• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

RommelTanker #1 Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 1908 battles
  • [_DX2_]

The Player’s Handbook on Shell Types

Throughout time immemorial, different types of tank shells in World of Tanks has been a staple. At time, various shells can be difficult to understand for those who are new. So, I’ve created this handbook that will summarize the basics of each type of ammunition in World of Tanks Blitz. Let’s begin!

Armor Piercing (AP)

The most basic type of ammunition in WoT Blitz, this is the shell almost every gun in the game will fire. There are exceptions to this rule, which are:

• Tier VII USA Light Tanks
    • Tier IX and Tier X medium tanks (Excluding T-54, BC 25 t AP, E 50, M46 Patton WZ 120, WZ 121, and Obj. 140)
  • Certain howitzers

Armor Piercing can be identified by a red icon in the garage and in game. AP will normally have middling penetration, average damage (referred to also as “alpha” damage), and shell velocity. They also tend to be the second cheapest shells available for purchase. AP is the shell type you should load the most of into your tank, with some rare exceptions, depending on the tank.

Armor Piercing-Composite Rigid (APCR)

This is the second type of armor piercing shell in WoT Blitz. This ammunition can generally be found as premium or “gold” ammunition. It has higher penetration and velocity than AP, but costs significantly more in most cases. The tanks that fire this ammunition standard are:

• Tier VII USA Light tanks
  • Tier IX and Tier X mediums (Excluding T-54, BC 25 t AP, E 50, M46 Patton, WZ 120, WZ 121, and Obj. 140)

Armor Piercing-Composite Rigid can be identified by a black or grey icon in the garage and in game. These shells will normally be gold ammunition, but when they are normal ammunition, they are the third cheapest shells in the game. When given the option to load this ammunition standard, load a large portion of it. However, when it is gold ammunition, load a very small percentage into your tank, as it is expensive ammunition.

High Explosive (HE)

HE is a special shell in WoT Blitz. It causes huge damage when it can successfully penetrate armor, but therein lies its inherent weakness: HE has the lowest average penetration of any shell in the game. It also tends to have the lowest velocity of any shell in the game, but the highest average damage. Tanks with guns called “howitzers” fire HE as standard ammunition, except for these tanks:

• KV-2 152mm M-10 gun
  • VK 28,01 105mm KwK L/28
  • Pz. IV 105mm KwK L/28
  • Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer 105mm StuH 42 L/28
  • Alecto Q.F. 25-pr AT Gun/How. Mk. III
  • Souma SAu 40 105mm AC court mle. 1934 S

When using High Explosive ammunition, different rules apply to it. The differences are listed here:

1. High Explosive does not lose penetration over range.
  2. High Explosive is affected by “spaced armor” causing the shell to do minimal damage to this armor.
  3. High Explosive can be defeated by “soft cover” or “destructible cover”, as it causes the shell to explode prematurely instead of on armor.

HE is the cheapest shell in the game, but you shouldn’t load a large amount of it into your tank, except for the tanks listed above. HE can be identified by an orange icon in the garage and in game.

High Explosive-Squash Head (HESH)

This type of HE shell, called HESH, is just like normal HE except it is more expensive and has higher penetration. Only British tanks and the Spahpanzer Ru 251 and leKpz M41 90MM use this ammunition. HESH can be identified when British ammunition by a darker orange with a red striped icon in the garage and in game.

High Explosive-Anti Tank (HEAT)

This ammunition is a special type of gold ammunition with much higher penetration than HE, but does less damage. HEAT is subject to the same problems of HE, and it is fired as standard ammunition by two tanks:

• T49 152mm Gun-Launcher XM81 (conventional)
  • Vindicator 150mm Demolisher Mk. IVe

HEAT can be identified by a gold icon in the garage and in game. HEAT can also be identified by a gold tracer and distinct hissing and sizzling sound when it penetrates.

Things to Note

Shells in WoT Blitz have a hidden mechanic called “normalization”. Normalization is what happens when a shell hits armor and attempts to correct the angle at which it is penetrating, to increase its chances of penetration. Only 2 shells have normalization: AP and APCR.

AP: 50 of normalization

APCR: 20 of normalization

Two other hidden mechanics are Automatic Ricochet Angle and Overmatch. These mechanics deal with how a shell can penetrate armor. Automatic ricochet (referred to as auto ricochet) is an angle of attack that causes shells to ricochet off of armor, regardless of the shell’s normalization. The best average angle of auto ricochet is 200, where the angle of fire is 200 away from your armor, with your armor being a flat surface marking 00 and 1800.

Overmatch deals with over-penetrating armor. The rule is as follows:

If Shell Caliber in MM is triple the armor thickness of the target plus 1mm, then shell will do damage regardless of thickness. Auto ricochet and overmatch do not go hand in hand. If a target is subject to overmatch, auto ricochet will not be applied. Shells that are not affected by these rules:

• HE
  • HESH
  • HEAT

Thank you for reading, and I hope this helped all you newer players!

Edited by RommelTanker, 01 June 2018 - 06:43 PM.

I sense heresy.

I've quit Blitz.

BorisBaddenov #2 Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:59 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 22296 battles
  • [NOGUD]
I didnt read this yet -- but there better not be any math involved .. lol

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

NoobieDude #3 Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3014 battles
  • [CYRUS]

+1 Rommel :medal:

although i knew how to use shell load out and what each shell does.

i didn't have the types of tanks and there gun info, to use the proper load out for.

Thanx again for this dude!

RommelTanker #4 Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 1908 battles
  • [_DX2_]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 01 June 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

I didnt read this yet -- but there better not be any math involved .. lol

No math in this one- just the long accumulated knowledge of various shell after clocking in nearly 21k battles combined.

I sense heresy.

I've quit Blitz.

Cooper_Ludo #5 Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8096 battles
  • [MF-22]

Hey, thanks for the info.

Is there any thread/YouTube guides on how and when to  use HE?  Only times I seem to find them useful are 1)to reset cap; 2) when a foe is really low on damage and you need to take him out; 3) when in a KV2. 

Still there seems to be more to explosive shells than this...  

Dan_Deerso #6 Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:28 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 21219 battles
  • [MOMS]

Your overmatch mechanics in this are all wrong. 

Triple overmatch literally just makes the shell ignore ricochet. A 31mm shell will not ricochet a 10mm armor plate regardless of angle, but if it only has 9mm of pen it won't magically pen.

Double overmatch is the important one. It increases normalization by a base of 40% then by the ratio of shell caliber to thickness. So, if you have a 122mm AP shell trying to pen 60mm of armor, you'll have 7o  of normalization as opposed to 5o. If the same shell hits a 30mm plate of armor, it will have a whopping 28o of normalization instead.

RommelTanker #7 Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:57 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 1908 battles
  • [_DX2_]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 01 June 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

Your overmatch mechanics in this are all wrong. 

Triple overmatch literally just makes the shell ignore ricochet. A 31mm shell will not ricochet a 10mm armor plate regardless of angle, but if it only has 9mm of pen it won't magically pen.

Double overmatch is the important one. It increases normalization by a base of 40% then by the ratio of shell caliber to thickness. So, if you have a 122mm AP shell trying to pen 60mm of armor, you'll have 7o  of normalization as opposed to 5o. If the same shell hits a 30mm plate of armor, it will have a whopping 28o of normalization instead.

So basically bigger the shell versus thinner armor = higher increases in normalization compared to base? Interesting

Edited by RommelTanker, 02 June 2018 - 01:08 AM.

I sense heresy.

I've quit Blitz.

Dan_Deerso #8 Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:42 AM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 21219 battles
  • [MOMS]

View PostRommelTanker, on 01 June 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

So basically bigger the shell versus thinner armor = higher increases in normalization compared to base? Interesting

Only if the caliber = 2x the nominal armor thickness. The additional armor equipment doesn't affect it.

caradam666 #9 Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:41 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7403 battles
  • [AWING]

Just so you know all this information can be found in a YT vid put out by WG. Just in case this didn’t make any sense it’s a wee bit better explaned (especially around the normalisation and all that angling stuff) (and spaced armour!!) I’ll leave the link here if anyone is interested https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UFktFSJZPsQ

#1 Player in NA for... well... nothing really...... Idk I guess I'm just kinda bored so im writing this weird little signature, well... when you think about it, it's not actually a signature is it?   I DIGRESSSS! - Bushka 

MEMBER OF THE TRAINING ROOM POLICE DEPARTMENT (TRPD)

(Jeez that took a long time to do. Sorry I'm a computer newb, I had it all perfect and then I turned at all red!)

NoobieDude #10 Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3014 battles
  • [CYRUS]

View Postcaradam666, on 01 June 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

Just so you know all this information can be found in a YT vid put out by WG. Just in case this didn’t make any sense it’s a wee bit better explaned (especially around the normalisation and all that angling stuff) (and spaced armour!!) I’ll leave the link here if anyone is interested https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UFktFSJZPsQ

Dude!!!!!!! nice, thanks for this info link Caradam666. +1

BorisBaddenov #11 Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:22 AM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 22296 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View PostRommelTanker, on 01 June 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

No math in this one- just the long accumulated knowledge of various shell after clocking in nearly 21k battles combined.

Liar.

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

Destroy0 #12 Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

Currently Unavailable

• Players
  • 18724 battles
  • [FRS17]
Don't the German tier 8 lights have HEP instead of HESH? Or are they the same thing just renamed?

Dan_Deerso #13 Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 21219 battles
  • [MOMS]

View PostDestroy0, on 04 June 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

Don't the German tier 8 lights have HEP instead of HESH? Or are they the same thing just renamed?

One's the American term and the other's the British term for the same ammo. If you ever hear of "cheap HESH" when talking about Brits, it's the exact same as HEP. Just higher pen HE.

HEP: High Explosive (Plastic)

HESH: High Explosive Squash Head

RommelTanker #14 Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:56 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 1908 battles
  • [_DX2_]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 04 June 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

One's the American term and the other's the British term for the same ammo. If you ever hear of "cheap HESH" when talking about Brits, it's the exact same as HEP. Just higher pen HE.

HEP: High Explosive (Plastic)

HESH: High Explosive Squash Head

Bingo.

HEP is just American rebranded HESH. Actually what's ironic is the German tanks that fire "HEP" got their stash from America, and Murica got their stash from Great Britain. What's more ironic is the fact that HESH is designed to be fired out of rifle gun barrels. Actually it's a requirement that it's fired from rifle gun barrels, which is why the British L11A1 120mm gun (Conqueror and FV215b gun) makes no sense. It's a smooth bore cannon, but fires full caliber HESH, even though HESH needs to be fired from a rifled gun. Weird, I know, but this is WG and who cares about historical accuracy right?

I sense heresy.

I've quit Blitz.

Also tagged with TPH, Guide

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users