Panther/M10 Premium Premium Tank Review Guide

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Aventre3 #1 Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26323 battles
  • [III-S]

I know this is a lengthy review, but hopefully it will be helpful to those thinking about purchasing this tank or trying to improve their gameplay. Feel free to also just skip to the sections you find interesting.

History

The Panther/M10 may have the most unusual historical background of any tank in the game and its worth visiting if you haven’t already come across it.

In late 1944, the war was not going well for Germany as they were retreating from Western Europe. Part of the plan to turn the tide of war was a counter attack that included Operation Greif, which would use English speaking German troops dressed up in Allied uniforms and using capture Allied vehicles to move behind Allied lines and create confusion. When the short supply of Allied equipment became obvious (they only had 2 Sherman tanks in such poor condition they could not be used), the plan proceeded by extensively modifying Panther tanks with sheet metal to look like M10 Wolverine Tank Destoryers, and thus the Panther/M10 was born (Here is a link describing the painstaking alterations to create the Panther/M10).

Side-by-side comparison of Panther I, Panther/M10, and M10 Wolverine. From WoT Blitz.

We now know this counter offensive as the Battle of the Bulge that the Allies were able to contain. Despite the tactical failure, the Commandos of Operation Greif successfully created plenty of confusion for the Allies by giving false orders and destroying communication lines. This caused Allied military leaders to be very paranoid about spies and saboteurs and to greatly increase security leading to several friendly fire accidents and accidental detainment of high ranking officers. The Panther/M10s were never used for their actual mission to capture strategic bridges and ended up fighting as regular units where at least 4 Panther/M10 tanks were captured or destroyed. (I’ve read conflicting accounts that suggest between 4-10 Panther/M10 were created) This history of the Panther/M10 as a false flag role explains why the Panther/M10 in game is painted in a drab olive green like the US tanks as opposed to the grey of the standard German tanks. Now If only in game you could use this tank to fool the red team into thinking you were on their side...

Overview

Currently the Panther/M10 is the only Premium tank available that drives like a medium and has great credit earning. While the Panther/M10 won’t earn as much as a T34, IS-6, or KV-5, it is not too far behind these tanks in earning ability while being a bit more fun to drive as a medium. And with a list price of 4750 Gold, it may be one of the best credit grinders for the money (along with the SU-100Y). In comparison, the Tier VIII Premiums listed above are about 7500 Gold. If you can get the Panther/M10 on sale, even better!

WARNING: While I highly recommend this tank to any driver who can skillfully drive a medium tank at Tiers VII and up, this is NOT the right tank for you if you still need to work on your medium driving skills at these tiers. I think the Panther/M10 requires some skills to drive well as you are often the only high tier tank against other Tier VII heavy tanks. Its up to you to decide what "skillful" means though, I just want to make sure you know what you are getting into.

Pros

• Preferential Matchmaking (-2/+1)
  • EXCELLENT Rate of Fire and Damage Per Minute (12.77 RoF, 2043.2 DPM)
  • Best HP for a Tier VII Medium (1300 HP)
  • Great Accuracy (0.35)
  • Good Accuracy on the Move (though I wish it could mount a vertical stabilizer)
  • Great Aim Time (2.3 s)
  • Great Credit Earning
  • Good at Ramming Smaller Mediums or TDs

Cons

• Low Penetration (AP: 150, APCR: 194, usually not an issue for me)
  • Shots to the Lower Frontal Glacis Start Engine Fires.
  • Not as Nimble as Most Tier VII Medium Tanks (can still circle of death)
  • Gun Depression (-8 deg, isn’t as good as US or Brits, though workable)
  • Platooning Can Negate Preferential Matchmaking (platoon with Tier VI tanks or other Panther/M10s)

How to play this tank

I hear lots of people say to play the german mediums (including the Panther/M10) like a “mobile sniper”. Unfortunately  most people focus on the “sniper” part instead of the “mobile” part, so I often see Panther/M10s perched in the back of the map with the TDs trying to snipe across the map. If you play the Panther/M10 like this, you are wasting a lot of this tank’s abilities. And if the tank you are shooting at is well armored, the loss of penetration at distance will decrease your effectiveness. I like to think of the Panther/M10 as a great medium with the ability to take long shots when they are available, but I don’t go out of my way to snipe.

I play this tank as a true medium and jack-of-all trades that also has the ability to make long shots with its accuracy. I use the maneuverability to flank, shoot tracks, circle of death, or spot enemy tanks for TDs. All pretty standard medium driving. The armor, as a medium tank, isn’t great, but the front plate (which is 85mm, 112mm effective), can be quite hard for other Tier VII medium tanks to pen when heavily angled, so I will sometimes poke the front of my Panther/M10 out from cover at a steep enough angle to bait a bounce, then pop out the rest of the way to take an uncontested shot. And the Turret Mantle can be pretty good too at about 169mm effective armor which when combined with a -8 deg gun depression, makes hull down possible against tanks with weaker guns.

If I am the only Tier 7 on my team and the reds have an IS or T29, I will actually go toe-to-toe with the heavy, switch to APCR, hit adrenaline, and brawl. Sometimes this is necessary to prevent the top tier heavies wading into the middle of your lower tier teammates and decimating them. In one match Thunderthies and I platooned our Panther/M10s and were top tier while the other team had 2 T29s, I was able to take out both T29s. The first was by going hull down on a dead tank and rocking back and forth to give the T29 a harder time aiming, then I went all circle of death against the second T29 that came to help his buddy. Though if you can get your team to wolf pack on the flank you can then swarm a top tier heavy at the end and crush it with superior numbers. If I'm low or middle tier and facing a KV-4tresses or other armored monster I’ll switch to HE to track them allowing the bigger guns on my team easier shots.

Personal Experience

After 295 battles, I still love this tank and it suits my play style very well. I hear that its comparable to a VK 30.02 M or Panther I, but my win rate in those tanks is only about 52% while my Panther/M10 win rate has recently fluctuated between 59-62%. More generally, my medium tanks are in the 51-61% win rate range. The rate of fire and preferential matchmaking make this one easier for me than the other German mediums. The T34 and Panther/M10 are currently my go to tanks for credit grinding and are different enough that things don’t get boring. Though I haven't played the Comet, the Panther/M10 is currently my favorite medium at Tier VII.

I’ve also had some epic battles in this tank. It has the distinction of being my highest tier tank to earn a Raseiniai Hero’s Medal. This may have been my greatest game to date and the highest damage I’ve seen with this tank. I’ve only seen one other battle that just edged this one out in experience, but fell short in damage (its hard to get damage assistance for extra experience if your team is dead). In addition to this one outstanding battle, see the first comment below this post where I will post a couple other battles to give you an idea of the credit earnings of this tank. Also I find that many drivers will underestimate the Panther/M10. I once killed a T32 and T28 because they wanted to get the T29 around the corner and didn’t mind taking a “few” shots from a little Panther/M10. Even in the epic battle below, the red T29 turned to face our teams Tiger I while exposing its weak turret sides to me (hats off to you Tiger driver).

Epic Battle: Summary
Epic Battle: Team Results
Epic Battle: Credit Earning

Equipment

I use:

Gun Rammer -  +10% to load time (Blistering fast Rate of Fire and DPM)

Vents - Small bump to accuracy, loading, aiming, speed, traverse, mobility, view range

Binocular Telescope - +25% to view range if stationary for ~3 seconds (250m becomes 312.5m).

As a medium, repairs are already pretty fast negating the Toolbox. And if I’m stuck in a bad spot, I want to be out yesterday, so I use consumables.

I don’t ram enough to justify the Spall Liner

I went with the Binocs over the Coated Optics as a 25m increase is small but a 62.5m bump is more useful in my mind. I’ll sometimes just pop up to a good vantage hang out for a few seconds to see if anything lights up. Particularly useful for finding that last tank and taking advantage of the good accuracy. Though Coated Optics are also a good option too.

Skipped the Camo Net as it is a big tank with low camo rating, though this might suit your style if you are really into the mobile sniping thing.

Wet Rack and CO2: Not an issue to me, but depends on what you are experiencing.

This tank already has a workable aim time, so I skipped the EGLD, but definitely an option.

Consumables

Repair Kit,  Multi-Purpose (must have for fires), Adrenaline

(Fire Extinguisher or Chocolate are two useful options)

Ammunition

AP: 55 rounds.  APCR: 19 rounds (for credit, I try not to use these).  HE: 8 (for cap resets, tracking)

Priority Crew Skills

I think the best skills for this tank (and all mediums) are Smooth Ride and Smooth Turret Traverse. When fully trained these skills reduce dispersion by 5% while on the move and 10% during a turret traverse, respectively. After that Repairs and would round out the top three in my book to focus on (20% faster repairs when fully trained).

Other Helpful Sources

Definitely check out Thunderthies’ great video review of the Panther/M10!

_Salient's replays of Panther/M10 battles, originally convinced me to take my own Panther/M10 out of the garage for the first time. (Back then the Panther/M10 was getting a lot of hate on the forums as most players driving this tank were potato bad. This negative perception has changed a lot in the last couple of months.) Thanks _Salient!

Thanks!

I owe a special thanks to hustleb0nes (and WG) for selecting me as a platoon-mate during a community-combat event, where I won this tank. Now knowing what I do now, I'd buy it again. And thank you for reading this far! If you have any comments, suggestions, or feedback, please let me know.

Edited by Aventre3, 19 December 2014 - 09:55 PM.

For advice and review of Premium Tanks, please see this post.

Aventre3 #2 Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:30 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26323 battles
  • [III-S]

Battle A: Team Results
Battle A: Credit Earning

You may notice that the profit here is pretty low for the damage and experience, but it looks like I was liberal in the use of APCR rounds in this match. I was probably desperately trying to carry but fell short.

Battle B: Summary / Details
Battle B: Team Results
Battle B: Credit Earning

Pretty good credit earnings, but also a high damage experience game with no consumables used.

Battle C: Summary / Details
Battle C: Team Results
Battle C: Credit Earning

A bad game for me with only 800 damage and consumables used. Still even without premium this would be 11,000 Credits in the bank.

Edited by Aventre3, 19 December 2014 - 09:50 PM.

rheifb #3 Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 14378 battles
Çràp! My bad I ment to put both +1 for all of your hard work on this . Sorry

that one guy who explains everything in gifs

proud to be Italian. Questo è ITALIA!!

Mah tanks: is7, su100y, jagdpanzer e100, t2 light, m4a3e8 fury, valentine II, t82, su85I, T34, jag 8.8, centurion 1,

E75, pz b2, jagtiger, t44, t-54, SU 152-derp, E100, tog II*

hughjass07 #4 Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 14088 battles
  • [HJG]
Great review, I enjoyed reading that. :great:

On Twitter @HughbertJass

On Facebook

Though likely I go to my Doom, my heart is valiant, my conscience clear,

and before it is my time, by God they will know that I was there!

UnsaltedPiranha #5 Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8236 battles
Good review! Now only if I had the money to get an M10...

DukeNukedem #6 Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 56583 battles
Great review - very insightful and I love the historical context!  More please!

** Community Pledge Signer **

GenClint10 #7 Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5827 battles
nice review! fun fact: battle of the bulge would have never happened if patton was allowed to destroy the rest of the Germans in France, anyways nice review and the history is really interesting.

GenClint10 #8 Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5827 battles

View PostHerrOverlord, on 19 December 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

If you want more history pm me.

thunderthies #9 Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 18003 battles
Nice review, Aventre! The Panther/M10 is beast.

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels

Aventre3 #10 Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:33 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26323 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postfirestateam1, on 19 December 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

Good review! Now only if I had the money to get an M10...

Do the contests and save up the gold! Thats what I'm doing and I'm slowly saving up for a new premium.

View PostHerrOverlord, on 19 December 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Glad you like the history aspect. The Panther/M10 is definitely a unique tank from a historical perspective, but I'll be sure to include a history section on future review too. Maybe I'll go back to my Fury review and add a section on the Easy8...

View PostGenClint10, on 19 December 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

nice review! fun fact: battle of the bulge would have never happened if patton was allowed to destroy the rest of the Germans in France, anyways nice review and the history is really interesting.

Thanks, I always like to learn a little more history myself and had fun reading up on the battle of the bulge and the panther/m10. Do you have any good tank history books you might like to recommend? I got half-way through the movie on patton when I needed to stop, the next day the movie was gone (netflix?) so I still need to finish it.

View Postthunderthies, on 19 December 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

Nice review, Aventre! The Panther/M10 is beast.

Thanks! I had a great time running Panther/M10 platoons with you as well, definitely a fun tank to platoon. 

View Posthughjass07, on 19 December 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

Great review, I enjoyed reading that. :great:

Thanks!

View Postrheifb, on 19 December 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Çràp! My bad I ment to put both +1 for all of your hard work on this . Sorry

No Worries! 

GenClint10 #11 Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5827 battles

View PostAventre3, on 19 December 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

Do the contests and save up the gold! Thats what I'm doing and I'm slowly saving up for a new premium.

Glad you like the history aspect. The Panther/M10 is definitely a unique tank from a historical perspective, but I'll be sure to include a history section on future review too. Maybe I'll go back to my Fury review and add a section on the Easy8...

Thanks, I always like to learn a little more history myself and had fun reading up on the battle of the bulge and the panther/m10. Do you have any good tank history books you might like to recommend? I got half-way through the movie on patton when I needed to stop, the next day the movie was gone (netflix?) so I still need to finish it.

Thanks! I had a great time running Panther/M10 platoons with you as well, definitely a fun tank to platoon. 

Thanks!

No Worries! 

I don't read a lot of ww2 books only articles and videos. Here's a playlist of videos I watched about Pattons assassination https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFA92D24B1DC2B199. I can answer pretty much any question you have about the battle of the bulge just ask me In game or PM me on the forum.

LAPPELduvide #12 Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

PhD in Dakimakura Engineering and Design M.S. in Waifu Studies

• Players
  • 24316 battles
  • [ANEKI]
Dude you should become a writer! Great review and probably the most thorough I've ever seen

┬┴┬┴┤ (◕ᴗ◕✿├┬┴┬┴┤(ಠ﹏ಠ├┬┴┬

>>>Join [MAHOU/ANEKI] Discord!!!<<<

Best ANIME CLAN in the NA and a nice community for weebs. 

Unitater #13 Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22199 battles
  • [GRIM]
Wow, very detailed review man! Nice!

All tier Xs acquired. Professional premium tank collector for WoTB.

Please check out my youtubeYOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Links to my guides can be found on my about me page (on profile)

Casual tanker, forum user, and pledge signer

Aventre3 #14 Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:27 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26323 battles
  • [III-S]

View Post_eL33t_, on 19 December 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

Dude you should become a writer! Great review and probably the most thorough I've ever seen

View Postindeeshm, on 19 December 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

Wow, very detailed review man! Nice!

Thanks!  My field does require you to be good at writing. Also, I'm writing this review the way I would like to see reviews of tanks I don't have, hoping that I'll inspire others as well.  I figure between Thunderthies' video and my text anyone thinking about this tank will have a really good idea of what they are getting into. And I'm always keeping my eyes open for my next premium tank and wish there were more reviews around the blitz forums. 

_Meta #15 Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19456 battles
  • [SRT-]
You and Thunder are gonna make me buy one of these. Really wanting a premium medium and this is looking more and more like the one.

"It's a fool that goes into battle and doesn't use every tool at his disposal. If you ever catch yourself in a "fair" fight, you deserve to lose."-- Meta

Asiaticus #16 Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16340 battles

Thanks. I've been thinking about picking this up for credit grinding as I've been getting much better as a medium driver and this one looks like fun. My concern has been that I'm not a great driver of German mediums, but it seems like it might be possible to do well with this one anyway, considering the high ROF and preferential MM. 

Very helpful. 

Aventre3 #17 Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:34 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26323 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postmetaboculous68, on 20 December 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

You and Thunder are gonna make me buy one of these. Really wanting a premium medium and this is looking more and more like the one.

View PostAsiaticus, on 20 December 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

Thanks. I've been thinking about picking this up for credit grinding as I've been getting much better as a medium driver and this one looks like fun. My concern has been that I'm not a great driver of German mediums, but it seems like it might be possible to do well with this one anyway, considering the high ROF and preferential MM. 

Very helpful. 

Glad to know that the review is helpful! This is hands down the premium medium at the moment. Maybe if they introduce the Type 59... Or at least more premiums. And definitely wouldn't be worried about it driving like a German medium. It isn't quite as nimble as the U.S. or Russians but it's good enough to get the job done. And that rate of fire and DPM is a blast. 

Also tagged with Panther/M10, Premium, Premium Tank, Review, Guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users