Jump to content


@Ribblestripe: Suggestion Regarding Mods

mods

  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

RommelTanker #21 Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:56 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 2024 battles
  • 2,319
  • [_DX2_]
  • Member since:
    09-03-2017

View Posttrogvision, on 28 September 2018 - 08:25 AM, said:

If WG would update the gun firing sounds, I wouldn't want mods to begin with. The 75mm's remind me of a golf course. 

 

It sounds like someone blowing through a straw personally. The casing ejection when in sniper mode is fine but the actual firing sounds like a straw being blown through.

player_1234567890 #22 Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:57 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 30271 battles
  • 4,263
  • [OMK]
  • Member since:
    05-09-2015

View Posttrogvision, on 28 September 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

 

The sound mattered enough that WG updated the loading music.

 

I actually preferred the old music, but that's a matter of opinion I suppose.:justwait:

trogvision #23 Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:15 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 15761 battles
  • 810
  • [ATO]
  • Member since:
    05-24-2013

View PostRommelTanker, on 28 September 2018 - 05:56 PM, said:

 

It sounds like someone blowing through a straw personally. The casing ejection when in sniper mode is fine but the actual firing sounds like a straw being blown through.

 

The 37mm's sound like a straw being blown through. The 75mm's sound like a golf ball being struck by a club to me. The 90mm's and 120mm's sound fine. The giganto guns don't sound menacing enough.

Edited by trogvision, 28 September 2018 - 06:17 PM.

Nobody likes AFK'ers.

player_1234567890 #24 Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:21 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 30271 battles
  • 4,263
  • [OMK]
  • Member since:
    05-09-2015

View Posttrogvision, on 28 September 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

 

The 37mm's sound like a straw being blown through. The 75mm's sound like a golf ball being struck by a club to me. The 90mm's and 120mm's sound fine. The giganto guns don't sound menacing enough.

 

I agree that the in game sounds could use an update. They've been the same since the beginning.:playing:

 

New sounds would be a more important and welcome change than new music, imo. It would also give the game a new vibe, since sound is important and it would give the game a small refresh.

 

They could just steal some sounds from WOT and use some of those I guess.

 

How long would it take them to change out some of the in game sounds and replace them with newer, better, beefier sounds? A half an hour? It's a simple job.:justwait:



RommelTanker #25 Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:36 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 2024 battles
  • 2,319
  • [_DX2_]
  • Member since:
    09-03-2017

View Postplayer_1234567890, on 28 September 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

 

I agree that the in game sounds could use an update. They've been the same since the beginning.:playing:

 

New sounds would be a more important and welcome change than new music, imo. It would also give the game a new vibe, since sound is important and it would give the game a small refresh.

 

They could just steal some sounds from WOT and use some of those I guess.

 

How long would it take them to change out some of the in game sounds and replace them with newer, better, beefier sounds? A half an hour? It's a simple job.:justwait:

 

It takes me less than 5 minutes to download a .zip file with the PC sounds and copy paste them into my game files.

 

WG already has all the resources to change the sounds. It's called borrowing a modder's .fsb files and overwriting the current sounds. They're just too lazy to actually do it.



player_1234567890 #26 Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:48 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 30271 battles
  • 4,263
  • [OMK]
  • Member since:
    05-09-2015

View PostRommelTanker, on 28 September 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

 

It takes me less than 5 minutes to download a .zip file with the PC sounds and copy paste them into my game files.

 

WG already has all the resources to change the sounds. It's called borrowing a modder's .fsb files and overwriting the current sounds. They're just too lazy to actually do it.

 

They could also borrow a technique from the music production world called round robin, if they wish to take their sounds to the next level.:playing:

 

This would make for more realistic sounds.

 

For example, when a tank fires 3 shots after another, then the game would not use the same exact sound for each firing. Each shot would be similar, but slightly different. The sounds for one tank would rotate, so that no two shots in a row used the same exact sound.

 

In the music production world and in sampling, that technique is often used with drum sounds to make them sound more realistic. Like if somebody were hitting a snare drum over and over again, you wouldn't want to use the exact same sample if you were going for realism, because it would sound robotic.:justwait:



RommelTanker #27 Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:55 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 2024 battles
  • 2,319
  • [_DX2_]
  • Member since:
    09-03-2017

View Postplayer_1234567890, on 28 September 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

 

They could also borrow a technique from the music production world called round robin, if they wish to take their sounds to the next level.:playing:

 

This would make for more realistic sounds.

 

For example, when a tank fires 3 shots after another, then the game would not use the same exact sound for each firing. Each shot would be similar, but slightly different. The sounds for one tank would rotate, so that no two shots in a row used the same exact sound.

 

In the music production world and in sampling, that technique is often used with drum sounds to make them sound more realistic. Like if somebody were hitting a snare drum over and over again, you wouldn't want to use the exact same sample if you were going for realism, because it would sound robotic.:justwait:

 

They do this with War Thunder. No shot sounds the same twice (unless RNG says so...)

 

Plus, the sounds are pretty glorious in terms of how they sound and feel.



RommelTanker #28 Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 2024 battles
  • 2,319
  • [_DX2_]
  • Member since:
    09-03-2017

View Posttrogvision, on 28 September 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

 

The 37mm's sound like a straw being blown through. The 75mm's sound like a golf ball being struck by a club to me. The 90mm's and 120mm's sound fine. The giganto guns don't sound menacing enough.

 

2:17 mark

Is this menacing enough for you?

BTW, that's just the German 150mm (there are only 2). There are other large caliber gun as well, including the 183mm L4 in the British tech tree and the 152mm M-10 and M-20 in the Soviet tech tree (among other weapons that are big as f*ck with gnarly firing sounds).


Edited by RommelTanker, 28 September 2018 - 08:27 PM.


player_1234567890 #29 Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:14 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 30271 battles
  • 4,263
  • [OMK]
  • Member since:
    05-09-2015

View PostRommelTanker, on 28 September 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

Is this menacing enough for you?

BTW, that's just the German 150mm (there are only 2). There are other large caliber gun as well, including the 183mm L4 in the British tech tree and the 152mm M-10 and M-20 in the Soviet tech tree (among other weapons that are big as f*ck with gnarly firing sounds).

 

I like how some of those are nice and real stereo sounding.:playing:

 

Blitz could use some stereo sounds too, in my humble opinion.:justwait:



RommelTanker #30 Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:29 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 2024 battles
  • 2,319
  • [_DX2_]
  • Member since:
    09-03-2017

View Postplayer_1234567890, on 28 September 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

 

I like how some of those are nice and real stereo sounding.:playing:

 

Blitz could use some stereo sounds too, in my humble opinion.:justwait:

 

Gaijin records the sounds for the coaxials in person with a semi-automatic version of the weapon (although it may be an actual reactivated military firearm; I'm not sure.) That's why a lot of them sound as good as they do. It's because they put dedication and effort into their product, unlike a certain other company we know of...

cough cough







Also tagged with mods

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users