Map Tactics etc.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

__Crusader6__ #1 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 56055 battles
  • [III]

In the interest of trying to make some value added to the forum content, I am going to start posting some maps and positions on those maps.  

Both in map meta and dominate spots (some tank dependent ones etc) 

I have all the maps saved blank (as opposed to competitive team plans etc) and I go theu then and some spots adding some screen shots of certain places I like with certain tanks.   

I was going to add a poll to see where to start but we are limited as to answers and we have more maps than poll options.  

Caveat - all maps and tank positions will be tier 8+ discussion in random (non competitive team) play - both encounter and supremacy mode, simply as it’s more of interest to me.  

I invite anyone to offer advice on this as well.  

But to start what map would folks like to go over first. 

We have a lot of talent here - and a lot of folks eager to learn.  

Alphabetical Map Options 8+

Alpenstadt

Black Goldville

Canyon 

Castilla

Copperfield  

Dead Rail 

Desert Sands 

Dynasties Pearl

Ft Despair 

Fall Creek

Himmelsdorf

Lost Temple 

Mayan Ruins

Mirage

Oasis Palms

Port Bay 

Rockfield

Vineyards

Winter Malinovka 

Yamato Harbor 

o7 all, good luck & have fun 

Edited by __Crusader6__, 02 July 2018 - 06:09 PM.

Tank Hoarder: 352 tanks in Garage:  355/355 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo),    wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner
I think 5.5 was good for the game - But I also want my Kenny OP nerfed

Ookla_the_Mok #2 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 27761 battles
  • [BRSKT]
Looking forward to this. Winter Mal features many "generals" in pub matches and I often play it very slow the first minute and then attack from what develops. I'd be interested in seeing more about how players deal with this map.

[BRSKT] wants to put moist, succulent meat in your mouth.

Dikc_Dallas #3 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 28413 battles
  • [DEF_D]

I know there are going to be groans from the depths of the forums for saying this, but I would like to see what strategic locations work well on Dynasty's Pearl for both the hills and town.  Rather than dread a "town" call, I'd like to have a plan in mind before heading in there.

Let's face it.  We hate the map because either we don't know what to do, or we don't have the confidence to lead a team on that map, depending on the green/red mix. 

Also, we need tips on how to defeat those strategic locations...

edit: Thanks for offering to do this Crusader, it is a lot of work!

Edited by Dikc_Dallas, 29 June 2018 - 08:13 PM.

RommelTanker #4 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 1922 battles
  • [_DX2_]

I'll go off of what I've seen and had success with while playing the Leopard PT A.

Alpenstadt; the meta here seems very generic. Mediums and lights rush the hills with TDs for support while the heavies cover whichever side gets more players (generally hills). There are a few bushes that are good for spotting and sniping, and most of the bushes provide very good camo bonuses. Tanks with lots of gun depression (Americans and British) do very well on some of the rises.

Things to note about Alpenstadt:

• The Encounter capture circle is a serious choke point in the town area; two T95s or any tank with serious armor and firepower can hold down that area with utter impunity because it forces the enemy to attack them head on.
  • The supremacy bases are spaced rather bizarrely.

Btw C6, you could add extra poll questions and just phrase them as continuations of the original question :3

Edited by RommelTanker, 29 June 2018 - 08:14 PM.

reluctanttheist #5 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:14 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 23137 battles
  • [III-H]
Great idea.  I have some saved on Wottactic to add to this thread if needed

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

cheesehead247365 #6 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9048 battles
  • [TYCHE]
Agreed, Dynasty's Pearl.  

__Crusader6__ #7 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 56055 battles
  • [III]

I figured I’d post the map in a new thread in play guides (less traffic and link it here).  That way the maps etc stay higher on the pages and not lost in a lot of traffic here. 

But this thread will be bumped with links etc. 

Tank Hoarder: 352 tanks in Garage:  355/355 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo),    wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner

cheesehead247365 #8 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:18 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9048 battles
  • [TYCHE]

View Post__Crusader6__, on 29 June 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

I figured I’d post the map in a new thread in play guides (less traffic and link it here).  That way the maps etc stay higher on the pages and not lost in a lot of traffic here. 

But this thread will be bumped with links etc. 

Thanks for taking this on Crusader.  

__Crusader6__ #9 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:18 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 56055 battles
  • [III]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 29 June 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

Great idea.  I have some saved on Wottactic to add to this thread if needed

https://stratsketch.com/

between that and Map Inspector I’ve given up on WOTTACTIC. 

__Crusader6__ #10 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:22 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 56055 battles
  • [III]

The other question is of course Supremacy or Encounter.   

A great deal of players don’t seem to ‘get’ supremacy - so I want to offer both options and eventually (hopefully) we can get a pretty good Reference Library compiled.   

I initially disliked ‘Dumbremacy’ now I have both set to play - as I feel it makes me a better tanker to flip between both.   

nino223 #11 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:39 PM

The Raven

• Players
  • 24483 battles
  • [ADG]
So awesome of you to do this! +1

Edited by nino223, 29 June 2018 - 08:39 PM.

cheesehead247365 #12 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9048 battles
  • [TYCHE]
For those that don't get supremacy by now, I say screw em.  I'd go with encounter

bg2b #13 Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:01 PM

M4 Lifestyle

• Players
  • 19155 battles
  • [SPUD]

I'd personally like to see suggestions on the newer maps.  I think having a good idea for those gives you more of an advantage when lots of others are still mostly clueless.  First, you can better position your team since people who don't know the map well are more likely to listen to someone who seems confident about what to do.  Second, the larger proportion of lost people means more farming opportunities.

Posit1ve_ #14 Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:43 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 44924 battles
  • [LIES]

Well, I find the strong positions in encounter are also strong positions in supremacy. The thing about map tactics is positions may fade in and out of usefulness depending on how the battle unfolds. 

Anyway, I figure I'll contribute what I can to a constructive thread:

The basic key for each of the stratsketches I post will be the same: 

Blue = Early game spotting position/spotting run

Green = Generally strong positions

Yellow = Situationally strong position

Red = Areas I'd actively avoid unless necessary

Important lines of fire I've marked using dashed lines of the color of the zone they emanate from

Positions that are only useful from the opposite spawn have been marked with a circle of the color spawn you should have spawned from to make use of the position

Dynasty's Pearl positions
Alpenstadt positions
Winter Malinovka positions

More to be added later

Edited by Posit1ve_, 29 June 2018 - 10:14 PM.

301 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

LordManaz #15 Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:05 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 37188 battles
  • [HVC]

Alpenstadt

i have some strategies on different maps but im always open to learn some new

Maybe the worst noob in NA

___REDCELL #16 Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:17 PM

Never Carries Fire Extinguisher

• Players
  • 11598 battles
  • [BL4DE]

View Post__Crusader6__, on 29 June 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

The other question is of course Supremacy or Encounter.   

A great deal of players don’t seem to ‘get’ supremacy - so I want to offer both options and eventually (hopefully) we can get a pretty good Reference Library compiled.   

I initially disliked ‘Dumbremacy’ now I have both set to play - as I feel it makes me a better tanker to flip between both.   

Did our last toon with that battle at Fort Despair make you think of this? :teethhappy::hiding:

WipWapJaws #17 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:51 PM

Clanless Scrub

• Players
  • 41229 battles
  • [WKD]
I agree that many players dont understand Supremacy and how it works as it takes a completely different mindset than regular battle.  I dont know how many times I have been called a nub by a player who sat in a cap farming damage where there were two caps unattended.  It s a game mode where you really can have what i call pointless damage.  Like the last survivor in a regular match who has sat at the back in an IS6 putting shots in occasionally not up front using his armour to soak up shots that would other wise damage his less armoured teammates allowing them to be in the game longer and be more effective. 

InkaPanzer #18 Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:22 AM

Tanquista Peruano

• Players
  • 44502 battles
  • [DBLAT]
Excellent idea C6! Maybe can you start with the new map Alpenstadt?

Saludos desde Perú!

minitel_NA #19 Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:33 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostDikc_Dallas, on 29 June 2018 - 08:11 PM, said:

I know there are going to be groans from the depths of the forums for saying this, but I would like to see what strategic locations work well on Dynasty's Pearl for both the hills and town.  Rather than dread a "town" call, I'd like to have a plan in mind before heading in there.

Let's face it.  We hate the map because either we don't know what to do, or we don't have the confidence to lead a team on that map, depending on the green/red mix. 

Also, we need tips on how to defeat those strategic locations...

edit: Thanks for offering to do this Crusader, it is a lot of work!

Im only talking encounter, supremacy is a different game that I’m not playing. Consider everything to be the opposite in supremacy and you aren’t far from wisdom. 

• Park. there is a single place where to rush and spot if you are a light armorless.
  • Park. There are a many many nice spots to go hull down and dig in to block reds if you are a hard turret and gun depression type of tank
  • Park. there are a few long lines of fire if you are a td and if your team understand that they need to bait enemy into your lane. One of these lines is just spawn camping and onlooking towards the park.
  • park. A lot of the position in park involve rotating around those small mounds , consider it like dials on a safe, and youn rotate them until someone gets crunched in the wrong combinations.
  • An alternate to that is to try to rotate the furthest mound from the action, and a few of them have bushes, if you get that line of fire from a bush you might be able to do decent damage into town without chasing tails. 
  • Town. Town is a bit trickier, u don’t want to get flanked so park should be taken care off first. Like in any map in blitz, controlling the open field is controlling the enemy’s movements. 
  • Town. If the situation is stalled. A light tank might want to flank through town. 
  • Town. Sometimes capping can call reds into some deadly lines of fire.

Overall this map is so small, you can think that any position you are in should be abandoned after a few seconds, to be occupied again in the next few seconds. Hope that helped. You can also study the lines of fire, viewranges in map inspector. Or also retro analyzed and run the game backwards. Especially how you died, each time you are in that map. That helped me. 

Edited by minitel_NA, 30 June 2018 - 02:36 AM.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

Absolute_Sniper #20 Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:51 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28613 battles
  • [CRU2L]
Awesome stuff C6. Looking forward to It. Particularly the breakdown for different types of tanks. I see so many people find a position that works in their IS variant and they try to make the same spots work in a light tank or paper td.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users