Rebalanced low-tier vehicles

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

MaXSty1er #1 Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

Lance-corporal

• Administrator
  • 0 battles

Education is very important and time-consuming process that does not end up buying tier II tank and getting your first gold. Education covers player’s first battles, mastering higher tiers, maps and basic tactics. After 4 years of development, WoT Blitz is featuring large amount of vehicles, advanced mechanics, entities and events that are quite hard to harness all at once. Even basic mechanics such as driving, aiming and shooting are quite difficult for the newcomers – especially for those using touch devices. Immersing into WoT Blitz world should be gradual. Current tutorial includes tips and tasks that help new players get settled, however we believe that it are not enough to cover all the aspects of the game. Mastering these aspects makes newcomer more effective ally or worthy opponent. Moreover, when inexperienced player encounters skillful and experienced opponent, the gap between them is very significant.

The educational problem is clearly understandable by both developers and veteran players: we see your feedback on the official forum, social media pages and YouTube. Thus, we believe solving this problem should start from the very beginning of new player’s “lifespan”. Focusing on the following issues seems like the most appropriate first step:

• New players has little time to sort out the great range of in-game mechanics. This affects all battles in future – experienced players sometimes face allies who do not know how to use basic tools that boost effectiveness.
  • Newcomers feel difficulty in choosing from great variety of uncommon things: equipment, consumables, provision and different vehicles. This makes them feel embarrassed and distracted.
  • Once started a battle, new players find themselves fighting not only more skillful opponents with fully equipped tanks but also with unaccustomed controls, new maps and events. His vehicle is destroyed instantly, without acquiring skills and understanding of the game.

These are the reasons we have decided to alter the tutorial system concept. It will become vaster to allow presenting new game mechanics step-by-step. Above-mentioned changes are aimed at tiers II-V. Here are some of the details:

• Starting from the Update 5.1 new game mechanics will be unlocked step-by-step, together with the research of higher tiers tanks. This will allow new players to focus on new entities and their usage.

We consider several options, which are not yet finalized. Here are some of them:

• Changing tech tree structure at lower tiers. Since we want to make researching tanks more logical and linear, and decrease the amount of tanks with similar gameplay, there will be less tanks in tech trees at lower tiers. This can cause difficulties while transferring to higher tiers – that’s why we ask for your advice on how to make this transfer more comfortable. Please also mind that low-level vehicles that you already have on your accounts will remain there and will become premiums.
  • The amount of modules at low-level vehicles will be decreased for the whole research system to become clearer. We plan to retain only the most effective modules to keep it simple. The overall research speed will remain the same.
  • Initially, newcomers will fight mostly with each other. This will allow them to acquire more basic skills that are often missed when being instantly destroyed by more experienced players. That’s why we’re considering matchmaker with 2 queues. However, veteran players may still get into newbie battles, so the new low-level paradigm covers all players – both new and experienced. As a result, changes at low tiers will increase the amount of skillful players at mid- and high tiers. We are also aware of players with lots of battles and low efficiency. If you have any suggestions on how to improve their performance, we’ll be glad to hear you.
  • We’re also considering option to lock equipment slots at low tiers. This can level the difference between veteran players with every equipment slot unlocked and newbies who hardly understand what it actually is. Most attentive tankers may have noticed that we’ve already tested equipment withdrawal at low tiers in the Update 5.1 OpenTest, however, based on players’ feedback we’ve decided not to withdraw equipment in 5.1 and to consider other options.
  • Tier II-V tanks will be rebalanced to become more comfortable. Basic mechanics, such as aiming, shooting, penetrating armor will become easier to master. Step-by-step players will learn more advanced features. Readjusting tanks’ specs will also compensate the absence of some consumables and provisions. Our goal is to make them comfortable, without huge gap between tiers with different amount of equipment. Low-level premium tanks will be rebalanced to fit in the new gameplay properly, without losing their fun or strengths.

Balance adjustments will cover vast majority of vehicles. In order to tune them properly, we need your help. The OpenTest registration has started, and its main goal is to check new specs of low-level researchable and premium tanks. Such adjustment is very time-consuming and will take several updates for the whole system to get settled. The more profound testing and your feedback will be, the faster results will come.

Please keep in mind that OT balance is not finalized – depending on stats gathered and your feedback, further tuning will be performed. Test accounts contain only tier I–VI tanks.

Participating in OpenTest require following steps:

Login: your account email, password: last 7 digits of your phone number.

Registration will close at 1:00 PM (UTC), July 18. Testing the rebalanced low-tier tanks will start at 1:00 PM (UTC), July 19 and finish at 9:00 AM (UTC), July 21.

Please note that OpenTest server is located at EU-region, so players from NA may face high ping.

WipWapJaws #2 Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

Clanless Scrub

• Players
  • 38554 battles
  • [WKD]

Personally I would rather you had more options to educate new players on the game mechanics than dumb down low tiers. 

I always believe on educating people to bring them up than dumb things down for them.

That said the education ideas stated are a step in the right direction 

Edited by WipWapJaws, 20 July 2018 - 01:28 PM.

fat_frankie #3 Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:11 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10436 battles
  • [LMFA0]
This is utter bullśhit to put it plainly.

Edited by tweek_1, 16 July 2018 - 01:12 PM.

Zuke76 #4 Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13616 battles
  • [O_OPS]

View Posttweek_1, on 16 July 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

This is utter bullśhit to put it plainly.

how so? by helping the lower tiers so there aren't total noobs messing up tier 8 and 10

@MaXSty1er

I think it would be a good idea to lock the store until they have researched a tier 6?

A Part of the Training Room Police Department(TRPD) thanks to __Seal__

War_Vet_1 #5 Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:49 PM

Major Disaster

• Players
  • 13739 battles
  • [4ROG]
Hey WG, don’t f-up the compensation. I’m still pregnant with you’re love child from 3.8!

Ignoring life 7 minutes at a time!

Jonny_applesauce #6 Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5318 battles

View PostZuke76, on 16 July 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

how so? by helping the lower tiers so there aren't total noobs messing up tier 8 and 10

@MaXSty1er

I think it would be a good idea to lock the store until they have researched a tier 6?

Yeah, or make it that new players can't buy a premium tank of a given tier unless they have researched a tank of that tier from the tech tree.

WoT blitz is better than WoT PC imho because no arty and +/- 1 mm.

Jonny Applesauce

fat_frankie #7 Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10436 battles
  • [LMFA0]

View PostZuke76, on 16 July 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

@MaXSty1er

how is limiting the gameplay (ie making it easier)from tier 1 to 5 going to teach anyone anything? They will be even more noobish at higher tiers. This is only designed to keep the noobs happy and playing longer.

Edited by tweek_1, 16 July 2018 - 01:57 PM.

Kiser_Sosei #8 Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:57 PM

Who is Kiser Sosei?!?

• Players
  • 27108 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostMaXSty1er, on 16 July 2018 - 06:31 AM, said:

...we ask for your advice on how to make this transfer more comfortable.

@Maxsty1er

How do we submit this feedback to WG?

1. Don't nerf tier 5 slots.
2. Create a tank qualification tutorial. Like most race car games. Incentivize learning with crew skill increase for better learned tutorial. Do not let a player play until he can perform some basic functions.

"MM may not be rigged but RNGesus only answers the prayers of one team."
My WOTB Youtube Channel.

https://www.blitzsta...com/Kiser_Sosei

Ookla_the_Mok #9 Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:19 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 26979 battles
  • [BRSKT]
I posted thoughts on the Update 5.1 thread and was instantly reminded how pointless that was when I opened this thread. Feedback from the NA server is not even read never mind considered. If any WG employee wishes for feedback from me they can message me and I will thoughtfully reply with musings from a decent player that plays a diverse garage and has spent oodles of money. 

[BRSKT] wants to put moist, succulent meat in your mouth.

Zuke76 #10 Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13616 battles
  • [O_OPS]

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 16 July 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

I posted thoughts on the Update 5.1 thread and was instantly reminded how pointless that was when I opened this thread. Feedback from the NA server is not even read never mind considered. If any WG employee wishes for feedback from me they can message me and I will thoughtfully reply with musings from a decent player that plays a diverse garage and has spent oodles of money. 

​Max is reading this thread

Edited by Zuke76, 16 July 2018 - 02:33 PM.

yl1de #11 Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 36188 battles
  • [1S0B]

Stat based tutorial/videos with reward.

If after X number of games the player is missing Y number of shots, then present tutorial about aiming.  Reward:  Credits. 

If after X number of games the player is spotting too much and dying early, then present a tutorial about using camo/ cover.  Reward: Cool camo. 

If after X number of games the player has a low damage ratio, then present a tutorial about use of terrain, hard cover, ridges or armor angles. Reward: Something good.

WG collects so much data you could easily pinpoint where a player needs help and present it to them in a simple fun video with a good reward.  This would be better and easier than reworking the lower tiers.  It would also provide better players long term.

ahredstealth #12 Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19013 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostMaXSty1er, on 16 July 2018 - 06:31 AM, said:

•  If you have any suggestions on how to improve their performance, we’ll be glad to hear you.

• Our goal is to make them comfortable, without huge gap between tiers with different amount of equipment. Low-level premium tanks will be rebalanced to fit in the new gameplay properly, without losing their fun or strengths.

Balance adjustments will cover vast majority of vehicles. In order to tune them properly, we need your help. The OpenTest registration has started, and its main goal is to check new specs of low-level researchable and premium tanks. Such adjustment is very time-consuming and will take several updates for the whole system to get settled. The more profound testing and your feedback will be, the faster results will come.

Please keep in mind that OT balance is not finalized – depending on stats gathered and your feedback, further tuning will be performed. Test accounts contain only tier I–VI tanks.

Ha ha ha ha.  Best Joke I've ever seen from a WarGaming Representative.

You know you posted this on the NA server, right?

Do you have a special trash bin you throw any feed back from us in?  I mean, not that it matters, I'm just curious.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

Honestly, what I expect from all of this is to have a few random tanks nerf'd and turned into premiums, my low level premiums nerf'd, and possibly have equipment removed and sold back to me yet again.  It's okay though, we're use to it.

Good luck getting more "feedback" that you can ignore, pitch out, and only look at when the RU forums wants to discuss things with the developers.  I hope it goes well for you!

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

Ookla_the_Mok #13 Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:33 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 26979 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View PostZuke76, on 16 July 2018 - 08:33 AM, said:

​Max is reading this thread

Your account is more than a year old so you should know better by now.

[BRSKT] wants to put moist, succulent meat in your mouth.

Zuke76 #14 Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13616 battles
  • [O_OPS]

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 16 July 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

Your account is more than a year old so you should know better by now.

lol, i still have faith

__Crusader6__ #15 Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 52429 battles
  • [III]

While I think the goal of this is noble, I think the implementation is flawed. 

The goal should be to educate the player base in low tiers. 

Stripping modules and tanks out of those tiers doesn’t do that 

A graded and segmented tutorial should be implemented. 

Starting players get a tutorial of how to aim and shoot, and drive. 

Just the basics. 

One should not get into tier 2 out of the tutorial/mandated path which happens now. 

Heck you couldn’t put certain things on a tier 1/2 tank until you had finished it. 

All it taught was consumables/provisions/equipment where not needed.

Major fail.  

After the first step (battle) of the tutorial (shoot/move) , the player should then still be in a tier 1 tank. 

The next phase needed to show what equipment and consumables do: 

It shouldn’t take more than 5 min to gloss over that - and into another training battle with bots.  

Same sort of battle scenario- but with a fully kitted out tank.  

Then place the player in a standard tier 1 battle.

When the player unlocks a tier 2 vehicle -- the next phase of the tutorial kicks in.

Etc.

Explain all the game play mechanics before tier 5.   

Armor / Effective Armor

Hulldown, SideScrapping

Gun Depression 

Spotting/Camo/Resetting Camo

Add a segment on RNG, and explain MM.

Edited by __Crusader6__, 16 July 2018 - 03:48 PM.

Tank Hoarder: 335 tanks in Garage:  338/338 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo)wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner

WANTED: Less IS Spam, I hate ISHoles 

p30_1 #16 Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 30508 battles
Lol wg trying to fix the suck. The suck is real and cannot be fixed. Try fixing other stuff that needs to be fixed cause this isnt gonna work.

SIR_KillsAlot200 #17 Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15278 battles
  • [CRUEL]
This is stupid

Bellatormonk #18 Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19044 battles
  • [MASHU]
As stated by others stripping Consumables/Module slots isn't helping anyone, especially new players who actually need those to even compete with Seal Clubbers.  I think Education is the only thing that might help and a large part needs to spent talking about the importance of Crew Skills, Crew Experience and the synergy of these things that basically the RNG system runs off.  I mean seriously, the core of the game is based on Crew Skills/RNG.  After that, player skill, tank, modules, consumables, etc. 

Want to smile or laugh for the day, maybe even shoot coffee out your nose?  Click it...

https://imgur.com/a/nPWlNzw

__Crusader6__ #19 Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:11 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 52429 battles
  • [III]

View PostBellatormonk, on 16 July 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

As stated by others stripping Consumables/Module slots isn't helping anyone, especially new players who actually need those to even compete with Seal Clubbers.  I think Education is the only thing that might help and a large part needs to spent talking about the importance of Crew Skills, Crew Experience and the synergy of these things that basically the RNG system runs off.  I mean seriously, the core of the game is based on Crew Skills/RNG.  After that, player skill, tank, modules, consumables, etc. 

Your understanding of the importance of crew skills and weighting of RNG is utterly flawed.  

Player Skills are greater than anything else.  

This includes a fully understanding of game mechanics.  

Tank Hoarder: 335 tanks in Garage:  338/338 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo)wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner

WANTED: Less IS Spam, I hate ISHoles 

_AzorAhai #20 Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:12 PM

The IT guy

• Players
  • 35417 battles
  • [_STR8]

First off, if all you have to contribute is your limited vocabulary of cursing WG maybe you should go somewhere else. Despite popular opinion they are trying, and they do listen to people from NA. Unfortunately people like you who do nothing bunch rage and make the filter have a heart attack hurt any bit of feedback we try and give.

Second off, stop bashing the people that are trying to provide and support the developer. It doesn’t help at all. And just furthers the above statement.

Now if you can have a logical conversation and actively express your ideas with solutions that are plausible please continue to discuss.

View Post__Crusader6__, on 16 July 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

While I think the goal of this is noble, I think the implementation is flawed. 

The goal should be to educate the player base in low tiers. 

Stripping modules and tanks out of those tiers doesn’t do that 

A graded and segmented tutorial should be implemented. 

Starting players get a tutorial of how to aim and shoot, and drive. 

Just the basics. 

One should not get into tier 2 out of the tutorial/mandated path which happens now. 

Heck you couldn’t put certain things on a tier 1/2 tank until you had finished it. 

All it taught was consumables/provisions/equipment where not needed.

Major fail.  

After the first step (battle) of the tutorial (shoot/move) , the player should then still be in a tier 1 tank. 

The next phase needed to show what equipment and consumables do: 

It shouldn’t take more than 5 min to gloss over that - and into another training battle with bots.  

Same sort of battle scenario- but with a fully kitted out tank.  

Then place the player in a standard tier 1 battle.

When the player unlocks a tier 2 vehicle -- the next phase of the tutorial kicks in.

Etc.

Explain all the game play mechanics before tier 5.   

Armor / Effective Armor

Hulldown, SideScrapping

Gun Depression 

Spotting/Camo/Resetting Camo

Add a segment on RNG, and explain MM.

I also agree with this crusader, I feel a longer more in-depth stages tutorial would be more effective. But I also don’t think limiting the tanks available for lower tiers really hurts anything. The reader h speed is staying the same for all the lines, and if they do it right, the tanks should hold a similar play style up to tier 5. 

I still think from my personal discussion with Devs and what some of the CCs have talked about would also be a good implementation. Short tutorial videos explaining mechanics. Have it branch and unlock as they go. So they can progressively get better. And have it easily accessible in game. Maybe even a mission series tab that rewards them for learning a mechanic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users