Unpopular Opinion

British Churchill Churchill VII Black Prince Caernarvon Conqueror FV215B Heavy Tank 120mm L1A1

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

SirChedderJack #1 Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 28671 battles
  • [ABRMS]

The British Heavy Line Is Really Fun

I'll let the room settle down a bit before continuing... please stop throwing imaginary tomatoes at me through the screen. 

also this isn't a review per se, just my experience in them. 

Anyways, that was not a typo. The British Heavy line is really fun. 

One thing that this line features over and over again whether it be armor performance or gun handling or even both is one word; Reliability. 

Before I continue I believe its important that you know at least some of my history as a player on WOTB because as I've learned, this greatly impacts how one perceives a new line. I neglected this line because i never liked the look of British heavies. They  never fit my mold of what a heavy tank should look like. So I never played them until now. I've been playing this game for close to three years now. 19k battles. A lot has changed. Just the other day I stumbled across an online receipt in my emails for 30 days of premium for $1.99. I remember +2/-2 matchmaking. I remember when tier 7 wasnt a race to die first in the fastest tank.

Like so many of you now and so many of you to come, I yolo'd my way up the IS-7 because I simply liked how it looked and the gun did big boy boom boom dmg. Most of the line had a 122mm and when you're first starting out, of course you want to do big damage. Long story short, got the IS-7, did awful because i was an o7 gg nub and rage sold it...twice.. that was over two years ago where it sits with a 37% WR lol.. since then have re-purchased the IS-8 because reasons. 

This trend continued until i reached about 10k battles which is when i hit 50% WR and from there I just wanted to get better. By now I had the Cent 7/1.. because once again, i liked the look. I still didn't completely understand how to use it the way I do now. By looking at my stats in it you would think I still dont know how to use it but I guarantee you its because the past is the past and I cant change that okay? Thx. 

But after failing the is7, cent 7/1, and e50m in my early days a trend started to emerge. I was actually getting better in every new line I would grind. Since reaching ~12k battles I have been a 57-62% player ever since.  rip wotbstars gg..

Holy [edited], should I talk about British heavies yet? 

Have you ever wanted to re-live your nub days and drive in a straight line at the enemy team? British heavies tier 5-7 would like to introduce themselves. The amount of times this works is simply mind blowing. You just get to sit there.. shoot your pea shooter every 3-5 seconds and eat shots..This is heavy tanking. Playing like this literally almost brought a tear to my eye because if your team has any idea whats going on they will see that weird looking heavy tank going 2v1 putting in work and they might actually support you. 

Nothing is more annoying/demoralizing than being hit every few seconds by a low alpha shot over and over right? Think e-25, panther, comet, AT-15, Chi-Ri....or  literally every british heavy tank tier 5-8. What makes them different from all the other tanks just listed besides AT-15 is that British heavies have the armor and HP to just literally sit in front of you and death by dpm you back to your garage. Nothing is more fun and in true British fashion, you are laying waste to your enemy and expanding your empire ftw. 

Ok so in summary tier 5-7. The sound of your gun and the sound of shots bouncing off of you come together to provide a beautiful theme song while you are empire expanding. good times. 

*blushing*

HI CAERNARVON. HELLO BEAUTIFUL HI UM WHATS UR NAME?? DO U WORKOUT?  I MEAN....UHHHHHHHI

...This tank will fck you up faster than grandma asking if you're hungry when you visit. If you're still wondering if that makes sense, I dont know either, but what im trying to say is that in the time it took you to read that the Carnarvon is already going for dessert.

But really, this tank can do it all. Brawl, snipe, hull down, good turret. 130mm of angled upper plate actually does a lot if you are top tier. If you're hull down, 100+ meters from a heavy tank or any piece of sh** russian they have close to no chance. none. its beautiful. You will thoroughly enjoy whenever anyone in any tank rushes you because they very very very quickly realize they shouldn't have before they turn into a doorstop. God its fun. Definitely my go to tier 8 tank from now. Maybe when the day comes when I dont know what to do with my money ill enrich it. 

Side note, once I get to tier 8 in a line I will gold the crew to 100% due to the fact that I will likely finish the grind before reaching 100%  or because the tank just performs that much better..

Anyways, get it. It's awesome and a completely new take on heavy tanking. 

moving on to..

C O N Q U E R O R

Winning. Thats what this tank is. God bless the queen and God bless the Conqueror. Since no one in real is going to ask me about pixel tanks, I need to tell you how awesome this tank is. You're still here right? OK. well its awesome, dude. See below

I grinded over 100k free xp during the x5 xp bonus weekend over the holidays with one thing in mind: The turret and tier X L1A1 120mm gun. I call it the slave gun because it does everything I want it to, when i tell it to. 

Funny story, I impulsively bought the t49 during this grind, free xp'd both guns on accident and ended up 100  free xp from the slave gun. One game with the trusty 20 pounder, (3k dmg loss) but for all I care i probably could have gone afk and gotten 100 xp. Got some gold to get the crew to a hunnid and suddenly I had the best heavy gun at tier 9 and its not even fully equipped. Its beautiful. 8.8s reload on a tier 9 heavy is just god sent. You also get cheap HESH (1200 credits) with 120mm pen that becomes very effective against mediums. While the cent 7/1 HESH does 50 more pen it costs nearly 4x as much FOR LESS DAMAGE. So I want to be certain I can pen before i throw credits away. with the Conq, I dont need that 100% confidence. If it pens, great, if not, another one is otw in 8s. which for some reason is also a faster reload than the Cent. It also features the same if not better better gun handling than the cent in everything besides dispersion on movement and depression .14 vs .1 -10 vs -7. Kind of sad for the cent, really. 

Some people will say that they dont like the mobility but I would have to say that while,yes, it doesnt have a high top speed (30-32) It accelerates very very well and moves fluidly. If that makes sense

SO, with all that being said..FV21..just kidding, I wont be getting the tier 10 unless its replaced. 

Guys, I know this was long, but I just had to get it off my chest as I've been playing these tanks almost exclusively for over a month now. I had to tell someone how ******* much I enjoyed them. 

Thanks

-Chedder

Edited by SirChedderJack, 07 February 2018 - 11:32 PM.

BorisBaddenov #2 Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 24608 battles
  • [NOGUD]

tl;dr

Cliff notes version?

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

SirChedderJack #3 Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 28671 battles
  • [ABRMS]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 19 January 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

tl;dr

Cliff notes version?

nah. 

__The_Dude_30__ #4 Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

acrisis’s assistant

• Players
  • 21835 battles
  • [CRU2L]
I'm sure this is full of great stuff, but whenever on of these long posts come up I tend to read the first paragraph and then zone out. Please excuse my attention span of a goldfish.

Signature by SpartacusDiablo   The king of signatures                                                                                                                       CRU2L Deputy. CRUEL/CRU2L discord: https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

o7 RatchetGod, R.I.P.

SirChedderJack #5 Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 28671 battles
  • [ABRMS]

View Post__The_Dude_30__, on 19 January 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

I'm sure this is full of great stuff, but whenever on of these long posts come up I tend to read the first paragraph and then zone out. Please excuse my attention span of a goldfish.

Fine by me. I see so many posts that are just a few lines of senseless jargon meant to provoke. Complain about this or that, yada yada. The point of this was to help others gain some insight which is hard to do in a few lines. 

Edited by SirChedderJack, 19 January 2018 - 01:50 PM.

Pastaguy2003 #6 Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5734 battles
  • [COD-R]
I ran the churchill 7 at 84 percent, it's a beast of a tank.

Lines I'm grinding: Obj. 268 (at ISU 152)  WZ-113 (at Type T34)

"To derp, or not to derp"

-Anonymous KV2 driver

SirChedderJack #7 Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 28671 battles
  • [ABRMS]

View PostPastaguy2003, on 19 January 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

I ran the churchill 7 at 84 percent, it's a beast of a tank.

niceee, i only managed 60%!!  probably in my eagerness to drive it at Red to take it to its limits lol 

Pastaguy2003 #8 Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:53 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5734 battles
  • [COD-R]

View PostSirChedderJack, on 19 January 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

niceee, i only managed 60%!!  probably in my eagerness to drive it at Red to take it to its limits lol 

I just tried to use my armor and hp pool to distract reds from my team, while shooting non-stop at them.  Pretty good sidescraping tank

Lines I'm grinding: Obj. 268 (at ISU 152)  WZ-113 (at Type T34)

"To derp, or not to derp"

-Anonymous KV2 driver

BorisBaddenov #9 Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 24608 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View PostSirChedderJack, on 19 January 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

Fine by me. I see so many posts that are just a few lines of senseless jargon meant to provoke. Complain about this or that, yada yada. The point of this was to help others gain some insight which is hard to do in a few lines. 

So .. no happy medium?

/shrug

Boris

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

_Duncan_Idaho_ #10 Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 39122 battles
  • [DUNE_]

I love the line too. . .  the timing of your post was just after the release of the Church VI. Did you add that to your collection?

SirChedderJack #11 Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 28671 battles
  • [ABRMS]

View Post_Duncan_Idaho_, on 19 January 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

I love the line too. . .  the timing of your post was just after the release of the Church VI. Did you add that to your collection?

I saw! pretty good timing eh? I wont be getting it, hope to see them in my T34 Victory though(;

tjheff1066 #12 Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 60943 battles
  • [ACE1]

Good post.  I TOTALLY agree.  I love the churchills.  Have every single one in my garage except the Churchill 1.  That includes the new Churchill Mk VI.

YES..YES, YES.....they are nearly painfully slow and that can be very frustrating.  That's easily the worst part of playing this line at tiers five through seven. But, when you get a good position Like a choke point, and you have three or four enemies shooting at you, and your bouncing shots like a boss, and returning fast fire, tracking them and ripping them to pieces it's a blast.  Or going at em, "charging " and they say ooops and start bouncing off walls trying to turn to run away.....fun stuff.  

Most people like the easy Russian point and shoot, peek a boom tanks because when you have no idea how this game works in terms of hull down or angling or positioning or anything frankly....everybody knows intuitively to hide behind a wall when getting shot at and pop out and shoot when clear, and blasting 400 dmg each time can make even the nubbiest nob think they got it figured out.  Snore. 

Edited by tjheff1066, 21 January 2018 - 12:41 PM.

Dub_C_Daddy #13 Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 18650 battles
  • [BOOM1]
Great post. I like the long ones with good info. I was ready to hang up this line for later but you’ve given me new vigor! What are your thoughts on the British meds?

SirChedderJack #14 Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 28671 battles
  • [ABRMS]

View PostDub_C_Daddy, on 17 February 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

Great post. I like the long ones with good info. I was ready to hang up this line for later but you’ve given me new vigor! What are your thoughts on the British meds?

sorry for late reply.. but ill be short, british meds work. i think im close to 1800 games in the cent 7/1. the gun is just amazing add that with hesh and youre a pseudo heavy-sniper. lovely. 

SanguinaryDan #15 Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17143 battles
  • [III-P]

While I despise the Churchill I and am not very fond of the VII, I adore the two premium variants. The III with 6 pounder is just fun to play. Grinding ahead, continually snapping off shots that will pen everything you hit is a joy. And the fully buffed VI is amazingly effective. 

The rest of the British Heavy line is great. Totally different than the Churchills once you hit the Caernarvon.  But still damned good tanks even if much harder to use. 

The point of the game is to win.  The purpose of the game is to have fun.  They are not mutually exclusive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users