A Thought to Revive Rating Battles

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Bronyman50 #1 Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:16 AM

Offical Horse Guy (Platinum Legacy Forum Title Holder)

• Players
  • 25306 battles
  • [CRUEL]

Currently, a small percentage of the playerbase even plays rating battles, and of that small group even less play regularly. I have an idea to possibly revive it.

STEP 1: REMOVING THE LIMITS

currently, ranking battles are limited to tier 7-10. While this is not a bad thing, this is bad for the playerbase since you are locking a large number of players out of the loop. Removing the limits on the tiers and instead make it similar to standard MM queues

STEP 2: HEAVILY INCENTIVIZE THE PLAYERS 

As of now, there are very little reasons to even play ranking battles over random battles, you might get rewards at the end of the season or get to play with similarly matches teams, but this doesn’t hold the player in. While there are many ways to incentivize players, my recommended way is by increasing the EXP earned in ranked, nothing major like 2x or 3x but instead a 1.5x just like in premium time, except premium time would add-on top of this coefficient.

STEP 3: DO NOT RESET RANKS EVERY SEASON

Alot of players including me, will usually play to get a rank and then just stop. This is because your rank will often just be reset by the end of the month or season, instead of measuring who is the highest ranked players in a game, instead measure who has gained the most, in a season. This will keep pulling players back in to the queue to possibly get an end of season bonus

"The Mountain Goat Strikes Again" -Anonymous (Ingame)

I Swear It's Like A Potato Farm With The Current Playerbase

Bronyman50 A.K.A TheOriginalHorseGuy

WipWapJaws #2 Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:19 AM

Clanless Scrub

• Players
  • 37114 battles
  • [WKD]

1)  Yea never under stood why they locked out mid/low tiers.

2)  An excellent idea, atm the return for sitting in a long que is just not worth it but if it meant you could get extra spare parts, grind free xp fast im all in

3)  may be do both have your over all rank and your current season rank.  

theFANTASTICfox #3 Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:26 AM

DRINK!

• Players
  • 20057 battles
  • [DD-R]
4) Do not force recalibration 

#4 in the LeKpz 41 (with TwisterCup camo), #6 in the M41 Walker-Bulldog, and #8 in the T37

This is what BlitzStars is reporting, so I might be reading something incorrectly...

Certified Anti-FV215b 183 Extremist

tanker070 #4 Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:51 AM

The Nitwit

• Players
  • 44815 battles
  • [SRT_]
i like the most gained better.  

when you start everyone from 1 base...and set no limits by saying.."who gained the most"  

competitive players breeds competitive along ... so reward them and have em stay around for betterment of the community (at least in ratings)

ahredstealth, on 11 April 2018 - 07:21 PM, said: "while money can't buy happiness, it can rent it."

BluesAllDay #5 Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:54 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7950 battles
  • [SRV]

There is no incentive. No shiny object.

When it comes to incentives, with just about everything this game offers, it’s all backwards.

Why does every new player rush up the line?  All the incentives point in that direction. New players know nothing. Where is the incentive for being better? The only incentive I see is to be in a clan that requires better players. For some that is incentive enough, for others it’s probably just more fun doing whatever it they are doing. What they are doing is pressing the battle button in tanks the game incentivized them to play. Recently my career wr changed color, big deal, it’s still me playing a tank game, do I get anything? Why did I even try? Oh...now get to 50%...why, does something happen when you reach 50?

I see a lot of people chasing after statistics as an objective. There is nothing wrong with that at all. It’s an objective. Some people are better than others at everything a person could do in life. That’s where the statistics come in. I am (was) a good electrician. Statistically 82 / 100 some better many worse. Should I have spent countless hours every year to maybe be 90 / 100? There’s no bonus, no extra money, no nothing. I’m a good cook. I’ve never been to culinary school but I like good food so I learned to cook good food. If I graded myself on a scale of 1-10 I would humbly take a 6-7. Do I need to be an 8? I can draw anything I see, I can sculpt, carve wood, carve stone. I’m quite good at all of it. Above average. How much effort should I put into a game? How good do I have to be? My entire life I decided how good I needed to be. Most of those decisions were based on some sort of satisfaction as to where the cut off point should be for improvement.

Where is the satisfaction in world of tanks blitz? How much effort does one put in and what does one get in return for the effort? I don’t remember the name but someone recently posted of a player with 77,000 battles at 45%. That’s a lot of battles, this person had some fun. He had fun in a lot of tanks. No stress, wouldn’t want to read his mail, satisfaction. Could he be better? Sure, everyone can be better. How much better is determined by the amount of satisfaction. 

Ratings battles have no incentive so limited satisfaction. Spending 5 times longer to only earn twice as much isn’t much of an incentive.

Edited by BluesAllDay, 08 June 2018 - 03:11 AM.

_34 #6 Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:09 AM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

• Players
  • 21845 battles
  • [SRT]

#1 I 100% disagree.

Ranked is meant to be competitive.  Limiting it to high tiers makes it competitive. 

Making ranked identical to random would just turn ranked into a brand new version of it.  One with no statistical consequences of being bad at the game, and better rewards.  Why would anyone queue up in random?

Having low tiers in ranked is just means for heavy padding.  Low tier players can win with ease.  Lowering the rank boost for lower tiers won't help - again, this mode should be competitive.

Furthermore, it doesn't actually solve anything.  It wouldn't affect our current wait times for high tiers.  It would in fact make them worse, since players determined to play ranked would now have the easy option of going low.

Plus that would ruin record statistics, People could make their way to tier X without a single statistic to show for it. 

No thanks.

#2 is a good idea, but it's already in place to a lesser degree. There are already XP (and spare parts?) boosts, but those are marginal. More reward = more attraction.  There are also end of season rewards in the form of crates and whatnot (last season had a unique camo).

Some greater rewards would definitely bring more players to ranked.

#3 I see no reason for.  I think resets are good because they encourage a person to get back up again after they reached their goal.  Otherwise, a player could grind to the #1 spot and sit.  Measuring by growth isn't really a solution to this. 

First of all, what's the point of measuring by growth? If you measure the difference between at the start of the season and at the end, what's the difference if everyone started out reset at the same level?  Kinda hard to say what I'm thinking, so example:

NA server's best player _34 made his way to 4200 ranking.  Next season, he made it to 6900, so he's +2700 from the season. Some player Bronyman went from 2000 to 5000, or +3000.

Same scenario, but current system.  At the end of season 1, MLG _34 ends at 4200.  Then it resets for second season - he starts at ~3000, earns +2700 and makes to 5700.  Bronyman reaches 2000 at the end of 1, resets to 3000, then goes +3000 up to 6000.

In both scenarios, _34 did better in season 1 and worse in season 2.  What's the difference between having them stay at their current rank or resetting them?

Another problem is that as a player gets higher and higher, gains are less and less.  So, once you're pretty high up, it's pretty much impossible to keep climbing enough to have the best gains.  My example wouldn't even work.  In scenario 1 Brony would have had a better chance to improve than _34.  Not fair to the good players.

TL;DR

#1 would break ranked.

#2 is in effect, but I agree it could be improved.

#3 has no reason to be implemented.

CrazyHunter13 #7 Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6783 battles
  • [BRONY]

View PostBronyman50, on 07 June 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

Currently, a small percentage of the playerbase even plays rating battles, and of that small group even less play regularly. I have an idea to possibly revive it.

STEP 1: REMOVING THE LIMITS

currently, ranking battles are limited to tier 7-10 (need to own at least one t9 tank before you can play rating battles). While this is not a bad thing, this is bad for the playerbase since you are locking a large number of players out of the loop. Removing the limits on the tiers and instead make it similar to standard MM queues

STEP 2: HEAVILY INCENTIVIZE THE PLAYERS 

As of now, there are very little reasons to even play ranking battles over random battles, you might get rewards at the end of the season or get to play with similarly matches teams, but this doesn’t hold the player in. While there are many ways to incentivize players, my recommended way is by increasing the EXP earned in ranked, nothing major like 2x or 3x but instead a 1.5x just like in premium time, except premium time would add-on top of this coefficient.

STEP 3: DO NOT RESET RANKS EVERY SEASON

Alot of players including me, will usually play to get a rank and then just stop. This is because your rank will often just be reset by the end of the month or season, instead of measuring who is the highest ranked players in a game, instead measure who has gained the most, in a season. This will keep pulling players back in to the queue to possibly get an end of season bonus

Fixed it for you. I tried to get into rating battles; I own a t7 and t8 tank, but I was still barred from playing rating battles because I dont have a t9 in my garage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users