Map Work #1: Alpenstadt

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

__Crusader6__ #1 Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 53417 battles
  • [III]

This is the first map I am doing in a public setting (as opposed to working on III Tournament and CW team tactics maps).

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like this map -- it has a little something for everyone.

First posts are from the East Spawn, and from both a Heavy and Medium perspective.

Generally I will go NW regardless in Encounter -- I believe the terrain suits better players there more than going town (ugh) or the SE side - as you have more room to maneuver, and terrain that suits all types of tanks.

Basic overview of the NW terrain via Map Inspector

Posted Image

In a heavy going right from spawn you have two main options 

Posted Image

Which route I take depends upon my team and red makeup - as well as what my team is doing.

Obviously some tanks will do better in some position better than others, sadly often in this game, you need to put your tank in non optimal spots simply as your team is leaving a gap that red will use to their advantage.

The right path (as indicated above)

Posted Image

This position will allow you to cutoff red meds backing down - or red heavies and Assault Guns (or foolish paper TDS) moving to support.

The Left Path

Posted Image

This allows you to fire into bushes that a red TD can deny some of the mediums ways to advance.

Mediums:

Posted Image

Depending again on team layout I will go one of two initial positions.

Building/Bush at A4

Posted Image 

This gives spots onto red meds - but is also a very obvious spot.

Posted Image

If nothing pops - I try to rush to the tracks ---  IF I am a gun depression med 

If not 

Posted Image

The train is a very effective piece of cover --- if reds do establish in the B1/B2 area - the train can allow one to get some cross fire and protection.

Posted Image

The rocks left of the train provide total coverage in this position -- one can turn off auto aim - and angle ones tank to bait bounces very well, and still get shots on reds when inching out.

Now C6 -- what happens if red goes town.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

B2 area offers cross shots on the cap.

I'll lob some HE there if the cap timer pops without any reds spotted.

I will get some TD spots up in a bit.

The most important thing to remember in this map is it has some crazy fire lanes - and you need to be careful about exposing. 

Tank Hoarder: 340 tanks in Garage:  343/343 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo)wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner

TRIARII PLATINUM CARD WALLET WARRIORS - Funding your Blitz experience since 2014

__Crusader6__ #2 Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 53417 battles
  • [III]

* Note well --- if you go up to the bridge at A2/A3 -- do not try to pop up from the North side right onto the train area -- you will get stuck for a bit on the small stone ledge.

Posted Image

You will be a large target for several seconds -- and based on making this error before, be a smoking crater in about 3...

Edited by __Crusader6__, 02 July 2018 - 03:09 PM.

Tank Hoarder: 340 tanks in Garage:  343/343 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo)wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner

TRIARII PLATINUM CARD WALLET WARRIORS - Funding your Blitz experience since 2014

cheesehead247365 #3 Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8147 battles
  • [TYCHE]
great work so far Crusader

wrecker1968 #4 Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 34077 battles
  • [HOUSE]
nice job. tough map. well thought out when they made it.

SullBhit #5 Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17574 battles
  • [CLEAR]
I was anti city when this map came out because I much prefer hull down to sidescraping.  However, the city side offers lots of gullies around the city area where you can hull down, too.

I’ve found the hills side has so many firing lanes, it’s easy to get into an exposed area if the fighting drags on or get pinned to the point of non-productivity.  How do you handle this?

slayer_____ #6 Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:47 PM

Spray and Pray

• Players
  • 35169 battles
  • [ATA2D]
Good stuff. I don’t like that map but that should help me with future battles. Any thought into making this a video series? 

LordManaz #7 Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32698 battles
  • [HVC]

When I play the role of scout, I use the hill of the bridge located in the middle of the map, first I light them for the team, then I can analyze the situation if someone tries to flank around the city if it happen i take cover rolling my tank down the hill meanwhile I can shoot from the bottom of the hill always keeping to covered, this forces the meds to retreat or change position because they are taking shot from 2 directions.

the truth almost always gives results but everything depends on the team

*the same if u start in green side

Edited by LordManaz, 02 July 2018 - 04:51 PM.

Maybe the worst noob in NA

Posit1ve_ #8 Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 42351 battles
  • [_V_]
I kinda prefer the town side on this map usually because most of the NW positions are completely uncovered from flanking fire from the town/spawns. 

301 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

TikiTarr #9 Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44532 battles
  • [DD]
While I have great respect for you Crusader as an old timer of the game like myself, I think on the forum there are too many photos and the message too long.  Probably a better place to make a strategy session.  Generally too, I would keep strategy discussions for CW or tournaments w/ fellow clan mates.  Good luck and see you on the battlefield my friend.
DD

__Crusader6__ #10 Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:18 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 53417 battles
  • [III]

View PostSullBhit, on 02 July 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

I was anti city when this map came out because I much prefer hull down to sidescraping. However, the city side offers lots of gullies around the city area where you can hull down, too.

I’ve found the hills side has so many firing lanes, it’s easy to get into an exposed area if the fighting drags on or get pinned to the point of non-productivity. How do you handle this?

Well, it depends.  Sometimes by aggressive pushes - other times by dropping down and waiting for reds.   I try to leave town till cleanup as I see teams getting all sores out there 

View PostPosit1ve_, on 02 July 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

I kinda prefer the town side on this map usually because most of the NW positions are completely uncovered from flanking fire from the town/spawns. 

Yeah it’s a catch 22.  

Generally for Pubbie battles I prefer the hillls. Some of that is selfish as I tend to play gun depression tanks.

But if I roll the IS-7/4 I will push low side toward where ‘A’ is on Supremacy.  

I’ve seen you work an auto loader brilliantly from town - however in my experience town and low side asks too much from your team to think about.   This way I can get spots and pull reds towards my teams guns.   

SullBhit #11 Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:16 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17574 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View Post__Crusader6__, on 02 July 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

Well, it depends.  Sometimes by aggressive pushes - other times by dropping down and waiting for reds.   I try to leave town till cleanup as I see teams getting all sores out there 

Aggressive pushes don’t tend to go well for me.  I suffer a combination of issues... laggy connections (typically 100+ ping) with old man reflexes.  These combine to cause me to overexpose.  You have a couple spots I’ve never tried because they are in that aggressive zone that can give me trouble.  However, I’ll give them a try.  As long as the cover is there, I’m good at exposing when my target has fired or was hit by someone else.  Let’s see how they work.  Thanks for this thread.

Edited by SullBhit, 02 July 2018 - 07:17 PM.

__Crusader6__ #12 Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:23 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 53417 battles
  • [III]

I tried to highlight most of the danger zones in those positions.  

I got a little distracted though (9week old Chocolate Lab puppy chewing on my toes) and didn’t get everything done.  

More to follow tomorrow.  

In hard turret tanks I often pop up and try to bait shots from those to try to illuminate hiding snipers. 

In softer tank I reset camp and then pop and drop and hope my reflexes where good enough.  

I ate some 183 HESH today in my M46 Patton that ammoracked me - they got him - but a very disappointing game on my end.  

Ookla_the_Mok #13 Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 27247 battles
  • [BRSKT]

I'm going to have to digest this information. I've been playing in that corner a bunch, but the map allows for some serious counters and flanks can be brutal (this is a good thing). I am not making good use of the lower area between that corner and the town as I want to exploit the firing lanes, but am taking far too many shells to the face when I attempt it. 

Big fan of these threads and any resulting discussion, thanks for putting this together Crusader.

[BRSKT] wants to put moist, succulent meat in your mouth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users