KV1S to IS to IS3 advice

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

anonym_U7SLgsVd49lS #1 Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

Hi all!  I'm here for some advice because I want to be able to contribute more to my teams, regardless of the makeup.

Currently, I'm having trouble with the tier 7 Russian heavy the IS.  I'm also having trouble searching for it because anything with "is" gets tagged too, so if there is a good discussion point me there.

My long term goal is the IS3, but am not in a big hurry.

I have played pretty well and enjoy the peek a boom derpy fun of the KV1S... But what changes so much moving to the IS that my success rate drops?  What should I do different?

Check my stats and see what I can do to help... I know spending time in lower tiers is always a benefit, and try doing lower tiers before moving up too often.  But it's hard to pick which flank of a scattered team to support, and going in hard the armor just doesn't perform well.

Thanks all!

Subtlepro #2 Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 46588 battles
  • [GRMPS]

Play the D10T gun...rof of fire will help save you when your whole team dies.  Armor about like the kvis at tier 7, so don't push your luck with it.  It's slower than the kvis, so if you push to far...you can' retreat as well.  Don't over extend, but still play the heavy line if MM looks good. As usual use cover, angle, peekaboom, go hull down, snipe when you can, get to strong points fast, front armor allways front.

Go hill no town, only run 100% fully equipped.  When down a tier play support heavy.  Have 5 HE shells on hand.  and if you like the other gun better cool...when it works it' a big boom. Good luck!

Bronyman50 #3 Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

Offical Horse Guy (Platinum Legacy Forum Title Holder)

• Players
  • 26589 battles
  • [PURPL]

View PostSubtlepro, on 10 June 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

Play the D10T gun...rof of fire will help save you when your whole team dies.  Armor about like the kvis at tier 7, so don't push your luck with it.  It's slower than the kvis, so if you push to far...you can' retreat as well.  Don't over extend, but still play the heavy line if MM looks good. As usual use cover, angle, peekaboom, go hull down, snipe when you can, get to strong points fast, front armor allways front.

Go hill no town, only run 100% fully equipped.  When down a tier play support heavy.  Have 5 HE shells on hand.  and if you like the other gun better cool...when it works it' a big boom. Good luck!

if you want an accurate gun with good handling go play the T29, the whole point of the Russian line is the alpha 

"The Mountain Goat Strikes Again" -Anonymous (Ingame)

I Swear It's Like A Potato Farm With The Current Playerbase

Bronyman50 A.K.A TheOriginalHorseGuy

anonym_U7SLgsVd49lS #4 Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSubtlepro, on 10 June 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

Hey, thank you for the quick reply!

I have tried the D10T gun... the handling doesn't seem quite better than the 122.  Is the ROF enough of a better trade off?  I'll have to play it some more and see how it goes; I tried a few games and wasn't impressed.  I have read that playing with the 122 will better prepare for the IS3... would running the D10T affect my preparation that much?  I like the 400+ wallop it delivers, considering limiting your exposure.  

I did notice it is not as good as changing course, despite decent mobility.  If I pick the wrong flank, support the wrong player, I am screwed.  I've gone to help someone in an otherwise strong tank, to see them pull out broadside, and then not even shoot remotely at the tanks they are "trying" to engage.  ::sigh::  At that point, picking the wrong area to support is now impossible to reverse.  This tank has 100% crew, and 6/9 equipment unlocked.  With the changes coming in equipment, I'm done chasing spare parts and am going to wait to buy them with silver credits.

I usually carry 4 HE with the 122, and when I have been able to it's nice to see the 500 HP shot they can make against soft targets.

Honestly, I think I'll stick with the 122 and try and improve tactics, though I WILL give the D10T another few tries.

anonym_U7SLgsVd49lS #5 Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostBronyman50, on 10 June 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

if you want an accurate gun with good handling go play the T29, the whole point of the Russian line is the alpha 

I agree... The other side of the Russian line I like is the mediums, particularly the T-34-85 and the T-43... and am slowly learning the T-44 - but that is all a separate conversation.   :teethhappy:

I tried the T29 pre-buff, and it was painfully slow.  Did the increase in traverse numbers help it any?  I did like the few moments I was able to lock it hull down and hear the repeated bounces :)  But overall, I prefer the Russian heavy style versus other heavies, at least for now.

Bronyman50 #6 Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:56 PM

Offical Horse Guy (Platinum Legacy Forum Title Holder)

• Players
  • 26589 battles
  • [PURPL]

View Postgas3987, on 10 June 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

I agree... The other side of the Russian line I like is the mediums, particularly the T-34-85 and the T-43... and am slowly learning the T-44 - but that is all a separate conversation.   :teethhappy:

I tried the T29 pre-buff, and it was painfully slow.  Did the increase in traverse numbers help it any?  I did like the few moments I was able to lock it hull down and hear the repeated bounces :)  But overall, I prefer the Russian heavy style versus other heavies, at least for now.

Still turns like a truck but it’s better then it was before 

"The Mountain Goat Strikes Again" -Anonymous (Ingame)

I Swear It's Like A Potato Farm With The Current Playerbase

Bronyman50 A.K.A TheOriginalHorseGuy

anonym_U7SLgsVd49lS #7 Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostBronyman50, on 10 June 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

Still turns like a truck but it’s better then it was before 

I may pass for now, as I'm definitely not skilled enough to cope with that.  Tanks like that almost make me feel claustrophobic, and I don't have the patience.  Though the KV1 is pretty slow in turns but somehow I make that work, but it's a different animal all together.

7_3_PowerStroke #8 Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7605 battles
  • [MAHOU]
IS is a peek-a-boom tank. T29 is a hull-down beast. Different playstyles.

Stats

I write fanfiction and watch anime. Deal with it.

formerly _Maho_Nishizumi_212

Jonny_applesauce #9 Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10925 battles

I love the IS, the key to making the armor work is MOVEMENT. It has horrific weakspots that are easy to hit if you stay still, but if you wiggle and turn you will often cause the enemy to hit the hugely angled places on the front hull, and you will slow their dpm down since they spend so much time aiming.

Gun choice is playstyle oriented, but moving that armor profile around is the key to success. Sidescraping works if the situation is right as well.

WoT blitz is better than WoT PC imho because no arty and +/- 1 mm.

Jonny Applesauce

SullBhit #10 Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:28 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30508 battles
  • [CLEAR]

I found the KV-1S and IS to be very similar.  I don’t agree with the comment on RoF.  I don’t know the gun designations, but I think the big gun is the only way to go.  It provides stopping power that the smaller RoF gun does not.  If you need the DPM, you played it wrong.  You’re a support tank.  You are not in the fight for your armor because it doesn’t exist on the KV-1S or IS.  You have to play from hard cover.

I’m about half way through the IS-3 grind.  The armor is much better than the KV-1S and IS but still shouldn’t be relied upon.  If you get caught in the open, don’t angle the IS-3.  Point it right at the threat and wiggle your kiester off.  The front facets ar easily penned at an angle.  Try to hull down.  The turret does have a weak spot but if you’re constantly shimmying it’s hard to hit.

Bmj246 #11 Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7746 battles
  • [KAPUT]

View PostBronyman50, on 10 June 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

yes the t29 is a blast and turret is indestructible and the damage is decent but the hull is paper. Unfortunately the KV-1S has the same hull armor. I only have the kv 1s so i cant advise much

Tanks in my garage: t110e5, t28 prototype,PZ V/IV, t34-85 Rudy, Su 122 44, y5 t-34, y5 firefly, its not as sad!

anonym_U7SLgsVd49lS #12 Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:55 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

I played a few games today; the wiggling helped but just postponed my destruction.  I'm averaging about 1200 dmg so it's not great but at least I'm contributing. 

I think I just keep getting less than great teams which are harder to cope with. If I'm in a medium, at least I can zip around and try to find a new position.  Each try in the IS today yielded greens that literally danced around each other in spawn and when they did finally move, had NO idea what they were doing... Pulling out broadside is one of the biggest violations.  At that point I just tried my best to farm some damage.  :confused:

Edited by gas3987, 12 June 2018 - 03:15 AM.

__ShootTheOtherGuy__ #13 Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:41 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 37152 battles
  • [OXIDE]

View PostBronyman50, on 10 June 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

if you want an accurate gun with good handling go play the T29, the whole point of the Russian line is the alpha 

I wouldn't say the 105mm T5E1 of the T29 is accurate. I would say it's sub-par or mediocre from my own experience. It does have good aiming time, but it's not the best.

anonym_U7SLgsVd49lS #14 Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
So I got the IS-3, and had enough free XP to unlock everything.  It's a beast for sure - but I still am learning the ropes at tier 8.  It's a new animal, with all the purchased premiums with drivers who haven't necessarily worked their way up.  If the team remotely engages together, I can make the IS-3 work better than the original IS.  Even though it still gets penned, it's nothing as bad as the IS was and sure takes a beating before going down.  The top gun is a must - the few games with the IS's top gun were rough, though I made it work.  The BL-9 is just fun short-medium range!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users