New capability for top tier heavies please

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Posit1ve_ #21 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:06 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 39975 battles
  • [_V_]

I think what he means is the lookout bar feature.

OP; go to the settings and enable the "lookout bar". There will be a little blue rectangle in the bottom right that you can press and drag on to look around your tank while keeping your turret locked in place (the hull can still move and drive around while using the joystick). On PC; simply hold right mouse button

And by the way; that's not going to help you if you're being circled by a med. Firstly; what are you doing in the open? Unless you've run into my bat chat immediately flanking into your spawn while you're still driving to cover; you should always have some sort of cover available to you. And also; most tier X heavies can beat a medium by traversing both the hull and turret. Very few meds can beat a heavy's combined traverse indefinitely (bat chat and Leo)

Edited by Posit1ve_, 11 January 2018 - 06:07 PM.

301 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

NICKEL_AND_DIME #22 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

Insufficient Loyalty

• Players
  • 46772 battles
  • [III-C]

I hear that in update 4.8, there will be more equipment.  Rumor has it one of these equipments is Lithium Grease to help the turret traverse faster. 

Or maybe this was just dreamed up in response to some expired Chinese food I may have eaten before bed.

4sfield #23 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

Space Lord

• Players
  • 26916 battles
  • [CRUEL]

View PostDrFerd, on 11 January 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

In another scenario a player would begin in their garage and open the button in the top left corner, then the button called "settings", then the button called "controls", then select the button "with button" for the function "auto-aim"; whilst also in "controls" said player could, in this scenario, also activate the button for "lookout bar". Henceforth thereafter, hopefully entering battle in say, tiers 3 or 4, would learn to activate and inactivate the auto-aim on/off button whenever desired and prevent said ineffectual turret traverse by auto-aim lock-on while at the same time preventing additional unwanted turret traverse by viewing annoying medium tanks with expedited usage of the lookout bar, after successful application of which, in this scenario, the players team mates might arrive to save their vehicle from imminent destruction.

What you’re describing requires a unicum skill set, most guys now just can’t pull it off. 

It isn’t going to take much more complaining before we see a medium/light speed nerf and a heavy turret traverse buff. 

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

FREE _stealy!!!

celestron2 #24 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 29397 battles

View PostPosit1ve_, on 11 January 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

OP; go to the settings and enable the "lookout bar". There will be a little blue rectangle in the bottom right that you can press and drag on to look around your tank while keeping your turret locked in place (the hull can still move and drive around while using the joystick). On PC; simply hold right mouse button

And by the way; that's not going to help you if you're being circled by a med. Firstly; what are you doing in the open? Unless you've run into my bat chat immediately flanking into your spawn while you're still driving to cover; you should always have some sort of cover available to you. And also; most tier X heavies can beat a medium by traversing both the hull and turret. Very few meds can beat a heavy's combined traverse indefinitely (bat chat and Leo)

Much discussion can be had about “heavy in the open”.  I get your point. But, the game is a game of maneuver. If a heavy can sit Hidden and pound damage with every round, then stay put. If the enemy is elsewhere and team mates are in peril, then get the heavy there as quickly and on a logical path as possible.  Sometimes it means in the open depending on the sutuation.  Very off topic and volumes of discussion on this elsewhere already. 

celestron2 #25 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 29397 battles

View Postcelestron2, on 11 January 2018 - 06:15 PM, said:

Much discussion can be had about “heavy in the open”.  I get your point. But, the game is a game of maneuver. If a heavy can sit Hidden and pound damage with every round, then stay put. If the enemy is elsewhere and team mates are in peril, then get the heavy there as quickly and on a logical path as possible.  Sometimes it means in the open depending on the sutuation.  Very off topic and volumes of discussion on this elsewhere already. 

and btw: there is no flame equal to the flame following a heavy who didn’t take one on the chin to save lighter team mates. Oh the pressure ........

_Fish_ #26 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 21728 battles
  • [III-C]

You do not require Ninja fingers to manage the traverse and locked turret manoeuvre. All that is required is good quality, Grade A fennel powder than can be purchased from any reasonable supplier. Stay away from street and alleyway dealers as they have been known to mix the fennel powder with weed killer, talcpowder and even at times, baby powder. All of which are too abrasive and restrict the “glide”, motion to carry out this complex manoeuvre.

To avoid getting any fennel powder residue on my clothes during battle, I will often remove my clothes and play naked. This also successfully frustrates and confuses the enemy when they learn that they are being pounded by a locked turret, traversing naked man. It’s all about psychological warefare my friend.

wannabeunicum #27 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26205 battles

You are joking right

You idiots in the heavie got what you wanted and med tanks pen were nerfed. Then heavies tanks are being buffed left and right. In 3.8 you got 10 percent more traverse already and you already have superfuel. Its next to impossible to circle a heavy these days without tracking it. I remember before 2.8(I think ) that I could circle a heavy much easier than this crap

VikkoTheTusken #28 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

URoRRuR'R'R

• Players
  • 19131 battles
  • [III-H]

View Post_Fish_, on 11 January 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

You do not require Ninja fingers to manage the traverse and locked turret manoeuvre. All that is required is good quality, Grade A fennel powder than can be purchased from any reasonable supplier. Stay away from street and alleyway dealers as they have been known to mix the fennel powder with weed killer, talcpowder and even at times, baby powder. All of which are too abrasive and restrict the “glide”, motion to carry out this complex manoeuvre.

To avoid getting any fennel powder residue on my clothes during battle, I will often remove my clothes and play naked. This also successfully frustrates and confuses the enemy when they learn that they are being pounded by a locked turret, traversing naked man. It’s all about psychological warefare my friend.

I thought Fennel Stem powder was a choice in the new 12th equipment slot.   I hope it not too expensive. I'll just spend gold. Fennel Stem powder is always worth it. 

Rage Quit? Bad Teams? MM got you down? Click HERE for my Blitz Guide to better tanking

Twitter     Facebook     YouTube

VikkoTheTusken #29 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

URoRRuR'R'R

• Players
  • 19131 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 11 January 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

Agreed. How else can one bounce shots in the Maus when moving around constantly or during a straight line relocation move?

Rage Quit? Bad Teams? MM got you down? Click HERE for my Blitz Guide to better tanking

Twitter     Facebook     YouTube

_chasey #30 Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

Unicum in training

• Players
  • 18915 battles
  • [SRT]
Just use the lookout bar at the bottom right of the screen. Works every time. But it will be slower than if you let the turret swing independently of the chassis.

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #31 Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8927 battles
  • [COD]

View Postwannabeunicum, on 11 January 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

You are joking right

You idiots in the heavie got what you wanted and med tanks pen were nerfed. Then heavies tanks are being buffed left and right. In 3.8 you got 10 percent more traverse already and you already have superfuel. Its next to impossible to circle a heavy these days without tracking it. I remember before 2.8(I think ) that I could circle a heavy much easier than this crap

WG is raining down buffs on heavy tanks right now. To give heavy tanks another round of buffs would be insane.

Also—if you're experiencing chronic circling problems, try sticking with your team. 

I love nothing more / Than my beautiful, succulent chins . . .

Co-founder of the Training Room Police Department (TRPD)

celestron2 #32 Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 29397 battles

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 11 January 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

WG is raining down buffs on heavy tanks right now. To give heavy tanks another round of buffs would be insane.

Also—if you're experiencing chronic circling problems, try sticking with your team. 

seems like pen from my heavy is somewhat better, but always subjective.  

Yep, team maneuver is a good idea sometimes.  But not so fast. What did Guederian do in the push eastward? Encirclement.

what did Zhukov do during the Stalingrad offensive? Encirclement. 

What did the Soviet army do during bagration?  Encirclement 

I’ve seen this done both deftly and poorly in WOT.  Team  quality varies widely. 

Heavies are expected to lead, sometime no one follows. Sometimes it’s inefficient to turn around. Depends. Use your experience and decide what to do based on the situation 

Its_All_DGood #33 Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:57 PM

The Dude abides

• Players
  • 42128 battles
  • [III-X]

@celestron2, I fail to see the issue.  I'm quite rarely "CODed" in a heavy (or any tank, for that matter) by a medium.  At any tier -- especially tier 10, where the mediums tend to be slower.  Perhaps the proper solution to your problem is to better understand Blitz strategy and positioning.  You should NEVER EVER be "out in the open" in a heavy.  If you are -- EVER -- you're doing it wrong.

I have a feeling that you're studying the wrong strategies.  Guderian was a brilliant tactician -- in real-world battles.  This, however, is a game.  Those tactics don't necessarily translate.  Sure, if you can encircle an enemy force you can decimate them. (For example, team A on the ridge line in Winter Mal while team B withers in the frozen lake.)  However, in Blitz, it's often (actually usually) better and easier to use the "tank fist" approach where all of the greens push together and focus fire on a single enemy tank.  Watch the Blitz Cup vids, you'll see this often employed.

Did I say never be in the "open" in a heavy?  Maybe I should repeat...  NEVER BE IN THE OPEN IN A HEAVY.

celestron2 #34 Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 29397 battles

View PostIts_All_DGood, on 11 January 2018 - 10:57 PM, said:

@celestron2, I fail to see the issue.  I'm quite rarely "CODed" in a heavy (or any tank, for that matter) by a medium.  At any tier -- especially tier 10, where the mediums tend to be slower.  Perhaps the proper solution to your problem is to better understand Blitz strategy and positioning.  You should NEVER EVER be "out in the open" in a heavy.  If you are -- EVER -- you're doing it wrong.

I have a feeling that you're studying the wrong strategies.  Guderian was a brilliant tactician -- in real-world battles.  This, however, is a game.  Those tactics don't necessarily translate.  Sure, if you can encircle an enemy force you can decimate them. (For example, team A on the ridge line in Winter Mal while team B withers in the frozen lake.)  However, in Blitz, it's often (actually usually) better and easier to use the "tank fist" approach where all of the greens push together and focus fire on a single enemy tank.  Watch the Blitz Cup vids, you'll see this often employed.

Did I say never be in the "open" in a heavy?  Maybe I should repeat...  NEVER BE IN THE OPEN IN A HEAVY.

Received in the constructive spirit given.  I respectfully disagree. If you are good in the context that you describe your methodology, then you’re a good team mate. We joined three days apart? Didn’t you start a clan around that time and use audio/voice? If so, then I can believe a more highly integrated battle could preclude “heavy in the open “ which is usually inspired (from my experience) by the need to bail somebody out. 

Edited by celestron2, 11 January 2018 - 11:17 PM.

Its_All_DGood #35 Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:34 PM

The Dude abides

• Players
  • 42128 battles
  • [III-X]

View Postcelestron2, on 11 January 2018 - 11:00 PM, said:

Received in the constructive spirit given.  I respectfully disagree. If you are good in the context that you describe your methodology, then you’re a good team mate. We joined three days apart? Didn’t you start a clan around that time and use audio/voice? If so, then I can believe a more highly integrated battle could preclude “heavy in the open “ which is usually inspired (from my experience) by the need to bail somebody out. 

No, I've never started a clan.  I've only been, and will only be, a member of one -- Triarii.  I've been with them since well before in-game clans existed, as well.

I'm glad you didn't take my advice in any other than a constructive spirit.

One key component of being good at this game is knowing where (or guessing where) all 14 tanks are, and are headed, at any given time.  I won't say I'm never in the open in a heavy.  What I will say is that I never (almost) get exposed by the red team when I am.  This is because I have practiced situational awareness and I know where my tank needs to be to be of greatest effect at any time.  Thus, I'm rarely out of position needing to cross in the open for re-positioning.  If I do cross in the open, I know that the risk to my tank is minimal because the red tanks are not in a position where they can whack me.

I'd say that's really it in a nutshell: the most important skill in this game -- by far -- is being aware of the situation as it unfolds.  Even better, as your situational awareness skills improve, you learn what the situation will be during and after your movements.  This is more important than having a gun that penetrates everything, having armor that bounces everything, having speed to move, ... anything.  What I've observed (and cannot yet do with great success) is that the tip top unicum have another level of awareness -- they know what will happen because of their movements.  They can often use that to manipulate the red tank positions to suit their needs.  Think of that.  They not only can play against the other players, they can manipulate red behaviors.  (In pub games, anyway.)  I've seen these guys do that and it's incredible.

Have fun!

Its_All_DGood #36 Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:36 PM

The Dude abides

• Players
  • 42128 battles
  • [III-X]
And of course, all my situational awareness goes out the window after a big glass of wine.  :teethhappy:

celestron2 #37 Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:07 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 29397 battles

View PostIts_All_DGood, on 11 January 2018 - 11:34 PM, said:

No, I've never started a clan.  I've only been, and will only be, a member of one -- Triarii.  I've been with them since well before in-game clans existed, as well.

I'm glad you didn't take my advice in any other than a constructive spirit.

One key component of being good at this game is knowing where (or guessing where) all 14 tanks are, and are headed, at any given time.  I won't say I'm never in the open in a heavy.  What I will say is that I never (almost) get exposed by the red team when I am.  This is because I have practiced situational awareness and I know where my tank needs to be to be of greatest effect at any time.  Thus, I'm rarely out of position needing to cross in the open for re-positioning.  If I do cross in the open, I know that the risk to my tank is minimal because the red tanks are not in a position where they can whack me.

I'd say that's really it in a nutshell: the most important skill in this game -- by far -- is being aware of the situation as it unfolds.  Even better, as your situational awareness skills improve, you learn what the situation will be during and after your movements.  This is more important than having a gun that penetrates everything, having armor that bounces everything, having speed to move, ... anything.  What I've observed (and cannot yet do with great success) is that the tip top unicum have another level of awareness -- they know what will happen because of their movements.  They can often use that to manipulate the red tank positions to suit their needs.  Think of that.  They not only can play against the other players, they can manipulate red behaviors.  (In pub games, anyway.)  I've seen these guys do that and it's incredible.

Have fun!

Yeah... that makes sense.  I agree with that general rule. 

celestron2 #38 Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 29397 battles

Update: for those who skip to the end, this request was for a functional option for heavies in which if caught in the open by a med, a slow heavy could use a button to force its turret aligned dead ahead so that the heavy could angle both its turret and chassis simultaneous so that the close circling med has a much harder time finding a flat service to pen. Of course, this exchanges the opportunity for an offensive action by the heavy for purely (very effective) defensive until the heavy can back into a barrier. Could use this if friendly tanks were still available. Depends on situation. Obviously not for use if totally isolated, or if your’re the last friendly

A few definitions:

i use an iPad (blitz). At this level of competition, it’s admittedly best to use a desktop.  

“Heavy” references E100, Maus, maybe IS7, whatever is big, slow and has a turret

”in the open” generally means about 3 heavy tank lengths from any barrier. That’s all is needed for a fast med to close circle for  favorable repeated shots at any slow heavy’s side

Ok, so suggestions included:

1) enable  the auto-aim “button”.  By itself, it doesn’t prevent the turret from trying uselessly to point at the close circling med, exposing a flat turret side, even though the chassis is properly angled. At least that’s the action on the iPad.

2) use the “view only “ slider on the iPad game screen. While this works for some while simultaneously  angling with the direction control, good. I’ve tried it.  It probably works for some. Seems like finger magic to me. 

I have tried suggestions so far and still come to the conclusion that on (however rare) occasion having a “ lock/unlock turret forward “ button would allow limited ability fingers to direct to simple temporary angling on these occasions. 

This is was just an update. I don’t have anything else to contribute. It also didn’t generate enthusiasm, so ..............

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

__Crusader6__ #39 Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:57 AM

BANNED

• Players
  • 50363 battles
  • [III]

https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/celestron2

I would suggest you not worry about a button, but rather learn to play.  

Tank Hoarder: 327 tanks in Garage (62 now equipped w/ at least 1 Level 3 Slot, thx 3.8), 330/330 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo), and  wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner 

WANTED: Head of the idiot that introduced chests 

celestron2 #40 Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 29397 battles

View Post__Crusader6__, on 15 January 2018 - 04:57 AM, said:

https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/celestron2

I would suggest you not worry about a button, but rather learn to play.  

nahhhh.....

i take it back, being disrespectful. .  I had reason for asking but 46000 games is 46000 games. My apologies.  Play on. 

Edited by celestron2, 16 January 2018 - 02:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users