• 9789 battles
  • [TYCHE]
Looking to chose my next Tier 9 med.  any advice on Cent 7/1 vs Leo PTA?  TIA

Modern_Neanderthal #2 Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:20 PM

Sedentary Nomad

• Players
  • 39724 battles
  • [BOWL]

It depends on your preferred style of play.

The PTA is basically a light tank, quick, good gun, no armor.

Cent 7/1 is typical British, decent armor, sluggish (for a British medium), high rate of fire gun.

I haven't played the Centurion 7/1 in years,I sold it after the grind because I really liked the Cromwell and Comet and the Centurion 7/1 didn't have the same pep -so I'm not really sure how it plays right now. 

I kept my Leo PTA and still like to play it.

Edited by Modern_Neanderthal, 28 September 2018 - 04:21 PM.

cheesehead247365 #3 Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:41 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9789 battles
  • [TYCHE]
I prefer the Brits because they have some armor.  I"m not great at avoiding shots.  I like the gun depression too.  the tier 8 Cent isn't fast, but the traverse gets you out of trouble fairly well.  thanks. 

boppinbobby #4 Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 46560 battles
  • [HJG2]
Even though the Cent isn't super fast it does have a torquey motor so it will power up hills without slowing down much 

Big Gunz and Ammo Rackz.

HJG2; Hughmons are People too.

NaDa_22 #5 Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:25 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 34388 battles
  • [_V2_]

First, make sure you can free xp the top gun. Playing either tank in stock will make you and your teammates rage. 

As for play style - they are pretty much opposite of one another. 

Cent 7.1. is a quintessential gun depression + strong turret combo medium. It is slow, the hull armor is weak, and the DPM is lackluster. So you don't want to brawl with it. Find ridgelines and crest them with maximum gun depression to shoot at targets. The tank has two top guns - I would highly recommend L7B - because HESH is what makes British mediums special. It will take some time to get used to know what you can pen with the HESH rounds, but once you figure it out, it's going to be a lot of fun, dealing 400+ damage to German heavies and other mediums and lights.

Leo PTA is more of flanker, utilizing its incredible speed and accurate gun. But it only comes with 6 degrees of gun depression. Both the turret and the hull armor are non-existent, which makes it unsuited for ridgeline fighting. Spot, snipe, and clean up low health targets at the end. Do not engage other tier 9/10 mediums 1-on-1, because they mostly likely have more armor and gun depressions. 

cheesehead247365 #6 Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9789 battles
  • [TYCHE]
Thanks NaDa.  Just checked the tech tree, 250K+ XP needed for top gun?  holy jesus what a rip off.  I only have 17k.  that sucks. 

Silent_Poppy #7 Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:15 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 39251 battles
  • [III-Z]
I just looked over your stats on Blitzstars.  Based on your win rate, damage ratio, and average damage you will struggle big time in either of those tanks.  The skills needed to do well in either one are developed at lower tiers.  You Comet stats and other tier 7 are mostly below average. Also it looks like you free xp'd up that line and other lines meaning you didn't learn the things like terrain use, armor angling, camo, etc to do well in those tanks and be an effective team member.  My advice is to save your silver and gold until you can bring up the stats on some tier 5-6 tanks with similar play styles to the PTA and Cent namely the Cromwell, etc.

Edited by Silent_Poppy, 28 September 2018 - 06:17 PM.

Important note:  Due to some issues with my kids who also play, as of August 2018 I play with in-game chat turned off.  Therefore, if I appear to ignore you in a game please don't be offended.

cheesehead247365 #8 Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:18 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9789 battles
  • [TYCHE]

View PostSilent_Poppy, on 28 September 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

I just looked over your stats on Blitzstars.  Based on your win rate, damage ratio, and average damage you will struggle big time in either of those tanks.  The skills needed to do well in either one are developed at lower tiers.  You Comet stats and other tier 7 are mostly below average. Also it looks like you free xp'd up that line and other lines meaning you didn't learn the things like terrain use, armor angling, camo, etc do do well.  I'd save my silver and gold until you can bring up the stats on some tier 5-6 tanks with similar play styles to the PTA and Cent namely the Cromwell, etc.

Thanks Poppy, but I"ll be the judge of what tanks I want to try to play. I'm way better in Centurion than I ever was in the Comet.  

Silent_Poppy #9 Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:20 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 39251 battles
  • [III-Z]

The epitome of arrogance. You asked for advice I gave it. 

Of course you can play whatever tanks you want. If you don't want advice then don't ask for it. 

And you might want to re-consider your understanding of the term "way better."  That's pretty descriptive and the difference between your Cent stats vs your Comet stats is BARELY discernible, for example .95 damage ratio in the Comet vs 1.01 is only .06 better.

Edited by Silent_Poppy, 28 September 2018 - 06:24 PM.

Important note:  Due to some issues with my kids who also play, as of August 2018 I play with in-game chat turned off.  Therefore, if I appear to ignore you in a game please don't be offended.

cheesehead247365 #10 Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:23 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9789 battles
  • [TYCHE]
epitome of nothing.  thanks for your advice.  I read it.  

_Duncan_Idaho_ #11 Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:29 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 35317 battles
  • [DUNE_]

The Cent 7/1 with the 20 pounder B barrel is a lot of fun. It's like you have a Cent 1 with much better armor, higher DPM and better pen, so you an actually do what you wanted the Cent 1 to do. It isn't as awesome as the HESH gun, but it has excellent accuracy and ROF so you can permatrack, out DPM other meds, target other specific modules, or sit there holding the front line in a hull down position.

What I would recommend is using free XP to get to the second gun (20 pounder B barrel) and get the better engine. Mobility is very challenged with the base engine.

Also, be prepared for a dramatic shift in playstyle at tier X. The FV4202 has a good front hull, but weak turret armor, but much better mobility than the Cent 7/1 so it's a totally different beast.

RommelTanker #12 Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 1991 battles
  • [_DX2_]

As others have said, it depends on your preference. I don't like British tanks as a whole (too sluggish and pop guns are the norm), but I adore my PT A. The main difference between the two is in the mobility and gun.

At Tier IX, the Centurion 7/1's armor is pretty terrible (at least the hull). Butttt the traverse is decent-ish and it has a high pen gun with HESH. The PT A trades off what non-existant armor the Centurion already had for a faster firing gun with the same penetration and a little more gun handling and a lot more mobility.

A good way to sum it up: Are you good at playing light tanks? If YES, play the PT A. Are you good at aiming your shots and using gun depression? If YES, play the 7/1.

Just, if you use the 7/1, don't get into direct gun fights with opposing Tier IXs. Chances are high that they'll shred you to ribbons (even the trash tier WZ-120) unless you can get 3-4 lucky HESH penetrations.

Oh yeah, and before I forget, don't use the gun that has HEAT. It's just terrible and you don't get the super awesome 210 penetration HESH.

cheesehead247365 #13 Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9789 battles
  • [TYCHE]
Thanks Duncan and Rommel, very helpful

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users