How to Play KV4

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

5150NinjaWJ #1 Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:28 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10480 battles
I'm struggling with this tank. I haven't unlocked the 107mm gun yet and I am having a difficult time penetrating tier 9 tanks with the 122. May someone please give me some tips on how to use this tank?

Posit1ve_ #2 Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:49 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 48563 battles
  • [_V_]

Well, first off, you're really going to want the 107, since 175mm AP pen on the 122 is really lackluster. If you're going to use the 122, you'll have to load some APCR. 

As for the actual playstyle, KV-4 basically functions somewhat like a tier 8 Maus. It's got a giant HP pool, weak turret cheeks, and a ton of side armor. Sidescraping is an obvious strength, but I would go onto armor inspector and get a feel for the ideal angling for the KV-4; it's actually a lot wider of an angle than you'd think. Also, you should look for things that you can hide your lower plate with, and when in a fight, try to limit your movement. The gun handling on the KV-4 is pretty horrific, so sudden movements will cause the aim to bloom out and due to the weakish turret, you'd prefer to minimize the amount of time you spend aiming.

Edited by Posit1ve_, 30 August 2018 - 09:49 PM.

301 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

Give_Anna_An_Alt #3 Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:28 AM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Players
  • 28916 battles
  • [MSELF]
I used the Stock 107mm until I had the top 107. It's a lot more forgiving in accuracy, and reload time. It still requires a decent amount of Prammo but it's a better beginning choice.

Edited by 40_Percent_Trash, 31 August 2018 - 01:28 AM.

I_Maverick_I #4 Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:45 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 21268 battles
  • [_V2_]
Free xp bro. Not even gonna lie, I turned on free xp boosters for a month and grinded 150k free xp so I'd skip the trash that is the KV-4. 

(Credits to SparticusDiablo for the signature)
Get to know me on Discord: Maverick#3656
Join this Discord server while you're at it: 
sR2X6Hp

Jonny_applesauce #5 Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:14 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8953 battles
  • [CLEAR]

I love my KV4, the key to it is to get shot in your side armor more than your front - the lower plate is weaker than the sides - I angle it at 45 degrees and then wiggle between 40 and 50, thing bounces shots like there's no tomorrow.

Also you shouldn't judge it until you get the 107, dpm might not be the best but it has great pen and good accuracy for a Russian heavy, it's a very reliable gun if not very flashy.

I have a 60% winrate, 2071 DPB, and 3.2 K WN8 in it after 35 games despite having a stretch where I was top damage on my team in a loss 8 times in a row. (hence the sub-par for me winrate)

Also if something is below you ram it - you can ram for over 800 damage on some light tanks if you get some speed on a hill.

WoT blitz is better than WoT PC imho because no arty and +/- 1 mm.

Jonny Applesauce

lp_lima #6 Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:40 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 25144 battles
  • [RUSE]
Guys, seriously, how do you deal with that pile of trash that is the KV4's turret? I mean, cmon, anything with 200mm can penetrate it, either the stock or the top one, with easy. I mean, a guy said it was like a Maus - not at all, since, in a Maus, once you angle your turret, you are bunker. With kv4, the turret design is so cancer than, once you angle the front, the side is SCREAMING "pen me all day long". How to handle that POS turret, and how to use this tank when your team doesn't go town? At any place with slight hills, the tanks seems rather useless, since it is HUGE, impossible to hide, and can't at all go hull down because that is the second worst tier 8 heavy turret, second only to the french AMX (yeah, Tiger 2 turret is far more reliable in my opinion)

TO_Dominator #7 Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8817 battles
  • [YODA_]

View Postlp_lima, on 09 October 2018 - 04:40 AM, said:

Guys, seriously, how do you deal with that pile of trash that is the KV4's turret? I mean, cmon, anything with 200mm can penetrate it, either the stock or the top one, with easy. I mean, a guy said it was like a Maus - not at all, since, in a Maus, once you angle your turret, you are bunker. With kv4, the turret design is so cancer than, once you angle the front, the side is SCREAMING "pen me all day long". How to handle that POS turret, and how to use this tank when your team doesn't go town? At any place with slight hills, the tanks seems rather useless, since it is HUGE, impossible to hide, and can't at all go hull down because that is the second worst tier 8 heavy turret, second only to the french AMX (yeah, Tiger 2 turret is far more reliable in my opinion)

Angling. Are you stock? If so, then wait till you are top. The top turret is roughly as strong as the hull

Or you could just play it stock like me to save time on exp.

Edited by TO_Dominator, 09 October 2018 - 12:34 PM.

"Blitz" can't exist within a world of TDs.

tankist22 #8 Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:25 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 37102 battles
  • [TNK22]

Once you get all the upgrades, test guns and see what works for you the best. I ended up with the big one, not the 107.

Here are my few videos on KV-4:

https://www.youtube....BFEjLvbyn7JzkIE

Bouncing reds' shots: Keep an eye on whenever you bounce a shot. That'll help you bounce it next time on your will, not a chance. Over the time, with each tank, you actually learn how to control the direction of your play, including bounces that push reds to make more mistakes or run away from you. Then you find it funny at times.

:)

Edited by tankist22, 10 October 2018 - 05:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users