noob dont go town know your role

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Herbie_N124 #1 Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:45 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9951 battles
  • [TS2]

OK, so to carry over from the relatively dead "stories from the other side" thread - 

Question following some post-match rage the other night.    I was driving my Löwe grinding some credits, two other IS-something on the team, the rest are med/light, set at Black Goldville.  

Team goes caves, I follow, while IS-somethings lurch into own.   By the time I get to the 1st ridge overlooking town, the  7 reds light up in town.   I have a good fighting position on the ridge and good shots popping up constantly.   It's like a shooting gallery, and the whole "this is why you don't go town" thing makes perfect sense in this moment.   IS-holes die almost instantly, spam chat with rage.   IS-3 fired 5 shots and died with 1600 dmg.  Green starts charging town one at a time until i'm the last guy left, getting caked with the chat salt.   Red finally focuses on me and I'm out with a loss at just under 4,000 damage.   

Post-game chat follows, I'm told I'm not following the role of heavy and screwed up the whole team's dynamics.  I check him out to find he's got 36,000 battles, just cracked 50% wr.  
The whole scenario is similar to the Falls Creek match I posted about, however I was chewing up heavies by the bridge at a distance with my medium on that one. 

Should I have gone town/factory at this one since I was heavy?    I didn't intentionally take up position to play a TD role and snipe in a heavy, nor was I hugging the red line.   

Should I listen to someone with 6x more battles than I that's at 50.7% wr, or is this a GFY moment?  

What are some basic hill/town guidelines?   Towns always seems like a knife fight in a phone booth, I'm not a fan.   

It's a game, not a d!ck.   Don't take it so hard.  

Jonny_applesauce #2 Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:51 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8953 battles
  • [CLEAR]

Nope, you did the right thing, the two guys who went by themselves and the meds who yoloed one at a time into town did the wrong thing.

You played your tank exactly according to its strengths and were rewarded with a high damage game even though your team let you down.

Never listen to the 2 guys who decided trying to fight a 2v7 was a good idea, they can't do basic math (2<7) so how do you expect them to be able to analyze a tank's stats and play accordingly. The best thing is that they think if it was a 3v7 instead of 2v7 they would have won or something

WoT blitz is better than WoT PC imho because no arty and +/- 1 mm.

Jonny Applesauce

BorisBaddenov #3 Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:51 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 22892 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View PostHerbie_N124, on 22 August 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

OK, so to carry over from the relatively dead "stories from the other side" thread - 

Question following some post-match rage the other night.    I was driving my Löwe grinding some credits, two other IS-something on the team, the rest are med/light, set at Black Goldville.  

Team goes caves, I follow, while IS-somethings lurch into own.   By the time I get to the 1st ridge overlooking town, the  7 reds light up in town.   I have a good fighting position on the ridge and good shots popping up constantly.   It's like a shooting gallery, and the whole "this is why you don't go town" thing makes perfect sense in this moment.   IS-holes die almost instantly, spam chat with rage.   IS-3 fired 5 shots and died with 1600 dmg.  Green starts charging town one at a time until i'm the last guy left, getting caked with the chat salt.   Red finally focuses on me and I'm out with a loss at just under 4,000 damage.   

Post-game chat follows, I'm told I'm not following the role of heavy and screwed up the whole team's dynamics.  I check him out to find he's got 36,000 battles, just cracked 50% wr.  
The whole scenario is similar to the Falls Creek match I posted about, however I was chewing up heavies by the bridge at a distance with my medium on that one. 

Should I have gone town/factory at this one since I was heavy?    I didn't intentionally take up position to play a TD role and snipe in a heavy, nor was I hugging the red line.   

Should I listen to someone with 6x more battles than I that's at 50.7% wr, or is this a GFY moment?  

What are some basic hill/town guidelines?   Towns always seems like a knife fight in a phone booth, I'm not a fan.   

I try very hard to never go town.   Did you or anyone make a direction call at the start?  If not, you may want to consider making a call yourself.

Peace-

Boris

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

Fu_Manchu_ #4 Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11285 battles
  • [CLEAR]

If you had gone town with them, then you likely would have died very quickly and the whole battle would have been over sooner.

He is wrong that you should have gone town. IMO, Black Goldville is a never go town map. Even in supremacy, I believe you should avoid town.

When red goes town, one of the keys to victory is convincing your teammates not to rush in once red gets spotted. Unfortunately, this means you have to take time to communicate with your team, instead of shooting red tanks, and it requires your team to actually understand and agree.

IMO, in pub battles, a split team is never a good thing unless it's on a map where the two groups can support each other. That is not the case with a town/caves split on Black Goldville.

CLEAR/CLE4R family discord: https://discord.gg/Dh8KfXz

My second (formerly phone-only, now shameless re-roll) account is HanYolo_.

Find me on discord: Fu_Manchu_ [CLEAR]#6222

Fu_Manchu_ #5 Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11285 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 22 August 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

I try very hard to never go town.   Did you or anyone make a direction call at the start?  If not, you may want to consider making a call yourself.

Peace-

Boris

I agree with this. I make a call in almost every battle. When I don't, it's usually because there is another high level player on green and I will sometimes ask them to make the call, especially if it's a high level platoon.

IMO, every battle should have a call. Even the wrong call is better than no call, if it keeps the team together as a group. 7 tanks in town is better than 2 or 3 in town and 4 or 5 in the hills/caves/dunes.

__The_Dude_30__ #6 Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:56 PM

The Dude of Dudes

• Players
  • 20124 battles
  • [CRU2L]
Usually town is bad. You did the right thing. These guys do stupid stuff and yolo into town. They then expect you to follow and die with them, or in their words, “help,” them. If you do not, they then rage at you for not, “helping,” them. In general you should never rush into a town when the red team is in it. Keep your advantageous position and let the red team make the mistake of exposing themselves. Don’t let the salt get to you, there’s lots of it.

Signature by SpartacusDiablo   The king of signatures                                                                                                                       CRU2L Deputy. CRUEL/CRU2L discord: https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

o7 RatchetGod, R.I.P.

milesonaught #7 Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

Uncle Salty

• Players
  • 16953 battles
  • [-1]
Ping the map back at your spawn in this case and spam HOLD POSITION. Someone might understand to come back and setup there, and you absolutely did the right thing. 

I don't go town and I won't go down so WarGaming is just ******* with me when they built a town on a hill.

BLACK is the new PURPLE

Jonny_applesauce #8 Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8953 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 22 August 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

You may want to consider making a call yourself.

More often than you'd think this actually affects ppl and helps them leave span after only 10 seconds of turret spinning as opposed to 3 minutes of it.

Of course there is the occasional moron who deliberately goes opposite the call but this is WoTB so you should be used to it

Jonny Applesauce

___ez_e___ #9 Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 59871 battles
  • [FUZY]

Idk - I used to only think caves on Black Goldville, but I’ve found it successful to go to town (the back) when you are heavies.   

milesonaught #10 Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:08 PM

Uncle Salty

• Players
  • 16953 battles
  • [-1]

View Post___ez_e___, on 22 August 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

Idk - I used to only think caves on Black Goldville, but I’ve found it successful to go to town (the back) when you are heavies.   

We should not be saying this, but you are not wrong.

I don't go town and I won't go down so WarGaming is just ******* with me when they built a town on a hill.

BLACK is the new PURPLE

4sfield #11 Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

Space Lord

• Players
  • 31503 battles
  • [-1]

You played it right.

A split team at Blackgoldville is an autoloss most of the time unless both teams do it. The 2 heavies were stupid and the loss was their fault as far as I’m concerned. The guys on your team that piecemealed to town weren’t any smarter. Your best chance to win after the heavies died was to abuse the bushes and cover in the center section of the map while trying to pick up spots on red tanks looking to cap or flank. 

Heavy drivers for the most part are stupid because most of them haven’t learned anything. Players like that go to town because they don’t have any skills and it’s the best place for them to extend their time in game. If those guys were playing medium or light tanks, they would have done the same thing or played from the back the whole game.

Having no clue means they have no sense of responsibility to the team. A lot of guys play that way now and it can be frustrating. I can understand why it made you mad enough to post about it. 

I would have been upset too but I wouldn’t have responded to any red [edited] remarks in that one. Those guys weren’t worth your time.

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

FREE _stealy!!!

Jonny_applesauce #12 Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8953 battles
  • [CLEAR]

People here saying town is always bad aren't necessarily right - for instance I will call town if I see that we have a serious advantage in heavies and the red team has a couple, but lower tier and/or not as many. When I see that and I am a medium I try to lead a charge through the town with my heavies behind me, hoping to catch the red heavies isolated and burn them down early.

The other circumstance is if 5 or 6 of your teammates are going town despite what you called, if that happens better to go town with them than be isolated and killed by a wolfpack of enemy mediums

Jonny Applesauce

__Crusader6__ #13 Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 57959 battles
  • [III-R]

Town is for Targets, dont be 1 

Going to Town allows reds to have both the high ground as well as mobility and cap control. 

They can then get angles to setup cross fire on you.   

Yes the rear of town has cover - but requires a stupid team to advance on them one at a time.  

Edited by __Crusader6__, 22 August 2018 - 04:27 PM.

Tank Hoarder: 360 tanks in Garage:  364/366 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo),    wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner
I think 5.5 was good for the game - But I also want my Kenny OP nerfed

milesonaught #14 Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

Uncle Salty

• Players
  • 16953 battles
  • [-1]

There is something we never talk about. It's how to go town.. or how to go any area.. or how one should respond to or use the map ping.

Lights should never drive into town.. meds should never roll with the hvys if you are going town. The big problem is it takes experienced players to know how to deal with complexity, and I bet your random pubs are not experienced enough to make that call work for them. They will most likely run the lights and meds way up in an alley and die all over each other instead of skirting the area to get flanked shots.

On BGV, I still want the meds and lights to flank if I decide with my toon mate that we can take on whatever hvys reds have. There are a couple places where you can get hull down and take on twice as many as you have with a decent chance of winning.. or, you become the flank. Becoming the flank in a hvy on BGV is ok. 

Still.. never go town. 

BLACK is the new PURPLE

Fu_Manchu_ #15 Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11285 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostJonny_applesauce, on 22 August 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

People here saying town is always bad aren't necessarily right - for instance I will call town if I see that we have a serious advantage in heavies and the red team has a couple, but lower tier and/or not as many. When I see that and I am a medium I try to lead a charge through the town with my heavies behind me, hoping to catch the red heavies isolated and burn them down early.

The other circumstance is if 5 or 6 of your teammates are going town despite what you called, if that happens better to go town with them than be isolated and killed by a wolfpack of enemy mediums

The problem with your first paragraph is that if red plays smart and goes to the caves side, then they can pick you apart from the bushes and hills on that side.

I agree with the last part though. If my team goes town, then I go town with them.

boppinbobby #16 Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 48908 battles
  • [HJG2]

you only need 1 medium who remains unspotted at your spawn picking of targets from the rear in the built up area (it ain't a town) to lose. most fast heavies that rush there aren't even heavies so they can't make use of the terrain. 

a team of maus' may be able to defend it but not much else. 

Edited by boppinbobby, 22 August 2018 - 04:55 PM.

Big Gunz and Ammo Rackz.

HJG2; Hughmons are People too.

cheasesteak #17 Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19257 battles
  • [COD-R]

View Post___ez_e___, on 22 August 2018 - 04:07 PM, said:

​Caves may not always be right, but town is always wrong. 

Overpriced Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

Jonny_applesauce #18 Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:57 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8953 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostFu_Manchu_, on 22 August 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

The problem with your first paragraph is that if red plays smart and goes to the caves side, then they can pick you apart from the bushes and hills on that side.

I agree with the last part though. If my team goes town, then I go town with them.

well that's the gamble - I only do it if I think the red heavies are going to be slow enough to where I can catch them fast and then I play insanely aggressively straight through the middle which obviously sometimes doesn't work out.

I'd say I pull it off most of the time I try it though

Jonny Applesauce

tankeatingtiger #19 Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

Luvs His Hellkitty

• Players
  • 17356 battles
  • [-VB-]

View Post__Crusader6__, on 22 August 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

Town is for Targets, dont be 1

Going to Town allows reds to have both the high ground as well as mobility and cap control. 

They can then get angles to setup cross fire on you.  

This I think is the main basis of the “Don’t go town” cry, and rightly so. If you give, say, a Dragon, free range out in the middle area, he will shred your meds first and then proceed to pick you apart piecemeal with full confidence because you cannot see him, much less hit him. Seems to be the same on most other town maps.

YouTube Channel: 

https://www.youtube....tankeatingtiger

"All you peasants be silent and allow the ruling class to dictate. Is better."

-Joseph Stalin Blartch

4sfield #20 Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:13 PM

Space Lord

• Players
  • 31503 battles
  • [-1]

View Posttankeatingtiger, on 22 August 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

This I think is the main basis of the “Don’t go town” cry, and rightly so. If you give, say, a Dragon, free range out in the middle area, he will shred your meds first and then proceed to pick you apart piecemeal with full confidence because you cannot see him, much less hit him. Seems to be the same on most other town maps.

That dragon in the bushes is the reason I don’t understand why guys want to go town. Town is faux security, it has nothing going for it outside of hard cover. If you spend more time behind hard cover than you do shooting you’re not doing anything to help your team win and if your mediums and lights are in there with you they can’t play to their strengths. Town is just a trading battle, why leave the outcome of the game up to RNG?

Town pretty much anywhere is where nubs go to be useless and die. I’d rather have them camping a ridge than going there. At least they might be able to see a target, get a couple shots off and actually do some damage. 

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

FREE _stealy!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users