autobounce 5.4

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #1 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:57 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10272 battles
  • [COD]

I remember sometime around the last Twister Cup (or maybe the one before it, I forgot) when Bushka discussed WG's future ideas for competitive play, namely their plan to change the meta at tier X each year. As it happened, I think that conversation came about as they were discussing the mediums' fall from grace after 3.6; prior to that they were the dominant force at tier X, but they were soon replaced by superheavies and IS-4s.

So, if this autobounce removal is intentional (which I think it is), then I think WG is signalling the approach of a new meta. Since 3.6, they haven't done any mass nerfs to heavies as far as I can remember; this new autobounce removal would be the first of its kind in a long time. If mediums are coming back to competitive games, I'm all for it as from my (a spectator's) perspective, this rock-humping, HEAT-spamming bounce-fest is getting a slight bit stale.

I love nothing more / Than my beautiful, succulent chins . . .

Co-founder of the Training Room Police Department (TRPD)

Looking for a tournament clan? Click here.

_Weeping_Angel_ #2 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:15 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 44787 battles
  • [501DV]
Interesting take. 

Absolute_Sniper #3 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:38 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28677 battles
  • [CRU2L]

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 12 October 2018 - 01:57 AM, said:

I remember sometime around the last Twister Cup (or maybe the one before it, I forgot) when Bushka discussed WG's future ideas for competitive play, namely their plan to change the meta at tier X each year. As it happened, I think that conversation came about as they were discussing the mediums' fall from grace after 3.6; prior to that they were the dominant force at tier X, but they were soon replaced by superheavies and IS-4s.

So, if this autobounce removal is intentional (which I think it is), then I think WG is signalling the approach of a new meta. Since 3.6, they haven't done any mass nerfs to heavies as far as I can remember; this new autobounce removal would be the first of its kind in a long time. If mediums are coming back to competitive games, I'm all for it as from my (a spectator's) perspective, this rock-humping, HEAT-spamming bounce-fest is getting a slight bit stale.

Autobounce removal? Where did you see that?

reluctanttheist #4 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:41 AM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 23138 battles
  • [III-H]

Minitel has shown that the 20° angle which would have previously produced a bounce of any incoming AP or APCR shell less than 3x the armor thickness now often results in a penetration.  

This may in fact be unintended and that’s my expectation at this time. 

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #5 Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:30 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10272 battles
  • [COD]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 11 October 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

Minitel has shown that the 20° angle which would have previously produced a bounce of any incoming AP or APCR shell less than 3x the armor thickness now often results in a penetration.  

This may in fact be unintended and that’s my expectation at this time. 

At first, I thought there was no way the change was unintentional, as I assume the code for the autobounce would run independent of the addition of, for example, a new event. Although, looking back, there have been several instances where an adjustment produced a completely unrelated bug, e.g. chat/settings button squishing and disappearing replays. 

However, I don't recall any bug of that sort (independent of the change that was made) ever affecting a core game mechanic, especially such an important one as the 20-degree autobounce.

Tackywheat1 #6 Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:32 AM

the one and only ELC

• Players
  • 11015 battles
  • [ONWRD]
with autobounce... rip batchat

ALL CREDIT TO SpartacusDiablo

Stopped playing for ~3 years. Semi-inactive

Member of TRPD

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #7 Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:59 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10272 battles
  • [COD]

View PostTackywheat1, on 11 October 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

with autobounce... rip batchat

Oh yeah...that thing. The upper glacis was just ridiculous and bogus. I am so glad it won't have its intermittent Maus upper plate anymore.

reluctanttheist #8 Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:10 AM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 23138 battles
  • [III-H]

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 11 October 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

At first, I thought there was no way the change was unintentional, as I assume the code for the autobounce would run independent of the addition of, for example, a new event. Although, looking back, there have been several instances where an adjustment produced a completely unrelated bug, e.g. chat/settings button squishing and disappearing replays. 

However, I don't recall any bug of that sort (independent of the change that was made) ever affecting a core game mechanic, especially such an important one as the 20-degree autobounce.

Two words: regression testing.  I think this is an unintended bug that resulted from another unrelated change to the code of the game.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

rosgrim #9 Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:16 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 55226 battles
  • [COD]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 12 October 2018 - 05:10 AM, said:

Two words: regression testing.  I think this is an unintended bug that resulted from another unrelated change to the code of the game.

intentional or unintentional for my experience in game it is now a reality (I had the doubt it was not, it was just episodes that still I already noticed). Today I focused on that and the 20-degree is gone. A lot of example in battle that i watch again to be sure. For decent players this is very bad.

Posit1ve_ #10 Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:21 AM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 44991 battles
  • [_V_]
The autobounce mechanic is still there. Don't get your panties in a wad

301 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

CK_GoldenNuggets #11 Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:04 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26423 battles
  • [501DV]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 12 October 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

Agreed, there is no evidence to prove said mechanic is not currently working. A couple tests in a training room are not enough proof either. You would need thousands of shots to gather reliable data before coming to a conclusion. I just had a game 30 minutes ago where I bounced a waffle tier 9 with the side of my T34 (50mm of side armor) 3 times. That shouldnt be possible if the mechanic is broken. 

"Level of Unicums" - Zennosha:

http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1

___ez_e___ #12 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 58496 battles
  • [FUZY]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 12 October 2018 - 01:21 AM, said:

I think it’s still there, but it’s been altered.   By how much is anyone’s guess.  

I’m beginning to side with op.   It was or is an intentional change or test for data points on balancing.  

Edited by ___ez_e___, 12 October 2018 - 02:12 PM.

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #13 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:17 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10272 battles
  • [COD]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 12 October 2018 - 12:21 AM, said:

My panties are in perfect condition right now, because guess what? I’m a medium player hehe

TO_Dominator #14 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6395 battles
  • [FYRE]
So the solution for tier X meta is to Nerf heavies? Why do you think there are so many heavies? Because of TDs!
Seal clubbers won't understand my WR curve.

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #15 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10272 battles
  • [COD]

View PostTO_Dominator, on 12 October 2018 - 08:33 AM, said:

So the solution for tier X meta is to Nerf heavies? Why do you think there are so many heavies? Because of TDs!

What are you talking about? I never mentioned a problem or a solution to it.

TO_Dominator #16 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6395 battles
  • [FYRE]

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 12 October 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

What are you talking about? I never mentioned a problem or a solution to it.

Not you the devs
Seal clubbers won't understand my WR curve.

SanguinaryDan #17 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15440 battles
  • [III-R]
In the few games I’ve played recently I’ve seen no evidence that autobounce isn’t working exactly the same way it always has. Plenty of large caliber, high pen rounds bouncing off of highly angled armor all the time. 
The point of the game is to win.  The purpose of the game is to have fun.  They are not mutually exclusive.

Posit1ve_ #18 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:38 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 44991 battles
  • [_V_]

Also, Urgle, if there were no ricochet mechanic, meds would be the ones taking the brunt of that. Heavies have enough side armor such that when placed at wide angles, they’ll still have enough raw thickness to bounce shells. Meds benefit more from auto-bounce mechanics, having much thinner armor plates than heavies. If there were no ricochet mechanics, you could still sidescrape in an E-75, but not in an E-50.

Also, last night I tested it again. Skipped several 50 B APCR shells off the side of a PzB2. Ricochet is still there. If bouncing 340mm pen APCR shells off 60mm of armor isn’t enough proof, I don’t know what is.

Edited by Posit1ve_, 12 October 2018 - 02:40 PM.

301 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #19 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10272 battles
  • [COD]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 12 October 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

Also, Urgle, if there were no ricochet mechanic, meds would be the ones taking the brunt of that. Heavies have enough side armor such that when placed at wide angles, they’ll still have enough raw thickness to bounce shells. Meds benefit more from auto-bounce mechanics, having much thinner armor plates than heavies. If there were no ricochet mechanics, you could still sidescrape in an E-75, but not in an E-50.

Also, last night I tested it again. Skipped several 50 B APCR shells off the side of a PzB2. Ricochet is still there. If bouncing 340mm pen APCR shells off 60mm of armor isn’t enough proof, I don’t know what is.

You make a good point, though I don’t think mediums should be relying on autobounce as the primary defensive tool.

According to armor inspector, an angle less than 13 degrees would produce enough effective thickness to bounce 340mm pen APCR even without autobounce. And I think this whole issue would be made a lot simpler by an explanation from WG; it all seems a bit cloudy to me at the moment. Your evidence is more than acceptable, but so is Minitel’s.

0V3RCL0CK3D_N00B #20 Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:17 PM

The IT guy

• Players
  • 38099 battles
  • [_V_]
I mean, they fee changes that may have been noticed could have been an implementation of the secondary overmatch mechanic from PC... [If your Gun caliber is 2x that if the armor plate you are shooting, AP and APCR will receive an increase to normalization]

LYE Discord: DUX2Pr4 | PNCR Discord: xEcB9UY

Click Image for My YouTube Channel

Also tagged with autobounce, 5.4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users