• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Dan_Deerso #21 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:20 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 18736 battles
  • [MOMS]

View Posttiger_strike_23, on 14 May 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

I prefer to go to the city in my heavies and td's because of limited gun depression, and the team can bait people to rush down the hill to the town. I go hill in mediums because I just cant fight in the city without hull down positions. It depends on what type of tank i'm in, but if the whole team goes town and plays it right you can win easily

Look, I appreciate that you have a solid positioning and you've reasoned it out so that it sounds like a good plan, but I've probably won more games on Middleberg than you've won on all maps combined. 

Because of that experience, I can tell you that for a fact, it's harder to win from the town than it is from the hill regardless of tank class. Since skill of a team is random, you can't reliably run a strategy that hinges on "if the team plays it right". If you're limited on gun depression, stick to the flat parts or learn how to "lean" your tank on ridges and the like to force your gun down. It's a better strategic position, and gives you more avenues of fire, and because it's uphill any enemies trying to push it get bogged down and shredded. Cap baiting doesn't work, because any smart person knows exactly where in the circle you'll be sitting. The ONLY win condition for town is having a majority of the red team yolo off the ridge at you. If even just two or three good people stay on the ridge, they can make mincemeat of your entire team after they get ballsy and start up the face of the ridge.

A scrub team on the hill VS a good team in the town is about even odds.

Fu_Manchu_ #22 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6950 battles
  • [STFU1]

View Postolddatsunfan, on 14 May 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

I played on middleburg this morning with my Sherman V as low tier for it's birthday.  The red team had 4 medium and lights, we had a AC-4 and myself.  Our entire team went town and I joined them, but, our AC-4 went hill alone and got killed quickly.  Red came down after us and got knocked down to a last VK28.01 which managed to kill off 2 of of 4 of us before we killed him.  It's situational, in general, if the team will co operate, it's MUCH better to go hill, if not, play the town cautiously and hope red comes down after you.

This is true. It is better to go town with the rest of your team than go hill by yourself while the rest of your team goes town. Having said that, you should try to get your team to go hill. But some people will never listen.

One RNG to rule them all,

One RNG to find them;

One RNG to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

tiger_strike_23 #23 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:27 PM

Private

• Players
  • 5678 battles
  • [LEEDL]

View PostWipWapJaws, on 14 May 2018 - 08:45 PM, said:

Well OP I guess that if fairly definitive.  Never go town!

when it does work going town that 1 in 100 time it actually works is probably because the reds are more stupid than ur team and it’s a complete fluke that u won

just went town in panther 2, the rest of the team followed except 2 m41 bulldogs. they got killed by a t49 and ru251, and we won the town. we then held the town and severly damaged the ru, killed the t49(who had pushed the town) and went up the hill. As we were going up, the last player, a super pershing pushed down against 4 tanks. It went rather well. The reason I posted this was because this seems to happen a lot for me, and I think the town isn't as bad if you play it right.

Absolute_Sniper #24 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 21706 battles
  • [CRU3L]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 14 May 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

Look, I appreciate that you have a solid positioning and you've reasoned it out so that it sounds like a good plan, but I've probably won more games on Middleberg than you've won on all maps combined. 

Because of that experience, I can tell you that for a fact, it's harder to win from the town than it is from the hill regardless of tank class. Since skill of a team is random, you can't reliably run a strategy that hinges on "if the team plays it right". If you're limited on gun depression, stick to the flat parts or learn how to "lean" your tank on ridges and the like to force your gun down. It's a better strategic position, and gives you more avenues of fire, and because it's uphill any enemies trying to push it get bogged down and shredded. Cap baiting doesn't work, because any smart person knows exactly where in the circle you'll be sitting. The ONLY win condition for town is having a majority of the red team yolo off the ridge at you. If even just two or three good people stay on the ridge, they can make mincemeat of your entire team after they get ballsy and start up the face of the ridge.

A scrub team on the hill VS a good team in the town is about even odds.

A good team on the hill is near unbeatable if reds go town

Fu_Manchu_ #25 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6950 battles
  • [STFU1]

View Posttiger_strike_23, on 14 May 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

just went town in panther 2, the rest of the team followed except 2 m41 bulldogs. they got killed by a t49 and ru251, and we won the town. we then held the town and severly damaged the ru, killed the t49(who had pushed the town) and went up the hill. As we were going up, the last player, a super pershing pushed down against 4 tanks. It went rather well. The reason I posted this was because this seems to happen a lot for me, and I think the town isn't as bad if you play it right.

One anecdote where you went town and won really doesn't matter.

One RNG to find them;

BorisBaddenov #26 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:49 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 19997 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View Posttiger_strike_23, on 14 May 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

Tiger -

You win just over 50% your games, and you go town.

The guys with over 60% win rate - go hill.

Which do you want to be -- a just over 50% player - or an over 60% player?    

Peace-

Boris

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

Kade18 #27 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:52 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8679 battles
  • [CRUEL]

View Posttiger_strike_23, on 14 May 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Okay this literally doesn’t matter, the only reason you won this game was because two of their t8 tanks went up while only two of ur t7 tanks went up, giving you the advantage in town, had they all gone hill you would’ve lost almost immediately because they had high ground, hp advantage, 2 extra guns, better positioning, better armor, less exposure needed to shoot u, more map control, need I go on?  Just take our word for it, if you are too ignorant to listen to literally every single unicum on the forum then that’s 100% ur fault and that makes you even worse of a player than ppl who don’t try to learn about the game because you tried but the second you got an answer that you didn’t like you went into denial about it. Just listen to us, play the game with intelligence, and stop making it the cancerfest that it is today. NOBODY CARES HOW SLOW UR TANK IS SUCK IT UP AND BE BORED FOR 30 SECONDS

Kade18 — Dauntless

Become a part of the CRUEL/CRU3L discord community

https://discord.gg/4PEJ9zy

ZoneZ72 #28 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14189 battles
  • [C-4]
its almost always hill unless your team has all heavies and TDs. in that case go town and cap. In supremacy you want to push through fast and cap both bases, then STAY THERE. In encounter you want 2 tanks with good frontal armor in the cap base. With the new rapid capture skill the enemy will only have barely 40 seconds to get down here.

ZoneZ72 #29 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:58 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14189 battles
  • [C-4]
And as a T95 driver I always tell my team to go hill and kinda camp base. I can stay alive long enough so that my team can snipe away at least 4 tanks along with my own shots. if your T95 cant do that.... well its not really worth saving.

Ericmopar #30 Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3203 battles

View Posttiger_strike_23, on 14 May 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

If the team has a slow tank that has spawned near the city, and the rest of the team is mediums and lights, shouldn't the fast tanks support the slow one near town? If the enemies push city then the slower tank will be killed by them going up the hill from spawn. So the slow tank will either die going to the hill or die in the city, that's why I think sometimes it is reasonable to go town. Whenever my team has a t95 that spawns by the city, we always go city because we recognize that it would never make it up the hill. I usually win when supporting tanks in the town.

All my heavies except my Löwe can get up the hill in a reasonable amount of time. If I'm in the Löwe I'm usually screwed. The faster reds know this and will come through town and shoot me long before I can get up the hill, and no one on my own team will hang back and offer supporting fire from the ridge top. 

I then have to attempt to turn around about half way up and return fire, at which point the assbites will start in, in the chat that I'm supposedly camping and all that crap.

Usually though when I'm in my KV-I or other tanks, I can get up to the ridge in time.

WG should just spawn all the tanks together. Spawning the tanks all over the maps, is a serious problem in all versions of the game.

Last night on Mirage, I was the only heavy on my team and they went beach and Cap without me and I was rapidly destroyed by 2 KV-2 and a KV-1S plus some other red heavy I never identified.

Some moron in chat said Fight "P Word" like I could do something about getting rushed by 4 heavies in a Kuro and whoever else was on red.

The chat is way worse than when I first started playing a year ago. 

I'd also like to know why, I'm getting about 90% games at low tier... The more I play the game the less I'm allowed to be high tier i've noticed.

Edited by Ericmopar, 14 May 2018 - 11:03 PM.

Old and Treacherous Flying Monkey.

BorisBaddenov #31 Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:05 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 19997 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View PostEricmopar, on 14 May 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

All my heavies except my Löwe can get up the hill in a reasonable amount of time. If I'm in the Löwe I'm usually screwed. The faster reds know this and will come through town and shoot me long before I can get up the hill, and no one on my own team will hang back and offer supporting fire from the ridge top. 

I then have to attempt to turn around about half way up and return fire, at which point the assbites will start in, in the chat that I'm supposedly camping and all that crap.

Usually though when I'm in my KV-I or other tanks, I can get up to the ridge in time.

WG should just spawn all the tanks together. Spawning the tanks all over the maps, is a serious problem in all versions of the game.

Last night on Mirage, I was the only heavy on my team and they went beach and Cap without me and I was rapidly destroyed by 2 KV-2 and a KV-1S plus some other red heavy I never identified.

Some moron in chat said Fight "P Word" like I could do something about getting rushed by 4 heavies in a Kuro and whoever else was on red.

The chat is way worse than when I first started playing a year ago. 

I'd also like to know why, I'm getting about 90% games at low tier... The more I play the game the less I'm allowed to be high tier i've noticed.

They should have gone beach - and you should have gone with them.  The KMM is fast enough that you would not have been caught.  

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

___ez_e___ #32 Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:04 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 56313 battles
  • [GORT]

View PostFu_Manchu_, on 14 May 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

This is true. It is better to go town with the rest of your team than go hill by yourself while the rest of your team goes town. Having said that, you should try to get your team to go hill. But some people will never listen.

hummmmm......I’m torn on this one.  

There have been many times where I am the only one to go hill and pulled out the win.   On the same token, I’ve lost going up hill alone.   

I’m at the point where I’m willing to still go hill alone and make sure I have a good escape route if things collapse quickly.     At least, I can try to pull out the win.  

DanAnsomeHansome #33 Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:39 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32121 battles
  • [MOMS]
I swear if I see a pair of American heavies ignore the call and go town again like they did today I’m quitting.

Negaclaw #34 Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:40 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8224 battles
  • [UNI0N]

View PostDanAnsomeHansome, on 14 May 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

I swear if I see a pair of American heavies ignore the call and go town again like they did today I’m quitting.

you can always count on those m6 drivers to not listen to you

shoot ur skeet and hit that yeet

Ericmopar #35 Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:10 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3203 battles

View Postcheasesteak, on 14 May 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

​Pushing doesn't work well in most situations.  It is generally better to let the faster tanks get up the hill to start fighting than to delay helping the slower tanks. 

On Middleburg the faster tanks are already spawned up the hill, that is the problem.

I agree with others though, the mediums and lights shouldn't come down and push.

What some of them should do, and I do, is try to give the heavies some hull down cover fire to protect their rear end while coming up the hill.

It has to be done right, but if the team is heavy, as in like 4 on your team, and the drivers actually know what to do, then town is viable.

The problem is the heavies tend to go straight to cap like idiots. If they form a perimeter along the water and wait while sidescaping and the lights and mediums take peeks out side the town to spot the red team's locations, then  flank the reds and keep them looking the wrong way with occasional shots, then town can be tough to dig out and usually wins in that situation.

However... what really happens most of the time, is the lights and mediums go into town and try to brawl along side the heavies in a traffic jam like encounter that leads to loss. Doing things like blocking the heavies from backing into cover while they reload etc.

Ericmopar #36 Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:17 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3203 battles

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 14 May 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

They should have gone beach - and you should have gone with them.  The KMM is fast enough that you would not have been caught.  

Unless that fast red tracks you before you hardly get going from the spawn right?

I haven't had much luck winning on the beach in months, usually if the whole team goes lake, there is much more cover plus taking the ridges to shoot from as the other team tries to rush back from the beach.

Usually if my team goes beach, the reds aren't there these days and they are dug in around the lake and housing and shooting you from the ridgetop.

It's really tough to dig out a team if they get those low spots along the lake and housing first. lots of hull down over there etc.

Ericmopar #37 Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:23 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3203 battles

View PostZebraUp, on 14 May 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

At Middleburg in an encounter battle always go Up! If you're in a slow tank by the time you get up there you will have had plenty of time to see what is going on and how you can best contribute to your team. If you're worried about getting shot in the butt on your slow way up, don't be! Their heavies won't just rush through town to shoot you in the rear.. they're slow too! And their lights and mediums are already on the hill!!

If a unicum driving a T95 goes hill then you should too!

*The only time that doesn't hold true is in a Supremacy battle.. and even then only when your team outnumbers the reds in heavies and TDs by a significant amount.

It's surprising how many times their lights go through town when they know certain tanks are dead slow going up that hill. They'll kill me, then go towards the church and flank up the hill a minute later there...

Edited by Ericmopar, 15 May 2018 - 01:24 AM.

NoobieDude #38 Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:22 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2768 battles
  • [CYRUS]
i love this guide. thanx tiger strike.

RogueGen #39 Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:59 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18441 battles
  • [6_CAV]

View PostEricmopar, on 15 May 2018 - 01:23 AM, said:

It's surprising how many times their lights go through town when they know certain tanks are dead slow going up that hill. They'll kill me, then go towards the church and flank up the hill a minute later there...

I've had that happen before were a couple of light tanks rushed around the bottom of the hill to get at my T28 Proto and a JagTig88. But I was set up already in a hull down position at the bottom of the hill and they paid for killing the JagTiger that was "to slow" to even get to town. Its not the easiest flank attack to see coming, but its usually the dumbest one to attempt. They could've pushed hill and made it 7v5 and instead they tried to flank early and made it a 5v5 for the top of the hill. 

Fu_Manchu_ #40 Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6950 battles
  • [STFU1]

View Post___ez_e___, on 14 May 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

hummmmm......I’m torn on this one.  

There have been many times where I am the only one to go hill and pulled out the win.   On the same token, I’ve lost going up hill alone.   

I’m at the point where I’m willing to still go hill alone and make sure I have a good escape route if things collapse quickly.     At least, I can try to pull out the win.  

I'm sure it can work. You better be in a very fast tank for that escape plan to work. Personally, I will always choose to go with the team rather than go hill alone. Unless it's supremacy and I have reason to believe that all of red will go town. In that case, I will try to cap C and then take shots from the hill or  join my team in town if no shots present themselves.

One RNG to find them;

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users