guide how-to tank destroyer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

raellgunawesum #1 Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11377 battles
  • [_GG_]

Tank Destroyers are a unique class in WoTB, similar to how arty is unique in WoT PC. The most notable difference is that they have no turret. Most Tank Destroyers lack a rotating turret, meaning that in order to traverse the gun past a certain range, you need to turn the whole hull, resulting in camo deductions and gun dispersion. This means that you will need to do a few things in order to play Tank Destroyers effectively.

Pros

Big Guns

Tank Destroyers have on average, big guns. AT class, I’m looking at you. (Because British engineers know everything about tanks) They also have very fast reloads for guns of that size. This means that they can dish out massive damage in short periods of time.

High Camo Values

Tank Destroyers are notoriously hard to spot, given their high camo values, which is further increased by the camo you can buy for them. The best thing to do in a TD is to go bush camping. Find a well protected spot, with  a bush, hide in it, and obliterate any enemies that cross in front of you. Just try not to get spotted or else you will be fired on and die.

Cons

No Turrets

The biggest weakness of the TD and the most notable is the lack of a working turret. ****NOTE: Some TDs do have turrets, mainly the American TDs and the FV183. (The FV’s turret cannot completely traverse)***** This leaves them susceptible to the “Circle of Death” tactic, as not only can they usually not turn fast enough to meet their oncoming attackers, they cannot use a turret for additional traverse speed. If you encounter a light tank or really any tank, if you can’t kill it in a single hit, then run for it.

Moderate/Mediocre Armor

TDs have rather weak armor, meaning that they are easily damaged by enemy gunfire. (except those accursed AT TDs) Most TDs DO have sloped armor to help with this however, SU class and T25, AMX class. There are a few TDs with insanely heavy armor (American TDs) that compensate to the lack of a slope. However, the heavy armor severely reduces maneuverability. IF you use this type of TD, BE CAREFUL. Do not be fooled. If you use such a vehicle, Light tanks are more lethal than heavies or even other TDs, as they can easily flank you, and single handedly kill you, all without you being able to shoot back. Which brings me to the final point.

Vulnerability to Flanking

No TDs are not slow or unmaneuverable. They are usually based on the hull of a medium tank, and rarely heavies. This, coupled with the fact that they don’t have the weight of a turret, allows them to actually turn and accelerate faster than the average tank. However, due to the fact that they have no turret, if they get pinned or the enemy gets to their sides or rear,  then they are basically dead. **NOTE: You can employ the Circle of Death against a heavy in a TD, but this requires a lot of skill, so don’t blame me if you die.****

Small Health Pool

TDs have the lowest HP pool of any vehicle class in the game. Sometimes. It is matchable to a light tank’s hit points, which isn’t really that great. This means that they die in 3 or 4 hits, making them very easy to kill, and combined with their moderate armor and vulnerability to being flanked, enemies wanting an easy kill will target you.

How To Play

Camp. Camp Camp Camp. And bring s’mores. If you hate to sit around and snipe, then don’t play a TD, because that is literally all they can do. DO NOT go up to the frontline unless necessary. (EX.If your team will lose if you don’t) When sniping, check the minimap and count the number of enemies brawling your team. If the number is less than 7, be VERY careful, as that enemy may appear behind you, and as stated earlier, that results in an almost guaranteed death.

If you do find yourself on the frontline, then employ these strategies:

• Awareness

Check the minimap often, and keep track of where your enemies are, in order to ensure you don’t get flanked and die.

• Move as little as possible

When on the frontline, try to take cover in a bush to reduce the chances of being spotted. Your armor is not that great, and your meager amount of hit points mean you cannot take many hits. Thus, try to avoid hidden as much as possible. Your camo value will help you, and try not to move as much as possible. If an enemy goes too far left or right, consider the situation before following them. Consider the following:(not ripping off Bill Nye)

Are you spotted?

If:  YES-then turn anyway screw that the enemies already see you

NO-Then check the enemy positions; if any enemies are nearby or looking in your general direction, then don’t turn. If the running enemy is the only one nearby, then feel free to turn, but turn with caution.

• Are any of your allies in need of help?

For example, if your M6 is getting mobbed by 2 VK 28.01s, then help him/her out! Fire on the VKs, and if you put enough rounds into them, then they might just run away! If your M4 is having trouble suppressing a group of enemies, train your gun on that area and hammer your enemies in! Of course, keep in mind that you hull may turn. There are markers when you are in sniper mode, that tell you how close you are to your gun traverse limit. They look like the elevation and depression indicators, but are to the sides.             

• Is there any opening to flank?

Like I stated already, there is a common misconception that TDs are slow or something like that. They aren’t. They can flank just as well as any other tank. Just be EXTRA CAUTIOUS. Try to bring a teammate with you to back you up and stop you from being outflanked. If you don’t bring a teammate, then set up further away from the enemies so that it is less likely they will get around you. (100, 200 meters is good though 200 may be too far)

Now get out there. And massacre every last one of your enemies and make them wish they never pressed the BATTLE button. Have Fun and GOOD LUCK! ;)

Signed:

---Rael

cheesehead247365 #2 Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8590 battles
  • [TYCHE]
quick question OP, not to be rude.  Why are you posting all this info?

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #3 Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10092 battles
  • [COD]

View Postcheesehead247365, on 06 July 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

I think it would greatly benefit new players to at least know the basic attributes of their tank. 

I love nothing more / Than my beautiful, succulent chins . . .

Co-founder of the Training Room Police Department (TRPD)

Looking for a tournament clan? Click here.

raellgunawesum #4 Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11377 battles
  • [_GG_]
yeh, you want more details? Then get ready for a 100 page paper :trollface:

Signed:

---Rael

boppinbobby #5 Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 45366 battles
  • [HJG2]

View Postcheesehead247365, on 06 July 2018 - 10:49 AM, said:

Larger font for us older, hard of seeing players ;o)

Big Gunz and Ammo Rackz.

HJG2; Hughmons are People too.

Dan_Deerso #6 Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:09 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 21322 battles
  • [MOMS]

I'm gonna be honest. Anybody reading this should take a grain of salt in all of this information, because it's patently false or oversimplified in a few notable areas.

I might write out how and why after my coffee, but right now I just don't care. Y'all have Google.

GentleNova #7 Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:24 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 22969 battles
  • [FABLE]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 06 July 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

I'm gonna be honest. Anybody reading this should take a grain of salt in all of this information, because it's patently false or oversimplified in a few notable areas.

I’m not so sure I’d respond to it that way. I would have to say that it is oversimplified and the information is true for the TDs it is applicable for. But at the same time, it is false to assume that this applies to all TDs (which is why it’s an oversimplified). Simple example would be russian TDs, as they are optimized for being more up close brawlers (ie Obj263 yolo wagon) and may not be as accurate sniping from longer ranges. 

All that said, I commend the OP for trying to share knowledge and I’d give it a thumbs up for the post as a good basic introduction to TDs. But ya, as you go up the lines and gain more experience with all the different TDs, you’ll quickly see the play style for them can change radically, even a couple of times in one line. 

X: Obj 263*, T110E4, T110E3, FV215b 183 / IX: SU-122-54*, T-54*, ST-I, IS-8, Jagdtiger

VIII: Type 59*, IS-6*, Löwe*, T34*, T26E4, Tiger II / VII: SU-122-44*, Comet*, T-34-85 Rudy, Type 62, VK 30.02 D*, E25*

NateDawg2k16 #8 Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:34 AM

Swedish Mafia Captain

• Players
  • 12913 battles
  • [META]
Sorry but I'm not going to read text larger than the default text size

"If you're gonna go out, go out with a bang." - Nobody said this. But somebody should have. 

raellgunawesum #9 Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11377 battles
  • [_GG_]
Quick clarification I see over-simplification is an issue, and I agree with you all about that. I didn't want to drown anyone reading this in info. Like I stated above, I COULD give you a 100 page  paper about TDs if you so wished :bajan::trollface: But i have a feeling you wouldn't want to read that :D

Signed:

---Rael

Dan_Deerso #10 Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:52 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 21322 battles
  • [MOMS]

View Postraellgunawesum, on 07 July 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

Quick clarification I see over-simplification is an issue, and I agree with you all about that. I didn't want to drown anyone reading this in info. Like I stated above, I COULD give you a 100 page  paper about TDs if you so wished :bajan::trollface: But i have a feeling you wouldn't want to read that :D

Just put complicated stuff in spoilers.

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users