How to Improve Situational Awareness

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

XTREMEgecko79 #1 Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7888 battles
  • [-VB-]
Hey guys, I need some help. It's very easy for me to "micromanage" one spot of the battle and focus in and ignore crucial other parts of the battle happening. Any tips for being for situationally aware? Thank you for the tips, very appreciative!

Edited by XTREMEgecko79, 15 May 2018 - 06:21 PM.

A little bird once told me how to gain credits fast: "Club the seals and sell the fur and hide." 

_Duncan_Idaho_ #2 Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31578 battles
  • [DUNE_]
check the mini map during reload. enable the lookout area feature (so you can quickly scan the battlefield without moving your turret). Pay attention to the initial trajectory of your team so you have an idea of where they might end up. . . but if you have to micro manage, then at least focus fire. The fewer reds on the battlefield, the easier it is to be aware of them all.

PanzertroopenVT #3 Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6976 battles

Watching fingers videos helped mine mine a ton 

Panzerwaffe, later also Panzertruppe (German for "Armoured Force", "Armoured Arm" or "Tank Force". Waffe[combat] "arm") refers to a command within the Heer of the GermanWehrmacht, responsible for the affairs of panzer (tank) and motorized forces shortly before and during the Second World War

GeneralBossman #4 Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11421 battles
  • [RNSF]

In the back of your mind, always try and keep track of where enemy tanks either currently are or are most likely to be. If your heavies are fighting it out in town with red's heavies, make sure you have a good idea where their meds and lights may be BEFORE going on a flank so you don't get surprised by an angry welcoming party. Like what's been said before, check your minimap to get an idea of where your team and the enemy teams are.

Basically, avoid getting surprised by the enemy by paying attention to their locations (use the minimap!), and use this information to in turn surprise them.

XTREMEgecko79 #5 Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7888 battles
  • [-VB-]

Thanks for the help guys!

A little bird once told me how to gain credits fast: "Club the seals and sell the fur and hide." 

reluctanttheist #6 Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:05 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 21968 battles
  • [III-H]
Look at the minimap often.  See where the reds are.  Make a point of watching that thing.  Do it when you fire, do it after you fire.  If you don't need to look at your screen, look at the map.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

Jonny_applesauce #7 Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3507 battles
  • [ST4RZ]
When I am reloading I make it a habit to zoom out and scan the map 

WoT blitz is better than WoT PC imho because no arty and +/- 1 mm.

Jonny Applesauce

mlacunza #8 Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:29 PM

Tanquista Peruano

• Players
  • 36793 battles
  • [DBLAT]
Like others said: check your minimap! I improve my game a lot doing it, if you like watching videos about the game, start your training checking the YouTuber minimap... Many times I was impressed about how the hell he can guess that tank comes from the left, after a rewind I can see that tank appears on his minimap, so the player was checking it all the time...

Saludos!

GableHawk #9 Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19899 battles
  • [F_S]

View Postmlacunza, on 15 May 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

Like others said: check your minimap! I improve my game a lot doing it, if you like watching videos about the game, start your training checking the YouTuber minimap... Many times I was impressed about how the hell he can guess that tank comes from the left, after a rewind I can see that tank appears on his minimap, so the player was checking it all the time...

What youtuber are you watching?

mlacunza #10 Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:09 PM

Tanquista Peruano

• Players
  • 36793 battles
  • [DBLAT]

View PostGableHawk, on 15 May 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

I'm watching Russians superunis like bertushka (this man the other day in live Master four times in a row the t54) perfect mind, artik, ishood...

Saludos!

reluctanttheist #11 Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 21968 battles
  • [III-H]
Don't forget to enable and use the lookout area!  Use it often to keep an eye on the reds without having to traverse your turret.  KBM users: right-click and hold, then move your mouse to look around

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

Kade18 #12 Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8679 battles
  • [CRUEL]

View PostXTREMEgecko79, on 15 May 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

Hey guys, I need some help. It's very easy for me to "micromanage" one spot of the battle and focus in and ignore crucial other parts of the battle happening. Any tips for being for situationally aware? Thank you for the tips, very appreciative!

COUNT TANKS!!!!!!

Kade18 — Dauntless

Become a part of the CRUEL/CRU3L discord community

https://discord.gg/4PEJ9zy

ShootinSabot #13 Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15741 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostKade18, on 15 May 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

COUNT TANKS!!!!!!

1 tank, 2 tanks, 3 tanks...... when do I get my  cookie?

! one of things that I am trying is to change the markers so only the red have the tier symbols. It makes it easier to get a count from the little white marker rather than all the other stuff.

Full time Spud, part time potato 

Striving to be an Ambassador to help grow the game. 

player_1234567890 #14 Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23378 battles
  • [OMK]

Multitask!:izmena:

Use your eyes kind of like how a jet fighter pilot uses theirs.:playing:

Be constantly aware of what's happening everywhere at all times. Don't just look at the minimap every once in a while.

Look at it simultaneously while you are looking at the main battle screen. That little map holds a whole lot of valuable info imo. 

While you are engaging one tank, you should already be thinking ahead and choosing your next target or victim and where you will move to next after you destroy the first one.:justwait:

Edited by player_1234567890, 15 May 2018 - 09:28 PM.

Flexsphincter1 #15 Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 15413 battles
  • [BWING]

View Post_Duncan_Idaho_, on 15 May 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

check the mini map during reload. enable the lookout area feature (so you can quickly scan the battlefield without moving your turret). Pay attention to the initial trajectory of your team so you have an idea of where they might end up. . . but if you have to micro manage, then at least focus fire. The fewer reds on the battlefield, the easier it is to be aware of them all.

I'm on pc can u tell me how/what button ,so I can look around and not move turret," lookout area", I cant find and after 15k battles I wish I could find.

XTREMEgecko79 #16 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:24 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7888 battles
  • [-VB-]

View PostGableHawk, on 15 May 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

Bushka, Schwalbe, angaal

XTREMEgecko79 #17 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:25 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7888 battles
  • [-VB-]

View Postplayer_1234567890, on 15 May 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

Multitask!:izmena:

Use your eyes kind of like how a jet fighter pilot uses theirs.:playing:

Be constantly aware of what's happening everywhere at all times. Don't just look at the minimap every once in a while.

Look at it simultaneously while you are looking at the main battle screen. That little map holds a whole lot of valuable info imo. 

While you are engaging one tank, you should already be thinking ahead and choosing your next target or victim and where you will move to next after you destroy the first one.:justwait:

Thanks, I’ll definitey try!

minitel_NA #18 Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 451 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostXTREMEgecko79, on 15 May 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

Micromanage one spot is called tunnel vision, and it doesn’t win many games.

for situational awareness my basic process is like that :

chapter 1 : setting up

1. read the teamlist
  2. who is my archenemy (hide) ? Who is my natural prey (seek) ? Who will have no influence on the battle (ignore) ? Those are a combination of tank + driver + clan + tier+-1
  3. what map is this and where should I go ?

chapter 2: in battle

1. read minimap every 5-10s
  2. count every tank green and red every time
  3. who is visible ? Where are they going ? Who is missing ? Why ? What do they want ? What would I do if I were them ?
  4. now it’s time to repeat everything from ch1 step 1, sometimes u can shortcut to ch2 step1

You need to repeat that every time you can, and have a glance around your tank after every shot. Doing this will be very disturbing for a while. You will be in the middle of a brawl and will suddenly need to pause to check all this. You will die. But taking the habit is more important. Also doing it right after you came out victorious of a furious struggle is extremely important. Nothing is more frustrating than walking away, just to be killed by a sniper or driving by noob. After a little while your brain will automate the process and you will be able to drive and shoot while this goes on in the background.

and then it will click and you will monitor the entire map at all times, naturally. 

I compare it to driving on a busy freeway, you need to check all rear view mirrors and all blind angles constantly. But you got used to doing it without having to consciously decide to do it (or you are quite a  blind and dangerous driver). 

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

BobboEvans #19 Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 39415 battles
It’s very easy to get focused on your battle and lose track of the war. There’s nothing worse than being in a heated fight that gets sooo hot you wonder why the rest of the team isn’t helping... just to realize they’re all dead and you are getting overrun by 6-7.

It’s easy to say ‘check mini’... blah blah blah. While it is good advice (or the RIGHT advice), it’s not easy to do. I lean toward minitel ‘s up front advice. Before battle, look at lineups, knowing metas and team make-up guess where red is likely to go, watch your team out of spawn, know how long it will take your slower tanks to get into a fight you expect to get into, etc. Then, when things aren’t what you expected, quickly reassess the mini for where everyone is early in battle. After that, it becomes situational.

One big key to situational awareness is to know what and where every single red triangle is on your reticle. While reloading (in cover) look at each red tank that’s showing on your reticle to decide if you should shift your target. There are times where I am right behind a red tank shooting them and they don’t even know I’m there even though my reticle triangle is HUGE and should have been their primary target (not the guy 100 yards out).

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

GableHawk #20 Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19899 battles
  • [F_S]

View Postmlacunza, on 15 May 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

I'm watching Russians superunis like bertushka (this man the other day in live Master four times in a row the t54) perfect mind, artik, ishood...

I cannot find this guy to save my life.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users