Maverick's Ultimate Guide to the T-62A

Tier X Mediums T-62A Guide Video YouTube Maverick

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Tell me if you enjoyed my guide, please. (10 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battles in order to participate this poll.

Did you enjoy the guide? Why so?

1. Yes, very informative and useful. (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. Yes, because you're a funny writer. (1 vote [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. No, I disagreed with you a lot. (1 vote [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Hide poll

I_Maverick_I #1 Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:20 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 16718 battles

The T-62A, in my opinion, is one of the strongest tanks at Tier X.

Why, you might ask? Its talents allow it to consistently carry a team by playing smart. 

Alright, so first, let's get some myths out of the way. There are really 3 main play styles that people tend to use with this tank, and 2 of them, in my opinion, do not benefit the team. If you're a serious player, you play to win, not farm. With my strategy, you will win the most, and still average a respectable amount of damage. The better you can utilize the strategy, the more damage you will deal. Now, let's get to it.

Main Playstyles for the T-62A

1. Frontline Brawler. Explanation: This play style encourages spotting, being aimed at immediately by the reds, and brawling with the other brawlers from the reds. This strategy will usually result in low average damage, and a mediocre win rate. Why scrubs think it's a good idea: The T-62A does have blazing DPM and a good turret, key tools for brawling. Why unicums know it's a bad idea: The strat depends highly on teammates utilizing your spots and sacrifice of HP to win the game, as you will mostly likely die quite early in the beginning. This is ironic, seeing as the players that brawl in the T-62A are often the ones saying, "Where's the team?" or "My team is useless!" when they've managed to die before the play clock even reaches 6:00. 

2. Long-range SniperExplanation: This play style encourages playing from a distance and taking shots when available, allowing the greens to spot and take damage initially, which allows you to conserve hit points because you are not being shot at. This strategy will result in a low average win rate, and a mediocre average damage. Why scrubs think it's a good idea: The T-62A has the best accuracy in the game. It has a .244 or .27something dispersion rate, depending on equipment choice, and very good aim time, allowing you to squeeze shots off without having to aim for very long. Why unicums know it's a bad idea: By your choice of sniping, you have taken one flanker/spotter off the team. Since you are at long-range, your team can easily be flanked, or your team won't know where the enemy is coming from, because you're not spotting. How many times have you been the only medium or light tank on your team, in a meta dominated by heavies and tank destroyers? Yeah, we all have. By not playing a medium role, you have made the team crippled and more vulnerable. Not to mention, a T-62A is not the most effective sniper anyways. Wait, fast DPM and good accuracy? Maverick, are you high? No. What makes the FV215b (183) a massive damage farmer? ALPHA. All a spotted (or unspotted, duurrrrppppp) red needs to do is poke out, expose themselves for only a second, and they can take a massive 1300 damage shell. Or 910. You get the point. If you get shot by a T-62A from long range, you get back in cover, and you've only been winged. Not very effective. Now you need to wait for another red to step out, in which cases, you'll probably only get 1-2 shots off. 

3. Turning the Team into a BackpackExplanation: A mixture of different play styles, this usually means playing frontline, second-line, and sniper if needed all in one match. This will usually result in a high win rate and average to amazing average damage. Why scrubs don't (can't) do this: it takes skill! Only experienced players that have a good sense of map knowledge, can predict where the enemy will be, and can utilize the team as much as possible, while providing assistance to the team, can truly turn the team into a backpack. Why unicums do this: it's the best way to win, and allows you to still take lots of XP and damage. 

So, let me elaborate on Strategy Three, because it's the one that takes the most practice and is the most rewarding when executed well. Any mouth breather can brawl or snipe. In order to increase your knowledge, I'll run through a quick checklist that I try to fulfill whenever I play the T-62A. 

Pace of Play Checklist

1. Look at both friendly and enemy team composition, and quickly analyze which direction the team should head to.

2. Communicate with team, offer a game plan.

3. Get some early spots.

4. Wait for team to advance or back down.

5. Take 2nd line and get some damage in, without taking hits. Note: the following steps are in place of different scenarios. 

6. If enemy team has not collapsed (they usually won't this early), and you're in a position where you cannot shots off without taking damage, relocate to a better area. This is when you would execute a flank. 

7. Try to kill tanks in the frontline of the reds, allowing your team to advance forward. DO NOT RUSH IN YET.

8. Start slowly coming into the back of the reds, and start isolating targets. You might able to to COD (Circle of Death) tank destroyers or slow heavies here.

9. Finish off last few tanks and GG. Hopefully you were able to get some good damage and XP in. 

Extra Notes: when executing a flank, if you run into red flankers, do not engage in a brawl. Wait for support. Only brawl if you will not get shot too much (remember not to forget about the main battle and that the reds over there might have shots on you!) and if you have at least 2 more tanks with you than they do. 

6. If enemy team is completely falling apart, push to the frontline and start farming damage and kills if you can do this without being hit too many times. GG. You should have been able to grab at least SOME damage. 

6. If YOUR team is collapsing, time to relocate to an area where you can spot, deal damage, and not get shot. This could mean running away from the remainder of the team. Ignore people calling you a coward. It might be noble to fight a last stand, but you won't be getting many Kolos from that. Your camo should be reset, and most likely the reds too, by the time you get to Step 7.

7. Relocate to an area with soft and hard cover next to each other, far enough away from the remaining reds where you can predict where they will show up.

8. Once they are spotted, tunnel (go after first/prioritize) any fast reds or reds with low health. 

9. If you're still alive, analyze red team composition. It's probably just you vs a few slow red tanks. They are probably headed to base. 

10. Find areas where you can safely reset the base counter. You probably don't have many hit points by now. 

11. If there are multiple slow tanks, try to lure one away from the base. If you can, COD them. If you can't, try to spot and peek-a-boom them. 

12. By now your heart is thumping, and your hands are sweaty. Keep reseting base if they are still capping, or go in and try to COD the last tank left. Hopefully it's something slow, like a turret less td that was sniping the whole game. 

13. If you managed to win, congrats! Make sure to down vote your most useless teammates, give out Worthy Opponents to good players on the reds, and send Lucky Players to all unicums you might encounter. Nothing ticks a unicum off more than getting a Lucky Player praise :trollface:. Don't forget to screenshot your team or self battle result page so you can brag here on the forums or on Discord to boost your pixel ego. 

Before I get to the next thing to tackle, I'm going to give some details on the first initial steps.

-When analyzing the team compositions, consider the tank traits, not just the type of tank it is. If you have 4 heavies, 2 of which are T34's, one is a Chieftain, and the other is an IS-5, it still probably would make sense to go away from town in order to utilize the strong turrets and gun depression of the T34's and Chieftain. If you have lots of standard heavies on your team, and they have lots of mobile tanks, I would go away from town in order not to be flanked. It would be a weird situation getting flanked from the town, and I can't tell you what would happen anyways. If you have lots of heavier tanks and so do they, go town and hope your teammates don't get melted. If you have more mobile tanks and so do they, go away from town. If they have more heavy tanks and you have mobile tanks, go away from town again, but don't over-extend. 

-When going for spots, look for areas with soft and hard cover adjacent, an escape route if needed, and a way to point your gun at lanes where you predict the enemy will pass through.

-It's always better to not trade shots. You have the lowest alpha at Tier X, even if you are getting 2 shots in, it's still bad. You're throwing away your hit points to take theirs when there could be a way to take theirs without losing yours. 

Now, let's get to the simple stuff:

What to Equip while in the Garage.

Camouflage: always bring some. Hopefully you can get a free camo reset one like the Clan Wars camo, you might decide to pay gold for one as well. But definitely bring camouflage. That extra 3% could save your life, or allow you to get more shots in without being spotted.

Consumables: Bring a Multi-Repair Kit, Adrenaline (or Engine Boost, if you think you don't need better DPM at a certain moment and want to relocate faster) and a regular Repair Kit.

Provisions: Equip both types of foods and the better fuel.

Ammunition: Depends on what you feel confident with. I usually bring 35 APCR, 10-15 HEAT, and the rest HE. If anything, bring more HEAT. The HEAT shells are wonderful on this tank, but I'm almost there. Remember that your APCR flies the fastest, you'll pretty much never have to lead targets with it, and it makes aiming for specific areas on a red tank much easier.

Equipment: I'm only going to go over Slots 1,4, and 7. The other 6 are up to you, and Slots 8 and 9 don't even have to unlocked. 

Calibrated Shells Defense System Coated Optics
Gun Laying Drive Improved Assembly Engine Accelerator
Vertical Stabilizers Toolkit Consumable Cooldown

Slot 1) Calibrated Shells. 330 HEAT pen is very, VERY nice. Combined with the amazing accuracy of the T-62A, you can consistently lolpen small enemy weak spots, like the turret cheeks on a Jg. Pz. E 100, or on a T110E4's turret cheeks. Definitely worth the DPM loss, which is about 200 per minute. That's less than 1 shot per minute, when you have a better chance of penning a target. Plus, unless you're hitting the fire button for all those shots in a minute, you're not getting the full DPM that the number can mislead you to. To be honest, I rarely run CS, but at higher tiers, the benefit is higher because it gives you more mm's of pen. A rammer is usually the way to go on pretty much every tank in Tier I-VII. 

Slot 4) Gun-Laying Drive. Because you will be moving around a lot and relocating frequently, you won't have much time to aim. Supercharge offers more shell velocity, when the T-62A already has the fastest shell velocity in the game. And the pen decrease over distance is barely a factor worth worrying about. If you're so uncomfortable shooting from long-range with APCR, use HEAT, which doesn't lose effective pen at distance. 

Slot 7) Since you shouldn't be sniping in this tank very much at all, you don't need .244 dispersion. You'll be taking much more snapshots than snipes, and having a permanent decrease of the gun bloom while traversing AND decreasing aim time is much more valuable than getting a slightly smaller gun bloom when fully aimed in. At about 0-200 meters, if you can't hit targets where you want the shell to land with the T-62A's accuracy, you need to learn how to aim.

Video tutorials to come soon, when I finish getting the clips I need and have the time to edit them. Thanks for your patience.

Hopefully, if you took the time to read this whole thread, you can learn something about the T-62A and mediums like it in general, and that your performance in the tank increases. Please send any questions or concerns to me about this guide either on Discord or below in the comments. 

Thanks and 07,

Maverick.

Edited by I_Maverick_I, 04 May 2018 - 05:04 AM.

I_Maverick_I #2 Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:18 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 16718 battles

Also, if anyone would like me to make a guide as thorough as the one above on a tank he/she is struggling in, let me know in the comments section. This one took a few hours to write, but it was worth it. Hopefully the tank you want me to review is a tank in my garage, because I can only do so much with a tank that I've never played before, and I won't be able to make a video on it. To check the tanks I've driven, search me in-game to view my service record, or follow this link:

https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/I_Maverick_I

Edited by I_Maverick_I, 27 April 2018 - 09:19 AM.

tanker070 #3 Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

The Nitwit

• Players
  • 46063 battles
  • [-LYE-]

Dam I got thru this guide!

Good flow of words

ahredstealth, on 11 April 2018 - 07:21 PM, said: "while money can't buy happiness, it can rent it."

SpartacusDiablo #4 Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 15815 battles
This was a very good guide. Thank you for taking the time to type this all out.

gskn4u #5 Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:11 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 50689 battles
  • [-BA-]
good work.. :great:

Luc____ #6 Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8810 battles
  • [XWING]
Sounds like someone should get a YouTube channel... I'd certainly watch videos of such high quality!
"Newer Player"

I'm working to improve my winrate. Currently: 45% 46% 47% 48%  49% 50% 51%ish >>> 30 days is 60% ... Currently working to become a unicum, and all tips are appreciated!

fluffyteddy763 #7 Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5227 battles
  • [CRU2L]
Good guide. Can you do one on the AT-15?

^Designed by- SpartacusDiablo 

Profile Pic- Designed by BOOMROCKA

Rivervally_Tom #8 Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8067 battles
Outstanding 

I_Maverick_I #9 Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:42 PM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 16718 battles

View PostLuc____, on 27 April 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

Sounds like someone should get a YouTube channel... I'd certainly watch videos of such high quality!

I technically have a YouTube channel, I have not posted very many videos though. 

I_Maverick_I #10 Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:43 PM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 16718 battles

View Postfluffyteddy763, on 27 April 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

Good guide. Can you do one on the AT-15?

I can try, but I’ve never played the tank. :hiding:

Neutr4l_ #11 Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 15622 battles
  • [_V_]
Obvious you spent a lot of time on this, good job bb

I_Maverick_I #12 Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:19 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 16718 battles

View PostNeutr4l_, on 27 April 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

Obvious you spent a lot of time on this, good job bb

Thanks dad ;)

SpartacusDiablo #13 Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 15815 battles

View PostI_Maverick_I, on 27 April 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

I technically have a YouTube channel, I have not posted very many videos though. 

If you decide to do videos I'd greatly appreciate if you continued to do these written summaries.  Personally I much prefer reading tips to watching them in a video.

__Seal__ #14 Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

Legendary Guardian of Sealkind

• Players
  • 12674 battles
  • [BNCR]
Seems decent enough. What you failed to highlight is that you will end up camping a lot more than pushing, purely because of teams. It’s too risky to push in a lot of scenarios.

New to tier X? Here’s the meta, with the all new tier x tier list.

http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/92877-the-ultimate-tier-x-tier-list/

#1 Tiger I Player NA, #4 Global

Seal Clubbing (v.)- The act of playing any strong or overpowered tank at tiers 1-6 for the purpose of dominating newer players.

Co-founder of the Training Room Police Department (TRPD)

patton_got_u #15 Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:05 PM

Private

• Players
  • 17472 battles
  • [FOXX]

Hi, I read it and is not bad. Good players can play in t-62 but the tank itself doesn't help, meaning that there is a HUGE discrepancy between these stats on paper - best gun, high dpm - and what's going on in the fight. The low alpha means that you can't scare the enemy and the lack of gun depression means that you can't shoot from all positions. 

Good players know their spots; I saw DMG on a saddle point at Middlebburg - going up with the tank to shoot down.

And the proof is that the tank is not used in tournaments, just like 183 is not used. Level 10 is more about what damage you can deflect and absorb and t62 can't do either. 

Edited by patton_got_u, 02 May 2018 - 10:05 PM.

Negaclaw #16 Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:01 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8790 battles
t-62a guide? more like medium tank guide

shoot ur skeet and hit that yeet

I_Maverick_I #17 Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:34 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 16718 battles

View PostNegaclaw, on 03 May 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

t-62a guide? more like medium tank guide

The pace of play section can be applied for most mediums, yea. 

Big_Tidday_Goth_GF #18 Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:51 AM

plz pm me

• Players
  • 22826 battles
  • [KATAR]

A great deal of unsubstantial fluff and most of it flagrantly obvious.

Very poorly written.

E 50 M: "Gungnir" T-62A: "Charon" Leopard 1: "Tyrfing" Obj. 140: "Deimos" E 100: "Gram" M48 Patton: "Justice" STB-1: "Muramasa" FV4202: "Narsil" FV 215b: "Anduril"  Grille 15: "Mystletainn" IS-4: "Scamander" IS-7 "Ionia" T110E5: "Eclipse" Maus: "Tarnhelm" Obj. 263: "Aristeia" AMX 50 B: "Durandel" Foch 155: "Joyeuse" M60: "Traveller"

I_Maverick_I #19 Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:03 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 16718 battles

View PostBig_Tidday_Goth_GF, on 03 May 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

A great deal of unsubstantial fluff and most of it flagrantly obvious.

Very poorly written.

which would explain the 7 upvotes it received, and the people asking for more guides. If this is what you meant by "putting me in my place", I can't think of a weaker and lamer response than that. I hope O'Brien takes you to Room 101 to be re-educated. 

PS, thanks for checking out my post and leaving a comment, it raises the amount of views on the post, and I do sincerely appreciate that. Also, you really should consider adopting my advice, as you could use it. Your 30 day stats for Tier 10 make me want to puke, like that solid 1 WN8 you have in your FV4202.

Edited by I_Maverick_I, 04 May 2018 - 05:04 AM.

I_Maverick_I #20 Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:06 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 16718 battles

View Postpatton_got_u, on 02 May 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

Hi, I read it and is not bad. Good players can play in t-62 but the tank itself doesn't help, meaning that there is a HUGE discrepancy between these stats on paper - best gun, high dpm - and what's going on in the fight. The low alpha means that you can't scare the enemy and the lack of gun depression means that you can't shoot from all positions. 

Good players know their spots; I saw DMG on a saddle point at Middlebburg - going up with the tank to shoot down.

And the proof is that the tank is not used in tournaments, just like 183 is not used. Level 10 is more about what damage you can deflect and absorb and t62 can't do either. 

Sir, with your 1200+ battles in your T-62A, 1000 average damage, and a 37% win rate; you really aren't in the position to disagree with me. Have a nice day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users