Any tips for a KBM player trying to play mobile?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Fu_Manchu_ #1 Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10216 battles
  • [CLEAR]

I play 99+% of my battles on a PC with keyboard and mouse (KBM) but do try to play occasionally on my phone (Galaxy S7). The problem is that I am pretty bad on my phone. ASWD driving and aim/shoot with the mouse is just 2nd nature to me after 30+ years of PC gaming. The touch controls just don't come as naturally for me.

In particular, I wonder how people drive, aim and shoot all at the same time on touch. On a table I have tried using four fingers so I can keep one finger of each hand on the shoot button while driving and aiming with the others. It didn't work well for me but I suspect with more practice it might be ok. But, my phone is just too small and so I use my thumbs. But that means I have to either stop driving or stop aiming to shoot. Switching ammo or using a consumable is even worse.

Has anyone else struggled through the transition and have any tips?

CLEAR/CLE4R family discord: https://discord.gg/Pq44sNt

My second (formerly phone-only, now shameless re-roll) account is HanYolo_.

Find me on discord: Fu_Manchu_#6222

Defaultz #2 Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:52 PM

Yolos get you Kolos

• Players
  • 25321 battles
  • [PRAMO]

If you want to play with a claw, it's especially difficult to do so on a phone. But I recommend you enlarge your secondary fire button as much as possible, and move it as high up on the screen as possible. Play with your left index finger hovering over that fire button and aim with your left thumb. That way, aiming and firing can be two things done at the same time. On a larger device I'd recommend moving your sniper mode to the top of the screen as well, so you save even more time when zooming in to shoot.

LIGHTS___OUT #3 Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

Welcome to the Dark Side

• Players
  • 32122 battles
  • [BRSKT]
Get used to inferior auto-aim mechanics. 

BorisBaddenov #4 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 21919 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View PostFu_Manchu_, on 13 March 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

I play 99+% of my battles on a PC with keyboard and mouse (KBM) but do try to play occasionally on my phone (Galaxy S7). The problem is that I am pretty bad on my phone. ASWD driving and aim/shoot with the mouse is just 2nd nature to me after 30+ years of PC gaming. The touch controls just don't come as naturally for me.

In particular, I wonder how people drive, aim and shoot all at the same time on touch. On a table I have tried using four fingers so I can keep one finger of each hand on the shoot button while driving and aiming with the others. It didn't work well for me but I suspect with more practice it might be ok. But, my phone is just too small and so I use my thumbs. But that means I have to either stop driving or stop aiming to shoot. Switching ammo or using a consumable is even worse.

Has anyone else struggled through the transition and have any tips?

Fu -

Any chance you can get your hands on a tablet?  I cannot imagine playing on a screen as small as a phone.  Tablets rock :)

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

Fu_Manchu_ #5 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10216 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostLIGHTS___OUT, on 13 March 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

Get used to inferior auto-aim mechanics. 

Lies. Damn filthy lies. Auto aim is no better or worse on PC; just different.

Fu_Manchu_ #6 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10216 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 13 March 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

Fu -

Any chance you can get your hands on a tablet?  I cannot imagine playing on a screen as small as a phone.  Tablets rock :)

I do have a tablet and occasionally play on it at home. The reason I am trying to get better on my phone is so I can play on the go (riding transit, waiting for appointments, taking a dump at work, etc.).

XTREMEgecko79 #7 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9214 battles
  • [-VB-]

Practice, practice, practice...and more practice. You could play with your kid's account if you want to get a feel for it without damaging stats...:playing: 

A little bird once told me how to gain credits fast: "Club the seals and sell the fur and hide." 

Fu_Manchu_ #8 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10216 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostDefaultz, on 13 March 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

If you want to play with a claw, it's especially difficult to do so on a phone. But I recommend you enlarge your secondary fire button as much as possible, and move it as high up on the screen as possible. Play with your left index finger hovering over that fire button and aim with your left thumb. That way, aiming and firing can be two things done at the same time. On a larger device I'd recommend moving your sniper mode to the top of the screen as well, so you save even more time when zooming in to shoot.

I didn't know you could move the buttons on touch settings. I may give that a try.

cheasesteak #9 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 18372 battles
  • [COD-R]
Start with slower tanks until you get used to the feel of the touch screen. 

Overpriced Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

Fu_Manchu_ #10 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10216 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostXTREMEgecko79, on 13 March 2018 - 10:06 AM, said:

Practice, practice, practice...and more practice. You could play with your kid's account if you want to get a feel for it without damaging stats...:playing: 

I had been doing exactly that. My 8 year old hardly plays, so I try to do her missions for her a few times a week to get her some sparts.

But now that we've done our spring time change, I can no longer play my morning missions at home before work, so I'm trying to do them on my phone at work. I've been doing them in the KV-1 (a slow heavy with a big boomstick in the tier 5 noobfest fits my poor mobile driving ability) and am getting better. In 8 battles yesterday and today, I'm 75% with 776 DPB, which for me on mobile is an improvement. It would be nice to get to a point where I am as good on my phone as on my laptop.

Fu_Manchu_ #11 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10216 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View Postcheasesteak, on 13 March 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

Start with slower tanks until you get used to the feel of the touch screen. 

That's what I thought too, hence my post above and decision to use KV-1. I also figured playing as low tier as possible while keeping the V-X missions would be best.

I think it will all come down to just getting used to it.

Edited by Fu_Manchu_, 13 March 2018 - 05:13 PM.

9_V0LT #12 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2664 battles
  • [OGRE]

Get a sheet of hole reinforcement stickers. 

The stickers you put on three ring binder paper, to keep them from tearing out the binder ring hole. 

You can get get them in clear. 

Stick one on your screen, in the center of your joystick and your thumb will always know it's centered. This makes driving and controlling the tank way easier. 

They are small and unobtrusive. 

Office Depot has them for a couple of bucks for a hundred. 

https://www.officede...DAaAiXsEALw_wcB

Yeah, I'm back. Let's not make a big deal about this.

Fu_Manchu_ #13 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10216 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View Post9_V0LT, on 13 March 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

Get a sheet of hole reinforcement stickers. 

The stickers you put on three ring binder paper, to keep them from tearing out the binder ring hole. 

You can get get them in clear. 

Stick one on your screen, in the center of your joystick and your thumb will always know it's centered. This makes driving and controlling the tank way easier. 

They are small and unobtrusive. 

Office Depot has them for a couple of bucks for a hundred. 

https://www.officede...DAaAiXsEALw_wcB

Assuming you're not trolling me into doing something stupid, this is exactly the kind of tip I was hoping for (i.e. something that would help me improve faster than just practice and get used to it over time). I often find that I accidentally stop moving forwards or backwards when turning because I allow my thumb to move too far up or down.

(at least I have a screen protector, so if I'm about to do something stupid it won't ruin my phone's screen lol)

Edited by Fu_Manchu_, 13 March 2018 - 05:19 PM.

reluctanttheist #14 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:52 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 22751 battles
  • [III-H]

Practice is the thing.  Get to training rooms and give it a go.  I know the struggle of switching platforms!  From a guy who:

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

cheasesteak #15 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 18372 battles
  • [COD-R]

BTW, I commend you for joining the pure and righteous mobile device users.  Now you just need to let go of your evil KBM ways and enter into the light of WoTB as it was intended. 

Purge the filthy KBM users who defile our mobile game.  Build a wall and deport them back to WoT PC. 

Overpriced Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

XTREMEgecko79 #16 Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9214 battles
  • [-VB-]

View PostFu_Manchu_, on 13 March 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

I had been doing exactly that. My 8 year old hardly plays, so I try to do her missions for her a few times a week to get her some sparts.

But now that we've done our spring time change, I can no longer play my morning missions at home before work, so I'm trying to do them on my phone at work. I've been doing them in the KV-1 (a slow heavy with a big boomstick in the tier 5 noobfest fits my poor mobile driving ability) and am getting better. In 8 battles yesterday and today, I'm 75% with 776 DPB, which for me on mobile is an improvement. It would be nice to get to a point where I am as good on my phone as on my laptop.

Nice. I occasionally play Wot on PC and I'm pretty bad with the controls. I've gotten better but just playing around 100 battles made playing on iPad very awkward and difficult.  if I were you I'd stay with the KV-1. Over time, I promise the controls will be easier mate. Send me an invite if you to platoon sometime. See you on the battlefield, o7.

Edited by XTREMEgecko79, 13 March 2018 - 05:57 PM.

A little bird once told me how to gain credits fast: "Club the seals and sell the fur and hide." 

9_V0LT #17 Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2664 battles
  • [OGRE]

View PostFu_Manchu_, on 13 March 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

Assuming you're not trolling me into doing something stupI'd

LoL, no trolling. 

Now, if I had advised you to scratch a reference mark on the glass, using your wife's engagement ring, that would have been some worthy trolling, right there. 

Mine's a little more elaborate, simply because I like to over complicate things. 

I literally, would not be able to play the game without it. 

Edited by 9_V0LT, 13 March 2018 - 06:18 PM.

Yeah, I'm back. Let's not make a big deal about this.

__The_Dude_30__ #18 Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

The Dude of Dudes

• Players
  • 16253 battles
  • [CRU2L]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 13 March 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

Fu -

If the phone is big enough, it doesn't matter that much. I played on an ipad mini for years, and recently got an iphone 6s+. Of course, that is a very large phone, but there was not much difference for me

C4UEL Deputy. CRUEL/CRU2L/C4UEL discord: https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

o7 RatchetGod, R.I.P.

Fu_Manchu_ #19 Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10216 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View Postcheasesteak, on 13 March 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

BTW, I commend you for joining the pure and righteous mobile device users.  Now you just need to let go of your evil KBM ways and enter into the light of WoTB as it was intended. 

Purge the filthy KBM users who defile our mobile game.  Build a wall and deport them back to WoT PC. 

KBM is life.

View PostXTREMEgecko79, on 13 March 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

Nice. I occasionally play Wot on PC and I'm pretty bad with the controls. I've gotten better but just playing around 100 battles made playing on iPad very awkward and difficult.  if I were you I'd stay with the KV-1. Over time, I promise the controls will be easier mate. Send me an invite if you to platoon sometime. See you on the battlefield, o7.

I'm already seeing them get a little easier.

View Post9_V0LT, on 13 March 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

LoL, no trolling 

Mine's a little more elaborate, simply because I like to over complicate things. 

I literally, would not be able to play the game without it. 

Glad to know I'm not being duped into something lol-worthy. I will try that out.

BorisBaddenov #20 Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 21919 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View Post__The_Dude_30__, on 13 March 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

If the phone is big enough, it doesn't matter that much. I played on an ipad mini for years, and recently got an iphone 6s+. Of course, that is a very large phone, but there was not much difference for me

I have a 6s -- way way too small for me :)

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users