Canal

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

andyllinger #21 Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:39 AM

Mr. Hyde encantador

• Players
  • 32477 battles
  • [--M--]

It depends on how many meds/lights you have on your team and the red team, s.e corner works great for fast tanks that can flank if necessary.

canal is such a well balanced map that is one of the few that hasn't been modified since it was introduced, one of my favorites for sure.

25 Tier X in my garage

LIGHTS___OUT #22 Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:45 AM

Welcome to the Dark Side

• Players
  • 39456 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View PostChariot_Solace, on 01 May 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

Idk dude. Clan tag maybe? I’ve never heard of yours.

WHAT????   You have never heard of Brisket?   The clan made by meat lovers for meat lovers.

That tells me all I need to know about you.

Spoiler

4sfield #23 Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:29 AM

Space Lord

• Players
  • 33335 battles
  • [-1]

I like both sides but I most generally run to the cap side if I’m driving a heavy. Even then it’s only if I can get enough of the team to go with me. When your spotters go the other way and then stop to snipe from the hills it can make it not worth the while but if both teams split I like my odds over there even if I’m slightly outnumbered. 

Likewise I’ve been on the other end of it and won by being patient and resetting cap until the red team lost there’s. It’s a good map from either side though, there are lots of options no matter what your team chooses to do. 

Edited by 4sfield, 02 May 2018 - 03:30 AM.

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

FREE _stealy!!!

rosgrim #24 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:41 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 87801 battles
  • [COD]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 02 May 2018 - 12:54 AM, said:

This is a damn fine thread and this is the sort of discussion that makes it worth being part of this community.  

Keep it rolling lads.

one of the best thread I ever seen in this forum. Very interesting. Thanks to all of you. And by the way @reluctanttheist I used to do the same of you....well, till now :)

richdubz #25 Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:44 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18652 battles
  • [AJAX]

View PostDark_Magician_Girl, on 01 May 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

Cap side is always better.

Wait a second, Mr Smarty-pants.  There’s a new video out just yesterday that probably can tell me a lot more about this map than you.  Um...hang on...somebody is using your name on YouTube?  You’d better look into this issue.

richdubz #26 Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:47 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18652 battles
  • [AJAX]

View Postandyllinger, on 01 May 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

It depends on how many meds/lights you have on your team and the red team, s.e corner works great for fast tanks that can flank if necessary.

canal is such a well balanced map that is one of the few that hasn't been modified since it was introduced, one of my favorites for sure.

Agreed on both points, but I’ve had a team blown apart when red used the strategy described by the OP, and the worst part was it only took four red tanks to do it.  We clobbered three of theirs that went SE, but they put heavies on either side of the NW ridge, a TD on the hill behind the rock, and one in cap.  We were all lights and mediums and got ripped up when we tried to reset.

It’s also a great map for TD’s whether used aggressively or in a support role.

Edited by richdubz, 02 May 2018 - 06:01 AM.

averagebot #27 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:29 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 51318 battles
  • [GRMPS]

I like hills and generally go that way, but if good players are on the map.  Cap side is better due to being capped out.  IMHO

That being said I will still go hills when I can get away with it.

Chariot_Solace #28 Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:22 AM

Stug Life

• Players
  • 50217 battles
  • [_STR8]

View PostLIGHTS___OUT, on 01 May 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

WHAT????   You have never heard of Brisket?   The clan made by meat lovers for meat lovers.

That tells me all I need to know about you.

Spoiler

lol. Vegans are indeed insane. Just tell your team “hold.” “I’ll spot.” People are usually happy to camp. It can be a bit more tricky if you’re the td asking people to spot, but it can be done.

Edited by Chariot_Solace, 02 May 2018 - 11:23 AM.

Garage: 199 Tier Xs: 21 Lines I'm Grinding: 5 Favorite Tank: E75 Top 100 Tanks: 77 Premiums: 73 Aced: 256/266

https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/Chariot_Solace

michaeltsoon #29 Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

No.1 Gold-Slinging Unicum

• Players
  • 36775 battles
  • [HATED]
Canal is a very dynamic map, imho.

If you're driving a slow heavy, and decide to go northeast corner, pray that the reds are either clueless or on other side of map. Otherwise, rip.

If in a fast heavy, or hevium, rushing northwest corner is a great way to farm assisted damage.

Meanwhile, TDs usually camp near spawn. Two sides to the story here. #1. Don't get hit by TDs on reds. #2 if you are driving one of the said TDs, watch your rear, and retreat into cover as soon as you're spotted.

The small town in middle is usually a deathtrap unless if you know what you're doing.

If you decide to go northeast corner, rush quickly and gain the hills between the small building about 300-400 meters from spawn. Otherwise, reds can have vehicles maneuver to the back, and they will have free shots on your rear. Watch your positioning, try not to get by TDs as there are only so many spots they could be hiding in.

To Dr, there are many viable tactics for canal, and I've listed a few of them .Ultimately, it's all situational and it's up to you to choose what you think is best.

Edited by michaeltsoon, 02 May 2018 - 11:36 AM.

Data/Video Analyof [HATED] - Hated for a reason.

Founder of [PZ3] - Always Loyal, Always Fighting, Always Courageous. PZ3 will carry!

"War does not determine who is right, only who is left" - Bertrand Russell 

My stats

Fu_Manchu_ #30 Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11595 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 01 May 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

South spawn has a slight advantage in the supremacy layout due to the one building having a bush right up against it looking over B cap. Someone in that bush will either spot a red going into B or basically confirm where to blindfire at. Also, most of the time you can spot anything going up to A cap with less than a 20%(ish) moving camo value while not being spotted because you're stationary in a bush. The north doesn't have this advantage.

I used to love that spot in my Tiger (P) during its buff days. The ROF was high enough that I could hit tanks twice when they were going through that spot at the end of the green arrow and a third time as they passed A2. That meant they were down about 700 hp before even getting to A, and I could do it to multiple tanks. I could also single handedly prevent up to 2 tanks from capping B (my best was driving off 2 heavies who tried to cap but I reset it too fast and got them both down to about half hp, and then an IS came to try after them and I wiped him out completely).

I can still do it post-nerf, but can only get two shots in on the guys going to A and can only prevent the cap if it is a single red capping.

View Postreluctanttheist, on 01 May 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

This is a damn fine thread and this is the sort of discussion that makes it worth being part of this community.  

Keep it rolling lads.

Agreed.

View Postmichaeltsoon, on 02 May 2018 - 04:35 AM, said:

Canal is a very dynamic map, imho.

If you're driving a slow heavy, and decide to go northeast corner, pray that the reds are either clueless or on other side of map. Otherwise, rip.

If in a fast heavy, or hevium, rushing northwest corner is a great way to farm assisted damage.

Meanwhile, TDs usually camp near spawn. Two sides to the story here. #1. Don't get hit by TDs on reds. #2 if you are driving one of the said TDs, watch your rear, and retreat into cover as soon as you're spotted.

The small town in middle is usually a deathtrap unless if you know what you're doing.

If you decide to go northeast corner, rush quickly and gain the hills between the small building about 300-400 meters from spawn. Otherwise, reds can have vehicles maneuver to the back, and they will have free shots on your rear. Watch your positioning, try not to get by TDs as there are only so many spots they could be hiding in.

To Dr, there are many viable tactics for canal, and I've listed a few of them .Ultimately, it's all situational and it's up to you to choose what you think is best.

Agreed. This is one of those maps that I don't have a set strategy going in, unless of course it's supremacy and I'm in a high DPM tank spawning on the south side in which case I go with the strategy noted above.

AKA HanYolo_.

Wombeer #31 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31191 battles
  • [GMA]

I have a related question - what is the best spot to go to if you find yourself in a 1 v 1 scenario on this map (encounter)? I won one yesterday in the Super Pershing against an IS5 at the end, but I realized that I had no intuitive understanding of where I should be and merely got lucky that he had holed himself up at A3 behind a building while I was at cap. I ended up rolling through the valley in B2 with the assumption that he was in A1 and hoped to use his poor gun depression against him as I went up the hill, but I didn't need to do that in the end since it came down to a simple sidescrape contest.  

I know this is more a situational thing based on tank types, but is the bush Dan Deerso pointed out a good spot since it has views on cap and both approaches from A1 while being cloaked? Or is it generally safer to attempt a cap to prevent a Draw and hope that you can get your gun on them fast enough when they come one of two ways (with a bit of lead time from proximity spotting)? Any better ideas? 

krietenstein34 #32 Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31749 battles
  • [HAHA]

SE corner all day long.....Mediums/ lights regardless of spawn

In a heavy from south spawn..................  Usually Go SE corner

In a heavy from north spawn.............    I usually move forward and left to Peek a Boo hill and aim for SE corner.

I really can't remember last time I went on Northside on that map...    When I am there it's usually just to mop up the capper and his window licking buddy.

In a Matilda .....................    different ballgame.  

:girl:

ahredstealth #33 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:47 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

The best side of Canal is which ever side of the map I'm on.

So, if you're on Green, try and keep up.  If you're on Red, try and make it a challenge.  I hate to be bored.

I've done the spotting thing from the low lands around the cap circle because my team of window licking TDs wanted to go mountain climbing.

I've done the Hide in the Hills and Blast things as Reds come out of the wood work at you.

I've capped to draw in so that my team of window lickers didn't get lost or fall off bridges.

I've bailed on the hills, circled around the map, and then killed kobo'd from any random spot on the map after my team died on me because they picked the wrong side.

I've popped up on the side hills with a fast light tank and Pew Pew'd from odd spots to carry.

I've tracked and HP drained to help Zip^Squared get a Raisin in tier ten with his Leo on that map just because.

Use what you have.  Don't play to a stagnant META because as soon as you do, the counter-META will be discovered.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.  Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow or it can crash.

Be water, my friend.

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

4sfield #34 Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:16 PM

Space Lord

• Players
  • 33335 battles
  • [-1]

View Postahredstealth, on 02 May 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

The best side of Canal is which ever side of the map I'm on.

So, if you're on Green, try and keep up.  If you're on Red, try and make it a challenge.  I hate to be bored.

I've done the spotting thing from the low lands around the cap circle because my team of window licking TDs wanted to go mountain climbing.

I've done the Hide in the Hills and Blast things as Reds come out of the wood work at you.

I've capped to draw in so that my team of window lickers didn't get lost or fall off bridges.

I've bailed on the hills, circled around the map, and then killed kobo'd from any random spot on the map after my team died on me because they picked the wrong side.

I've popped up on the side hills with a fast light tank and Pew Pew'd from odd spots to carry.

I've tracked and HP drained to help Zip^Squared get a Raisin in tier ten with his Leo on that map just because.

Use what you have.  Don't play to a stagnant META because as soon as you do, the counter-META will be discovered.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.  Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow or it can crash.

Be water, my friend.

You can be water if you want, I’m staying glue. Glue fixes everything and holds things together that tend to come apart on you.

I’ve done all of those things above myself, the common denominator is trash. Once something is trash, glue can’t even fix it. I see your point, sometimes you need to be water. 

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

FREE _stealy!!!

_Crusader6_ #35 Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:04 PM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 65344 battles
  • [SURG3]

Four times today I had 1/2 a team stay in spawn.  

Not covered - just window licking in the open.  

In tier 9-10 battles.   

Then they spam help...

Yes you may have guessed over 50% of then where 183’s...    

Tank Hoarder: 401 tanks in Garage:  412/412 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

minitel_NA #36 Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 01 May 2018 - 10:24 PM, said:

Hey all

For many games I've directed teams to the southeast corner of Canal to the hills, and waited for red to show up and get rekt while green employs hull down tactics.

I was tooned with someone from the forums (Posit1ve maybe?) and we got rekt by a platoon from GP who played the other corner.  Someone got the cap timer running, and they lured us in.  The high TD perch worked with a couple of heavies who poked out from the hills on each side, and didn't offer much for us to hit.

If reds are impatient, hills wins.  But if red is patient, the cap-and-bait meta works even better it seems.

Spoiler

It was a classic move made public in the first twister cup. It’s hard to pull with a noob fest team though, unless it’s late in the game, you know yiur snipers in the corner will never move, and you are low heath. In that case, capping or having someone cap while u spot is a very good way out of the situation.

there is more to this side though. 

One that my mates made a few times was to directly push through the bridge and ruin their campers and noobs, while their meds went the old meds way. This turns a game into a very quick 3 or 4 reds vs 6 greens situation. the thing is I can’t tell very clearly when it will be a good way to use that move.

the move that I’m using much these days, — and mostly because I’m driving lights only, lights that would die fast if I go face the meds in their allies, supported by two-broken-arms and his window-licker platoon mate — is to ask my team to go cap side, while I  go straight to that middle bridge but not cross it. From there I spot entire red noob train going to camp in that corner, and immediately some fire occurs. The good part is some of my team guns aren’t visible,  while most reds will be crossing open fields showing their sides flat and exposed. The rest of the game is my team finally getting installed in the corner, and me either capping or spotting the remaining of the reds trying to come. I can even be more agressive and trying to spot them while they are still on the med hilltops. A variation is trying to spot the red tds at some point. This is the most delicate moment, as usually they can one shot me, especially if team doesn’t cover me with fire that is strong, fast and accurate enough.

so that’s how I play this map nowadays. I had fairly decent success, except one time when my team didn’t fire, they ignored the reds and insisted on first going to that corner. We had a hard time defeating the red heavies  travelling without shooting enough. Meanwhile reds meds had all the time to run around the map and come in my team’s  back which then got caught in a yucky sandwich. 

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

minitel_NA #37 Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

Here down some sketch from map inspector to illustrate my point. I’m a high tier light tank  in yellow. 

(Click on the link to edit the original drawing)

Reciprocate from the other spawn

note that the same is possible from the south spawn, rushing to the entrance of that same bridge. Though that side is more difficult. Especially when you start shooting, which ruins your camo and hiding on this side is much more difficult.  If some reds are already  far enough towards the NW corner they might shower u very hard since the buildings aren’t really shielding you (or t least I haven’t figured out how just yet).

Alternatively if I can’t spot anyone at that point sometimes I don’t even slow down and push across the bridge alone to go find the reds where they are, and that will usually be 2 heavies ambushing to the right,  approximately above the yellow “alt”. If I arrive in their back, I can do some damage. When they pursue me they fall into the green fire and that’s 2 less tanks in red. Sometimes a TD is still sitting at spawn or I totally missed seeing a TD in the NW corner and there things can suddenly get ugly for me. If at anytime some issue arises, jumping into the base pit is the best option. 

Its basically what dandeerso wrote there, but in encounters

View PostDan_Deerso, on 01 May 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

South spawn has a slight advantage in the supremacy layout due to the one building having a bush right up against it looking over B cap. Someone in that bush will either spot a red going into B or basically confirm where to blindfire at. Also, most of the time you can spot anything going up to A cap with less than a 20%(ish) moving camo value while not being spotted because you're stationary in a bush. The north doesn't have this advantage.

I also enjoyed posit1ve_ ers post a lot. Need to think about what he wrote some more...

Let me know if that all all makes sense and if that agressive spotting gives any result for you ( good or bad)

good luck !

Edited by minitel_NA, 03 May 2018 - 12:10 AM.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

RommelTanker #38 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:32 AM

He who is supremely annoying

• Players
  • 7542 battles
  • [ACTS2]

I despise Canal, frankly. As a result, I just set myself up on one of the spawn sniper hills and farm while my team flounders about like a fish out of water. It's a map entirely built around the concept of efficient teamwork, a concept very far lost on today's playerbase. And while I can say, I win more often on Canal than not, it's not a map that I appreciate.

That out of the way, I can pretty much say there are technically two metas on Canal. No this is not pun referring to Supremacy, which has basically the same meta.

The first of the two is the heavy-heavy (I.E. more than 2 heavies) in which most of the team will go (In both encounter and suprem) to the general areas of A and C captures. This gives the heavies a place to brawl, and breaks open a sniping position for TDs to exploit (It offers and open firing line straight into B, C, and D), while the lights and mediums can crack some skulls by flanking the remaining enemy forces. The other is the scout-heavy (More than 2 mediums/lights), in which players will engage their inner CS:GO and "Rush D cyat blayt". TDs will normally camp the spawn hills to get shots into opposing TDs (if they become spotted) and enemy forces in the far corner. In this situation, the southern spawn has an advantage, as it has a larger space of workable cover (The broken down train station and bridge toll booth just slightly east of Spawn 2). The northern spawn gets a more advantageous sniping hill though, so it's a Pick your Poison scenario.

Of the two metas, I'm normally subjected to the latter at low tiers and the former at high tiers (IS spam is a b*tch, sometimes).

Edited by RommelTanker, 03 May 2018 - 12:41 AM.

Something something insert joke here

Ericmopar #39 Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:34 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3271 battles

View Postreluctanttheist, on 01 May 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

Hey all

For many games I've directed teams to the southeast corner of Canal to the hills, and waited for red to show up and get rekt while green employs hull down tactics.

I was tooned with someone from the forums (Posit1ve maybe?) and we got rekt by a platoon from GP who played the other corner.  Someone got the cap timer running, and they lured us in.  The high TD perch worked with a couple of heavies who poked out from the hills on each side, and didn't offer much for us to hit.

If reds are impatient, hills wins.  But if red is patient, the cap-and-bait meta works even better it seems.

Spoiler

I think either way can work, although I prefer hills with whole team. That usually works.

Whatever people do, don't go right up the middle at the start of the match!

Usually what happens for me, is going to that back corner where there is the hills and the little railroad building. Then you can piecemeal the red stragglers to bits (usually)

I can't count the times I've used cover from those hills and buildings along the outer borders of the Canal map, to wreak havoc on reds sitting right in the middle.

Like Middleburg I think the hills are a good place to start, but also like Middleburg, it's not a sure thing.

Edited by Ericmopar, 03 May 2018 - 05:35 AM.

Old and Treacherous Flying Monkey.

Vacazion #40 Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:22 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 75162 battles
  • [MINE]

Like Crusader, depends more on the tank layout.  The OP shows an effective position but rarely pans out that way in pub matches.  

However, my general preference is South East.  The meta has teams circling right.  Heavies and some TDs starting on the east side have to turn tanks 180 degrees to go left and get over that bridge.  For newbs it’s like pulling teeth to do that.  On the west side the meds and tds are bunched up at the rails so often easier to get a TD to go right on the west side especially there is that sniper hill right at the spawn.  

So why do I prefer South East?  Generally speaking, the hills and ridges make for good hull down and peek a boom tactics.  Skilled players can make good use of it.  

If I’m in a med or light I can escape quickly if outnumbered so long as I don’t push too far.   Be patient to see how the reds pop up.   The problem is getting the TDs and heavies to turn 180 degrees  (esp on the East side spawn where you have to get over that bridge to go left).  If they do, it’s a going to go well for the team.   If the heavies and TDs go north and there is an even matched med light fight, I like my chances. If reds go north I can flank.  If you are outnumbered just fall back and go north.  If I’m in a heavy or TD and I go SE, I can often convince others to do so.  In which case you have done something special in going against the circle right meta.  The meds light will go too because they have support and you’ll have a caravan team that will usually steamroll.

Edited by Vacazion, 03 May 2018 - 07:24 AM.

Ace Mastery Badges: 336 tanks 

Also tagged with Canal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users