Maverick's Minute, Pt. 1: Why Medium Tanks are still Relevant at Tier 10

Mediums Tier 10 Mavericks Minute

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Maverick's Minute, Pt. 1: Why Medium Tanks are still Relevant at Tier 10 (50 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Well, ARE they relevant?

1. Of course (43 votes [86.00%])

Percentage of vote: 86.00%

2. You have to be joking (7 votes [14.00%])

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

Assuming you had a medium at Tier 10, would you play it as much as your heavies or TD's?

1. Of course (36 votes [72.00%])

Percentage of vote: 72.00%

2. I don't have a death wish, sorry (14 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

Vote Hide poll

__Frostbite #1 Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:24 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 25578 battles
  • [-0]

Hey all, 

I'll be introducing a new forum-exclusive called "Maverick's Minute." I'll be writing some food for thought, WoTB style, that should take only a minute or two to read through. I'm curious as to what responses I'll be getting, and I'd like to ask you to please add to the discussion with some thought-provoking comments. Most of these threads will be written during my Pre-Calc class which has me bored out of my head, so expect most of these threads in this series to come out at 11 am or so, PST. I'll be trying to write these every other day, we'll see with how many ideas I can come up with. This is all part of my new commitment to make this forum a better place. Thanks again for reading.

Who's had a HESH shell fired by a 183 pen your medium at Tier X? I think everyone has if you've played enough battles and you own a medium. Regardless of how well you play, it's inevitable that eventually, you will get slapped with a 1300 damage HESH round. And part of that reason is why there are some people that will never play mediums at Tier X again.

But I have a different opinion. 

Medium tanks are ESSENTIAL to winning at Tier 10. I'm not just talking about getting off initial spots. Almost every battle at Tier 10 requires a flank or secondary push to win. If a team's mediums do not do their job well enough, it can be catastrophic for a team to win. When I drive a medium, I know that my actions are usually the most important for my team to win. Damage is part of it, but there are so many other factors. Spotting and rotating are also necessary. 

Usually when I drive my mediums, I end up driving the most meters on my team, without having to check. I spend half of my time driving to new locations and half of my time holding angles. Most heavies and TD's don't even realize how much a skilled medium driver has to balance during a game. 

So consider that next time you're in a heavy or TD. Mediums need a few things to do their job. One, to not have to frontline. Mediums are much better utilized playing second line, and their DPM and mobility goes to waste when they have to frontline. Second, they will occasionally have to get in 1v1 brawls with red mediums. TD's, keep an eye out for such threats and prioritize targets that are threatening your mediums. 

Thanks,

Maverick

Edited by I_Maverick_I, 16 October 2018 - 06:22 AM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join WoT Blitz's official English Discord server!!

Click me!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frost#3656) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SpartacusDiablo #2 Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:28 PM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 26233 battles
  • [III-R]
I agree.  Meds are the only tank I play at tier X and it is laughable to see all the heavies hiding behind the TD's in spawn.

Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.

VelociTanker #3 Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:09 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15265 battles
  • [STPLR]

This is useful information that I will file away in the hopes of doing better.

OFF TO GULAG WITH YOU.

Bias Much? KV-1 blocks 5,525 damage / 6 kills 

T34-1 2809 dmg Kolobanov replay on Mines
5.5 aka "The Great Nerfening" © VelociTanker LLC

Sulli_80 #4 Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:51 PM

Private

• Players
  • 37684 battles
  • [III]
Very good points, hopefully it'll help make others better players, thanks Maverick

__Crusader6__ #5 Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:30 PM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 60392 battles
  • [-C6-]

I vastly prefer mediums in pubbie matches.  

It gives you the flexibility to deal with the reds a lot more.   

Mainly as you very often can’t rely on your team- and a med gives you the flexibility needed to fill holes. 

Tank Hoarder: 386 tanks in Garage:  381/390 aced,    wallet warrior.  Loyal Original M60 owner

Sorry I haven’t aced the Smasher yet - So I’m still ruining tier 6-8 

Absolute_Sniper #6 Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 38285 battles
  • [CRU2L]

View PostSpartacusDiablo, on 15 October 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

I agree. Meds are the only tank I play at tier X and it is laughable to see all the heavies hiding behind the TD's in spawn.

Low key welcome back

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

TO_Dominator #7 Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:34 PM

Divine Punishment

• Players
  • 10791 battles
  • [SASK2]
Of course they are relevant, but is it worth the punishment?

"Blitz" can't exist within a world of TDs.

Fu_Manchu_ #8 Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11504 battles
  • [CLEAR]
Welcome back Spart. I suck at tier X (still early days), so I prefer the security of a heavy. Someday, I will hopefully not be such a tier X nub and will get back into my T-62 A.

AKA HanYolo_.

oicram1 #9 Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:07 PM

Mono Prime

• Players
  • 39524 battles
  • [TFL1]
Seriously, where have you been SpartacusDiablo? 

825cba95454ea2639f69dfdd6250bd23.jpg?151

THE_Viajero #10 Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:13 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24755 battles
  • [BHOTT]

View PostSpartacusDiablo, on 15 October 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

I agree. Meds are the only tank I play at tier X and it is laughable to see all the heavies hiding behind the TD's in spawn.

HOLY $HIT! YOU ARE BACK!  \(*o*)/

... also, i agree, mediums and heavy-mediums (not normal heavies and super heavy tanks) are relavant, especialy whit the spam of TD's as they are the only tanks that can actualy push, scoud and flank.

I mean, you can push and flack a wall of TD's in a Maus, E-100, IS-4 or an IS-7, the same way you can run in a school naked, you can do it but is a bad idea and you will get in problems, so i prefer to have mediums (and maybe heavy-mediums) doing that

PS: Wellcome back Diablo 

Edited by THE_Viajero, 15 October 2018 - 10:15 PM.

Viajero means Traveler 

:B

People complain when the ping goes to 100 but I have always play whit 150~ of ping 

ps: I'm a not native English speaker, so, sorry for any mistakes (or maybe the autocorrector trolled me XD) 

SpartacusDiablo #11 Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:18 PM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 26233 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostAbsolute_Sniper, on 15 October 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Low key welcome back

View PostFu_Manchu_, on 15 October 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

Welcome back Spart. I suck at tier X (still early days), so I prefer the security of a heavy. Someday, I will hopefully not be such a tier X nub and will get back into my T-62 A.

View PostTHE_Viajero, on 15 October 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

HOLY $HIT! YOU ARE BACK!  \(*o*)/

... also, i agree, mediums and heavy-mediums (not normal heavies and super heavy tanks) are relavant, especialy whit the spam of TD's as they are the only tanks that can actualy push, scoud and flank.

I mean, you can push and flack a wall of TD's in a Maus, E-100, IS-4 or an IS-7, the same way you can run in a school naked, you can do it but is a bad idea and you will get in problems, so i prefer to have mediums (and maybe heavy-mediums) doing that

PS: Wellcome back Diablo 

Low key thanks all.  I tried to quit but I made the mistake of lurking... I managed to resist the posting urge for a month but then I failed in a moment of weakness.  

___ez_e___ #12 Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 63167 battles
  • [GORT]

Welcome back SD!

You know as an older guy, when I started playing I had reasoned that I would probably be best in a heavy since I factored in a deterioration of reaction time. 

Now that I’m playing way more tier X, I realized I can play mediums at higher tiers.  Mediums at low tier 3-5 are so small and fast I had trouble controlling them effectively.     

I also realize Mediums seems overall more effective for the current meta.   Since the current meta is crazy, the mediums have the greatest flexibility to deal with the crazies.    That’s really it in a nut shell.  

Edited by ___ez_e___, 15 October 2018 - 10:50 PM.

SpartacusDiablo #13 Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:03 PM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 26233 battles
  • [III-R]

View Post___ez_e___, on 15 October 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

Welcome back SD!

You know as an older guy, when I started playing I had reasoned that I would probably be best in a heavy since I factored in a deterioration of reaction time. 

Now that I’m playing way more tier X, I realized I can play mediums at higher tiers.  Mediums at low tier 3-5 are so small and fast I had trouble controlling them effectively.     

I also realize Mediums seems overall more effective for the current meta.   Since the current meta is crazy, the mediums have the greatest flexibility to deal with the crazies.    That’s really it in a nut shell.  

Thanks man!  

The biggest issue I had going from mid tier to high tier mediums was learning to control my aggression.  Aggression is still very much necessary in high tier medium play but you have to walk the razors edge to avoid being smacked down hard by the plethora of tank destroyers waiting for you.

I also made the mistake of taking the Soviet meds to tier X first.  I struggle in low gun depression tanks and the Soviet mediums are a bad fit for me.  I have found the FV4202 to be a far more enjoyable tank to play.  Next stop for me will be the 48 Patton.  

SullBhit #14 Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:17 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30557 battles
  • [CLEAR]
Maverick - first... a big thank you!

My highest med / light is tier 8.  Just from that I can attest to the challenges of flanking.   I think you left out some very relevant points:

- For heavies and TDS, as your sitting on the front, you need to be aware of your flankers.  If they have pushed around and start to take all of the red’s attention, you need to leap into action and start pushing a bit.  Don’t risk too much but you can’t let the entire red team turn and kill the flank while you sit in cover.  Remind those reds there’s a front to worry about.
- Teams that ‘stay together’ meaning every tank is within 100 meters of each other are doomed to fail.  The meds responsibility is to push out the viewing range.   They need to let the heavies and TDS know where the reds are AND where they’re not.
- Don’t confuse Maverick’s ‘second line’ as meaning meds should follow behind the heavies.   Early in the game, meds are likely more ‘front’.  They just don’t stay there if they’re smart.

SpartacusDiablo #15 Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:21 PM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 26233 battles
  • [III-R]
Maverick, thanks for creating This Thread. This is the type of content at The Forum needs more of.

minitel_NA #16 Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostSpartacusDiablo, on 15 October 2018 - 11:21 PM, said:

Maverick, thanks for creating This Thread. This is the type of content at The Forum needs more of.

*relief*

Welcome back on board commandant.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

__Crusader6__ #17 Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:53 PM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 60392 battles
  • [-C6-]

View Post___ez_e___, on 15 October 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

Welcome back SD!

My meds for X are 62.5% for the current period with 345 games 

My heavies and TD’s drag me down significantly of late. 

No team can survive without Meds, Heavies or TD’s — I find it easier to help my team in a Med. 

Mainly as often I find my green meds aren’t significant enough to help me as a TD or Heavy. 

Edited by __Crusader6__, 15 October 2018 - 11:59 PM.

Tank Hoarder: 386 tanks in Garage:  381/390 aced,    wallet warrior.  Loyal Original M60 owner

Sorry I haven’t aced the Smasher yet - So I’m still ruining tier 6-8 

townsyndrome2isnotajoke #18 Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:34 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 301 battles
I know this sounds wierd but I'm hating the lupus. I have also found meds(haven't had too much high tier xp) to be so much fun. Gun handling on hevs annoys the crap out of me(I'm looking at u 122 mm)

Defaultz #19 Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:03 AM

Yolos get you Kolos

• Players
  • 31431 battles
  • [STEEB]
T10 mediums are not relevant. Fun at times, sure, but most are not competitive and none are consistent. Its nice to relish in "good dynamics" and gun handling, but when it comes down to influencing the game its reality that tanks with presence and guns that do more than tickle the enemy are still tops.

Gavidoc01 #20 Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:25 AM

Platinum Card Wallet Warrior

• Players
  • 42740 battles
  • [III]

I view mediums at tier x like pawns in chess. 

Block Quote

…to play the pawns well; they are the soul of chess: it is they which uniquely determine the attack and the defense, and on their good or bad arrangement depends entirely the winning or losing of the game.

Chessmaster Philidor

Pretty much sums up effective and ineffective medium play. A team with 5 meds and 2 heavies will eliminate a team of 4 heavies and 3 tds at X if the meds know what they are doing. 

Edited by Gavidoc01, 16 October 2018 - 03:26 AM.

My Blitzstars

I'm a Platinum Card Wallet Warrior.

You’re welcome for supporting the game. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users