M46 Patton tips

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

fluffyteddy763 #1 Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:01 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5874 battles

Hi friends! :)

After a brutal stock grind in the M46 patton :(, and several weeks spent trying to raise my stats in it :angry:, I've happily raised my stats in it from 36%+ 1.k average damage (when it was stock) to 50%+ 1.6k average damage (now maxed).  Here are my stats in it currently: https://www.blitzsta.../fluffyteddy763

However, I'm not satisfied with those numbers, and feel like I can, and should, be contributing more. With this in mind, I'd love all y'alls input.

1. I have 7/9 slots unlocked. What sort of equipment should I be running with this tank?

2. What are some playstyle tips for this tank?

3. I seem to be bottom tier a lot, making me feel at a significant disadvantage, and, as a result, a liability to my team. How do I make this thing work when bottom tier?

4. As an aside- is the m48 better tier for tier? 

Thanks,

-fluffyteddy763 

I've reached a point in my life where I've decided I'm not old. I'm actually 20, but with shipping and handling!

blindsniper74 #2 Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:14 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 42513 battles
  • [III]

Its a great tank.  I run Calibrated shells, Improved Modules, and Optics.  Then Supercharge, Improved Assembly, and Eng Accelerator.  Finally Refined Gun and Enhanced Tracks.

Its a Spotter and a Hill brawler.  I always look for hills to look over to or any other hull down location (the hull is butter, must hide it)  Its a pretty good snap shooter, and has the highest dpm of the tier 9 meds.  You should be able to hang at tier 10 in this.  The key is not to trade shots.  You need to hit, relocate when spotted.  Support targets that others are engaging. 

Its my most successful tier 9 Med.  My stats aren't great but its a winner tank (66%wr, 2050 avg dmg, 1060 avg xp)

The M48 is good, but heavier and bigger.  Similar role.

Posit1ve_ #3 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:18 AM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 81180 battles
  • [_V_]

1. Rammer (because M46 is all about DPM, if you run CS, you lose that advantage), whatever you want for row 1 slot 2, optics, GLD (because supercharge is useless on everything), improved assembly, engine accelerator, and the last slot is personal preference. I have an addiction to gun handling, so I run Vstab, but M46 already has good gun handling, and fairly poor dispersion, so refined gun is also a good pick.

2. Flank and hull down. The pen is kinda low, but once you get the sides of tanks, you can make maximum effect of the DPM. The turret is also somewhat trill (but not reliable whatsoever), so you can use the gun handling and gun depression to quickly snap in a shot, then back down behind a ridge.

3. Again, flank. If you ever find yourself trying to shoot heavies in the front, you’re doing it wrong. Disengage, and find a better angle.

4. Statistically, M46 is the highest performing tier 9 in the game, so technically no. However, M48 gains a lot of turret armor compared to M46, so it’s a little more forgiving, and the turret can be used to bully other meds.

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

SanguinaryDan #4 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles
  • [III-P]

I agree 100% with Blindsniper’s post. And I’ll warn you from the get go that while I’ve gotten my damage numbers to more comfortable levels my survival rate is still trash. 

The M48 is a great drive. And, IMO, much better than the M46. Good gun handling becomes great because of the NATO 105mm.  Armor actually is. But you do lose some mobility. However, you own the ridges because the turret is excellent and the upper glacis nearly impenetrable. Where in the 46 you can’t trust either, even against lower tier guns, the M48 will keep you safe. And you’ve still got more than enough speed and agility to get the hell outta Dodge when you need to.

The M46 was horrible for me the first time around because I was so busy “gold noob” rushing the lines that I never learned the tank. Now I actually enjoy it when top or even tiered. If bottom tiered and facing Tier X TDs?  Well, you’ve been there. 

The point of the game is to win.  The purpose of the game is to have fun.  They are not mutually exclusive.

Kiser_Sosei #5 Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

Who is Kiser Sosei?!?

• Players
  • 41271 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postblindsniper74, on 20 April 2018 - 04:14 AM, said:

Its a great tank.  I run Calibrated shells, Improved Modules, and Optics.  Then Supercharge, Improved Assembly, and Eng Accelerator.  Finally Refined Gun and Enhanced Tracks.

Its a Spotter and a Hill brawler.  I always look for hills to look over to or any other hull down location (the hull is butter, must hide it)  Its a pretty good snap shooter, and has the highest dpm of the tier 9 meds.  You should be able to hang at tier 10 in this.  The key is not to trade shots.  You need to hit, relocate when spotted.  Support targets that others are engaging. 

Its my most successful tier 9 Med.  My stats aren't great but its a winner tank (66%wr, 2050 avg dmg, 1060 avg xp)

The M48 is good, but heavier and bigger.  Similar role.

This. Its also my best tier 9 tank.

The M48 is a dog for me. The loss of speed for me means slightly less DPM for my team. Also the armour has never done me any favors. And at tier 10 if you are not top damage every match then you most likely will loose. 

"MM may not be rigged but RNGesus only answers the prayers of one team."
My WOTB Youtube Channel.

https://www.blitzsta...com/Kiser_Sosei

blindsniper74 #6 Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 42513 battles
  • [III]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 20 April 2018 - 05:18 AM, said:

1. Rammer (because M46 is all about DPM, if you run CS, you lose that advantage), whatever you want for row 1 slot 2, optics, GLD (because supercharge is useless on everything), improved assembly, engine accelerator, and the last slot is personal preference. I have an addiction to gun handling, so I run Vstab, but M46 already has good gun handling, and fairly poor dispersion, so refined gun is also a good pick.

2. Flank and hull down. The pen is kinda low, but once you get the sides of tanks, you can make maximum effect of the DPM. The turret is also somewhat trill (but not reliable whatsoever), so you can use the gun handling and gun depression to quickly snap in a shot, then back down behind a ridge.

Calibrated shells helps fix the Pen issue, imo.  There is a trade off, for sure... but it kinda depends on how you play the tank. 

Supercharge is useless on everything ?  Interesting.  Why do you say that?  I need to change some things if thats true.

Dominator702 #7 Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

The Camping Wuss

• Players
  • 21444 battles
  • [D33DZ]
I have one very good piece of advice tho I’ve never driven the m46 I do know one thing it’s no heavy killer unless your hull down do not I repeat DO NOT try your luck against an e75, m103 or a conqueror, the e75 lacks dpm but it’s armor is insane against you the m103 decent armor fantastic gun don’t try it if it’s hull down the conq has enough speed and manuverability to keep up with you and has the best gun on any tier nine heavy

Dirty [D33DZ] Done Dirt Cheap!

My stats:https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/Dominator702

Weather they’re good or bad I wear them with pride!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users