Jump to content


Which heavy line is for me?


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

xXShipDudeXx #1 Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:43 PM

    Private

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 5
  • Member since:
    06-23-2014
Im basically your run of the mill heavy tanker, I guess. I suppose I’m “the elephant” of the tank variety, in that I don’t really care about speed or maneuverability, and I see a tanks potential in its thick armor and massive gun. I occasionally like to push, but I mainly like to find cover, angle, bounce shots and shut down the enemy push. I’m currently working down the Russian heavy line, I heard The IS-4 line was great for this role in both WOT and WOTB. Anything else I should consider, like another line or tank?

FitzhughGoode #2 Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 93850 battles
  • 339
  • [FUXII]
  • Member since:
    01-11-2015

Welp. I don't see you on the server yet. 

If you intend to enter competitions,  Maus.  Last Mobile Master's, there were a lot of WZ-113's.  IS 7's are popular in competition as well.

Another thing to consider in WoTB is crew skills.  You'll have to play each class to do your crew skills for free.  TD skills are arguably the most important skills.  However max out your mentor ASAP.  Shouldn't need to explain that.



Posit1ve_ #3 Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:25 PM

    Credits Master

  • Players
  • 44093 battles
  • 5,111
  • [LIES]
  • Member since:
    04-12-2011

Well, none of the heavy lines are super consistent really, with most of them only coming into their own at tiers 9 and 10, with very few of the tier V-VII heavies really fully fitting the big gun, big armor heavy tank stereotype. 

At tiers V-VII, I'd say the tanks closest to what you're looking for are the KV-1 at tier V, ARL-44 at tier VI, and T29,KV-3, and Tiger P at tier VII. Honorable mentions for low tiers are the Brits (lots of armor, but small guns and really slow). Most tier V-VII heavies are generally lacking in the armor department though; you'll find very few tanks here that can just sit and soak shots like nobody's business

 

At tiers 8, 9, and 10, it really depends on what kind of armor you're looking for. The Germans boast lots of raw armor thickness, lots of HP, and big guns. If you like meticulous angling, then you'll enjoy the Germans. E-100 leans more in the "big gun" department with a massive 15cm gun, but is a little more fragile than the Maus, which sacrifices even more mobility and firepower to just be the ultimate shell sponge when angled correctly. 

 

The Americans have passable frontal hull armor, but really specialize in their turret armor, starting even at tier 7. With an American, if you hide the hull, you're practically invincible. Furthermore, Americans feature excellent gun depression making this even more convenient (gun depression is how far a tank can "depress" the gun, or how far down you can point it)

 

The IS-4 line features good hull armor, kind of like the Germans, but with better sloping. They're also a little faster than the Germans and feature tougher turrets, but they hit a little less hard and have less HP in return.

 

The IS-7 line is similar to the Americans with practically invincible turrets and weak hulls, but they trade the gun depression and accuracy of the Americans for bigger guns and more speed.

 

The Chinese are similar to the IS-7 line in terms of mobility, low gun depression and turret/hull armor, but trade away the larger guns in favor of smaller, more accurate, and faster firing guns

 

The British heavies have a complete personality shift at tier 8, and go from slow heavily armored monsters to more lightly armored tanks focused on fast firing, accurate guns

 

The French heavies are the embodiment of "Speed is armor". The mobility on the tier 8+ French heavies rivals even most medium tanks. However, they've got practically no actual armor whatsoever, with even the lowly MS-1 able to penetrate the sides of the tier 10 AMX 50 B. However, their guns are the most unique of all, since the feature autoloading weapons, with the tier 9 and 10 able to dish out an impressive 1200 damage in 6 seconds. (For reference, an IS-4 deals only 420 damage per shot with a 12 second reload).

 

Also, you may consider the American tank destroyer lines. The T110E3 line is famed for their frontal armor, and they feature the traditional large caliber TD guns too, with the tier 9 T95 hitting harder than any tier 10 heavy, however they do lack turrets, and are also exceedingly slow, so beware of that. The T110E4 line is similar to the US heavies, but lose some of the turret armor in favor of the same large caliber TD guns as the T110E3 line. 

 


Edited by Posit1ve_, 07 July 2018 - 05:27 PM.

301 tanks in the garage!

 

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict


_UrgleMcPurfle_ #4 Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 10086 battles
  • 2,696
  • [COD]
  • Member since:
    07-19-2016

View PostFitzhughGoode, on 07 July 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

Welp. I don't see you on the server yet. 

If you intend to enter competitions,  Maus.  Last Mobile Master's, there were a lot of WZ-113's.  IS 7's are popular in competition as well.

Another thing to consider in WoTB is crew skills.  You'll have to play each class to do your crew skills for free.  TD skills are arguably the most important skills.  However max out your mentor ASAP.  Shouldn't need to explain that.

 

Wasn't there a thread detailing how Mentor is basically the worst crew skill?

 

I think it has something to do with the Crew XP needed to max it out is less than the potential XP it gives.


I love nothing more / Than my beautiful, succulent chins . . .

 

Co-founder of the Training Room Police Department (TRPD)

 

Looking for a tournament clan? Click here.


Posit1ve_ #5 Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

    Credits Master

  • Players
  • 44093 battles
  • 5,111
  • [LIES]
  • Member since:
    04-12-2011

View PostFitzhughGoode, on 07 July 2018 - 12:13 PM, said:

However max out your mentor ASAP.  

Ignore this advice by the way. Someone did the math on this a while back. In total, Mentor will save you like 600 total games if you max out mentor first, and then train every single other skill to the max. All in all, not worth considering it takes tens of thousands of games to max out all the crew skills

 

Here's my guide to crew skills: http://forum.wotblit...ng-crew-skills/


Edited by Posit1ve_, 07 July 2018 - 05:31 PM.

301 tanks in the garage!

 

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict


Dan_Deerso #6 Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:39 PM

    Tankologist

  • Players
  • 21304 battles
  • 3,638
  • [MOMS]
  • Member since:
    11-13-2013

View PostPosit1ve_, on 07 July 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Ignore this advice by the way. Someone did the math on this a while back. In total, Mentor will save you like 70 total games if you max out mentor first, and then train every single other skill to the max. All in all, not worth considering it takes tens of thousands of games to max out all the crew skills

 

Here's my guide to crew skills: http://forum.wotblit...ng-crew-skills/

 

Could use a bit of an update (wink wink)

 

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 07 July 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

 

Wasn't there a thread detailing how Mentor is basically the worst crew skill?

 

I think it has something to do with the Crew XP needed to max it out is less than the potential XP it gives.

 

One crew skill takes 3,099,000 crew XP, times 19 is 58,881,000. 7% extra crew XP drops the required "base" crew XP to get all other crew skills to level seven to about 55,030,000 Crew XP. That's a difference of 3,851,000. To train Mentor, you need 2,956,836 base crew XP (since it kinda circlejerks itself). If you go for nothing but Mentor at the start of your crew skill grind, you'll save about a third of a maxed crew (900,000 crew XP) skill when you finish, after the first initial investment of one whole level seven crew skill.

 

TL; DR Mentor's really not worth it.



xXShipDudeXx #7 Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

    Private

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 5
  • Member since:
    06-23-2014

View PostPosit1ve_, on 07 July 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

Well, none of the heavy lines are super consistent really, with most of them only coming into their own at tiers 9 and 10, with very few of the tier V-VII heavies really fully fitting the big gun, big armor heavy tank stereotype. 

At tiers V-VII, I'd say the tanks closest to what you're looking for are the KV-1 at tier V, ARL-44 at tier VI, and T29,KV-3, and Tiger P at tier VII. Honorable mentions for low tiers are the Brits (lots of armor, but small guns and really slow). Most tier V-VII heavies are generally lacking in the armor department though; you'll find very few tanks here that can just sit and soak shots like nobody's business

 

At tiers 8, 9, and 10, it really depends on what kind of armor you're looking for. The Germans boast lots of raw armor thickness, lots of HP, and big guns. If you like meticulous angling, then you'll enjoy the Germans. E-100 leans more in the "big gun" department with a massive 15cm gun, but is a little more fragile than the Maus, which sacrifices even more mobility and firepower to just be the ultimate shell sponge when angled correctly. 

 

The Americans have passable frontal hull armor, but really specialize in their turret armor, starting even at tier 7. With an American, if you hide the hull, you're practically invincible. Furthermore, Americans feature excellent gun depression making this even more convenient (gun depression is how far a tank can "depress" the gun, or how far down you can point it)

 

The IS-4 line features good hull armor, kind of like the Germans, but with better sloping. They're also a little faster than the Germans and feature tougher turrets, but they hit a little less hard and have less HP in return.

 

The IS-7 line is similar to the Americans with practically invincible turrets and weak hulls, but they trade the gun depression and accuracy of the Americans for bigger guns and more speed.

 

The Chinese are similar to the IS-7 line in terms of mobility, low gun depression and turret/hull armor, but trade away the larger guns in favor of smaller, more accurate, and faster firing guns

 

The British heavies have a complete personality shift at tier 8, and go from slow heavily armored monsters to more lightly armored tanks focused on fast firing, accurate guns

 

The French heavies are the embodiment of "Speed is armor". The mobility on the tier 8+ French heavies rivals even most medium tanks. However, they've got practically no actual armor whatsoever, with even the lowly MS-1 able to penetrate the sides of the tier 10 AMX 50 B. However, their guns are the most unique of all, since the feature autoloading weapons, with the tier 9 and 10 able to dish out an impressive 1200 damage in 6 seconds. (For reference, an IS-4 deals only 420 damage per shot with a 12 second reload).

 

Also, you may consider the American tank destroyer lines. The T110E3 line is famed for their frontal armor, and they feature the traditional large caliber TD guns too, with the tier 9 T95 hitting harder than any tier 10 heavy, however they do lack turrets, and are also exceedingly slow, so beware of that. The T110E4 line is similar to the US heavies, but lose some of the turret armor in favor of the same large caliber TD guns as the T110E3 line. 

 

Hmm. I mean, it sounds like The IS-4 line fits me. I like to be able to rely on my hull, albeit with some angling.



Dan_Deerso #8 Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

    Tankologist

  • Players
  • 21304 battles
  • 3,638
  • [MOMS]
  • Member since:
    11-13-2013
Just a heads up, it took me 5,500 medium tank games and 5,350 TD games to max those two categories out (including mentor, because why not at that point, crew XP isn't going anywhere else).


gunshotx #9 Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

    Egotistical Noob

  • Players
  • 17695 battles
  • 194
  • [SR-71]
  • Member since:
    08-02-2013
Based on what you said above, I’ve gotta recommend the E-100. Great big gun will allow you to outtrade any other heavies you brawl with and it is extremely good at side scraping. You’ll rarely get rushed unless there are 3+ tanks with only you due to the fear factor from your gun. Sidescraping effectively will allow you to bounce 80%ish if the time as long as you avoid high pen TD’s. To top it all off its speed is fairly decent.

TheBossSEAN #10 Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:47 AM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 38 battles
  • 216
  • Member since:
    01-21-2017
dude play a few games than ask

SEAN-THE YOLOING CHICKEN WHO LIKES "TURTELS" THIS IS MIEN REROLL;MAIN CommanderSean_2014 (na) | BlitzStars.com

*I'm *Taiwanese* so pls forgive my crappy English* {click on pic for enlarged pic}  

    FREE ARMOR INSPECTOR AT:Knowledge database for World of Tanks Blitz – Blitz Hangar                                 

 





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users