My advice for new players

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

outersketcher #1 Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12203 battles
  • [COD-R]

I sent some advice to a friend of mine who is fairly new at this game. 

And I thought it might be of some use to other new players too.

Disclaimer. I am not a unicum. But, I'm a solid, decent player. 

The following are some things I think are important to become a good player.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion. The answer to "what tank should I go for next" is... Try ALL the different types at first.. in the lower tiers (I-III). Then, based on witch ones you find yourself enjoying the most. Choose the line in the tech tree that has the tanks you enjoy the most, and follow it all the way up to tier 8. Stop their. And go pick another line.. and follow that one up. 

Try to play 100 battles in each tank before moving up. 

Try to get it to 50% before moving up. If you can't get the tank to 50%.. you are usually not ready for the next one in the line. (This is not always true.. sometimes a certain vehicle is really tough.. and then the next one is a knockout, fantastic tank. But it holds true in most cases.)

DON'T keep stubbornly playing if you are having a losing streak. Trust me. Those of us with thousands of battles under our belts have all learned. It does something to your mind.. and you just keep spiraling down into loserland. Instead. Just set the game aside and go do something ELSE for a while. Odds will favor you returning to a win streak when you come back.

You can switch your GOLD pramo to use credits instead. Just click on the gold emblem on the right when you are setting up your ammo and it flips over. Pretty darn evil of WOT not telling anyone that. 

Learn what "side-scraping" is and how to do it. (It's easy to do. And will help you bounce rounds right off your armor.

Learn to "angle" your tank to present a thicker armor profile. Similar to side-scraping. But this is something you should almost always do. ESPECIALLY when caught out in the open, or when brawling. In a face to face brawl, a noob will charge full face front on to his enemy. But a GOOD driver pivots his tank so that he presents one of his front corners to his enemy. Thereby angling his armor profile. A quick way to do this is to simply place one of your front drive wheels under wherever your gun is pointed. There.. you are angled.

Learn what going hull down is and how to do it right. (Lots and LOTS of videos and tutorials on this.) 

Go to settings/controls, and turn ON your lookout area slider. This will give you an area on your screen that allows you to use your thumb to slide back and forth and look around WITHOUT turning your turret. The lookout slider is an INVALUABLE tool.  I also use the lookout slider to look around building corners without having to poke my tanks nose out. You'll see what I mean. 

Never, ever.. and I mean NEVER... crest a hill or a sand dune. It's the BEST way to shout to all the reds.. "HERE I AM! SHOOT ME PLEASE!"

Instead, hug the bases of hills and canyons. Keep your hull protected. Stay in the low spots. The ONLY time you would crest a hill.. is if you are trying to spot the reds. And you would only do it quickly and duck back down as fast as you can. 

Learn about "hard cover" and "soft cover"... the difference between them. And how to properly use them. 

Learn what "resetting your camo" means, and how to do it properly. Once that little light bulb goes off. You've already been visible to EVERYONE everywhere for three seconds. And it takes 9-10 seconds of you hiding behind hard cover before you disappear from the mini map again. That's called "resetting your camo" Also, remember.. the good players aren't stupid.. they know you are still behind that rock. Unless.. you aren't. Once your camo resets.. if you can run to another spot. DO IT!. 

Learn to use your mini-map. Failure to learn to use your mini map will cripple your ability to do well in battle. Tank drivers use the mini-map to determine where their team mates are.. and where the enemy tanks are. A TACTICIAN uses the mini-map to determine where the rest of the red team that hasn't been lit up yet might be. Example.. "hhhmm.. lessee.. there are three red lights and two red meds lit up on that hill. My team have them surrounded.. so the two heavies must be in the town.. waiting to ambush us."

See what I mean?

Don't focus exclusively on one target. It's called "tunneling" and is a bad Idea. Good players will seize on opportunity to suddenly swivel his turret and take out a low health enemy red who just poked his nose out of a bit of hard cover. You can't take advantage of those opportunities if you are tunneled on one target.

Don't drive around while in sniper mode. Bad idea.. just.. don't..

Don't waste your shots. Every shot counts toward your Hit Rate. Make each shot count. Make each shot cause DAMAGE.

Learn how to "ammorack" enemy tanks. (Usually done by shooting into the rear half of the turret. But not all tanks can be ammo-racked that way.) If you pull off an "ammorack". You will destroy the whole tank with one shot because you hit their ammo stowage and it all goes up in a wonderful BOOM. Then you get the guy yelling at you in the in-battle chat, accusing you of "hacking" the game. 

-Grins-

Learn how to "Track" an enemy tank. And even better.. "Perma-track" them. You do this by shooting at an enemies drive wheels. Front or back. Doesn't matter. But it's fun to do. (If you track them while they are in full motion. It stops them cold and spins them around. Cool to see. And darn humiliating for the guy you just tracked. It's like getting pantsed at a party.) Also, if you track an enemy, and a team mate gets damage into him. You get partial credit for that damage. 

Learn how to shoot and destroy enemy tanks while in "third person", or "arcade mode". (watching from outside your tank) This is an essential skill for COD kills. (Circle of Death)

Learn how to lock your turret onto an enemy tank and fire while driving. You do this by going into sniper mode, and sighting onto an enemy tank until the little picture frame corner lines in your reticle light up green. That means you are locked on. Now you can drive around all you want.. your turret will traverse to stay locked on your target until you lose sight of him. Then it disengages. Good drivers do this to allow themselves to drive forward, while shooting back at a pursueing enemy tank. You MUST have the lookout slider enabled to be able to do this tho.

Last of all.. and in my opinion.. the most important. The best players are AGGRESSIVE. Yet they are also careful. If you watch any youtube videos of the good players. You will notice they move forward from cover to cover. And they choose to fire from behind soft cover whenever possible. The good players only brawl out in the open when it's a last resort.

Looking into the eyes of an infant is like staring into the heart of a star... Pure. And blazing.

Also.. it's never a pleasant experience to bite into a SlimJim, and discover a toenail. 

huhh.. there's another one.. 

tanker070 #2 Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

The Nitwit

• Players
  • 46866 battles
  • [SRT-A]

even for an older player this work as a reminder!!

I would say to the older players keep patience as generally mm will be filled with those who just skip the general info and hit that battle button in high tiers

ahredstealth said: "while money can't buy happiness, it can rent it."

KeenGear #3 Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:06 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15495 battles
....and don’t blame your team for not providing support when you die first.

Theartythief #4 Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

saber best girl

• Players
  • 13958 battles
  • [CURSD]
"Tanks" for the advice 

___ez_e___ #5 Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 58148 battles
  • [GORT]

Understand how rng can and will impact your tank.   That means you understand that in some battles your perfectly operating tank with perfectly aimed weak spot shot will bounce and in some cases will continue to bounce.   

This means you NEED to understand how to minimize the effects of negative rng by minimizing exposure and saving hp while continuing the effort to pen enemy tanks, even though your shots continue to bounce.    

This is important since I’ve experienced the event where the enemy is a one shot kill and you have full health.  You get over confident and brawl, but then negative rng kicks in.  Everyone of your shots bounces or fails to do adequate damage even when you switch ammo.   When this happens you almost can’t believe it, but believe me it happens. 

Also, I want to reiterate how important it is to reset camo.  Get in the habit of resetting it.   

Edited by ___ez_e___, 21 December 2017 - 08:59 PM.

DerpytrollerZ #6 Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8498 battles
  • [CYCLN]
You're missing a point. Never spend money... Ever..

F*** WG am i right?

Artaax #7 Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 3933 battles
  • [MOM2]

I followed the 100 battles and 50% WR rule. I’ve increased my WR from 46.90% to 49.23%. The one thing I have yet to master is reading maps to be a tactician.  I’ve only found one Youtube video discussing how to read mini map and that was a Bushka vid.

The video is good help. I think I just need experience now with it now. Thank you, good sir for all this helpful advice!

~Artaax

NoobieDude #8 Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:41 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3014 battles
  • [CYRUS]

i follow the 50% rule and elite the tank im driving...but a 100 games??? no i cant do that...now if it takes 100 games to do the latter... so be it...

i also try to have my tanks at there HP pool in avg. damage...

Edited by NoobieDude, 29 December 2017 - 06:43 PM.

outersketcher #9 Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12203 battles
  • [COD-R]

View PostNoobieDude, on 29 December 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

i follow the 50% rule and elite the tank im driving...but a 100 games??? no i cant do that...now if it takes 100 games to do the latter... so be it...

yah.. perhaps it would be better to say..  "Do 100 battles in the tanks you really like and want to do well in."

Looking into the eyes of an infant is like staring into the heart of a star... Pure. And blazing.

Also.. it's never a pleasant experience to bite into a SlimJim, and discover a toenail. 

huhh.. there's another one.. 

NoobieDude #10 Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:37 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3014 battles
  • [CYRUS]

View Postoutersketcher, on 29 December 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

yah.. perhaps it would be better to say..  "Do 100 battles in the tanks you really like and want to do well in."

like prems...i really like my PZ 35 (s)..

Gavidoc01 #11 Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

I Golded Level III

• Players
  • 34084 battles
  • [III]

View PostNoobieDude, on 29 December 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

I will drive every tank to 100 battles as it is a personal goal of mine to have driven every tank in the game for at least 100 battles. I want to jab my eyeballs out in the lower tiers but oh well.

If you choose not to drive it for 100 battles, don't move on to the next tank once you hit 50% WR. You should be able to maintain that 50% WR for around 10 battles before moving on to the next tank. In most cases, as you move higher up in tiers, your WR will drop. If you're 50% in a tank at Teir IV and stop at 50% it will be harder for you to hit 50% at Tier V. 

Edited by Gavidoc01, 02 January 2018 - 07:31 PM.

My Blitzstars

My WOTBStars

I'm a Wallet Warrior. Deal with it.

celestron2 #12 Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 29397 battles

I agree with every point in the original thread. 

The game should emulate certain aspects of real strategy. The recommendation was to be aggressive.  Every now and then a camping team may win, but only when the opponent team is worse,

i suggest (in general) avoid using gold ammo. You become a much more disciplined marksman by typically using AP and occasionally,  judiciously using HE. This practice also forces you to learn opponent’s armor weaknesses

last bit: it’s no sin to do a 4/3 split if your team is mobile.  If half your team finds a large body of red team, the rest of your team needs to go to the action ASAP.  The situation can evolve quickly. Try and get into the action in such a way to pincer the enemy if possible.  Regardless, get to the action.

Edited by celestron2, 14 January 2018 - 01:11 AM.

NoobieDude #13 Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3014 battles
  • [CYRUS]

View PostGavidoc01, on 02 January 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

I will drive every tank to 100 battles as it is a personal goal of mine to have driven every tank in the game for at least 100 battles. I want to jab my eyeballs out in the lower tiers but oh well.

If you choose not to drive it for 100 battles, don't move on to the next tank once you hit 50% WR. You should be able to maintain that 50% WR for around 10 battles before moving on to the next tank. In most cases, as you move higher up in tiers, your WR will drop. If you're 50% in a tank at Teir IV and stop at 50% it will be harder for you to hit 50% at Tier V. 

Yes...and... No... Re-read my above post...I don't drive my tanks just to 5 games... usually it's 20 or more...(mostly more) if after 25/30 games I've elite the tank and have at least a 50% or more WR...and the tanks avg.HP or more in damage..I go up to the next tank tier...

I have two tier 3 tanks with over my usual game play...there in the 40%er category...still driving them till I meet my set goals...ive watched at least 100 hrs of vids and how to stuff...still having troubles with these tanks...but I will not leave them to my devise...lol.. stubborn I guess..

Edited by NoobieDude, 14 January 2018 - 04:23 PM.

Fu_Manchu_ #14 Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10167 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostNoobieDude, on 29 December 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

You're still at low tiers though and it is okay there. Definitely for tier 5, I would say that you shouldn't move up before 100 games.

My general rule is 100+ games and 60% for tier 5 and 200+ games and 60% for tier 6. I only have one tier 7 (IS) and my goal is to get back to 60% (I was there briefly at around 20-30 games but fell almost to 50) by game 300. I will not move on to the IS 3 until I get back to 60% in the IS, no matter how many battles it takes me.

CLEAR/CLE4R family discord: https://discord.gg/Pq44sNt

My second (formerly phone-only, now shameless re-roll) account is HanYolo_.

Find me on discord: Fu_Manchu_#6222

shadynastys #15 Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:21 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 16695 battles
  • [KIND]
I softened my criteria at tier 7.  It's a night and day difference between 6 and 7 in terms of difficulty maintaining over 60%.  I like driving tanks that are difficult to drive successfully (see Emil) so a number of my 7's are low to mid 50's but I'm still more than likely to be the top 2 in dmg.  Damage ratio becomes a more reliable indicator of performance in higher tiers than win rate IMO.

NoobieDude #16 Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3014 battles
  • [CYRUS]

View PostFu_Manchu_, on 17 January 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

You're still at low tiers though and it is okay there. Definitely for tier 5, I would say that you shouldn't move up before 100 games.

My general rule is 100+ games and 60% for tier 5 and 200+ games and 60% for tier 6. I only have one tier 7 (IS) and my goal is to get back to 60% (I was there briefly at around 20-30 games but fell almost to 50) by game 300. I will not move on to the IS 3 until I get back to 60% in the IS, no matter how many battles it takes me.

Yes....once I reach tier 5.. I will up my ante in those tanks...I personally think tier 5 and up are where the really cool tanks are at...and also the skill level I hope...

Fu_Manchu_ #17 Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10167 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View Postshadynastys, on 17 January 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

I softened my criteria at tier 7.  It's a night and day difference between 6 and 7 in terms of difficulty maintaining over 60%.  I like driving tanks that are difficult to drive successfully (see Emil) so a number of my 7's are low to mid 50's but I'm still more than likely to be the top 2 in dmg.  Damage ratio becomes a more reliable indicator of performance in higher tiers than win rate IMO.

Like I said I only have one tier 7. It may prove darn near impossible to get my IS back to 60%. It's just my goal for now and I will readjust as needed. Honestly, it will take a near 70% winrate for my next 65 battles to get there, so it likely will not happen. Although I got my KV-1S back to 60% by going 17-1 in battles 181-199. Hit my goal one battle early.

Edited by Fu_Manchu_, 17 January 2018 - 06:26 PM.

CLEAR/CLE4R family discord: https://discord.gg/Pq44sNt

My second (formerly phone-only, now shameless re-roll) account is HanYolo_.

Find me on discord: Fu_Manchu_#6222

NoobieDude #18 Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3014 battles
  • [CYRUS]
GG... FU.,.

Bob3468 #19 Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:10 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6509 battles
As a wise man once said: "I have some useless but important information."
I'm a TRPD member, I saved some seals once, and here are some Quotes of pure wisdom and knowledge:

"I've never seen a pidgeon die from eating off the ground, so what's the big whoop." 

-Peter Griffin 

"I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid"

-Terry Bradshaw

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users