How Not to Suck 101 (Revision #15)

Tips & Tricks Basic Guides Cool Stuff

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: What's this do? (53 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Was this helpful?

1. Yes (34 votes [64.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.15%

2. No u (3 votes [5.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.66%

3. This is troll post, you lier (10 votes [18.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.87%

4. Too long, only read halfway, my b (6 votes [11.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

Vote Hide poll

Fu_Manchu_ #21 Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11595 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostHumanCoookie, on 07 March 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

True, but that aimed towards those who spend almost 100k-150k on ammo. There’s a Blitz YouTuber I watch that has extreme credit problems, and every time they buy a new tank they max out the ammo and become poor again. Plus, pretty sure ammo adds some weight to the tank.

This is the first time I have heard of ammo weight adding to the tank's weight. I would love to know if this is true or not.

As for credits, if you are running out of credits then you likely have other problems and rationing ammo is not the solution. Running out of ammo because you wanted to save credits is just plain dumb. Grind some credits and then run a full ammo load.

Posit1ve is 100% right that, other than the initial ammo load (which you get back when you sell anyway), you only pay for the ammo you use.

AKA HanYolo_.

Andromeda_74 #22 Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:14 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11364 battles
  • [SEA-B]
What about maps? Unless there’s a guide somewhere already? It seems when I started several months ago it was obvious where to go, now that’s all flown out the window and I’m confused. 

Fu_Manchu_ #23 Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11595 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostAndromeda_74, on 07 March 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

What about maps? Unless there’s a guide somewhere already? It seems when I started several months ago it was obvious where to go, now that’s all flown out the window and I’m confused. 

I believe DMG has been doing a series of map guide videos. One thing to remember though is that map metas are somewhat tier-dependent.

AKA HanYolo_.

HumanCoookie #24 Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

Milk Before Cereal

• Players
  • 19858 battles
  • [_STR8]

View PostAndromeda_74, on 07 March 2018 - 10:14 PM, said:

i will be adding some basic map strats very soon, but DMG’s are top notch. Mine will be the basics, spotting, where to go, etc.

Edited by HumanCoookie, 07 March 2018 - 10:49 PM.

Suggestions Thread for game improvement (now on Google Docs)

HNTS 101 [Normal Edition] (Due to be on Google Docs)

HNTS 101 [Map Edition]

HNTS 101 [Tank Edition]

also i lerned to hyperlink yay

FlukeStarBucker73 #25 Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:26 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1917 battles

View PostHumanCoookie, on 07 March 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

How Not to Suck 101

Hello, I’m HumanCoookie from NA server. Some of you probably know me already for um... stuff on the forums. Anyway, I decided to create this thread to help players new, vet, or really anyone in general as I'm sure someone will learn at least one thing from this. Really, this is more focused towards new and unskilled players and to help them become better at World of Tanks Blitz. I will continue to revise and add more to this (like my post in Suggestions and Feedback). I'm making this as I go as events in matches inspired most of these tips. Some things I cover won't go that far into detail and I will miss them to try and simplify some complex topics. Also, take note: Numbering of the suggestions below isn't related to each of their worth (least to greatest, etc). I HIGHLY recommend watching the PC WoT's YouTube channel as they provide amazing explanations about simple things in the game. 

Table with Some Content

1. YOLOing

2. Shell/Ammo Loadouts

3. Spotting

4. Be Cool and Stay Away From the Bad

5. Keep Calm and Play On

6. Red Ping? Stop Yourself

7. Sacrificing HP to Get Damage

1. YOLOing

YOLOing is a pretty big problem even though it shouldn't be. For those who don't understand what YOLOing is, it means You Only Live Once, where a player will rush the enemy team and 9.9/10, will die in a matter of seconds. Never YOLO, it doesn't matter what tank class you are driving (heavy, light, medium, or tank destroyer), just never YOLO. Instead, wherever you are going, stop and linger there for a few seconds and look at the match timer. If 15s-20s have passed and no enemy tanks are spotted along your flank, they probably didn't go the way you are. Then again, if the enemy team are composed of slow tanks, then maybe 25s is how long it will take for the enemy to arrive to where you are. Once it is decided safe, then go on about your day. On the map Dead Rail, the higher ground (the hill) is where is happens a lot. Someone in a fast tank goes there and sees no one so they don't slow down and start going down the enemy side of the hill where the entire enemy team is and they die a quick death. Instead, they should've stopped and waited there for a bit, in which the enemy would've gotten spotted a few seconds later and then our team member can retreat to cover without getting hit by the opposing team. 

2. ****Shell/Ammo Loadouts 

Using the correct shell type (AP, APCR, HE, etc.) on certain targets can decide whether they die to you or not. Most commonly, a player should choose more of the standard rounds (usually AP) than any other round the tank can carry. Also, you shouldn't max out the ammo capacity for every tank. For example, if the maximum amount of shells in total is 80, then don't buy 80 rounds, buy maybe 35-50. If the tank being used is a KV-1 then I would buy 25 AP, 10 APCR, and 5 HE. Enough standard to fight the enemy team, enough premium ammo to fight higher tier tanks, and not as much HE since not that many tanks will be able to be penetrated by HE. I didn't buy all the ammo to max it out which saves me money and didn't buy unnecessary amounts of certain ammo types. Another ammo topic is that some shell types will work better on different areas of an enemy tank. Let's use another example to simplify things, a KV-1 firing at a Sherman's front hull. The KV-1 should use AP since AP can easily penetrate the Sherman and will do a decent amount of damage. The KV-1 wouldn't use APCR because since the Sherman's armor doesn't require the use of higher penetrating shells, it would be useless using them because it would waste credits/gold and premium rounds do less damage than standard, resulting in a lower DPM. Lastly, the KV-1 obliviously wouldn't use HE since HE won't penetrate the Sherman's hull so only splash damage on the outside of the tank will occur, resulting in maybe 50 HP damage. HE is only useful if it can penetrate enemy tanks or to track enemies quickly. Straying away from our example, HEAT and HE cannot go through soft cover (fences, sandbags, walls, etc., soft cover is also anything can be destroyed by the tank). Those shells will hit the soft cover and destroy it, but not go through them like AP and APCR. Spaced armor is also something HE and HEAT cannot penetrate. The Super Pershing's hull is spaced armor, it's a slab of armor, a gap of air, and then another slap of armor. HEAT might penetrate the first layer of armor, but lose all of it's penetration power and fail to penetrate the second and final piece of armor. Also, HEAT and HE don't do that much damage if they hit the tracks of an enemy. The tracks will absorb the rounds, resulting in HEAT probably "bouncing" and HE doing exterior tank damage on the tracks (which will be a low number). Also, HEAT and HE won't lose their penetration values over any distance. APCR and AP will, but APCR will lose more penetration power than AP over a greater distance. Premium ammo is sometimes called "pramo" and yes, there is a clan named after that. 

3. Spotting

Playing in a medium or light tank means you need to spot, it's pretty much your role in the battlefield. At the start of the game go to an area where you will be able to spot the enemy, once you and your team know where the enemy is going it will be easier to counter their moves. Also, spotting for TDs is extremely helpful since they deal massive damage in shot (looking at you ISU, <3). Trying to spot enemies at the very start of the game is one of the best things you can do for your team. Enemy scouts might go to the same positions as you go to, though, so be prepared to defend yourself. 

4. Be Cool and Stay Away From the Bad

Staying positive and not raging in a match can be the difference between a loss or win. Be positive, encourage your team to win instead of saying, "We lost" the second the battle starts, as your team might not want to play as well as they might see no point of playing because they will apparently lose because of one person's observations. Be nice and don't be mean to your team mates. This is a team game, not a single player 1v7 game. Give kind reminders to your team to go a certain direction or to do this instead of that instead of calling them names and writing in all caps. We probably all have been guilty of this, but it's a bad habit that shouldn't be maintained. This same rule applies to out of game, too. Thank your team mates after battle if to you they played extremely well and carried the game. Personally, I've recently just started to do this and I've been noticing improvements to how many less complaining messages I get in out of game chat and the more praises I've been getting. 

5. Keep Calm and Play On 

During intense moments like 1v1s or 2v5s take a deep breath and calm down. Being stressed can cause you to make wrongful decisions and cost you a win. We all have probably gotten the sweaty palms and increased heart rate in a 1v1. There's a simple trick to how to win these, though player skill is also a factor, being rational and being calm is another. 

6. Red Ping? Stop Yourself

If the ping meter shows red, don't even think about playing. All it will do is cause pain for you, your team, and your stats. What will happen is that the team will get furious, at least privately. Plus, it's a waste of time flying in the sky and floating around under the map. For those that are confused by ping, in the garage there are 3 colors: Green, red, and yellow. Ping is how much lag you have, green means you have minimal game lag, yellow means it's unstable and going between green and red, and red means you will fly around the map and take a look at the map from inside a mountain. Also, inside a match at the bottom left corner, high numbers means that your ping is bad and low numbers mean you are fine. Anyway, if you see red, just don't play, wait a bit for your internet to fix itself and when you get green ping back. Getting AFK's every game is extremely annoying to having to deal with. 

7. Sacrificing HP to Get Damage and Win

Sometimes sacrificing HP to kill an enemy or save a team mate can decide between a win or a loss. For example, there was a battle where it seemed like a definite defeat with an enemy ISU sniping my team and destroying them. When the ISU got spotted, they got hit and became a one shot and backed away from the battlefield while another enemy was rushing me. Ignoring the other enemy, I tunneled and killed the ISU, taking a lot of damage (later surviving), but saving the game by taking out the most important threat. Sometimes to take damage you must give damage to the opposing team. 

8 through x. (will do something later)

Nice

K, so thanks for reading this if you did and I hope you learned something and will try to use it in the game. I will add more to this and edit this later for grammatical and factual errors, as I like to write things at 1 AM and too lazy to do things. Feedback would be nice, any suggestions that I see that are reasonable I will probably put up in this post with credit. 

EDITS:

*Edit 1:

So, what if you do everything right 'most' of the time, yet you CONSISTANTLY get robbed by RNG and MM? 

Edited by FlukeStarBucker73, 08 March 2018 - 12:26 AM.

SpartacusDiablo #26 Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:30 AM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 31521 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostFlukeStarBucker73, on 07 March 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

So, what if you do everything right 'most' of the time, yet you CONSISTANTLY get robbed by RNG and MM? 

Are you serious?

Edited by SpartacusDiablo, 08 March 2018 - 12:30 AM.

Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.

HumanCoookie #27 Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

Milk Before Cereal

• Players
  • 19858 battles
  • [_STR8]

View PostFlukeStarBucker73, on 08 March 2018 - 12:26 AM, said:

Keep playing and become skilled where you don’t need to rely on RNG most of the time. That sounds mean, but it’s the hard truth. Practice and learning more about WoTB and/or WoT (similar concepts between the two) will reward you in the end.

HNTS 101 [Map Edition]

HNTS 101 [Tank Edition]

Tackywheat1 #28 Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:37 AM

the one and only ELC

• Players
  • 13969 battles
  • [T-T-T]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 07 March 2018 - 02:27 AM, said:

I approve.

Except for the bit about not going in with full ammo. That's just dumb. The game will auto-resupply all the ammo you fired; not the ammo you carried in total. so it doesn't really matter if you have 80 shells in your tank or 50 if you only fire 20, since you'll only spend credits for the 20 you fired. You never know when those extra shells will come in handy. No need to handicap yourself by artificially reducing your ammo capacity. On a lot of tanks, they won't carry enough shells for you to have all the ammo of a single ammo type you might want to fire, and on some tanks (like bat chat) you might run out of ammo altogether. 

Besides, those 10k extra credits you spend initially to fill up your tank to the brim with ammo will be recouped when you sell the tank anyway. 

This... not loading full ammo sometimes can cost you a win.....

GIF by spartacusdiablo

Don't play the game anymore. If you see me online, it is most likely someone else playing. I'm back

Permanent credit deficit

Triode757 #29 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:31 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17368 battles
  • [XWING]

View PostSpartacusDiablo, on 07 March 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

Are you serious?

MYYYY EYYYYESSS!!!

edmcdermott #30 Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:40 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 40068 battles
  • [NTP]

It's interesting but I really always though ammo weight was a factor maybe it's just crew skills but when your the last one left I always thought that when you are last one left and counting shells on one finger the tank feels lighter even a heavy 

PanzertroopenVT #31 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11878 battles
  • [PRDE]
Had three he rounds "bounce" my crew leader is on percocets again.

Panzerwaffe, later also Panzertruppe (German for "Armoured Force", "Armoured Arm" or "Tank Force". Waffe[combat] "arm"

Hey you—yes you, with all that moist, succulent meat in your mouth. Give all of it to me. succulentnmeals!

https://youtu.be/XebF2cgmFmU

Fu_Manchu_ #32 Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11595 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View Postedmcdermott, on 08 March 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

It's interesting but I really always though ammo weight was a factor maybe it's just crew skills but when your the last one left I always thought that when you are last one left and counting shells on one finger the tank feels lighter even a heavy 

Well, it could be tested fairly easily. Just jump in a training room and time a tank along a certain stretch of road from a dead stop to full speed, first with a full load and then with no ammo. I'm not likely to do this myself, but I would be interested to hear the result if someone test it.

To be honest, my guess is that even if it does make a difference, it will be so small that I would never risk running out of ammo to gain the extra acceleration.

AKA HanYolo_.

Derpomagix #33 Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 24708 battles
  • [SPCEX]

View PostFu_Manchu_, on 08 March 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

Well, it could be tested fairly easily. Just jump in a training room and time a tank along a certain stretch of road from a dead stop to full speed, first with a full load and then with no ammo. I'm not likely to do this myself, but I would be interested to hear the result if someone test it.

To be honest, my guess is that even if it does make a difference, it will be so small that I would never risk running out of ammo to gain the extra acceleration.

I tested this in my KpfPz70. It was a second faster with no ammo.

Of course this can't be 100% accurate but really, I think you'd be safer just putting the full loadout. It doesn't make that much of a difference, if at all.

Derpomagix (formerly PlaneCrazy01)

If you have less than 5000 battles, it is NOT COOL to have a tier 10. Having a Tier 10 does not make you good. If you think you're good, you probably aren't.

"To improve is to change. To be perfect is to change often." - Winston Churchill, when addressing a large crowd of noobs and TD drivers.

"Boom! One day your tank goes boom! Boom! BOOM!!!!" - Thompson and Thomson

HumanCoookie #34 Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

Milk Before Cereal

• Players
  • 19858 battles
  • [_STR8]
Revised

HNTS 101 [Map Edition]

HNTS 101 [Tank Edition]

LtRaseiniai #35 Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 76443 battles
  • [EWENS]

I took my Pziv for a full lap on copperfield.

Full load of Ammo took 2-3 seconds longer than a tank with no ammo.   

Some spots I was going noticeably faster.

AmX Bis was eaxactly one second faster with no ammo.

KV2 I got the same time.

Edited by DeborahKay, 09 March 2018 - 11:34 AM.

Fu_Manchu_ #36 Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11595 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostDerpomagix, on 08 March 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

I tested this in my KpfPz70. It was a second faster with no ammo.

Of course this can't be 100% accurate but really, I think you'd be safer just putting the full loadout. It doesn't make that much of a difference, if at all.

View PostDeborahKay, on 09 March 2018 - 04:20 AM, said:

I took my Pziv for a full lap on copperfield.

Full load of Ammo took 2-3 seconds longer than a tank with no ammo.   

Some spots I was going noticeably faster.

AmX Bis was eaxactly one second faster with no ammo.

KV2 I got the same time.

Interesting. Thanks for doing the tests. I agree, that these are likely not 100% accurate (were the routes exactly the same?) but it is interesting to see.

Won't change my mind on ammo load outs though.

AKA HanYolo_.

PanzertroopenVT #37 Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11878 battles
  • [PRDE]
Thx cookie for trying, apparently thread hijacking is a horrid issue nowadays ..........flat lining discussions of watching paint dry when we are trying to learn from u...........maybe they can make their own thread.

Panzerwaffe, later also Panzertruppe (German for "Armoured Force", "Armoured Arm" or "Tank Force". Waffe[combat] "arm"

Hey you—yes you, with all that moist, succulent meat in your mouth. Give all of it to me. succulentnmeals!

https://youtu.be/XebF2cgmFmU

HumanCoookie #38 Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:02 PM

Milk Before Cereal

• Players
  • 19858 battles
  • [_STR8]

View PostPanzertroopenVT, on 09 March 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Thx cookie for trying, apparently thread hijacking is a horrid issue nowadays ..........flat lining discussions of watching paint dry when we are trying to learn from u...........maybe they can make their own thread.

When someone says “cookie” instead of “cool-kie” \_(-_-)_/ lol

HNTS 101 [Map Edition]

HNTS 101 [Tank Edition]

HumanCoookie #39 Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:45 AM

Milk Before Cereal

• Players
  • 19858 battles
  • [_STR8]
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEvised

HNTS 101 [Map Edition]

HNTS 101 [Tank Edition]

HumanCoookie #40 Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:20 AM

Milk Before Cereal

• Players
  • 19858 battles
  • [_STR8]
    *EDIT 5: Edited thread title and added some new topics (19. Getting Gud20. Angling, and 21. Going Hull Down). 3/23/1

HNTS 101 [Map Edition]

HNTS 101 [Tank Edition]

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users