Super Pershing E4 Useless These Days?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

casey1937 #21 Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:05 AM

Private

• Players
  • 19842 battles
I would like to know why does heat pen the lower and some time upper plate. I though the hole deal about spaced armer was to stop Heat and HE rounds. If thats not the case what is the purpose of the Super Pershing?

Edited by casey1937, 18 April 2018 - 03:06 AM.

SanguinaryDan #22 Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles
  • [III-P]

Some HEAT rounds have so much pen that the spaced armor bonuses just aren’t enough.

Though to be honest I can’t think of anything the Super Pershing might face using HEAT of that strength.   So they must be getting lucky and putting rounds into the visible bits of primary armor. 

The point of the game is to win.  The purpose of the game is to have fun.  They are not mutually exclusive.

spalling_apart #23 Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:43 PM

Oops, I spalled

• Players
  • 41920 battles
  • [III]

View PostBellatormonk, on 05 February 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

I realize the overall problem is tablet players are auto-locking onto the tubes on top of turret.  As I play on PC I continue to forget this slight advantage for tablets and have to remember to re-camo every time I engage hull down or constantly try and rock back and forth.  I had my entire tank behind a rock with 4 tanks across the map in front.  The only thing possibly exposed..tubes.

I love the responses from some of you claiming how great the tank is these days.  Some of you have 40% WR in it, or barely 125 battles meaning you have coddled your precious WR in it.  That's great you got lucky and carried in a couple battles against some real baddies and scored 4k...

Come back to the conversation with 200+ battles in it. Oh and RK..you ain't doing it much better..so your comment ain't saying much.

Yes, I think this may be part of the issue. You have to remember the wiggle mechanics required in this tank and the re-set camo is something I have to remind myself in every tank. Don't give anyone "freebie" pens, no exceptions.  

I like my Super P and do well in it. I drive it a good bit, too. I've had a bad stretch in the last few weeks but that will pass. Generally, I think of it as an anti IS-X tank at tier 8, right along with my JP2, and look forward to engaging said hvys.

I realize why you did, but I don't think there is any need to get personal with individuals responding to your post. We're all just tryna get along and share a common interest in pixel tanks.

edit: to fix this trainwreck of spelling and grammatical errors.

Edited by spalling_apart, 19 April 2018 - 02:46 PM.

spalling_apart #24 Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:48 PM

Oops, I spalled

• Players
  • 41920 battles
  • [III]

View PostSanguinaryDan, on 19 April 2018 - 08:25 AM, said:

Some HEAT rounds have so much pen that the spaced armor bonuses just aren’t enough.

Though to be honest I can’t think of anything the Super Pershing might face using HEAT of that strength.   So they must be getting lucky and putting rounds into the visible bits of primary armor. 

^ Is this true? I didn't think the mechanics worked that way. Kinda like HE, once spaced armor activates it, it's pen against the primary armor is lost, no?  Edumacate me

Also, isn't that armor fault still present in the SP. Isn't it supposed to have thicker armor behind the beefed up mantlet? Think what that would be like.

Edited by spalling_apart, 19 April 2018 - 02:49 PM.

SanguinaryDan #25 Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles
  • [III-P]

View Postspalling_apart, on 19 April 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

^ Is this true? I didn't think the mechanics worked that way. Kinda like HE, once spaced armor activates it, it's pen against the primary armor is lost, no?  Edumacate me

Also, isn't that armor fault still present in the SP. Isn't it supposed to have thicker armor behind the beefed up mantlet? Think what that would be like.

I’m not entirely certain at the moment.  Armor Inspector shows the HEAT round from the T-34-3 going through parts of the spaced armor on hull and turret. But in game I’m pretty darn sure HEAT shows cherry red when looking at any spaced armor. 

The point of the game is to win.  The purpose of the game is to have fun.  They are not mutually exclusive.

bg2b #26 Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:24 PM

M4 Lifestyle

• Players
  • 21070 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostSanguinaryDan, on 19 April 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

I’m not entirely certain at the moment.  Armor Inspector shows the HEAT round from the T-34-3 going through parts of the spaced armor on hull and turret. But in game I’m pretty darn sure HEAT shows cherry red when looking at any spaced armor. 

I believe that for most tanks with spaced armor, the skin just shows whether you'll penetrate the outer layer of armor, not whether you'll penetrate everything.  So you'll sometimes see clear when in fact you won't penetrate, and you basically just have to know where to shoot.

In the case of AP and APCR, armor thickness for two plates separated by a gap is essentially the combined thickness of the plates.  In the case of HEAT, it's the combined thickness of the plates plus the thickness of the gap.

Purplet #27 Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

The Cripple Who Is Whole

• Players
  • 25102 battles
Just raise your gun up and to the right to protect top of turret. The spaced armour moves with gun, and your gun provides extra armour there too

popisdead #28 Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26536 battles
  • [ATC_]
Just took it for a spin last weekend.  performs really well.  I love the tank, produces credits and bounces shots plus it bullies meds
I love kemping bush

V1n2002 #29 Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:41 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6409 battles
  • [NAM7]
It's only useless when you get lol'penned at the front. I've bounced 155mm and pen penned by weak guns. The armor is semi reliable and face hugging isn't great. The turret weak spots are easy to hit. The lower hull glacis is somewhat strong. Your gun is amazing Mr E4. It punches hard and has good accuracy. This vehicle is a general bully and I gave excelled in it.

(COD-R) 54.54% Winrate. Low tiers are trash, game is ruined. FML. 

Boomer_Von_Doom_II #30 Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20590 battles
  • [501ST]
It's also T49 proof from the front.  Just bullrush them and enjoy either a HEAT bounce or a 200 damage HE roll.  

Tier Xs: M48 Patton, E100, T110E4, T110E5, Maus, T57

Join my Discord: https://discord.gg/vkMn9Q7

View PostASensationalAsian, on 27 July 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

Anyone who drives a 183 please commit die.

Viper8757NC #31 Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28345 battles
  • [III-S]

I can’t get this tank to work for me.  Seems to be very team dependent, which really isn’t an option in the current ‘roll or be rolled mode.”  ^-7 losses in a row is common, as my teams get steamrolled before I can get this tank in a position to work ridge lines.  Decent gun, but no where near enough alpha given the tier 8 IS spam and consistently getting dropped into tier 9 battles.  I really want to like this tank, but the teams it draws are sickening.

#endrant

Spekulatius #32 Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:41 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32625 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postbg2b, on 19 April 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

I believe that for most tanks with spaced armor, the skin just shows whether you'll penetrate the outer layer of armor, not whether you'll penetrate everything.  So you'll sometimes see clear when in fact you won't penetrate, and you basically just have to know where to shoot.

In the case of AP and APCR, armor thickness for two plates separated by a gap is essentially the combined thickness of the plates.  In the case of HEAT, it's the combined thickness of the plates plus the thickness of the gap.

I am not sure about heat rounds, but APCR rounds of the IS variants can pen the SP hull easily. I also recall that I can pen the SP turret with AP rounds from a Caern, shooting at the shield next to the gun or the tumor on top. The SP armor is good against meds, but not reliable against  APCR rounds from Tier 8 heavies,  much less higher Tier guns.

Community pledge signer

Bellatormonk #33 Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:30 AM

Tinfoil Knight

• Players
  • 38879 battles
  • [UNIVN]

Yes it for sure suffers from a lack of Alpha, although there is a whole thread about Mediums being DPM instead of Alpha based these days.  Which as mentioned is only viable if your team doesn't melt in 1:30 or less.  So yah the tank is very dependent because once you get some other power creeped medium or light on your flank it's over.  I still just don't like it these days.  Still seems to get lolpenned and just pew pews against targets as my team continues to circle jerk and I am stuck ridge humping or face hugging some other heavy or medium with no support.

The Russian/Chinese Meds I play outperform the E4 at every turn. 

Viper8757NC #34 Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28345 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostBellatormonk, on 10 September 2018 - 05:30 AM, said:

Yes it for sure suffers from a lack of Alpha, although there is a whole thread about Mediums being DPM instead of Alpha based these days.  Which as mentioned is only viable if your team doesn't melt in 1:30 or less.  So yah the tank is very dependent because once you get some other power creeped medium or light on your flank it's over.  I still just don't like it these days.  Still seems to get lolpenned and just pew pews against targets as my team continues to circle jerk and I am stuck ridge humping or face hugging some other heavy or medium with no support.

The Russian/Chinese Meds I play outperform the E4 at every turn. 

I am Viper8757NC, and I endorse this statement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users