Tier IV Convenantor Engine Fire

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

SanguinaryDan #1 Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17142 battles
  • [III-P]

I dedcided I was going to take my Covenanter out for a spin so I took a look at the stats. God alone knows how I missed this before, but...the damned thing has a 40% chance of the engine catching fire!  Forty-freakin-percent! :ohmy:

That’s unreal. I can’t think of any tank higher than 20%. What is it about this tank that they went with 40%?  Is there historical precedent or just some bizarre sort of game balance?  And yet, I don’t remember it catching fire any more often than other tanks. Either while driving it or shooting at it. Could it just be an error?

The point of the game is to win.  The purpose of the game is to have fun.  They are not mutually exclusive.

bg2b #2 Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:38 PM

M4 Lifestyle

• Players
  • 21070 battles
  • [SPUD]
The engine is basically a tiny wind-up spring that no one can ever hit anyway.

RommelTanker #3 Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4656 battles
  • [_DX2_]

The A13 Mk. III Covenanter was a cruiser tank designed to succeed its former, the Cruiser Mk. IV.

Historically it was equipped with a Henry Meadows DAV flat-12 340hp gasoline engine with christie suspension and a gear box and transmission made by Henry Meadows.

The basic translation of this is that the Covenanter is essentially a fire waiting to happen in the rear of the tank; there was no automatic fuel tank sealing system like on aircraft designed around the same time, and the fuel system itself likely rivaled that of the Pz.Kpfw. VI Tiger H1's in terms of how badly it leaked. And yes, the flat-12 was basically a car engine stuck inside a 20~ ton tank. This means it was overworked, which meant it was likely prone to overheating constantly, another factor that contributes to engine fires.

Historically, the PzKpf VI Tiger, Tiger (Porsche) and Ferdinand are supposed to be match boxes as well. The Porsche Tiger utilized a unique system that was actually two engines that were highly overworked. Each engine was a 10 cylinder 306hp made by Porsche himself; the Tiger P weighed 60 tons, making the power-to-weight barely above 10hp/t. This means the Tiger P liked to break down and catch fire, a lot. In fact, throughout the service time of the Ferdinand and Elefant tank destroyers, more were knocked out by transmission/engine failure and fires than actual combat.

The Tiger 1 suffered from a similar issue, although the engine was much better. This issue arose from a poorly designed transmission that couldn't handle the vehicle's weight; the fuel system also liked to leak like a sieve, which meant the already hot engine was coated in gasoline. Not exactly ideal when going uphill, which strained the engine because of the poor transmission straining the engine. This is why a lot of Tigers could be knocked out by simply shooting the rear; the engine compartment would burst into flames and the Germans were helpless to put them out. 

Long story short, the Covenanter isn't technically a tank, it's an 18 ton armored car run by a car engine, and other tanks in the game have far less historical fire percentages than they should.

Something something insert joke here

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users