Jump to content


Is the IS-4 worth the grind from ST-1?

ST-1 IS-4

  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Padre_ShadowRider #1 Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:22 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 26082 battles
  • 426
  • [18TH]
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016
I really am starting to hate the ST-1.  Slow, very slow, weak gun (bouncing way to many shells). Best part is the hull and fares ok against   lower tiers, but a slug against upper tiers.   Meh against other IX's.   One of my worst WR  tanks.  Think i"ve lost 10 in a row today in that tank.   My question is the IS-4 worth it as a X or just another middling tank? Thinking about dumping this line after the KV-3. I got way too many being low tier games today as well, so that doesn't help. 

NICKEL_AND_DIME #2 Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:32 PM

    Insufficient Loyalty

  • Players
  • 50393 battles
  • 1,677
  • [III]
  • Member since:
    06-29-2014
The IS-4 plays similar to the ST-I.  Is your ST-I fully upgraded with 100% crew?  If not, that is likely a contributing factor to your negative experience with it.


WMd76 #3 Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:33 PM

    Why Am I Never On The Red Team?

  • Players
  • 36583 battles
  • 3,003
  • [CRUEL]
  • Member since:
    01-28-2012
Yes. Definitely. 

3 Years of happiness is what blitz brought to me

 

What Has It Done For You?

(I support +2/-2)


Padre_ShadowRider #4 Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:40 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 26082 battles
  • 426
  • [18TH]
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

crew at 87%

Probably go for other X's instead 

how much improvement of crew to 100% really give you? 

 



TO_Dominator #5 Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:39 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 5129 battles
  • 1,117
  • [FYRE]
  • Member since:
    09-26-2017
Yes!!!!
Seal clubbers won't understand my WR curve.

fever872 #6 Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:46 PM

    More cowbell

  • Players
  • 23668 battles
  • 195
  • [SLC]
  • Member since:
    01-11-2015

25000+ battles and u don’t know if 100% crew has any positives too add? Really st1 I think everyone can agree is a great tank and not sluggish in a straight line like every other heavy except best armor profile at tier 9 

 



Padre_ShadowRider #7 Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:09 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 26082 battles
  • 426
  • [18TH]
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016
I asked HOW MUCH improvement  100% crew, vs. 87%...  what main advantages?  Increase in loading? Doesn't say that. Better aim and less dispersion?   I dunno about not sluggish,  I was going straight and everyone leaves me in the dust. So, I don't think that is an advantage.   Maybe it gives you better match making?  That would make a difference, but I was low tier against 10s today  8 out of 10 matches. 

Edited by Padre_ShadowRider, 11 October 2018 - 10:10 PM.


Tackywheat1 #8 Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:23 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 9938 battles
  • 1,659
  • [FILOB]
  • Member since:
    04-25-2013

View PostPadre_ShadowRider, on 11 October 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

I asked HOW MUCH improvement  100% crew, vs. 87%...  what main advantages?  Increase in loading? Doesn't say that. Better aim and less dispersion?   I dunno about not sluggish,  I was going straight and everyone leaves me in the dust. So, I don't think that is an advantage.   Maybe it gives you better match making?  That would make a difference, but I was low tier against 10s today  8 out of 10 matches. 

 

turret stronk. reverse sidescrape

ALL CREDIT TO SpartacusDiablo

Stopped playing for ~3 years. Semi-inactive

Member of TRPD


vvk2 #9 Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:03 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 59116 battles
  • 1,886
  • [SPUDX]
  • Member since:
    11-29-2014

TBH, If you cannot handle ST-I, IS-4 will be a bigger struggle. 

IS-4 is an excellent tank, arguable the best Tier X heavy at the moment. However, ST-I is actually even better for tier 9 than IS-4 for tier X.

Unless you still run BL-9 or even the stock gun (which would explain your struggle) ST-I and IS-4 share the same gun which is an excellent gun for a Russian heavy btw, so if you cannot pen in ST-I you will have the same issue in IS-4.

ST-I has an almost unpennable turret (again the top one, not the stock). Combined with -8 gun depression it makes ST-I an excellent hull down tank. Overall, ST-I is definitely a better tier 9 tank. 

 



Tackywheat1 #10 Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:43 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 9938 battles
  • 1,659
  • [FILOB]
  • Member since:
    04-25-2013

View Postvvk2, on 13 October 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

TBH, If you cannot handle ST-I, IS-4 will be a bigger struggle. 

IS-4 is an excellent tank, arguable the best Tier X heavy at the moment. However, ST-I is actually even better for tier 9 than IS-4 for tier X.

Unless you still run BL-9 or even the stock gun (which would explain your struggle) ST-I and IS-4 share the same gun which is an excellent gun for a Russian heavy btw, so if you cannot pen in ST-I you will have the same issue in IS-4.

ST-I has an almost unpennable turret (again the top one, not the stock). Combined with -8 gun depression it makes ST-I an excellent hull down tank. Overall, ST-I is definitely a better tier 9 tank. 

 

 

top one cupola is pretty weak and can be penned by tds and heavies with normal ammo and maybe mediums... but cupola is pretty hard to hit...

 

edit: the hardest weak spot to hit imo is the T32's cupola.. (I actually penned a hulldown T32 through the cupola once)


Edited by Tackywheat1, 14 October 2018 - 01:44 AM.

ALL CREDIT TO SpartacusDiablo

Stopped playing for ~3 years. Semi-inactive

Member of TRPD


vvk2 #11 Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:09 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 59116 battles
  • 1,886
  • [SPUDX]
  • Member since:
    11-29-2014

View PostTackywheat1, on 13 October 2018 - 08:43 PM, said:

 

top one cupola is pretty weak and can be penned by tds and heavies with normal ammo and maybe mediums... but cupola is pretty hard to hit...

 

edit: the hardest weak spot to hit imo is the T32's cupola.. (I actually penned a hulldown T32 through the cupola once)

 

ST-I's hatch is the only weak spot and it is hard to hit - compared to say E-75, which is another great tier 9 tank. Two other great hull down contestors, T30 and M103 both have weak cheeks.

Out of all tier 9s, ST-I has the best turret. 

And yes, T32 turret is very tough as well, I like it better than M103/E5. 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users