new players help negativity chat Improving game experience

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

CommodoreHotDog #1 Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 65019 battles
  • [III-C]
I've been thinking about reducing the negativity in the game, and helping new players get better faster.  Here are a couple ideas: Sergeant's Medal (sergeants helping replacements) - platooning with a player with a 10% or greater lower win rate that your own.  You can accumulate medals to turn in for 100 Gold for 100 platoons.  This way you can reward better players for helping new players with game strategy.  I am thinking teaming with seasoned players would reduce frustration, keep players playing, reduce negativity.  Another idea is when you purchase a tank in the tank tree, you can watch a 1 minute video on the tanks strengths and weaknesses.    I would like to hear thoughts. 

SpartacusDiablo #2 Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:21 PM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 23731 battles
  • [III-R]
Problem.

Step 1.  Create a alt.
Step 2.  Intentionally lower alt win-rate.
Step 3.  Platoon with your alt for 100 games.
Step 4.  Profit.

Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.

cheasesteak #3 Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19749 battles
  • [COD-R]

View PostSpartacusDiablo, on 03 August 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Problem.

Step 1. Create a alt.
Step 2. Intentionally lower alt win-rate.
Step 3. Platoon with your alt for 100 games.
Step 4. Profit.

​It isn't a bad idea, but it would obviously need some constraints.  Limit the recipient to those with a minimum number of games and a minimum WR.  I highly doubt that good players with a significant number of games are going to tank their stats intentionally (minus trolls like OMK) over 100 gold. 

Overpriced Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

CommodoreHotDog #4 Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 65019 battles
  • [III-C]

maybe there is a reward that would compensate for win rate degradation.  maybe its 500 gold or a tank for 100 games.  Maybe the higher your stats the more you gain from helping.  There could be some reward I'm sure that could entice good players.  Of course Wargaming would have to think of it as a good deal.  Not everyone will like the terms I am sure.  Some will though.

BorisBaddenov #5 Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 24069 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View PostCommodoreHotDog, on 03 August 2018 - 06:11 AM, said:

I've been thinking about reducing the negativity in the game, and helping new players get better faster.  Here are a couple ideas: Sergeant's Medal (sergeants helping replacements) - platooning with a player with a 10% or greater lower win rate that your own.  You can accumulate medals to turn in for 100 Gold for 100 platoons.  This way you can reward better players for helping new players with game strategy.  I am thinking teaming with seasoned players would reduce frustration, keep players playing, reduce negativity.  Another idea is when you purchase a tank in the tank tree, you can watch a 1 minute video on the tanks strengths and weaknesses.    I would like to hear thoughts. 

There are plenty of folks here on the forums who will gladly help a new player - -and we will do it for free!

Motivating experienced players to help other learn is not the problem.  The problem is, very specifically - the lack of "give a care" expressed by the majority of the players.   Any - and I do mean any - idea that attempts to address player improvement absolutely must have a way to motivate new players to increase their "give a care".   Anything short of that will just fail.

Peace-

Boris

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

patton_got_u #6 Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:15 PM

Private

• Players
  • 23340 battles
  • [FOXX]

The game should have a way to separate skilled players from the starters and should have a system to gradually allow a new player to make progress in the game based on his skill improvement and not on the number of games played or money paid.

The game has its own economics part so this might be deployed easier at lower levels. The mm should match at tier 2 in a game only players with about the same level of experience. It's ok if some players want to play only low levels but then they should be matched with similar players, and subsequently, their wr will drop while the time to battle might increase so much. This will make the sealclubbers species disappear.

When new players start they don't even know the controls and they don't understand that tanks with the same name in the game can be vastly different based on modules installed, provisions, and crew skill.

Edited by patton_got_u, 03 August 2018 - 05:18 PM.

mpastor2000 #7 Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:45 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 36568 battles
  • [EMP-]
Tier Win rate and national flag should be posted next to player name.  It should be color coded.   Then, when some 11yr says "town" instantly and someone replies "that is asinine"  you wont have to guess who is giving the more experienced advice.

Icefang50 #8 Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

Endeavor to Persevere

• Players
  • 34636 battles
  • [-MAX-]

View Postmpastor2000, on 03 August 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

Tier Win rate and national flag should be posted next to player name.  It should be color coded.   Then, when some 11yr says "town" instantly and someone replies "that is asinine"  you wont have to guess who is giving the more experienced advice.

“town” was clue #1... using “asinine” as a rebuttal would be clue #2 as to who is the more mature player. 

Tangntonic1 #9 Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:07 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1693 battles

As a still quite new player, it's been a challenge to learn all the nuances of gameplay and tank handling. On top of that is how to play aggressively and also what defensive measures to take for each tank.

When I started, April of 2017, it was under the old set up for equipment. That was utterly confusing. Then came along 3.8 a few weeks later  and everything I was starting to learn was kaput. 

Now 15 months later it's all changing again. Makes it tough to learn the proper load outs when they keep changing it up.

Making it easier for beginners can help greatly, and I'm not talking about dumbing it down, looking for better instructions, better explanations of what each feature does and how it can help/hurt in gameplay.

Case in point, I've read all I can about tank suspensions, and I have no clue what any of that does for me with all the different tanks there are.

I've read the wiki info, and it doesn't really explain how those things come into play during a battle. I mean what does this really teach me? How do I utilize this info?

Suspension Characteristics

Load Limit - Load limit is the amount of weight the tracks can support, measured in tons. 

Hull Traverse Speed - The rate at which the vehicle turns is called the traverse speed, whether it is or is not a pivot turn (around its central axis). Traverse speed is measured in degrees per second.

But as Boris mentioned, there have been many players who've been exceptionally kind and have advised me on different things.

My next hope it to get some one-on-one in a Tr. Room with an experienced player

to learn better the side scraping and hull down techniques. I understand the concept from watching the videos, but a critical eye is always the best teacher.

All those things plus gunnery, camo, crew skills, it's much to learn and the hardest but best lesson was to wait and take it slow. Jumping into that Tr8 Panther early on was stupid. So it sits.

The game is changing again, so I'll have more new stuff to learn. Please continue with the good forum discussions for us beginners. 

Thanks

BorisBaddenov #10 Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 24069 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View PostTangntonic1, on 03 August 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

As a still quite new player, it's been a challenge to learn all the nuances of gameplay and tank handling. On top of that is how to play aggressively and also what defensive measures to take for each tank.

When I started, April of 2017, it was under the old set up for equipment. That was utterly confusing. Then came along 3.8 a few weeks later  and everything I was starting to learn was kaput. 

Now 15 months later it's all changing again. Makes it tough to learn the proper load outs when they keep changing it up.

Making it easier for beginners can help greatly, and I'm not talking about dumbing it down, looking for better instructions, better explanations of what each feature does and how it can help/hurt in gameplay.

Case in point, I've read all I can about tank suspensions, and I have no clue what any of that does for me with all the different tanks there are.

I've read the wiki info, and it doesn't really explain how those things come into play during a battle. I mean what does this really teach me? How do I utilize this info?

Suspension Characteristics

Load Limit - Load limit is the amount of weight the tracks can support, measured in tons. 

Hull Traverse Speed - The rate at which the vehicle turns is called the traverse speed, whether it is or is not a pivot turn (around its central axis). Traverse speed is measured in degrees per second.

But as Boris mentioned, there have been many players who've been exceptionally kind and have advised me on different things.

My next hope it to get some one-on-one in a Tr. Room with an experienced player

to learn better the side scraping and hull down techniques. I understand the concept from watching the videos, but a critical eye is always the best teacher.

All those things plus gunnery, camo, crew skills, it's much to learn and the hardest but best lesson was to wait and take it slow. Jumping into that Tr8 Panther early on was stupid. So it sits.

The game is changing again, so I'll have more new stuff to learn. Please continue with the good forum discussions for us beginners. 

Thanks

Do this while on Discord.   The teacher can take screenshots and send them to the student.   Ammo did this for me when I was struggling with 'hull down'.  I would get into a 'hull down' position - Ammo would send me a screenshot.  And that screenie would show my entire hull.   LOL  

I've not tried  TR since replays were introduced.  But if they work there, then the teacher and student can swap replay files - and each wach the lesson from the perspective of the other. I would think that much useful dialog would ensue.

Peace-

Boris

Edited by BorisBaddenov, 03 August 2018 - 06:17 PM.

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

GentleNova #11 Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26720 battles
  • [SRT-A]

View Postmpastor2000, on 03 August 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

Actually I’ve read research on how children learn from their parents, often watching what they do to learn. In complex work environments, this is also how new people learn from veterans. It allows a person to pick up tacit knowledge which is knowledge that is often very difficult to describe in words, so you have to watch the other person closely to pick up these nuanced or intricate aspects of the work. 

Of course this all works because the new person knows who the veteran person is. In our case, any new person to the game has no idea who to listen to or who to watch and learn from in game because there is no indicator who a veteran person is.

So the irony here is that mixing people of different skill levels is optimal for learning, something which the game does right now. But it doesn’t work because there is no way to tell who the veteran players are.

Even worse, Wargaming believes that displaying high WR players (at least just on your own team) is a bad thing. So Wargaming is effectively impeding the possibility of making the game way better and helping noobs learn faster (something they say they want) because of a belief that they believe is right but is actually inaccurate and very limited. 

Derpomagix #12 Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 21047 battles
  • [SEMPF]

For people to improve, they must want to improve.

Most of the playerbase just tells you to fk off when you offer advice. Fact of the matter is, you can't help stupid.

Plus, I don't need a platoon on my team where a 40%er invites his 25%er friend.

Derpomagix (formerly PlaneCrazy01)

If you have less than 5000 battles, it is NOT COOL to have a tier 10. Having a Tier 10 does not make you good. If you think you're good, you probably aren't.

"To improve is to change. To be perfect is to change often." - Winston Churchill, when addressing a large crowd of noobs and TD drivers.

"Boom! One day your tank goes boom! Boom! BOOM!!!!" - Thompson and Thomson

GoGuard18 #13 Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1632 battles
  • [FOX7]
I have learned a ton just by lurking around here. My stats is the past month have been going up. 

Tangntonic1 #14 Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:42 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1693 battles

View PostDerpomagix, on 03 August 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

For people to improve, they must want to improve.

Most of the playerbase just tells you to fk off when you offer advice. Fact of the matter is, you can't help stupid.

Plus, I don't need a platoon on my team where a 40%er invites his 25%er friend.

View PostGoGuard18, on 03 August 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

I have learned a ton just by lurking around here. My stats is the past month have been going up. 

I agree. For the first 12 months or so I'd just read stuff and observe and absorb whatever I could. Wouldn't dare make any comments for fear of being ridiculed, attacked, whatever. 

Now I've learned they're are some great players who will share and actually want to help us noobs. So now I speak up and ask for help. AND, it's been working. 

Dan_Deerso #15 Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:22 AM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 24956 battles
  • [III]

Actually, that's not a half bad idea to give a bit more incentive to tutoring new players. There's sure to be abusers, but the low value of the reward would make it too tedious to truly break the game with. If you played a thousand games with a scrub, that's only a thousand gold, and to get a tier 8 premium would take literal days worth of raw in-game time. Of course, people abused training room ammo glitches, tutorial gold mixing with the gifting feature, etc. so honestly I'm not too concerned about that.

CommodoreHotDog #16 Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:37 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 65019 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 04 August 2018 - 01:22 AM, said:

Actually, that's not a half bad idea to give a bit more incentive to tutoring new players. There's sure to be abusers, but the low value of the reward would make it too tedious to truly break the game with. If you played a thousand games with a scrub, that's only a thousand gold, and to get a tier 8 premium would take literal days worth of raw in-game time. Of course, people abused training room ammo glitches, tutorial gold mixing with the gifting feature, etc. so honestly I'm not too concerned about that.

Ahh, you're right Dan.  After you mentioned this, I thought of a hundred ways to game the system.  Maybe there is no gold reward other than just a medal with a number on it.  At least there is recognition.  Who would start a fake account and go through the trouble to just get a number on the Sergeat Award.  And for those who are happy helping a new guy at least there is a little recognition.  Training room is another way to learn like Boris described above.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users