths really lie in the penetration. allowing them to deal with heavily armored targets that other tanks will struggle against. Try to kill things like AMX 38's and matildas first for your team. And stay away from autocannons. 

275 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1 

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

tweek_1 #5 Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:31 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9414 battles
  • [LMFA0]
The bathtub at tier 5 is pretty awesome, so much so it's addicting.

Rockracer #6 Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8180 battles
  • [POARS]

SU-76 is terrible when solo, needs a toon (preferably not another TD) that will cover it on the fight.

Keep grinding though, because the SU-85b is pretty much the most broken OP TD in the game. Like a flatpanzer, but with higher alpha/pen tier to tier.

I played TDs before it was cool. It was also never cool to begin with.

NoobieDude #7 Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:58 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1079 battles
  • [CYRUS]

View PostUTA_Tank_Commander, on 15 December 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Okay my experience with low tier TDs has always been pretty bad. Other than Hetzer they seem to be meh to horrific. Now I’m probably not driving them right all the time but it seems like they’ve gotten worse from when I used them on my second account to now. I don’t know if it’s them or all the newbies or a little of both. It just seems like low tier TDs are made to lose. But what do you guys think? Are they bad? Is it all the newbies and such? Could it be a mixture of both those things? What makes low tier TDs so hard to get wins out of?

low tier???? how bout tier 1/2/3

cheesehead247365 #8 Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:09 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6276 battles
  • [122MM]
Stug

UTA_Tank_Commander #9 Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:47 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2150 battles
  • [UTA1]

View Posttweek_1, on 15 December 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

The bathtub at tier 5 is pretty awesome, so much so it's addicting.

Thought that was tier V. So that’s midtier. Low tier means I-IV. So that doesn’t count. It’s midtier.

UTA_Tank_Commander #10 Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:48 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2150 battles
  • [UTA1]

View Postcheesehead247365, on 15 December 2017 - 11:09 PM, said:

Stug

Also midtier.

UTA_Tank_Commander #11 Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:50 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2150 battles
  • [UTA1]

View PostRockracer, on 15 December 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

SU-76 is terrible when solo, needs a toon (preferably not another TD) that will cover it on the fight.

Keep grinding though, because the SU-85b is pretty much the most broken OP TD in the game. Like a flatpanzer, but with higher alpha/pen tier to tier.

I don’t know. The top gun is good but the armor and all still sucks. Plus it has pretty much 0 gun depression because the design. 

UTA_Tank_Commander #12 Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:53 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2150 battles
  • [UTA1]

View PostNoobieDude, on 15 December 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

low tier???? how bout tier 1/2/3

I meant tiers II-IV for TDs. Tier I is all lights except the British one. Still tier II-IV TDs suck. The Hetzer is good to me if you are using the 75mm and know how to use it. The derp gun obviously doesn’t do well anymore. Alecto is horrible no matter what you use so I’m skipping it. Skipped UC and Valentine AT too. They are the worst of the worst. I hate the tier II-IV British TDs.

Rockracer #13 Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8180 battles
  • [POARS]

View PostUTA_Tank_Commander, on 15 December 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

I don’t know. The top gun is good but the armor and all still sucks. Plus it has pretty much 0 gun depression because the design. 

That's what makes it so underrated IMO, but learning how to deal with that is what lets it shine.

It's as fast (if not faster) as any medium in tier 4, you just need to do what it takes to get that gun pointed at the right place.

Carry at least 15 HE shells, the absurd pen helps, hunting mediums (seal clubbers) is what it does best. Stay close to the frontline, and burn down the red team faster than the reds burn the greens. It can brawl too, don't forget that.

AP for extremely well armored targets, HE for anything else. You'll only need APCR if you failtoon and find tier 6 tanks.

It's basically 300 damage every 8 seconds in tier 4, the tank can't carry that much, but you won't need to.

I played TDs before it was cool. It was also never cool to begin with.

UTA_Tank_Commander #14 Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:22 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2150 battles
  • [UTA1]

View PostRockracer, on 16 December 2017 - 02:05 AM, said:

That's what makes it so underrated IMO, but learning how to deal with that is what lets it shine.

It's as fast (if not faster) as any medium in tier 4, you just need to do what it takes to get that gun pointed at the right place.

Carry at least 15 HE shells, the absurd pen helps, hunting mediums (seal clubbers) is what it does best. Stay close to the frontline, and burn down the red team faster than the reds burn the greens. It can brawl too, don't forget that.

AP for extremely well armored targets, HE for anything else. You'll only need APCR if you failtoon and find tier 6 tanks.

It's basically 300 damage every 8 seconds in tier 4, the tank can't carry that much, but you won't need to.

You know what? Those good guns are too expensive and as I said the rest sucks. No armor, not the best camo rating, not good gun depression or elevation. This thing literally is crap. Needs buffing. At least to camo rating if nothing else. Also the 85mm guns need to be cheaper on XP cost. The grind is way too painful. 3 wins to 9 losses in it so far. I HATE SU-76 and SU-85B. Horrible TDs. Among the worst TDs in the game. I’m done. I’ll let someone else play such vehicles for me.

NinjaBlox137 #15 Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:09 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1335 battles
  • [MEG4]

The M8A1, Hetzer, SU-76, SU-85B, UC 2-pdr, and T-18 were pretty good for me. Maybe it’s the way you’re playing them?

M8A1 should be played like a light tank with a huge gun.

Hetzer is nearly impenetrable from the front at its tier.

SU-76 and SU-85B need to be played like actual snipers. They have decent camo, especially when paired with the net, and the 85B can one-shot many tier IIIs with HE (Note: SU-85 is not much better. Sure, it’s got sloped armor, but everyone can pen you at that tier).

UC 2-pdr should be played like the PC version’s E-25. Rapid fire doom cannon with paper gun shield.

And the T-18 is, like the Hetzer, impenetrable from the front at its tier. Go up the middle and laugh as the lights bounce hundreds of shots off your hull.

Edited by NinjaBlox137, 19 December 2017 - 05:18 AM.

ngieuh

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users