How to get good

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Yuno_Gasai__ #1 Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5778 battles
  • [MAHOU]

Konnichiwa, Hajimemashite, KunieOG-desu!

And this will be my first fully typed guide for Blitz. Being that I've been playing Tanks since 2010, I've gone through the stages of being an idiot to becoming a competitive player and honestly I may opt to share this experiences and make a guide. Even though there are already many guides out there, I felt like giving out some tip that have helped me to become good and being a more competitive player today. This guide was originally going to be a recording of mine but I ought to make it typed since I mostly prefer guides to be read than heard. Starting off, I will be making a 4 part guide; And this part will cover the basics. The next three parts will discuss the following in order:

- Basic Strats and Theories: What to do before and during a battle?
- Tank Roles: Which Tanks are right for you?
- Spotting and Awareness: How to be more alert?
- Efficiency: How to do more contribution to the outcome of the battle?

So first off will be Basic stuff...

​-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article 1: Basic Strats and Theories

So first off, we will tackle some basic theories of WoTBlitz. Now this part will discuss quite the basic things. Before that, I'll just agree on this statement that WoTBlitz should not be treated as a tank simulator as it is more of an arcade game. You cannot expect to one-shot your enemies like how you do in WT (if you play that game). This game (like most games of the similar style) is based on RNG so you can't really guess if your next shot will high or low roll, or even pen or not. 

Anyway, here are the following basic things to know when playing Blitz:

* Know Your Tank.

- The old saying as it goes that if you know a particular thing and take care of it, that thing will take care of you. In WoTBlitz, you have to know your tank. What are its strengths and weaknesses? What are the weaknesses that you can see that can somehow make you use it to your advantage? What does the tank do that the other tanks can't? and so on. You have to know what your tank is. You shouldn't just choose a tank and play it blind in a way that you don't know what would drag it down in a battle situation or risk of having crappy stats or even worse, doing bad on that tank. Take a scenario for example: There are two players; one who reads his tank and the one that doesn't.

The one who reads his tank knows that he has solid alpha but crappy gun depression so he can't really get on to ridges that much but he can deal it off on flat ground and brawl from there. He knows that his armor can eat shots for breakfast and can have a carry potential. In a simple way, he is a smart player.

On the other hand, the one who doesn't read his tank just presses battle, shoots, and just plays for fun (which basically is the reason why we play this game). But the outcome may either be disastrous or not. Disastrous in a way that he brags in-game or in the forums about how bad the tank is. The fact remains that the likelihood of him getting bad stats is at an all time high unless he opts to change his style. There was one occasion where I've seen seen someone in the forums brag about how the IS-4 is bad and just opts to just snipe and sit in the back. It's rather obvious that he doesn't understand how he plays his tank well and opts for a more "traditional" playstyle on a tank that can actually take hits and brawl.

* Be critical in situations that may have an outcome on the game.

- It is the most simple way of assessing battlefield situation then making a decision fast before everything falls down. Having a good instinct can be a very good quality of a player, especially if he reads the situation around him/her. Take a decent player for example. He sees his team engaging the opposing team on one flank but notices that there is a flanking maneuver attempt by the enemy team on another flank. In my perspective, a way to beat a flanking maneuver is to push forward, destroy the enemy, and turn around to meet the flanking force. So the decent player would call to push then turn around to meet the flanking force. 

The decent player became critical of the situation in a way that he can see that if the team on his flank can push and destroy the opposing enemy team on his flank, then they can turn around in time just to meet the flanking force and win. So if you know if yourself that a strategy like this can have a massive outcome on the battle, don't think twice. Just do it. 

* Avoid trading face-to-face more often.

- Sometimes trading face-to-face may get you to win often. It's not a rare sight in most battles taking place on a single flank. But sometimes, this takes long and sometimes it can either have a 50/50 chance of your team winning so you need to really trade really well against the enemy. This is just one tactic that I don't really like to do. Let's bring the first two theories into contact and make a situation. 

Take a heavy with decent mobility for example like a French heavy. You know in yourself that you can't trade as you have poor armor and rather a meh gun depression. You really can't afford to get hit. Although, what you can do is to act like a flanking medium and engage the enemy from another flank where you can put shots on the enemy trading frontally with your heavily armored allies. This not only relieves pressure on your team but also places an opportunity for your team to push and win. Now you have applied the first three theories, first is that you know that your french heavy has no armor, no depression, but has the mobility enough to get some flanking shots; You were quick to analyze and be critical to be able to do flanking maneuvers; And you avoided trading face-to-face. 

* Read the enemy.

- Having a sense of reading enemy actions can help you expect what may their next move be. Learn to read their actions and how these actions could have an effect on you. But at the same time, know that your enemy's actions can be your advantage at the same time. Place yourself in this situation. Get in the map, Mines. Go to the slope of the hill near the rock and Imagine an enemy heavy with no gun depression. He attempts to push over the ridge on the side of the rock so he can put a shot on to you. Know this, you're gonna have to do something to avoid him from giving you a painful shot. Putting the second theory into action, you notice that there is no one watching his rear, and that he is alone there. Knowing this, you can go over to the other side of the slope and hit his weak sides. So what you do is that you push over there, put some nasty side shots onto him and wreak havoc on him before he can even put a shot onto you. 

Reading an enemy can also be utilized on reading the enemy team's composition. If you know that you are the only medium tank on one flank while the enemy has more, you can't have second thoughts. You go with the heavies and support them by flanking the enemy and relieve the pressure. Sometimes reading the enemy's actions and what their composition is can get yourself into analyzing their strengths and weaknesses and what you can do to get them out of the battle and secure a victory.

* Depend more on yourself. Don't depend on the team too much.

- As Blitz is a team-oriented game, it would go that you have to depend on the team and do teamwork. The problem with this is that you don't know which player plays decently and who doesn't. Depending on the team too much may either give you problems or even the whole team. If you depend on a bad player's calls, you and the whole team may suffer unless you act on your own accord. Know in yourself that you can't depend on the team a lot. You're gonna have to carry your own weight, or even do some team-carrying for the sake of getting a win. 

Don't rely on the praise system like how a 40% has 5 stars with an impeccable rating. If you know in yourself that you can do better, then do it. But don't do it too much or risk of getting yourself in a sticky wicket. 

* Know when to go in and rush, but don't rush a lot.

- The most simple thing you can do in the game is not to get killed, especially if you're on a tank that can have an effect on the outcome of the game, or if you know how to play the battle out. Rushing is one of the simple strategies in the game but not all the time you should do it, unless you want to ditch on a very very bad team and don't want to help out. Rushing is a common problem in most bad players as they don't have the idea of what to do in a battle and just rush for the sake of putting in shots then getting destroyed.

IMO, when you have to do a rush, you have to know when you need to do it. Time your actions and tactics right. You need to be aware of the consequences of rushing. Let's make a scenario. You are with a platoon mate in two mediums. You spot a heavy tank but there are two other TDs with a solid alpha in a bush from a distance that is giving him support. Knowing that if you rush, it may get you two destroyed since the heavy tank is acting as a bait so that the enemy TDs can destroy you and your platoon mate. The best thing to do is if you have an allied heavy to attract the attention of the enemy heavy, you can sneak around and dismantle the TDs before you and your platoon mate finish the job.
However, if it's only the two of you, you have to pick another avenue of advance so you can rush and flank the TDs first before finishing the job. What you just did is just a simple tactic but using smarts into play in a way that you prevented you and your platoon mate from being TD food.

* Do more damage; Set a baseline.
- Doing more damage in the game is one of the simplest ways of getting yourself to become better at the game in a way that your are giving a big contribution to your team by eating most of the enemy's hit points. At the same time, doing a lot of damage can give your team victory in a way that you are putting effort into your team's victory. 

Since this is a very simple tactic, I won't go too much on this but I will leave a tip. If you want to deal more damage, know your enemy tank's weakspots, know where to engage them at, know the caliber of your gun and reload time, and in every chance you get, make it count. Don't waste your ammunition for nothing. And the last tip is that you have to set an objective where in every battle, you have to do a particular amount of damage. Setting a baseline or quota for damage dealt per game is a good idea as well in a way that you are doing yourself a favour to get good. For example is setting 2k damage per game as an objective.

* And lastly, Don't try to do a lot of carrying or even so, be a martyr. 

- Sometimes, Carrying is considered to be the last thing in mind when you get into a situation where you are the only one left against two or more enemy players. It may or may not work in some situations as it requires luck. You really can't dictate the pace of the battle such that you're trying to put out more damage and killing everyone in the enemy team. When you know that carrying isn't an option anymore, just let it go. I've experienced this a lot, even back when I was playing in WoTPC. I'm telling you this guys to not attempt to carry too much, unless you know what to do.

Instead, do an objective of trying to contribute to the outcome of the battle in a way that you are helping the team by putting out shots and damage as much as possible so as to relieve the pressure by the enemy. You're not going in every battle to carry. You are there to play, have fun, enjoy, and help out. Every battle is not your own. It's your team's battle. And sometimes, you end up carrying without even noticing it because you have an eagerness to want to win or picking a win for the team.

And don't be a martyr for pete's sake. Unless you're a bad player on a light tank, rushing towards the enemy to spot and get killed. You spotted the whole enemy team alright but that's all. You're a martyr, but you only spotted and did 0 damage. That's about something that disgusts me in bad players playing light tanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all for the basic strats and theories. These are just based on my experience for the past 8 years of playing World of Tanks. It may be more around revolving around theories and what not but I considered these to be quite a basic thing to do. I hope you guys manage to pick up some information and I hope the guide was fruitful enough. The next guide will focus on tank roles and what to know more about them in-depth. That's all for today. 

I will see all of you in the battlefield. 

Edited by Yuno_Gasai__, 22 June 2018 - 03:34 PM.

My Youtube Channel: KunieOG 
"YUNO 3:16 SAYS I JUST TORE YOUR LIMBS"
Discord Server: https://discord.gg/ZzQthRQ

outersketcher #2 Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12207 battles
  • [COD-R]

This is what the forum needs. Useful content that will help the playerbase improve. 

The "Know your tank" part really hit home for me.

"* Do more damage; Set a baseline.
- Doing more damage in the game is one of the simplest ways of getting yourself to become better at the game in a way that your are giving a big contribution to your team by eating most of the enemy's hit points. At the same time, doing a lot of damage can give your team victory in a way that you are putting effort into your team's victory. 

Since this is a very simple tactic, I won't go too much on this but I will leave a tip. If you want to deal more damage, know your enemy tank's weakspots, know where to engage them at, know the caliber of your gun and reload time, and in every chance you get, make it count. Don't waste your ammunition for nothing. And the last tip is that you have to set an objective where in every battle, you have to do a particular amount of damage. Setting a baseline or quota for damage dealt per game is a good idea as well in a way that you are doing yourself a favour to get good. For example is setting 2k damage per game as an objective."

As much as I'd LOVE to just be able to set an arbitrary high number quota.. reality is that I've been struggling to get better damage for months. 2k damage is a laughably impossible number for a guy who is THRILLED when he gets 800 dmg in a battle. 

Yes, I'd LOVE to get more damage. Yes I've been watching youtube vids.. have created posts asking for advice specifically on getting more damage. and Yes, I am eager to try any advice anyone has to offer. 

No, I have not been successful in increasing my dps.

I suspect tho.. that someones inability to cause damage is the end result of an accumulation of several problems or bad habits. Am currently working on deconstructing myself and starting from scratch again.

EDIT:. Not complaining. Your post is fantastic! And I plan to suck every bit of knowledge I can from your content. Thank you. Keep going with these.

Edited by outersketcher, 22 June 2018 - 04:16 PM.

Looking into the eyes of an infant is like staring into the heart of a star... Pure. And blazing.

Also.. it's never a pleasant experience to bite into a SlimJim, and discover a toenail. 

huhh.. there's another one.. 

BorisBaddenov #3 Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 22252 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View Postoutersketcher, on 22 June 2018 - 07:50 AM, said:

This is what the forum needs. Useful content that will help the playerbase improve. 

Since this is a very simple tactic, I won't go too much on this but I will leave a tip. If you want to deal more damage, know your enemy tank's weakspots, know where to engage them at, know the caliber of your gun and reload time, and in every chance you get, make it count. Don't waste your ammunition for nothing. And the last tip is that you have to set an objective where in every battle, you have to do a particular amount of damage. Setting a baseline or quota for damage dealt per game is a good idea as well in a way that you are doing yourself a favour to get good. For example is setting 2k damage per game as an objective."

As much as I'd LOVE to just be able to set an arbitrary high number quota.. reality is that I've been struggling to get better damage for months. 2k damage is a laughably impossible number for a guy who is THRILLED when he gets 800 dmg in a battle. 

Yes, I'd LOVE to get more damage. Yes I've been watching youtube vids.. have created posts asking for advice specifically on getting more damage. and Yes, I am eager to try any advice anyone has to offer. 

I suspect tho.. that someones inability to cause damage is the end result of an accumulation of several problems or bad habits. Am currently working on deconstructing myself and starting from scratch again.

EDIT:. Not complaining. Your post is fantastic! And I plan to suck every bit of knowledge I can from your content. Thank you. Keep going with these.

I think your trouble with damage stems from the misunderstanding you had when you first started about Penetration vs. Alpha   :)

And now I wonder if you are just over thinking things.

Here are some things that I try and do:

Aim as well as I can at the grey bits :)

Use AP ammo if, as it is the most reliable for me.

A kill shot takes priority over a non-kill shot MOST of the time.

When Im really trying to focus on a specific tank and raise it's Damage Per Battle - I look on blitzstars for how many shots I land per battle - and then I try and get "just one more".  If I average 8 hits per game in a tank, then I count shots during the game, looking to land shot #9.  That's it - just one more shot.

Peace-

Boris

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

Strigonx #4 Posted 22 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3908 battles
  • [_STR8]

View PostYuno_Gasai__, on 22 June 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

* Depend more on yourself. Don't depend on the team too much.

- As Blitz is a team-oriented game, it would go that you have to depend on the team and do teamwork. The problem with this is that you don't know which player plays decently and who doesn't. Depending on the team too much may either give you problems or even the whole team. If you depend on a bad player's calls, you and the whole team may suffer unless you act on your own accord. Know in yourself that you can't depend on the team a lot. You're gonna have to carry your own weight, or even do some team-carrying for the sake of getting a win. 

Don't rely on the praise system like how a 40% has 5 stars with an impeccable rating. If you know in yourself that you can do better, then do it. But don't do it too much or risk of getting yourself in a sticky wicket. 

This absolutely this.

Relying on the machinations of 40% players will lead you to extensive disappointment.

https://www.blitzsta...er/com/Strigonx

"In this game you’re either a predator or you’re prey.

Prey doesn’t win at the same ratio as the predators because prey doesn’t have the same attitude. Unfortunately their are are not enough predators to keep the prey in check and  the prey is running rampant. Prey doesn’t care about WR, either directly or indirectly. Thats why they do what they want, that’s why the game has been dumbed down and  that’s why MH was brought about. Without a check it will continuously get worse until the predators are extinct" 4sfield

Kade18 #5 Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:00 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10598 battles
  • [_V_]
This is great like seriously taking the time to type all this is honestly incredible 
Kade18-Void
Like and subscribe (pls I beg)

Yuno_Gasai__ #6 Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:54 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5778 battles
  • [MAHOU]

View PostStrigonx, on 23 June 2018 - 01:05 AM, said:

This absolutely this.

Relying on the machinations of 40% players will lead you to extensive disappointment.

True... That's why in some extreme cases, I don't really listen to most calls because I know when some calls will end up failing. Better to separate and just harass the enemy from the rear.

Yuno_Gasai__ #7 Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:55 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5778 battles
  • [MAHOU]

View PostKade18, on 23 June 2018 - 02:00 AM, said:

This is great like seriously taking the time to type all this is honestly incredible 

Thank you very much... This article is just something I made off my spare time. I honestly enjoyed being able to compose it.

Yuno_Gasai__ #8 Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:59 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5778 battles
  • [MAHOU]

View Postoutersketcher, on 22 June 2018 - 11:50 PM, said:

Thank you very much. 

I'll leave you one tip as well... Don't try hard to deal your target damage in a way that you're peeking or showing up too much without noticing your environment. You'll end up getting killed faster. As much as possible, just relax a bit and let your own skill do the handy work.

raellgunawesum #9 Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10774 battles
  • [_GG_]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 22 June 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

I think your trouble with damage stems from the misunderstanding you had when you first started about Penetration vs. Alpha   :)

And now I wonder if you are just over thinking things.

Here are some things that I try and do:

Aim as well as I can at the grey bits :)

Use AP ammo if, as it is the most reliable for me.

A kill shot takes priority over a non-kill shot MOST of the time.

When Im really trying to focus on a specific tank and raise it's Damage Per Battle - I look on blitzstars for how many shots I land per battle - and then I try and get "just one more".  If I average 8 hits per game in a tank, then I count shots during the game, looking to land shot #9.  That's it - just one more shot.

Peace-

Boris

It's usually advised that you should ALWAYS go for the kill. It's one less enemy that can deal damage. I've had battles where I could've killed an enemy with 100 hp left but decided to deal more damage with my ISU by shooting a full hp enemy. We lost the battle because of that enemy I didn't kill. Don't make the same mistake I did! The only time when you shouldn't go for the kill is when either:

1) You are sure that one of your teammates get the kill

2) You must be 100% SURE that that enemy does not pose a threat at all. EX. a tier 8 tank in a tier 10 match

3) You want to get killed and lose. (I'm pretty sure you don't want that though)

AND NICE ARTICLE IT WAS VERY IN DEPTH  (sry for shouting)

Edited by raellgunawesum, 03 July 2018 - 03:12 PM.

Signed:

---Rael

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users