equipment choice

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

bg2b #1 Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

M4 Lifestyle

• Players
  • 13921 battles
  • [SPUD]
I just realized that the first level vitality equipment changed at some point from since 3.8.  I always had it on the leftmost choice (Protected Modules) and never changed anything.  Now there's "Improved Modules" which buffs some module HP and mitigates ram damage vs. "Defense System" which reduces the chance that engine, ammo rack, or crew takes damage (so I guess it's changing the odds for the saving throw that modules get when a shell would hit them).  I only noticed the change because I was watching a bit of Perfect_M1nd's stream and he generally seemed to have the rightmost option (Defense System) chosen.  Has anyone done any experiments or thought about it enough to come up with an argument for which choice is better in general?  Or is it tank-dependent?  And if it is tank-dependent, what criteria do you use for deciding?

Edited by bg2b, 12 January 2018 - 08:54 PM.

Rum_Tanker #2 Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6497 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Ive wondered the same thing since noticing the change. Hopefully someone chimes in.

ahredstealth #3 Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:13 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 18347 battles
  • [SPUD]

I switched a couple of my tanks with low armor/crummy ram damage over...  Then played them for two games.

I did not notice a difference.

More testing may be necessary, but it sounded good in the read out...

Dear Naps,
I'm sorry I was mean to you in Kindergarten.
Sincerely Sorry,
ahredstealth

Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD #4 Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

plz pm me

• Players
  • 22042 battles
  • [Z-95]

I'm thinking of doing the second choice in the AMX 13 90 because the acceleration is so poor and you're going to get nudged and rammed constantly with it.

It's sort of twisty though because most of the tanks that this is an issue have weak ammoracks, so I'm going to pick the module which protects ammoracks every time.

name explanation

AMX 50B - Mort au champ d'honneur!

bg2b #5 Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

M4 Lifestyle

• Players
  • 13921 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostBolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD, on 12 January 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

It's sort of twisty though because most of the tanks that this is an issue have weak ammoracks, so I'm going to pick the module which protects ammoracks every time.

Both options protect the ammo rack, but in different ways.  Improved Modules adds 10% to HP for track, fuel tanks, and ammo rack.  Defense System reduces chance of damage to engine by 10%, crew by 8%, and ammo rack by 7%.  IIRC, the normal chances for damaging the engine, crew, and ammo rack are 45%, 33%, and 27%, so presumably these chances drop to 35%, 25%, and 20% with Defense System.

_Duncan_Idaho_ #6 Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:16 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 28598 battles
  • [DUNE_]

so maybe the defense system would reduce the potential for engines lit up by fire? My AMX 1390 get caught fire at least once per battle. . 

Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD #7 Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

plz pm me

• Players
  • 22042 battles
  • [Z-95]
I'm not exactly sure how it works but from what I've heard, there are both engine fires and fuel fires.  American tanks are forever on fire if you get behind them because their engine is unarmored from the rear and you can HE it.  I don't know if HE increases fire risk against an exposed module but module damage/destruction is definitely more likely if it is unarmored from a particular angle.  On the flipside, Russian meds burn a lot because they have fuel tanks in the front.  Lights, especially the French lights, have a lot of surface area not covered by tracks so I'm experiencing lots of fires and nonsense as well.

name explanation

AMX 50B - Mort au champ d'honneur!

bg2b #8 Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:22 PM

M4 Lifestyle

• Players
  • 13921 battles
  • [SPUD]

I think I'm going to try switching most stuff to Defense System.  Based on how often I get module damage compared to how often I get shot and how much space the modules take up inside the typical tank, I'm guessing that much of the time when I take an engine, crew, or ammo rack hit, it's for enough HP to put the module/crew in a damaged state and force me to burn a kit.  Getting an improved chance of avoiding the module damage entirely seems like it may be better.  If you have a tank where you're regularly getting 1-shot ammo racked or 1-shot set on fire, then perhaps the Improved Modules (perhaps combined with the protective kit provision) would be the way to go.

(If I understand the protective kit correctly, it's also +10% HP for ammo rack and fuel tank.  I'm not sure what the 15% crew protection means.  Do crew have HP also, or is it that if they get hit then they're automatically knocked out?)

Rockracer #9 Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8180 battles
  • [POARS]

if you ram or not

that's basically the only factor i use to decide which one

I played TDs before it was cool. It was also never cool to begin with.

Fu_Manchu_ #10 Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:30 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2756 battles
  • [K1LC0]
I've only played up to tier 7, so this might change at higher tiers, but it's pretty rare that I take serious damage due to ramming. Injured/killed crews and engine fires however are quite common. So I always go with the Defense System.

One RNG to rule them all,

One RNG to find them;

One RNG to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Fu_Manchu_ #11 Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:30 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2756 battles
  • [K1LC0]

View PostRockracer, on 12 January 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

if you ram or not

that's basically the only factor i use to decide which one

I'd never really thought about it changing the damage when I ram (I just assumed it was for damage I take when I get rammed). I do that a fair amount. Still, I think I will stick with the Defense System though.

Edited by Fu_Manchu_, 12 January 2018 - 11:31 PM.

One RNG to rule them all,

One RNG to find them;

One RNG to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

RoadKill_177664 #12 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 18035 battles
  • [ECHOP]
I simply like +30% over +25% 

bg2b #13 Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

M4 Lifestyle

• Players
  • 13921 battles
  • [SPUD]

I tried some experiments in a training room of just shooting at the commander of an FT using a Tetrarch.  Initially I had no equipment on the FT.  From 100 shots, here are the numbers I got

No equipment, no provisions: 34% commander knocked out

No equipment, protective kit: 32% commander knocked out

Defense system, no provisions: 21% commander knocked out

Defense system, protective kit: 15% commander knocked out

Based on the test with just the protective kit, I was going to conclude that the 15% crew injury protection was something like a crew hitpoint buff and that the Tetrarch was just doing enough damage that the HP buff wasn't anything worthwhile.  The 15% certainly isn't just subtracted from the nominal 33% injury probability.  But maybe it means 33%*0.85 = 28% and the FT commander just happened to get a bit unlucky.  I can't repeat that exact test since I then added the defense system equipment.  The defense system definitely made a big difference.  Based on the wording for the defense system, I'd have expected 25%, but the FT commander may have been a bit lucky this time.  Protective kit+defense system might mean 33%*0.85-8% = 20% or (33%-8%)*0.85 = 21%, but either way, it does seem like the protective kit is doing something on top of the defense system.

Anyway, my one definite conclusion is that defense system is doing something significant in terms of protecting you from crew injuries.

Edited by bg2b, 13 January 2018 - 08:55 PM.

Cletusrocks_ap #14 Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13679 battles
  • [QUEFF]
I use the one that mitigates ram damage with fast tanks.  Of which I have none.  But if I did, thats what I would use because there's nothing more depressing than trying to ram someone for the kill but dying yourself.  Driving heavies in low tiers I've constantly got leos and elc's who [accidentally maybe?] ram themselves to death on me.  Which is hilarious for me, but it must be so embarrassing for the suicide tanker.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png

A good heavy driver knows how to make shots bounce off their armor, how to use cover while fighting at the front, when to get out there and just take the shot to protect his team, to keep the reds attention focused so his team can flank, and to consistently do damage while all of that happens.  

Also tagged with equipment, choice

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users