Bugs or peculiarities?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

RibbleStripe #1 Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:19 AM

Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 207 battles

Tankers,

In this topic we will touch on a very important and complicated issue—peculiarities of game universe simulations, which are usually seen as bugs. These issues mostly deal with gameplay and may affect the course of battle. In addition, they contradict our vision of the real world. We are going to shed some light on the reasons why such situations occur in the game and why it takes time to fix them.

Shells going through a tank (tracers going through objects)

Such in-game situations occur because the tracer and animation of the flying shell are drawn in the client with a small delay as compared to the real speed (~80% of the speed). The purpose of such a delay is to avoid the so-called “visual overshooting”: when a tracer is displayed beyond the impact point after the shell hits an object. As a result, when firing at a moving tank (especially, when a shell with low velocity is used), it may seem like the shell goes through the tank. A similar situation may occur, when the tracer of an enemy shell goes through material objects upon destruction.

The flight of a shell is simulated on the server at every step of in-game virtual time, as the server is unable to determine in advance at which point the shell will hit an object. When the shell hits the target, a separate command is sent to the game client. So it is impossible to display the shell and tracer in the client without a delay.

Camera swinging

Some touch-input devices have certain peculiarities in the operation of the screen, which can sometimes incorrectly process touch commands. This results in the incorrect operation of the controls and camera.

This situation is rather difficult to fix because if commands coming from the touch screen are “smoothed out”, tanks will lose their dynamics, which will have an adverse effect on the game process as a whole. So we are looking for a compromise solution in order to ensure a comfortable game for most players.

The reticle “sticking” to material objects

Such situations may occur in the following cases:

- In Arcade Mode, when you aim the marker at nearby vertical objects (except tanks), the gun intentionally ignores the marker to preserve a horizontal position and to be able to quickly take a shot after driving from cover. This is an example of game specifics, not a bug.

- In Sniper Mode, the edges of objects displayed on the screen may not exactly coincide with the real ones: the highest level of detail is applied to close objects, while for the purposes of physical calculations and aiming, the lowest level of detail is used. This is implemented in order to reduce the load on the CPU and improve game performance.

Incorrect operation of auto-aim (including situations when many tanks gather in a small area of the map)

In some cases, vehicles captured by auto-aim do not correspond to the player’s plans. We have tested different mechanics for auto-aiming, and the current version proved to be the most suitable one. Unfortunately, none of the models of the auto-aim behavior is able to predict the thoughts and intentions of the player, so it is impossible to fully eliminate such situations.

The tank being stuck inside different objects on the map

Due to the specifics of map terrain, static objects, and tank collision models, as well as physical restrictions (related to the accuracy of simulation), situations sometimes occur where a tank gets inside objects or gets stuck in them and is unable to move. When the tank gets stuck, it is affected by buoyancy forces from several sides, which exceed the propulsive force of the engine. When the tank gets inside closed objects, buoyancy forces compensating each other are in effect, so the tank gets the ability to pass through the wall.

As these bugs occur in specific places on maps and relate to particular tanks, they cannot be fixed altogether at once. All reports of such bugs are examined thoroughly, and then the respective fixes are made to the map or tank model. Nevertheless, new issues are regularly found. So we work on improving the accuracy of game physics, which will allow us to, if not to completely eliminate this problem, then significantly decrease the number of occurrences. The serious reworking of such a complicated in-game aspect like physics takes a lot of time for objective reasons.

Keep in mind that this article is made not for listing all the ingame problems but for explaining the most frequent issues which players consider as bugs. 

I_Maverick_I #2 Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 14604 battles
  • [CRUEL]
Nice read. Hopefully this'll stop most of the tinfoil haters complaining how WG hates them specifically.

Dan_Deerso #3 Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 18736 battles
  • [MOMS]
There is also a mildly annoying bug where the framerate of my device dips whenever the first enemy is spotted in a game. Happens both on my Windows 10 laptop and my Google Pixel phone.

I_Maverick_I #4 Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:41 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 14604 battles
  • [CRUEL]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 14 February 2018 - 12:38 AM, said:

There is also a mildly annoying bug where the framerate of my device dips whenever the first enemy is spotted in a game. Happens both on my Windows 10 laptop and my Google Pixel phone.

yeah that'll happen on my iPhone 6S as well. i know it's not my ping as I'll be keeping an eye on it the whole time.

Tiger_2_Ausf_B #5 Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11866 battles
  • [RUSE]

View PostRibbleStripe, on 14 February 2018 - 08:19 AM, said:

Tankers,

In this topic we will touch on a very important and complicated issue—peculiarities of game universe simulations, which are usually seen as bugs. These issues mostly deal with gameplay and may affect the course of battle. In addition, they contradict our vision of the real world. We are going to shed some light on the reasons why such situations occur in the game and why it takes time to fix them.

Shells going through a tank (tracers going through objects)

Such in-game situations occur because the tracer and animation of the flying shell are drawn in the client with a small delay as compared to the real speed (~80% of the speed). The purpose of such a delay is to avoid the so-called “visual overshooting”: when a tracer is displayed beyond the impact point after the shell hits an object. As a result, when firing at a moving tank (especially, when a shell with low velocity is used), it may seem like the shell goes through the tank. A similar situation may occur, when the tracer of an enemy shell goes through material objects upon destruction.

The flight of a shell is simulated on the server at every step of in-game virtual time, as the server is unable to determine in advance at which point the shell will hit an object. When the shell hits the target, a separate command is sent to the game client. So it is impossible to display the shell and tracer in the client without a delay.

Camera swinging

Some touch-input devices have certain peculiarities in the operation of the screen, which can sometimes incorrectly process touch commands. This results in the incorrect operation of the controls and camera.

This situation is rather difficult to fix because if commands coming from the touch screen are “smoothed out”, tanks will lose their dynamics, which will have an adverse effect on the game process as a whole. So we are looking for a compromise solution in order to ensure a comfortable game for most players.

The reticle “sticking” to material objects

Such situations may occur in the following cases:

- In Arcade Mode, when you aim the marker at nearby vertical objects (except tanks), the gun intentionally ignores the marker to preserve a horizontal position and to be able to quickly take a shot after driving from cover. This is an example of game specifics, not a bug.

- In Sniper Mode, the edges of objects displayed on the screen may not exactly coincide with the real ones: the highest level of detail is applied to close objects, while for the purposes of physical calculations and aiming, the lowest level of detail is used. This is implemented in order to reduce the load on the CPU and improve game performance.

Incorrect operation of auto-aim (including situations when many tanks gather in a small area of the map)

In some cases, vehicles captured by auto-aim do not correspond to the player’s plans. We have tested different mechanics for auto-aiming, and the current version proved to be the most suitable one. Unfortunately, none of the models of the auto-aim behavior is able to predict the thoughts and intentions of the player, so it is impossible to fully eliminate such situations.

The tank being stuck inside different objects on the map

Due to the specifics of map terrain, static objects, and tank collision models, as well as physical restrictions (related to the accuracy of simulation), situations sometimes occur where a tank gets inside objects or gets stuck in them and is unable to move. When the tank gets stuck, it is affected by buoyancy forces from several sides, which exceed the propulsive force of the engine. When the tank gets inside closed objects, buoyancy forces compensating each other are in effect, so the tank gets the ability to pass through the wall.

As these bugs occur in specific places on maps and relate to particular tanks, they cannot be fixed altogether at once. All reports of such bugs are examined thoroughly, and then the respective fixes are made to the map or tank model. Nevertheless, new issues are regularly found. So we work on improving the accuracy of game physics, which will allow us to, if not to completely eliminate this problem, then significantly decrease the number of occurrences. The serious reworking of such a complicated in-game aspect like physics takes a lot of time for objective reasons.

Keep in mind that this article is made not for listing all the ingame problems but for explaining the most frequent issues which players consider as bugs. 

Something makes me think you watched the latest video on my YT channel “RUSE clan WoTB” where I showed many bugs in the game. If you did I appreciate it because you guys actually listen and hear the community a lot more than people would think. 

CrazyHunter13 #6 Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6695 battles
  • [BRONY]
How about ghost shells? The random shell taking a sudden nose dive as soon as it leaves the barrel?

djhiz #7 Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15073 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 14 February 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

I second this; last one/two updates it's gotten to almost a 1/1.5 second freeze of my client every single game, which has on many occasions cost me huge amounts of hit-points as I drive OVER the ridge I wanted to stop behind...

"Common sense is not so common"

- Voltaire Jingles

RommelTanker #8 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 1432 battles
  • [FLPN]

I'd like to insert another bug I've noticed for a while now.

Whenever I get onto maps with falling snow (Himmelsdorf and Winter Malinovka) my computer will begin lagging frame rate at an insane rate (I run the game at 60FPS on maximum GFX, snowing maps drop it to 15-20FPS [!!!]). I'd like to hear what causes this and if there's any fix.

It's particularly bad when I enter sniper mode.

Much thanks to SpartacusDiablo for the cool signature

Don't click this link unless you wanna see my stats!

We must purge the Favelas! We must eradicate Blackwood!

My PFP is the Warface Team logo from the F2P FPS from Crytek.

Ask me for advice any time. I'm always willing to spread some crackpot advice.

bg2b #9 Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

M4 Lifestyle

• Players
  • 16168 battles
  • [SPUD]
I understand that auto-aim (on mobile) can be complicated, but one situation that causes problems seems like it should be avoidable.  Say the user has put the reticle on a target and that target is highlighted, and that the user then stops adjusting the reticle and only operates movement controls, ammo selection, fire button, etc.  Currently the reticle can still jump to another tank (e.g., when another tank drives in front of the target).  I don't think that should be allowed; as long as the original target is still spotted and the user is not touching to adjust the reticle, the target tank should not change.

reluctanttheist #10 Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:11 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 21968 battles
  • [III-H]

Ribble - thanks so much for this thread.  I appreciate the technical constraints behind some of these problems.

I have the occasional excessive view angle change when playing on PC/Steam/Win7 when switching from sniper to arcade mode.  It happens on my iPad too, just less often and with a less drastic change in view angle.

I am having the spotting bug where as soon as a red is spotted for the first time in a game, the game hangs for a brief moment.  If a lot of reds are spotted at once, the pause is longer, and can be the better part of a second.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

Sepp_Ulrich #11 Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 28675 battles
  • [21DAK]

How about fixing ghost shells? Like two battles ago, when my Helsing´s twin cannon shot an AMX 13-75 at close range, with auto aim engaged, with the 13-75 slowly moving in a straight line... and nothing happened, nothing. And this happens so many times in the game...

The Angel of Verdun

Sturmgeschutz1 #12 Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:51 AM

Jagd mich nicht!!

• Players
  • 45546 battles
  • [D_1]

One other issue I continue to experience along with all of these listed is fast backing. Trying to back quickly to a secured position when involved in a rocking fight going back and forth or leading enemy into an ambush in reverse. Vehicles drive fine forward but if a reverse is needed it holds for almost 2 seconds! That’s enough time for a hit to be taken if there are more than one enemy in close proximity. I use a mobile. FPS 30 / pint average is 60 (when it’s working). I’ve noticed my game plays better when using data as opposed to wifi. Even then if the wifi is perfect and pushing strong it will still have multiple inngame issues like the ones discussed already. Along with that. Delays of shots leaving, fire buttons not responding or responding late ( and again when fps / ping are good), flyovers of rounds going around the clock instead of center mass where recticle is fixed and neither vehicle is moving. Stopping and getting dragged forward or in reverse. Vehicles swerving when straight backing, barrels jumping up in spinning fights (T-67 and T25 ) just to name a couple, or when turning corners and v-stabs are installed. Rare parts riiiiiight yeah. Optics not covering distances advertised, shells not damaging as schematics say are penetration / damage values. Chat needs auto translators installed ( tiered of que, Hola, and juntos), then seeing these guys sit. Call out basic ideas in battle and any language away from English and they’re lost in translation. Game has too many glitches. Not investing and with that I feel along with past updates is why we’re losing players. Right now.. the average win rate I’ve seen on my teams have been between 39-47% at best. Even in tier X. I’m at 51.12 was at 54.8 a few months ago. So if these issues aren’t addressed we can probably expect to see a continuing 40% game on here. Why invest in it? I don’t anymore. Haven’t in a long time. Crayon squad best get it fixed. 

wwing #13 Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:27 AM

Either We Win Or They Do

• Players
  • 33856 battles

View PostCrazyHunter13, on 14 February 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

How about ghost shells? The random shell taking a sudden nose dive as soon as it leaves the barrel?

Did happen to me quite often.  The shell just fell short in front of target.

RommelTanker #14 Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 1432 battles
  • [FLPN]

View PostSturmgeschutz1, on 14 February 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

One other issue I continue to experience along with all of these listed is fast backing. Trying to back quickly to a secured position when involved in a rocking fight going back and forth or leading enemy into an ambush in reverse. Vehicles drive fine forward but if a reverse is needed it holds for almost 2 seconds! That’s enough time for a hit to be taken if there are more than one enemy in close proximity. I use a mobile. FPS 30 / pint average is 60 (when it’s working). I’ve noticed my game plays better when using data as opposed to wifi. Even then if the wifi is perfect and pushing strong it will still have multiple inngame issues like the ones discussed already. Along with that. Delays of shots leaving, fire buttons not responding or responding late ( and again when fps / ping are good), flyovers of rounds going around the clock instead of center mass where recticle is fixed and neither vehicle is moving. Stopping and getting dragged forward or in reverse. Vehicles swerving when straight backing, barrels jumping up in spinning fights (T-67 and T25 ) just to name a couple, or when turning corners and v-stabs are installed. Rare parts riiiiiight yeah. Optics not covering distances advertised, shells not damaging as schematics say are penetration / damage values. Chat needs auto translators installed ( tiered of que, Hola, and juntos), then seeing these guys sit. Call out basic ideas in battle and any language away from English and they’re lost in translation. Game has too many glitches. Not investing and with that I feel along with past updates is why we’re losing players. Right now.. the average win rate I’ve seen on my teams have been between 39-47% at best. Even in tier X. I’m at 51.12 was at 54.8 a few months ago. So if these issues aren’t addressed we can probably expect to see a continuing 40% game on here. Why invest in it? I don’t anymore. Haven’t in a long time. Crayon squad best get it fixed. 

The whole reverse thing is an intended feature. In real life, tanks don't stop on a dime. These are 50 ton machines traveling at 50km/h, they'll need time to brake and put the transmission in reverse.

Much thanks to SpartacusDiablo for the cool signature

Don't click this link unless you wanna see my stats!

We must purge the Favelas! We must eradicate Blackwood!

My PFP is the Warface Team logo from the F2P FPS from Crytek.

Ask me for advice any time. I'm always willing to spread some crackpot advice.

Dan_Deerso #15 Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:37 AM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 18736 battles
  • [MOMS]

View PostSturmgeschutz1, on 14 February 2018 - 11:51 PM, said:

Spoiler

Sounds like your WiFi connection is causing most of this.

Read this please:

Spoiler

XLManicJBlood #16 Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:04 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1786 battles
  • [FL_RE]
I hope the bugs gets fixed. I had a problem in which sometimes my game would glitch out and I couldn't see anything in settings, enemy name tags, etc. I've had it happen to me about 5 times now and it is only on my mac not on phone. I have to restart the game, thus missing out on a game that I could potentially win for a minute.

Edited by XLManicJBlood, 23 February 2018 - 03:04 AM.

-LightTheWay

Only_Monica #17 Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Players
  • 25858 battles
  • [MSELF]

I understand how you explained "Ghost shells"

When my cannon is inside another tank and the shell literally disappears neither bouncing nor penetrating my commander doesn't react what is that?

SpartacusDiablo #18 Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14363 battles
  • [VF-1]

View PostMayoNasalSpray, on 23 February 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

I understand how you explained "Ghost shells"

When my cannon is inside another tank and the shell literally disappears neither bouncing nor penetrating my commander doesn't react what is that?

Snowman_60 #19 Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

Not a real snowman

• Players
  • 28842 battles
  • [USSR]

Very technical answers to very simple questions.  Not sure I understand.  In my line of work, we have to communicate with the public on a daily basis about very technical engineering and environmental studies.  Plain language would be helpful here.

qcdrillbit #20 Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:10 AM

Private

• Players
  • 11466 battles
Any problem since new update Like the screen Go crazy happen to me Like 4 time i was aiming to shoot and all of sudden turret do a 180 dégrée but in 0.00001 seconds really annoying Nevers happen before updates

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users