Jump to content


Why Isn't Blitz on Linux?

Linux Android

  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Ericmopar #1 Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:12 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 3219 battles
  • 2,212
  • Member since:
    04-10-2017

I just had an insight.

Blitz runs on Android, which means it should also work with few mods on Linux.

Which probably means the core code for WoT PC on Linux PC is also achievable.


Old and Treacherous Flying Monkey.

 

 


tankeatingtiger #2 Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:21 AM

    Luvs His Hellkitty

  • Players
  • 14044 battles
  • 1,598
  • [COD]
  • Member since:
    11-19-2016

Why doesn't Taco Bell have fries???

 


Edited by tankeatingtiger, 24 January 2018 - 02:25 AM.

YouTube Channel: 

https://www.youtube....tankeatingtiger

There's an old Etruscan saying, "you can lead a horse to water, and you can really freak out your enemies by leaving its severed head in their bed."

-Blartch


VikkoTheTusken #3 Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:34 AM

    URoRRuR'R'R

  • Players
  • 19179 battles
  • 3,550
  • [III-H]
  • Member since:
    01-03-2015

View Posttankeatingtiger, on 23 January 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

Why doesn't Taco Bell have fries???

 

Food is good.


Edited by VikkoTheTusken, 24 January 2018 - 03:17 AM.

Rage Quit? Bad Teams? MM got you down? Click HERE for my Blitz Guide to better tanking

Twitter     Facebook     YouTube

My presence here on the forums is over. You can find me at the links above and on various Discord servers. If you're curious or feel like trolling, peruse [This Thread]

 


tankeatingtiger #4 Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:35 AM

    Luvs His Hellkitty

  • Players
  • 14044 battles
  • 1,598
  • [COD]
  • Member since:
    11-19-2016

View PostVikkoTheTusken, on 23 January 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

 

that's what the video is about

YouTube Channel: 

https://www.youtube....tankeatingtiger

There's an old Etruscan saying, "you can lead a horse to water, and you can really freak out your enemies by leaving its severed head in their bed."

-Blartch


RoadKutter #5 Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:51 AM

    Polish Demolish

  • Players
  • 30132 battles
  • 4,222
  • [III-H]
  • Member since:
    07-08-2014
What is Linux?

                         

                                    Retired due to a Noob storm, shutters are up and the hamster has been put down!

 

                

                                                                  


zeur0sis #6 Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:10 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 18807 battles
  • 1,147
  • [-1]
  • Member since:
    09-17-2016
Lol.  This thread goes from Taco Bell fries to what is Linux.   

 

"Mm sucks just like u r face.    Now Go cry on tissue not here." ~ raj

 


VikkoTheTusken #7 Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:17 AM

    URoRRuR'R'R

  • Players
  • 19179 battles
  • 3,550
  • [III-H]
  • Member since:
    01-03-2015

View Posttankeatingtiger, on 23 January 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

 

that's what the video is about

 

I didn't look at your spoiler. That's all on me. oops. Im editing my comment. 

 


Rage Quit? Bad Teams? MM got you down? Click HERE for my Blitz Guide to better tanking

Twitter     Facebook     YouTube

My presence here on the forums is over. You can find me at the links above and on various Discord servers. If you're curious or feel like trolling, peruse [This Thread]

 


RoadKutter #8 Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:05 AM

    Polish Demolish

  • Players
  • 30132 battles
  • 4,222
  • [III-H]
  • Member since:
    07-08-2014

View Postzeur0sis, on 23 January 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

Lol.  This thread goes from Taco Bell fries to what is Linux.   

 

seriously I never heard of Linux before 

                         

                                    Retired due to a Noob storm, shutters are up and the hamster has been put down!

 

                

                                                                  


olddatsunfan #9 Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 33029 battles
  • 2,548
  • [-CFR-]
  • Member since:
    06-02-2015
Linux is an operating system for computers, it's public domain and works on a variety of cpu's and equipment ...

Thatguyujustmet #10 Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:16 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 10518 battles
  • 955
  • [XWING]
  • Member since:
    06-14-2016
Why do you need mods?  Just get Steam for Linux.


HugGigolo #11 Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:57 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 16416 battles
  • 647
  • [AGILE]
  • Member since:
    07-28-2016
IMHO the better question is, what does WG have to gain by porting WoTB to Linux?

Ericmopar #12 Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 3219 battles
  • 2,212
  • Member since:
    04-10-2017

View Postolddatsunfan, on 23 January 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

Linux is an operating system for computers, it's public domain and works on a variety of cpu's and equipment ...

 

Yes and they have less fubar between updates than Windows 10. If I wasn't a gamer, I'd no longer be on  "Foul up your drivers, 90 day cycle Windows 10"

I liked MS up until now. 

I'm sick of them installing Nvidia, Sound and other drivers on a regular basis, in a half assed way, that fouls up my PC.

If I could do like the old days and just install security updates, I'd be plenty happy with 10.


Old and Treacherous Flying Monkey.

 

 


Ericmopar #13 Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 3219 battles
  • 2,212
  • Member since:
    04-10-2017

View PostHugGigolo, on 23 January 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

IMHO the better question is, what does WG have to gain by porting WoTB to Linux?

 

Since the core code has to be already developed for Android, maybe a noticeable increase in users.

 

Android, Linux, Unix, Chrome OS are all very closely related at the kernel level.


Old and Treacherous Flying Monkey.

 

 


Ericmopar #14 Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 3219 battles
  • 2,212
  • Member since:
    04-10-2017

View PostThatguyujustmet, on 23 January 2018 - 11:16 PM, said:

Why do you need mods?  Just get Steam for Linux.

 

It doesn't work that way.

Only Linux games run on Steam OS and Steam for Linux.

 

I wonder if the new game engine for WoTPC will be cross platform like Vulkan?


Old and Treacherous Flying Monkey.

 

 


HugGigolo #15 Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:02 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 16416 battles
  • 647
  • [AGILE]
  • Member since:
    07-28-2016

View PostEricmopar, on 24 January 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

 

Since the core code has to be already developed for Android, maybe a noticeable increase in users.

 

Android, Linux, Unix, Chrome OS are all very closely related at the kernel level.

 

Compared to iOS, Android and Windows I doubt Linux would even register as a blip. Only a small percentage of players use Kb/M anyway. The percentage of PC gamers that game on Linux was under 1% in the last survey I saw. You're asking for WG to support a platform chosen by tiny percentage of an already minority group. And it's highly likely that any Linux user interested in the game already has access to it. So no, I don't think they'd see a noticeable increase at all.

 

If you really want to play it on Linux, there are already ways to run Android apps on Linux and even Windows. I'm sure you can figure it out.

 

Edit: just looked up the latest Steam survey and Linux gamers account for 0.26%. Remember that statistic excludes the mobile player majority. Just no.


Edited by HugGigolo, 25 January 2018 - 12:06 AM.


Ericmopar #16 Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:57 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 3219 battles
  • 2,212
  • Member since:
    04-10-2017

View PostHugGigolo, on 24 January 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

 

Compared to iOS, Android and Windows I doubt Linux would even register as a blip. Only a small percentage of players use Kb/M anyway. The percentage of PC gamers that game on Linux was under 1% in the last survey I saw. You're asking for WG to support a platform chosen by tiny percentage of an already minority group. And it's highly likely that any Linux user interested in the game already has access to it. So no, I don't think they'd see a noticeable increase at all.

 

If you really want to play it on Linux, there are already ways to run Android apps on Linux and even Windows. I'm sure you can figure it out.

 

Edit: just looked up the latest Steam survey and Linux gamers account for 0.26%. Remember that statistic excludes the mobile player majority. Just no.

 

Yeah, but it's because they don't write hardly any games for Linux. I've talked to quite a few people that are finally ready to ditch Windows after experiences with 10.

There are quite a few people that have tried Linux and like it, but they are gamers and stick with Windows.

The reason is that Microbrains simply refuses to allow anything other than MS products to be detected by their bootloader, and the Linux one gets tampered with by Win 10 updates.

I never had a boot sector problem when dual booting, until Windows 10 came along.

 

It will take awhile, but eventually new games will be written for cross platform software like Vulkan and Linux and other users will finally be able to play more games.

 


Edited by Ericmopar, 25 January 2018 - 05:58 AM.

Old and Treacherous Flying Monkey.

 

 


HugGigolo #17 Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:16 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 16416 battles
  • 647
  • [AGILE]
  • Member since:
    07-28-2016

View PostEricmopar, on 24 January 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

 

Yeah, but it's because they don't write hardly any games for Linux. I've talked to quite a few people that are finally ready to ditch Windows after experiences with 10.

There are quite a few people that have tried Linux and like it, but they are gamers and stick with Windows.

The reason is that Microbrains simply refuses to allow anything other than MS products to be detected by their bootloader, and the Linux one gets tampered with by Win 10 updates.

I never had a boot sector problem when dual booting, until Windows 10 came along.

 

It will take awhile, but eventually new games will be written for cross platform software like Vulkan and Linux and other users will finally be able to play more games.

 

 

That leads neatly back to my original post. If (very big if) and when that happens, I'm sure WG will support it. Until then....

Jewish_Overlord #18 Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:57 AM

    Private

  • Players
  • 352 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    12-13-2014

View PostHugGigolo, on 25 January 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

 

Compared to iOS, Android and Windows I doubt Linux would even register as a blip. Only a small percentage of players use Kb/M anyway. The percentage of PC gamers that game on Linux was under 1% in the last survey I saw. You're asking for WG to support a platform chosen by tiny percentage of an already minority group. And it's highly likely that any Linux user interested in the game already has access to it. So no, I don't think they'd see a noticeable increase at all.

 

If you really want to play it on Linux, there are already ways to run Android apps on Linux and even Windows. I'm sure you can figure it out.

 

Edit: just looked up the latest Steam survey and Linux gamers account for 0.26%. Remember that statistic excludes the mobile player majority. Just no.

 

 

+1 for Linux! I don't spend money on games that don't support Linux.
 

How many windows users download a single game then never buy another again? How many download a free to play game then never spend money on it? How many Linux users are registered as windows users because they are using WINE which runs a windows like environment?

 

You are better off looking at the average amount spent per user of windows vs linux. I know personally I own 150+ games now and so many paradox DLC's that I lost count. If it isn't on Linux I don't buy it. I'd chuck $100 right now at WOT if it worked on Linux.



Dan_Deerso #19 Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:34 PM

    Tankologist

  • Players
  • 21079 battles
  • 3,534
  • [MOMS]
  • Member since:
    11-13-2013

View PostEricmopar, on 24 January 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

 

Yes and they have less fubar between updates than Windows 10. If I wasn't a gamer, I'd no longer be on  "Foul up your drivers, 90 day cycle Windows 10"

I liked MS up until now. 

I'm sick of them installing Nvidia, Sound and other drivers on a regular basis, in a half assed way, that fouls up my PC.

If I could do like the old days and just install security updates, I'd be plenty happy with 10.

 

I've been making due by neutering Windows Update. Seems to be working so far.






Also tagged with Linux, Android

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users